Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The HR sensor isn't the most accurate during exercise, but that applies to every PPG sensor basically. Fitbit, Garmin et al, all the same poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

The HR sensor isn't the most accurate during exercise, but that applies to every PPG sensor basically. Fitbit, Garmin et al, all the same poo poo show.

This is true, but I wanted to point out that part of the poo poo show is that the heart sensor is inconsistently inconsistent. In other words, for some people they seem to work better than for others.

As I mentioned a few posts back my current Charge 2 HR sensor is not terribly worse than my Polar chest strap.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, a Pixel 3. It works normally, Samsung addressed that.
Dang, if I didn't have really small wrists that sounds like a great solution for me. I'm worried even the 42mm would be too big. The Pebble Time and Versa are the only things that haven't looked comically large on me so far. :(

Maybe the Galaxy Watch Active, since it's 40mm? That's barely larger than the Versa...

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Thermopyle posted:

This is true, but I wanted to point out that part of the poo poo show is that the heart sensor is inconsistently inconsistent. In other words, for some people they seem to work better than for others.

As I mentioned a few posts back my current Charge 2 HR sensor is not terribly worse than my Polar chest strap.

That's mostly due to the type of exercise people do. Steady state will naturally lead to much more accurate numbers than HIIT or workouts like strength training, where they become useless.

Speaking of, I've switched from Sporty Watch to Gear Tracker. Sporty kept rebooting my watch at random times. Rarely enough to not be a deal-breaker, but still annoying. I talked to the dev about it but he couldn't figure out the cause.

Gear Tracker has no trouble connecting to my chest strap, doesn't seem to eat too much battery, has plenty of customization options and it's an actual app, not a watchface, which is a nice bonus. Haven't used it outside yet to test GPS tracking, distance, etc., though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fondue posted:

I'm glad to read this, I've had my eye on one since January. Do you excercise and use it? I read some bad reviews about its ability to track workouts.

Sorry for my slow reply to this!

I don't like wearing a watch at the gym so I don't use it to track those workouts. I have, however, used it so far for both cycling and hiking, and it works just great. Tracks steps, elevation, heartrate, distance, and maps my GPS track of my hike too. It actually auto-detected when I was on my bike and seemed pretty accurate? I always doubt those automatic workout detection things though.

The caveat that the other use mentioned about the heartrate sensor is true though. It's merely "okay". Not sure accurate or fast when reading heartrate on demand. That's one benefit my old Garmin definitely had, that heartrate sensor was amazing.

I charged my Galaxy Watch last night too, it hit 30% and I didn't want it to have issues today at all. But yeah, so that's 4 day battery life to hit 30%. Just incredible for a full-featured smartwatch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm a douchebag so I get about a day and half charge by running watch full brightness and always on. If I leave for the weekend it's cool to know I can make my gear S3 last the entire time without charging.

Also $110 for the frontier S3 this past weekend on Amazon and Costco was a hell of a deal

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm a douchebag so I get about a day and half charge by running watch full brightness and always on. If I leave for the weekend it's cool to know I can make my gear S3 last the entire time without charging.

Also $110 for the frontier S3 this past weekend on Amazon and Costco was a hell of a deal

If you throw it into the battery saving mode where it just shows a basic dim b&w clock instead of a full watch face and widgets, etc, you can squeeze like a week out of it. Samsung is nailing these watches, this is ensuring I never touch Wear again thankfully.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I’ve been trying out the Garmin vivosport and it’s been fine so far. Biggest complaint is that Garmin Connect has only offers single session stats for activities that aren’t running / swimming / cycling / walking. I want to be able to track the different sports I play damnit. I can fake it by saying I’m swimming when I’m actually playing basketball but it’s annoying and seems so short sighted on Garmin’s behalf.

It looks like Polar has the most extensive stat tracking and reporting - especially once you go through the website. I’d be willing to try an a370 if the reporting is better. What are current or previous users thoughts on Polar Flow app and website?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cougar cub posted:

I’ve been trying out the Garmin vivosport and it’s been fine so far. Biggest complaint is that Garmin Connect has only offers single session stats for activities that aren’t running / swimming / cycling / walking. I want to be able to track the different sports I play damnit. I can fake it by saying I’m swimming when I’m actually playing basketball but it’s annoying and seems so short sighted on Garmin’s behalf.

It looks like Polar has the most extensive stat tracking and reporting - especially once you go through the website. I’d be willing to try an a370 if the reporting is better. What are current or previous users thoughts on Polar Flow app and website?

I haven't used them in a while, but I assume they're still the same...They're kind of like what you should expect for a company that isn't like a super modern internet-first company. They mostly work, but the UI and UX is subpar.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fitbit: still garbonzo or? Gf likes the versa cause its ~really pretty~ and she's been jealous of my smartwatch having for some time. What other options are out there besides the apple watch that wont look like some kind of prison retention device on the arm of a tiny 5' woman?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
After a few weeks of using the Xiaomi mi band 3 I can confirm it operates exactly as advertised. Users will be splitting up tracking duties between MiFit and Google Fit if you want all the data, but it's not absolutely 100% needed.

I really like the sleep tracking and heatmaps of cycling in the MiFit app. I don't like that exporting data from MiFit to GFit doesn't work well. To be more specific, heart rate data doesn't sync across platforms.

Also sms notifications duplicate. 1 text turns into 3 or 5 depending on how it's feeling on a given day.

For $30 I'm fairly pleased. The band is comfortable and battery life is quite good. I'm on...week 2 or so and am sitting at 53% with HR on for sleep tracking only.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mi is a Xiaomi brand

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'd like to get a smartwatch for my Pixel 2 but I'm torn between the two usual suspects - the Garmin Fenix 5 and the Samsung Galaxy Watch. A coworker of mine has the Samsung and it's real pretty, and the rotating bezel is a pretty cool feature, but I'm worried about compatibility with my phone's apps - namely, using Signal as my SMS app, or TIDAL for my music. I'm looking at the basic Fenix 5 because all the added bells/whistles on the 5X Plus or whatever don't really appeal to me at all, but still unsure if it's a better fit for me than the Samsung. Thoughts?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Notifications seem to work OK. The WhatsApp ones I get, I can reply to fine, without having a Tizen companion app or whatever. Should work the same with Signal.

Also, I wish that Samsung would buy Fitbit, just to get their sleep tracking algorithm. The watch keeps tracking sleep whenever I'm somewhat chill.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wonder how soon the Mi band 4 will become available. Gf has been looking enviously at my Huawei Watch but wants something thats not huge. The price is certainly right and would be a great first step into the smartwatch world. Her birthday is late July.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I had to finally retire my original Samsung Gear Fit and am in need of a new watch/fitness tracker. The only catch is my job does not allow any watch that can receive texts/call notifications. I also don't have my phone for the 12 hours I'm at work so I'd like to have something I can sync to an app at the end of the workday (I used OpenFit before). Am I hosed? It seems like all activity trackers have phone/text notifications and require a constant connection with a phone. Any suggestions?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Untrustable posted:

I had to finally retire my original Samsung Gear Fit and am in need of a new watch/fitness tracker. The only catch is my job does not allow any watch that can receive texts/call notifications. I also don't have my phone for the 12 hours I'm at work so I'd like to have something I can sync to an app at the end of the workday (I used OpenFit before). Am I hosed? It seems like all activity trackers have phone/text notifications and require a constant connection with a phone. Any suggestions?

Maybe I’m confused but if you don’t have your phone why would the calls text thing matter?

Like with the Apple Watch if you aren’t near your phone (and don’t have the cell version) you don’t get any of those notifications.

Is your phone close enough where the BT would pick it up? Alternatively you could just switch the BT on your phone off at work and you wouldn’t get the notifications.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m confused but if you don’t have your phone why would the calls text thing matter?

Like with the Apple Watch if you aren’t near your phone (and don’t have the cell version) you don’t get any of those notifications.

Is your phone close enough where the BT would pick it up? Alternatively you could just switch the BT on your phone off at work and you wouldn’t get the notifications.

At my job I actually have to submit what watch I'm using and they check what features it has (stupid federal employee poo poo). I got away with the Gear because it was so old none of the notification functionality worked anymore (hence using OpenFit to sync the data to Google Health).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Untrustable posted:

At my job I actually have to submit what watch I'm using and they check what features it has (stupid federal employee poo poo). I got away with the Gear because it was so old none of the notification functionality worked anymore (hence using OpenFit to sync the data to Google Health).

Oh... ok yeah that’s gonna be a problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does this Garmin get notifications? I can't tell from the website.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/582444

It says "smartphone connectivity", but I'm unclear if that just means syncing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Uthor posted:

Does this Garmin get notifications? I can't tell from the website.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/582444

It says "smartphone connectivity", but I'm unclear if that just means syncing.

It will mirror notifications from the phone but that feature could be disabled. If you want the barebonest activity tracker I would suggest a withings go or hybrid watch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This seems like a stupid question (and the wrong thread?), but:
I have a FitBit Inspire HR and an Android phone. I use Strava and the FitBit app (and occasionally the Google Fit app, but not much). I have no idea how to track a session on a stationary bike.

Strava doesn't have anything in the app. I can log into the website and log it as an "indoor" ride, but that's not really the same thing.

The FitBit app doesn't have the function to track anything beyond a walk, a run, or a hike. I can manually add an exercise, but no option about riding a stationary bike. The app picks up my elevated heart rate, but doesn't designate it as an "exercise".

When I added an indoor ride in Strava, it syncs with FitBit, but, like, several hours off from when I exercised and double counts my calories burned.

I can track a stationary bike ride in Fit, but that doesn't sync with Strava or FitBit, and is thus useless for me.

Doing an after-the-fact indoor ride in Strava is my best bet, but there has got to be an easier way to say that I exercised on a stationary bike in either a fitness tracking app or a cycling app!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

This seems like a stupid question (and the wrong thread?), but:
I have a FitBit Inspire HR and an Android phone. I use Strava and the FitBit app (and occasionally the Google Fit app, but not much). I have no idea how to track a session on a stationary bike.

Strava doesn't have anything in the app. I can log into the website and log it as an "indoor" ride, but that's not really the same thing.

The FitBit app doesn't have the function to track anything beyond a walk, a run, or a hike. I can manually add an exercise, but no option about riding a stationary bike. The app picks up my elevated heart rate, but doesn't designate it as an "exercise".

When I added an indoor ride in Strava, it syncs with FitBit, but, like, several hours off from when I exercised and double counts my calories burned.

I can track a stationary bike ride in Fit, but that doesn't sync with Strava or FitBit, and is thus useless for me.

Doing an after-the-fact indoor ride in Strava is my best bet, but there has got to be an easier way to say that I exercised on a stationary bike in either a fitness tracking app or a cycling app!
Does the fitbit app have an option for spinning or a spinner? With my charge 2, in the app you can go to exercise shortcuts and add spinning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Does the fitbit app have an option for spinning or a spinner? With my charge 2, in the app you can go to exercise shortcuts and add spinning.

Aha!

:cheers:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Turns out fitbit versas aren't actually water proof and will mess up if you swim with them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Glad I didn't keep mine, then!

(spent a week swimming on vacation with my Inspire HR, including in salt water, without any issues)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im looking at getting a hybrid watch because I dislike having to charge my fitbit every few days. If I can stretch that out to once a month I would be much happier. The main things I am looking for are gps and heart rate monitor plus a look that doesnt scream "This is a smart watch". Any suggestions?

I have looked at the withings hr sport, a bunch of the fossils and some other random ones, but they all fall down somewhere. Do I need to adjust my expectations?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NPR Journalizard posted:

Do I need to adjust my expectations?

Yeah, it's impossible to get a watch with GPS and HR monitoring that also lasts a month. With HR monitoring only you can get maybe a week tops and GPS has always been a battery hog. Watches are just too small to really stretch it any further, you would need batteries that are an order of magnitude more powerful to pull it off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I saw this recently. I didn't dig in deep enough to know if it requires a phone to run or if it can sync at the end of the day.

3D Fitness Tracker & Real Time Audio Coach, Moov Now:Swimming Running Water Resistant Activity Calories Tracker with Sleep Monitor, Bluetooth Smart Wristband for Android and iOS, Stealth Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX26IP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-LZiDb14TZY8K

Saw it here:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/guidemaster-best-fitness-trackers/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im looking at getting a hybrid watch because I dislike having to charge my fitbit every few days. If I can stretch that out to once a month I would be much happier.
Top up the battery whenever you go for a shower/bath.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

isndl posted:

Yeah, it's impossible to get a watch with GPS and HR monitoring that also lasts a month. With HR monitoring only you can get maybe a week tops and GPS has always been a battery hog. Watches are just too small to really stretch it any further, you would need batteries that are an order of magnitude more powerful to pull it off.

Sigh, I thought that might be the case. Might have to ditch the gps then. Thanks for the info.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Uthor posted:

I saw this recently. I didn't dig in deep enough to know if it requires a phone to run or if it can sync at the end of the day.

3D Fitness Tracker & Real Time Audio Coach, Moov Now:Swimming Running Water Resistant Activity Calories Tracker with Sleep Monitor, Bluetooth Smart Wristband for Android and iOS, Stealth Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX26IP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-LZiDb14TZY8K

Saw it here:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/guidemaster-best-fitness-trackers/

I really like the look of those and I hear they work great. Only problem is it doesn't tell time. I frankensteined my Gear Fit back in order so I'll keep using it until it needs to be replaced and then I'll just get a Moov and ask my employees for the time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just got a Vivoactive 3 and wow the band is short. I don't have huge wrists or anything, buy I'm about 3 clicks from the end. I guess I'm used to having a lot more slack after the buckle with my Casio.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm really digging this Galaxy Smartwatch so far, but should I not be able to read text messages on it? It just shows 'new message from _____', with options to respond, but I can't actually see the messages. I'm on a Pixel 2, and my SMS app is Signal (though I do use WhatsApp and some others from time to time).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm really digging this Galaxy Smartwatch so far, but should I not be able to read text messages on it? It just shows 'new message from _____', with options to respond, but I can't actually see the messages. I'm on a Pixel 2, and my SMS app is Signal (though I do use WhatsApp and some others from time to time).

Those are not, generally speaking, SMS apps. Do they have separate apps you can install on your watch to handle the interactions?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hooah posted:

Those are not, generally speaking, SMS apps. Do they have separate apps you can install on your watch to handle the interactions?

Like, a companion app for Signal on the Galaxy Store? It doesn't look that way, no.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im looking at getting a hybrid watch because I dislike having to charge my fitbit every few days. If I can stretch that out to once a month I would be much happier. The main things I am looking for are gps and heart rate monitor plus a look that doesnt scream "This is a smart watch". Any suggestions?

I have looked at the withings hr sport, a bunch of the fossils and some other random ones, but they all fall down somewhere. Do I need to adjust my expectations?

If looks aren't hugely important, I recommend looking at the amazfit bip for around 80 usd. Don't discount the product due to the chinglish name. I love it. 2 months battery life. Low res color screen but it's always on and works great outdoors. Has GPS and HR monitor. If you use both functions constantly then battery life with be shortened. I switched to it from the Galaxy watch mainly because of the battery life and the weight. Checkout some YouTube reviews. If you have any questions, I'd do my best to help.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When should I be able to expect WearOS watches with the new snazzy Qualcomm CPU? Ideally getting close to Galaxy Watch runtimes?

While I have a Galaxy Watch and it's generally a nice piece, I'm starting to want to do more things on/with it, app and integration wise. And uh, well, Tizen.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I tried a Versa back in May and jesus christ. Battery only lasted two, maybe 2.5 days if I was lucky. Syncing issues. Oh, and the band left a rash on my skin! Anyone else have that issue? Like, my skin there started peeling similar to a mild sunburn after.

Needless to say, I returned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't have a rash, but I somehow pinched my skin and got a tiny blister from the band.

Mine wouldn't keep synced with my music player and give me music controls for more than five seconds. I didn't really use the smartphone features much. Ended up with an Inspire HR instead.

The Versa had more manual exercise modes and it was easier to set timers. Otherwise, I don't regret the choice.