Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

charliebravo77 posted:

Fuji XF10 on hand all the time is proving to be pretty useful. Fixed focal length is challenging sometimes, though.

How's the AF? At release the camera got slated for it, have any firmware updates improved things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

How's the AF? At release the camera got slated for it, have any firmware updates improved things?

It's...quirky.

I've only had it a month or so and I immediately updated the firmware when I got it since I had read the initial release was not great. I'd say like 20% of the time the AF is just plain crazy, focusing on background objects when taking portraits even with Eye/Face AF enabled. I have "solved" it by using smaller focus areas/points and using back button AF along with manual focus peaking. I got it to always have a decent camera on me and to take backpacking for landscapes so for those purposes I'm not terribly displeased with it. It also sometimes has a mind of its own and won't actually change settings despite what the menu says until you either power off/on or worse, pop the battery. It's only happened 2-3 times so far but it's annoying. I think I might have been a little bit happier with the GRIII but not 2x the price happier. Overall I like it and under the right conditions takes some really great photos.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

charliebravo77 posted:

I think I might have been a little bit happier with the GRIII but not 2x the price happier. Overall I like it and under the right conditions takes some really great photos.

Yeah exact same thoughts I've been having. The griii looks great (except battery life) but that price is a little insane especially as the xf10 has such similar specs etc and half the price. I was hoping fuji would have fixed the AF issues with firmware since they have such a good reputation for updating their cameras well after release.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah exact same thoughts I've been having. The griii looks great (except battery life) but that price is a little insane especially as the xf10 has such similar specs etc and half the price. I was hoping fuji would have fixed the AF issues with firmware since they have such a good reputation for updating their cameras well after release.

FWIW the AF issues I have had were almost exclusively in low light - in daylight I have basically zero issues with the current firmware and AF functions.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sutherland by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Goddamn this is cool. Nice job!

---

Tofino, BC by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Love these

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Great, as always, Helen Highwater.

DSCF0451.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

DSCF0201.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 28, 2019

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm wondering then why my photos look less sharp than what's generally posted in the landscape thread. I shoot around 1/100, f11, iso 100 with a Nikon D5300 and Sigma 17-50 2.8. I try to make sure I use a good focal distance to get foreground and background in focus. Perhaps they post process in Lightroom better or have better sensors?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

huhu posted:

I'm wondering then why my photos look less sharp than what's generally posted in the landscape thread. I shoot around 1/100, f11, iso 100 with a Nikon D5300 and Sigma 17-50 2.8. I try to make sure I use a good focal distance to get foreground and background in focus. Perhaps they post process in Lightroom better or have better sensors?

At f/11 you're getting diffraction softening.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

huhu posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I haven't posted in a while!

smith rock, oregon

skaggs island, ca

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
2019_Iceland_026 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_023 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_018 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sick

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Your photos were taken about 175km to the south-west of mine.

I've been following your flickr and insta feeds...how did you like the NCT?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Rot posted:

Your photos were taken about 175km to the south-west of mine.

I've been following your flickr and insta feeds...how did you like the NCT?

It was good, decent conditions and weather, not busy. It was not as difficult as I was expecting but we also had a relaxed schedule, still trying to work through the photos. It's certainly a more remote trail compared to some of the other more popular costal hikes on the island but certainly not the most isolated and had decent infrastructure. I will say that I think some people underestimate it, on our first day the water taxi that dropped us off was supposed to pick someone up. We saw the coast guard pick them up that afternoon from further down the trail. If you have any questions let me know.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Dread Head posted:

It was good, decent conditions and weather, not busy. It was not as difficult as I was expecting but we also had a relaxed schedule, still trying to work through the photos. It's certainly a more remote trail compared to some of the other more popular costal hikes on the island but certainly not the most isolated and had decent infrastructure. I will say that I think some people underestimate it, on our first day the water taxi that dropped us off was supposed to pick someone up. We saw the coast guard pick them up that afternoon from further down the trail. If you have any questions let me know.

That sounds great. Did you have to get a permit to do the trail?

Funny you mention the hikers getting a pick up, I'm pretty sure I know the CG crew that got them.

Since I moved to the interior about 3 years ago I basically only get back to the coast for work. One of these months I'm going to have to make an effort to do some hiking in the island.

DSCF0846.jpg

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Rot posted:

That sounds great. Did you have to get a permit to do the trail?

Funny you mention the hikers getting a pick up, I'm pretty sure I know the CG crew that got them.

Since I moved to the interior about 3 years ago I basically only get back to the coast for work. One of these months I'm going to have to make an effort to do some hiking in the island.

DSCF0846.jpg

No permits, just a nightly back country camping fee ($10), also have to pay for a water taxi and a shuttle back into town if you don't have a car in the parking lot since it is not a loop. I have done lots of hiking on the island so if you have any questions/recommendations let me know.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
2019_Iceland_027 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_030 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

2019_Iceland_032 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mount Seymour Stream by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This is very nice

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

This is very nice

Thanks, but I can't unsee the converging lines. Must get tilt-shift.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks, but I can't unsee the converging lines. Must get tilt-shift.

photoshop's perspective crop tool is much easier

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Just some car park stuff.

Mortdale by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Menai by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

In the background is our old crew van. It's...seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rot posted:

In the background is our old crew van. It's...seen things you people wouldn't believe.

These are magnificent.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Megabound posted:

These are magnificent.

Thanks.

It's pretty photogenic country - I don't think I really do it justice.

What thread should I post pictures of just random stuff? They aren't landscapes or anything, just odds and ends and weird things I find interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

They feel like you left them in the filter cooker for longer than needed.