Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Holy flipping gently caress that was exhausting to get through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

Excuse me, not all men are dissapointing, some are terrifying or murderous or all three like that guy who kidnapped a woman after murdering her fiance and ended the night by just dropping her off and saying have a great night.

There's few things more disappointing than getting murdered

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MasBrillante posted:

I literally feel “trapped” in crowded rooms and I still suck it up and take a chill pill for friends and family. And I certainly wouldn’t make my partner choose between an engaging conversation with his boss and sharing a cab ride home. I also love the way he invalidates the conversation as gossip. I wonder what credentials he has for making that determination.

This is one of those things where ideally a couple talks it out and knows enough about each other to find the balance. I'm similar about crowds, and when I'm done I'm done and just can't social anymore. When I'm with more social folks they know that and people don't mind when I duck out early, or if there with someone I either wait outside while they finish up or they find their own way home (not as some sudden ultimatum, we're on the same page for these things).

Though the stuff I've gone to has all been actually social events, not corporate ladder-climbing masquerading as "fun" where my being out of step could cause judgement of folks associated with me. More that I just head home when the gathering moves from karaoke to the bar.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting tired of my daughter's complaining about her childhood?
lol she's a piece of poo poo who can't take responsibility for her own actions and blames her loving her kid up on her kid rather than accepting that being a lovely parent produces damaged kids

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

You deserve hugs

:unsmith:

OP posted “Peace Out” which translates to “lurking this thread obsessively.”

Choice quotes:

quote:

It's not just the boredom tho. Her co-workers are insufferable assholes, loud mouthed, opinionated, in your face Karen types, I'd fended off several rude/annoying/overly intrusive conversations already and I'd had enough.

quote:

I made sure to not rudely interrupt, I waited for a pause in their convo then quietly asked for a word. I made small talk with assholes all night, I've been before and I told her how much I hated it last time, how lovely her co-workers were and how taking to then was hell. She knows I'm not a fan of big social events and especially not with people who are basically strangers and try to get in my business. I was so done by the time it was time to leave and I know what her "20 more minutes" means it means 2 more hours if I don't do something.

quote:

I bust my rear end off working long hours in a job I hate so she can keep this job because she likes it even though it's low paying. I look after the kids all the time so she can have days out with her friends or a long quiet bath. I do all the yard work and a bunch of housework chores and most of all I never force her to do stuff she hates. But yeah I'm lazy in the marriage 👌

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

This is one of those things where ideally a couple talks it out and knows enough about each other to find the balance. I'm similar about crowds, and when I'm done I'm done and just can't social anymore. When I'm with more social folks they know that and people don't mind when I duck out early, or if there with someone I either wait outside while they finish up or they find their own way home (not as some sudden ultimatum, we're on the same page for these things).

Though the stuff I've gone to has all been actually social events, not corporate ladder-climbing masquerading as "fun" where my being out of step could cause judgement of folks associated with me. More that I just head home when the gathering moves from karaoke to the bar.

Oh for sure, everyone in my inner circle knows and respects my boundaries but I push them, because it matters to me. Part of dealing with anxiety is retraining yourself so I figure, what’s more worth it than the people you love? And because of that effort, my sympathy for people who just find these things “boring” is very low.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

quote:

it's low paying.

You’re a dick

quote:

I look after the kids all the time so she can have days out with her friends or a long quiet bath. I do all the yard work and a bunch of housework chores

Being a good partner =/= doing yardwork

quote:

most of all I never force her to do stuff she hates

Highly suspect

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MasBrillante posted:

Oh for sure, everyone in my inner circle knows and respects my boundaries but I push them, because it matters to me. Part of dealing with anxiety is retraining yourself so I figure, what’s more worth it than the people you love? And because of that effort, my sympathy for people who just find these things “boring” is very low.

Good for you. It's nice to hear someone say "I have this issue and here is how I deal with it."

I deal with mine through alcohol abuse. I should probably develop better coping mechanisms.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

You’re a dick

Being a good partner =/= doing yardwork

Highly suspect

I look after the kids so she can take long baths is just...and he is going really hard in the comments defending himself from replies to the comments themselves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MasBrillante posted:

I think what gets me about it is his putting everything beneath him. When you, I, and others in this thread talk about our similar reactions it's from a perspective of being out of sync; our troubles and limits navigating these things include both us and them in the interaction. He talks in absolutes; the party is boring and he shouldn't have to stay longer, the people there are assholes, wife is gossiping about trivial stuff and so there's no reason to consider her needs. Someone in a very similar situation could have a much more sympathetic reception depending on how their word choice shaped the story.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

I think what gets me about it is his putting everything beneath him. When you, I, and others in this thread talk about our similar reactions it's from a perspective of being out of sync; our troubles and limits navigating these things include both us and them in the interaction. He talks in absolutes; the party is boring and he shouldn't have to stay longer, the people there are assholes, wife is gossiping about trivial stuff and so there's no reason to consider her needs. Someone in a very similar situation could have a much more sympathetic reception depending on how their word choice shaped the story.

Yes. Another way of putting this is that he is unknowingly pulsating rear end in a top hat waves that make even a sympathetic situation sound like an adult tantrum. Of COURSE no one wants to be dragged to an event where they have to perform among strangers, especially not ones you clash with. But it kind of doesn’t feel like this guy EVER really thought he was the rear end in a top hat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Bruceski posted:

That is an interesting and insightful point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Motherfucker posted:

I'm sitting here tryna mouth 'bazonkas' and make sense of what my mouth is doing and its just not fuckin' happening.

from pages and pages back but all I could think of was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSVkprXlc6k

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's few things more disappointing than getting murdered

When his family makes you hold conversations with a toy mouse named Timothy.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
This one is blowing up on ResetEra right now

quote:

Just a disclaimer: I still very much love my wife. I'm not starting this thread to trash on her or complain about her, just to analyze my situation and sort my feelings out. She's always treated me very well, even if our relationship has never been what I wanted it to be. She is continuing to treat me very well now that we've broken up.

I met my wife on an internet forum, not unlike this one, twelve years ago. We talked a lot as friends (although it was no secret that I was into her) for a long time. I didn't think anything would come of it. She had a romantic interest from the same forum (this will be important later), and it seemed like they were going to become a couple, but She could not commit when my wife wanted to move to her city after law school.

Still wanting to move away, we decided it would be cool if she moved here and got an apartment together. It wasn't supposed to be romantic at first, but eventually... it was. I was very quick to tell her I loved her, and she eventually responded in kind. She wasn't lying, because she DID love me, just not in the real "in love" way, and I guess she didn't get that then. She didn't know what that felt like and didn't think she could experience love the way other people do.

She didn't I always thought there were other reasons she wasn't or couldn't express affection to me properly. She didn't want to kiss me often, didn't want to hold hands. I'm terrible at reading people and if I was better maybe I could have figured it out sooner. We mostly stopped having sex after a few months, when we got pregnant (definitely too early, oh well). Then we got married.

But I thought, at first, it was because she was so sick (Chron's disease, much improved over time after she had her colon removed). Then she was depressed because she wanted to have another baby and we had trouble for years, before having twins AND adopting a kid from foster care. Then she said she didnt want to do anything because she was breastfeeding. At some point during all this she stopped telling me that she loves me. Not sure when. I did ask her once if she did, and she responded "what do you THINK?" I thought yes, but that might not have been the answer in retrospect.

A few months ago she started getting horny again, she was expressing interest in me and initiating sex. And she ENJOYED it, for the first time outside of those first few months we were together. I felt wanted, finally, and it felt so good. She started telling me she loves me again. Started giving kisses that were not real deep kisses, but more than pecks at least. And we held hands a few times. This was a few months past our tenth wedding anniversary.

Somewhere in here we had a conversation about monogamy, and I expressed that I hadn't really believed in it for a long time but was sticking with it because that was what we agreed to. But she seemed slightly open to polyamory now, which surprised me. Not long after, her romantic interest from the forum site sent her a friend request from her new account on Facebook. After talking a bit they found they still had feelings for each other, so I was just like "yeah go for it" and they did.

But things changed after they met up for the first time again. My wife didn't seem so eager to be with me, then started expressing that she thought this might not be fair for me, then started talking about what might happen if we break up. And then we did. We've decided we'll continue living together and raising the kids together, but we're not a couple anymore and her girlfriend is going to move in with us.

And it all makes sense to me now, because I've seen them together. Constantly wanting to touch, hold hands, kiss. I can hear a difference in her voice when she talks to her, and she looks at her in ways she's never looked at me. She knows what it means to be in love now. I tell them not to modify their behaviour for my sake, because I don't want to be a burden on their relationship and (although I haven't said this) because there's no way they can interact without making me feel jealous. But I'll get over it. Knowing that it could never have been what I wanted makes it easier to accept that it's over.

I just don't know what to do going forward. It's hard for me to get out because I don't really have friends, I have general and social anxiety, and I've got four kids (having another pair of adult hands around the house will help with that lol). I've been working on it but it's hard. Need to work on myself and my social skills before I start dating.

And it's just hard now, because this was my first relationship and my first breakup. I've been with one person my entire adult life pretty much. And now I know I've never really been loved and wanted, at least in a romantic sense. It's somewhat soul-crushing. She feels bad that I'm hurt but I know it wasn't her fault - I always made the choice to be with her knowing it wasn't perfect. It would have been reasonable to end it when I knew she didn't want to kiss me, but I didn't and that's on me.

I'm not sure I should post this thread, it's kind of meandering and maybe not that interesting but oh well POST THREAD

also,

quote:

I'm currently a stay at home dad. I don't have a job or a college degree. I'm living comfortably right now. I want to stay for me as much as for the kids. I legitimately cannot imagine leaving this for a better situation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turns out his wife was "bye"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

:discourse:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting to go to my sons wedding?

My son has been dating 'Vanessa' for nearly 3 years now, last weekend they annouced they were enagaged. I have never been fond of Vanessa, mainly because she has never gelled with the family due to her general aloof attitude and lack of effort to engage socially. She will often refuse to join in conversations or activities. My son insists it's because shes shy but I think its very clear that she believes herself 'above us'.

I also strongly susspect she is using my son for his money, she has almost no income, she works as a nanny 2 days a week and spends the rest of the time selling hand made crafts on etsy or at markets. My son is in a well paid tech job and I think she is taking adavantage of the fact he's well off. She jumped at the opportunity to move into his nice aparetment very early in their relationship because she had been living in a unplesant house share. There have been other similar instances.

My son was at my house a few days after the annoucment and the conversation turned to the wedding. We were discussing venues and I mentioned our local church, he told me that Vanessa didn't like the idea of having it at church as she wasn't religious, she wanted an outside wedding. I told him that was just impractical, he has several older family members who would not only find the idea of a non religous, outdoor wedding distasteful but would struggle with the limitations that come with it, poor seating, lack of proper toilet facilities, bad weather etc. He said they would figure it out and it was their wedding so it shouldn't matter what the rest of the family thought. This is very unlike my son as I've always taught him to be considerate of others opinions and the value of family.

At this point I was upset and hurt and told him that I didn't agree with the ideas they had come up with and I didn't want to put any money towards the wedding like this. My son got angry and told me that they didn't need any financial help, they had savings and Vanessa was planning to cut costs by making decorations. I said he was going to end up blowing all HIS savings and there was no way she'd be able to make all the decorsations with all the other things she'll be focusing on during planning so he'll end up paying for those too and they'll start married life with a huge dent in his savings which is just a terrible idea.

He then accused me of never supporting his relationship and told me if I wouldn't support his wedding then I might as well not come. I told him I might take him up on that as I don't support his attitude and maybe his own mother not wanting to come to his wedding will help him realise how ridiclous he's being about it.

My sons has told the family about it, several people are on my side, my parents and sisters also think he's being impractical and overdramatic, my husband is refusing to get involved at all but my other son and daughter are angry at me and are telling me I'm acting like an rear end in a top hat.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not lowering the price of the car I’m selling to my daughter?

I had plans on selling my car (2012 Prius, milage about 85,000, has a hole is the back from when I accidentally backed into a truck) for $9,000 to my daughter when she goes off to college. I told her that it was a great deal because she already knows how to drive that car and it costs much less than buying a used one from somewhere else.

Well, I got in an accident with that car two weeks ago, and while it wasn’t totaled and is still drivable we had to get the light fixed. I agreed to pay for the cost of the repairs since I was the one who was driving when the accident happened. However, my daughter insists that I lower the price on the car when I sell it to her since a car that’s been in an accident is worth less than one that has been in one and that this is the third time I’ve had an accident in that car. I think that it’s ridiculous that I would have to lower the price, especially since a car that’s been in three accidents isn’t that different from a car that’s been in two. And I told her exactly that.

She’s still bugging me that I should lower the price, even telling me that her friend’s mom bought her daughter a car because she had good grades and the least I could do was lower the price to $8,000 or even $7,000. I keep telling her that that’s not how it works in my household, but now even my husband is telling me that I should just give in an drop the price. So Reddit, AITA for not lowering the price on a wrecked car that’s already been wrecked before?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im a trash goblin, and my son has told me he thinks Im a trash goblin, where does he get the nerve to treat me like Im some trash goblin???

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for making a baby cry to save $100?

quote:

Okay hear me out.

So today I took my baby over to my parents’ house for dinner, without my wife. We have a five month old, she’s home with the kid all day while I’m at work and needed a break—so I went with the baby. Works out well for everyone because she can nap, my parents get to spend time with their granddaughter, and I bring her home a doggie bag with dinner.

On the way home, around 10pm, I made a left in a no left. It saves me about 10 minutes because otherwise you have to go all the way around this huge park and then there are a bunch of one-way streets. It’s a no left there because in rush hour it gets clogged up, but this was late at night and the street was pretty quiet: turning left did not worsen traffic or put anyone in any danger.

Of course there is a cop lurking and waiting, and I get pulled over. Here in Ontario, ‘disobey a sign’ is a $100 fine and 2 demerits (guess how I know…).

Baby was sleeping in her car seat in the back. So just as the cop was about to leave her car to walk up to mine, I just for a second turned the radio on fairly loud and on a static channel. Baby woke up and starting screaming. When I rolled down the window, the cop heard a screaming baby and sent me on my way.

Baby was perfectly fine. I gave her the pacifier and as soon as the car started moving she fell back asleep. We’re home now and she’s asleep and perfectly fine in her crib. I felt kind of guilty about the whole situation so I moved $100 (what I would have paid for the ticket) into the kid’s RESP (university fund).

‘My wife was absolutely furious when she found out’ is what I might say if I was a complete idiot and had told her.

AITA?

The username is getoutofjailfreebaby

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"I blatantly loving hate my son's girlfriend and he dares to say I never supported their relationship!"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I had plans on selling my car (2012 Prius, milage about 85,000, has a hole is the back from when I accidentally backed into a truck) for $9,000 to my daughter when she goes off to college. I told her that it was a great deal because she already knows how to drive that car and it costs much less than buying a used one from somewhere else.

Well, I got in an accident with that car two weeks ago, and while it wasn’t totaled and is still drivable we had to get the light fixed. I agreed to pay for the cost of the repairs since I was the one who was driving when the accident happened. However, my daughter insists that I lower the price on the car when I sell it to her since a car that’s been in an accident is worth less than one that has been in one and that this is the third time I’ve had an accident in that car. I think that it’s ridiculous that I would have to lower the price, especially since a car that’s been in three accidents isn’t that different from a car that’s been in two. And I told her exactly that.

She’s still bugging me that I should lower the price, even telling me that her friend’s mom bought her daughter a car because she had good grades and the least I could do was lower the price to $8,000 or even $7,000. I keep telling her that that’s not how it works in my household, but now even my husband is telling me that I should just give in an drop the price. So Reddit, AITA for not lowering the price on a wrecked car that’s already been wrecked before?

:vd:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The daughter should agree to buy the car for $9,000 on the condition the mom never drives again.

Edit: for the record a 2012 prius without accidents goes for about 9-10k so shes loving gouging this kid who should absolutely just buy a different persons nice prius.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She accidentally gives away her real reasons in the comments: she doesn't want her daughter to have much money because she might DO DRUGS or BE IRRESPONSIBLE.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She jumped at the opportunity to move into his nice aparetment very early in their relationship because she had been living in a unplesant house share. There have been other similar instances.

Aha! How suspicious to be happy to move to a better location than the bad one currently lived in! Oho! Hmm!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Midnight Voyager posted:

She accidentally gives away her real reasons in the comments: she doesn't want her daughter to have much money because she might DO DRUGS or BE IRRESPONSIBLE.

It sounds like the daughter is a lot more responsible than the mom. She even knows how to be a good steward of her money and to look for a deal when shopping for cars instead of buying the first wreck she sees that is available.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for making a baby cry to save $100?

this owns, and if my parents did this to me when i was a baby i would be so proud right now

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

drat, if that lady's teenage daughter already has more than nine-grand saved up, then she's already way ahead of the responsibility curve. Let her do some fuckin' drugs to celebrate!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this owns, and if my parents did this to me when i was a baby i would be so proud right now

I was imagining a pinch or something, but they're still an rear end in a top hat for making an illegal turn.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not telling my sister that I hid drugs in her home before I got clean?

I was addicted from when I was 20-24. I’m now 26 and my sister is just now welcoming me back into her home.

Early into my addiction, back when I was somewhat still hiding it, I would still go over to my older sister’s house every now and again.

Back then, I would hide drugs in her house as a “safe place” for me to keep them. I hid some in the garage. I did most of this when I was high, which explains the somewhat lovely hiding spots.

I went over to her house the for the first time in a while this past weekend for my nephew’s birthday. When I pulled in I didn’t even think, I just went over and grabbed the syringe and dope I had stashed behind one of the tables.

Except right at that moment my sister walked into the garage and saw me grab the stuff from behind the table. She accused me of using again and started crying and screaming about how dare I hide that poo poo in her house and what if Sam, my nephew, had found it.

I tried to explain to her that it was old and I didn’t want to worry her by telling her that it was still in the house and I promised that I was going to get rid of it.

She just screamed at me to get out of her house.

I really was planning on just getting rid of it. I didn’t want to upset her and I thought it would’ve been pointless to tell her about it.

I know have my family texting me telling me how disappointed they are in me and I’m pretty sure I can expect an intervention soon.

I don’t think I was entirely out of line. My sister wouldn’t even listen to me and if she hadn’t walked out none of this would’ve happened.

AITA?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fight Man finally got got.

I got arrested today but my only charge was resisting arrest? How much trouble will I be in from this and what can I do?

Whoever is writing these is escalating it pretty quickly lmao. The best way for them to end this is him posting a thread about getting killed lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If his sister hadn't walked in he'd have continued not thinking that heroin all the way into his arm.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not telling my sister that I hid drugs in her home before I got clean?

I'm pretty sure that any kind of addiction turns you into an rear end in a top hat.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I, a junkie, acted like a junkie. Why is my sister treating me like a junkie?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to go to my sons wedding?

I thought that it would be one of the whiplash ones but nope.

“My DIL is a stuck up bitch who won’t talk to me. No, I won’t talk to her about it, she thinks she’s too good for me.”

“Have my dream wedding or I’ll refuse to give you money. Oh you’re telling me to gently caress off? Let me tell you how to spend your money, so you won’t be in debt, you know, since I’m not helping with the wedding.”

Father in law of the year.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I thought that it would be one of the whiplash ones but nope.

“My DIL is a stuck up bitch who won’t talk to me. No, I won’t talk to her about it, she thinks she’s too good for me.”

“Have my dream wedding or I’ll refuse to give you money. Oh you’re telling me to gently caress off? Let me tell you how to spend your money, so you won’t be in debt, you know, since I’m not helping with the wedding.”

Father in law of the year.

Mother in law, actually. The dad is just "staying out of it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tetramin posted:

Whoever is writing these is escalating it pretty quickly lmao. The best way for them to end this is him posting a thread about getting killed lol

"Hi, I'm a friend of fight-man and just wanted to update everyone that he unfortunately passed away last week in the county jail. He got into a fight with another prisoner and the coroner reported that the cause of death was "extreme shivving."