Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is inaccurate, but it's also for young adults, by definition. If you're reading it and going "ah, how childish," read something else.

*picks up The Diggingest Dog* a marked improvement, thank you for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Young adults are a terrible genre of person, and their literature merely reflects this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The worst genre of person is erotic thriller imo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

christmas boots posted:

The worst genre of person is erotic thriller imo

Now, young man, this is no way to talk about your mother!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i liked Interstellar Pig, that's YA

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

really all genre fiction is already low-reading-level, why have a separate designation for YA? i loved dune when I was 12

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doc Hawkins posted:

really all genre fiction is already low-reading-level, why have a separate designation for YA? i loved dune when I was 12

Because like most designations for books it's really more of an indicator for the kinds of characters and stories in them. Young Adult stories are usually about young adults.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That was my point exactly. Either your book is good, and even adults can enjoy it, or it's bad and only teenagers who don't know better yet can find it good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lobok posted:

Because like most designations for books it's really more of an indicator for the kinds of characters and stories in them. Young Adult stories are usually about young adults.

paul muad'dib, who is called usul among us, is a young adult fighting to take down an evil empire

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the characters in Wuthering Heights are pretty young, for most of it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sleator wrote some good YA sci-fi, I loved Singularity when I was 12

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
All this talk about how people hate Twilight just because it’s for teen girls makes me think I ought to hate it just so nobody thinks I’m Jeffrey Epstein or something

Doc Hawkins posted:

poo poo I read that when I was a kid and I’ve been trying to remember what it was called, thanks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pirate Radar posted:

poo poo I read that when I was a kid and I’ve been trying to remember what it was called, thanks!

I'm amused by how it's a recurring request in the "Help me ID this book I can't remember" thread in the Book Barn.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's weird, I just saved all those quotes to a file the other day before archives eats the post's formatting forever. What timing for you to ask that.

This is just too good :five:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is inaccurate, but it's also for young adults, by definition. If you're reading it and going "ah, how childish," read something else.

The problem is all the people who are absolutely not young, and probably not adults, but still read this and get extremely het up about it on the internet.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Animorphs series

Serf
May 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sleator wrote some good YA sci-fi, I loved Singularity when I was 12

holy poo poo i found that book in a goodwill as a child and read it a bunch of times. i remember it being really good

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sulla Faex posted:

i thought tarantino had a foot thing because he's ethnically half-foot?

thatbastardken posted:

nah man he just hates turtles

We're already in the quote thread, so I just wanted you to know somebody saw this and appreciated it

(Also I thought the Tarantino Shot was the one from inside the trunk of the car)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sunken fleet posted:

the relationship between the werewolf and the day old baby it was actually spelled out explicitly in the text as non-romanatic....

Lol do go on

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This is weird; I reread Interstellar Pig just a couple days ago. It holds up nicely, as does Oddballs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

on the subject of Ohio

Barudak posted:

a state 100% dedicated to 24/7 brigadoon larping

on the subject of YA fiction, which is to say fiction about and for young adults, it's really hard to top Robert Cormier; the man was both compassionate and brutal, and I don't know that a lot of YA authors are really working in that vein anymore since young people are culturally conditioned to be, for the most part, clout-chasing uwu pudding-brains

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm currently reading House of Leaves and I feel like I need to take a step down in reading level. Holy poo poo this book is DENSE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Untrustable posted:

I'm currently reading House of Leaves and I feel like I need to take a step down in reading level. Holy poo poo this book is DENSE.

Some novels are intentionally impenetrable and everything I have ever read about House of Leaves leads me to suspect that's the case with that book.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

on the subject of Ohio

on the subject of YA fiction, which is to say fiction about and for young adults, it's really hard to top Robert Cormier; the man was both compassionate and brutal, and I don't know that a lot of YA authors are really working in that vein anymore since young people are culturally conditioned to be, for the most part, clout-chasing uwu pudding-brains

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Untrustable posted:

House of Leaves is at once both one of my favorite books of all time, and one I never, ever want to read again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
YA fiction seems to be one of those things where one or two people make a bazillion dollars every few years and everyone else fights ravenously over the scraps, and the online scene is a knife fight in a phone booth, iirc there was that one scandal where an author was #cancelled and had an online mob go after her for having the villains in her book about how racism is bad say racist things.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

on the subject of Ohio

on the subject of YA fiction, which is to say fiction about and for young adults, it's really hard to top Robert Cormier; the man was both compassionate and brutal, and I don't know that a lot of YA authors are really working in that vein anymore since young people are culturally conditioned to now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

YA fiction seems to be one of those things where one or two people make a bazillion dollars every few years and everyone else fights ravenously over the scraps, and the online scene is a knife fight in a phone booth, iirc there was that one scandal where an author was #cancelled and had an online mob go after her for having the villains in her book about how racism is bad say racist things.

That's every thing.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Same here, and the weird part is that I recognized the stuff I didn't really like ("panties!") and went "eh" and read it anyways

The first Piers Anthony I read was a series and I didn't really get suspicious until the very end where an elderly pedophile in a position of authority falls in love with a 12 year old prostitute (a sex slave who does scat shows) and everybody sees that their love is good and perfect so they're allowed to get married and God is fired from His job and the pedo is put in charge of the universe instead. Then the last chapter is an open letter from Anthony himself to an emotionally troubled 14 year old fan
telling her how special and beautiful she is even if nobody else understands her. Sorry if thats a spoiler.

Then I read The Color of Her Panties (plaid IIRC, because nobody understands her) and started noticing a pattern. I think the last chapter was another open letter to a real adolescent girl about how special he thinks she is. Or maybe that was another one, this was a long time ago. I flipped through a few more of his books and it seemed like the last chapters were all love letters to young female fans, who probably shouldn't run away from home to fall in love with an older gentleman who really loves and understands them, just in case they were thinking about doing that. At some point I developed A Hypothesis.

I mean yeah, there's YA books that are cool because your parents probably wouldn't let you read them if they knew the weird stuff that was in them (my sister mentioned the Flowers in the Attic series as good hosed up creepy stuff) and those are fun. And then there's grooming.

fake edit: I just looked at a random Anthony book. Its about a special magical 12 year old girl that nobody understands. The last chapter is an open letter from him. "As Xanth enters its teens—this is number thirteen—it is maturing, developing new awarenesses, touching on more serious matters, and putting aside some of its childish things, though with luck it will never grow up enough to join the Adult Conspiracy." The next few pages are about the fan he wrote the book for, a very special and vulnerable 12 year old girl that he has strong protective feelings for, and all the things he's done for her. Eventually he got to meet her and see her in the pretty gown and shoes he'd bought her. "But that was it. Jenny was very tired. She had to return to her room, and lie down, and then she was taken back to the hospital. I visited her there the next day and read a story to her and her similarly paralyzed friend Kathy. Next day I returned to Florida, with a red artificial rose from Jenny's corsage. I still have that rose." So um that's all on the up-and-up I guess?

fake edit 2: Wikipedia says he wrote a non fiction book about their relationship

Huh. Took me a moment to realize the old guy is typing at a computer, not roaming through some secret magical garden of pretty children. Not literally, anyways.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jul 12, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

The first Piers Anthony I read was a series and I didn't really get suspicious until the very end where an elderly pedophile in a position of authority falls in love with a 12 year old prostitute (a sex slave who does scat shows) and everybody sees that their love is good and perfect so they're allowed to get married and God is fired from His job and the pedo is put in charge of the universe instead. Then the last chapter is an open letter from Anthony himself to an emotionally troubled 14 year old fan
telling her how special and beautiful she is even if nobody else understands her. Sorry if thats a spoiler.

I guess that's a different one from the one where the elderly pedophile gets arrested and taken to court over his sexual relationship with a child, and the child describes the sex they had and how in love they are with such passion and eloquence that the entire court weeps openly?

E: https://hradzka.livejournal.com/392471.html in the one I'm thinking of she was five

Dabir has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jul 12, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The more I learn about that Piers Anthony fellow, the more I don't care for him, to be honest.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Paladinus posted:

The more I learn about that Piers Anthony fellow, the more I don't care for him, to be honest.

:hmmyes:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yeah, to hell with that Piers Morgan

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lopside Fundip posted:

Welcome to the whole rest of your life. It's weird, scary and completely unfair. Your parents are insane people who walk around living lives you can't understand and can only barely tolerate. That's their right.

My mom showed me her most recent halloween costume while I was up there for christmas. It was a santa babydoll nightgown and a thong. My mom has no teeth. My mom weighs about 200-250. Her torso is encrusted with huge old caesarian section scars and a bunch of thick keloid scars from her two hip replacements. The thong could have been employed to sling very large rocks at your enemies. She held it up for my inspection. My mom is walking around like this in public. Fantastic.

At least it's just more kids, dude. I think you are overreacting a bit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Untrustable posted:

you should keep going, imo part of the experience of that book is the fear of being caught inside it and getting ground to dust by it's uncaring madness

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dabir posted:

I guess that's a different one from the one where the elderly pedophile gets arrested and taken to court over his sexual relationship with a child, and the child describes the sex they had and how in love they are with such passion and eloquence that the entire court weeps openly?

E: https://hradzka.livejournal.com/392471.html in the one I'm thinking of she was five
Hmm, doesn't sound like the one in which women were kept (and milked) like cows who also needed to be bred by, apparently, any horny sap who happened to be around.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I understand the temperature and torr (vacuum measurement), but what do the "dark" and the ">80%" refer to?

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m going to guess it has to be done in the dark, because light angers the reagents or reaction products. The makers don’t seem to be the type to be in the business of blowing up spectrometers :getin:

BattleMaster posted:

For centuries, a rite of passage for chemists was the preparation of tetralitiomethane. This tiny molecule - starting as carbon tetrachloride, force-fed mercury, then suffocated in a near vacuum - was prepared whole and burned that way, bonds and all, while the apparatus was draped with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_bunting#As_food

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hey, could you do me a favor? Yeah, you.

Could you please guess the thread?

CYBEReris posted:

all white south africans have materially benefited from settler colonialism and apartheid even if they make the conscious effort to reject and fight back against it - which is a good thing, but only further damns the environment they're rejecting. next you'll be saying not ALL cops are bastards.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ToxicFrog posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_bunting#As_food

Without checking that link this just reads like an incredibly nerdy Dutch oven joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dabir posted:

The Bio of a Space Tyrant series has an old guy get seduced in VR by a mysterious woman who turn out to be his 14 year old mentally handicapped ward.