Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

It’s that time of year! I’m doing an 8710 and hating myself for keeping paper records and not having separate totaled columns for things like PIC cross country and Night SIC landings (come on.)

So people that painstakingly update everything to something software based that can total this junk for you, whatcha using?

My tentative plan right now is to just make a big honking excel database and backup via printed copies every few months or whatever. Every year that I wait to update my records into the 21st century is another handful of pages that need to be checked over for strangely specific criteria. Also they don’t give you enough columns in paper logs anyways.

I don’t like the idea of subscription fee based logbook software and it needs to be iOS accessible.

Logten Pro is the best but its expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

It’s that time of year! I’m doing an 8710 and hating myself for keeping paper records and not having separate totaled columns for things like PIC cross country and Night SIC landings (come on.)

So people that painstakingly update everything to something software based that can total this junk for you, whatcha using?

My tentative plan right now is to just make a big honking excel database and backup via printed copies every few months or whatever. Every year that I wait to update my records into the 21st century is another handful of pages that need to be checked over for strangely specific criteria. Also they don’t give you enough columns in paper logs anyways.

I don’t like the idea of subscription fee based logbook software and it needs to be iOS accessible.

MyFlightbook.com

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

e.pilot posted:

MyFlightbook.com

not an emptyquote but almost

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I just use Google Sheets, with a form to enter the flight(s) into the sheet automatically, and then make a paper copy every once in a while.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I was using MCCpilotlog but it had a recent "upgrade" that has befuddled and irked some of my coworkers. I still use it though (enterprise edition for syncing with my airline schedule)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

I use LogTen, its not cheap but it works well. Their customer support is awesome also. I can import my work schedule and export each leg into my calendar.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Logbook chat: I use Foreflight and like it a lot. It is paid but has been a solid efb. I've seen a few people using myflightbook as well and it seems solid.

Just passed my Commercial ASEL! I'm a big boy pilot now! :toot:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

cigaw posted:

Logbook chat: I use Foreflight and like it a lot. It is paid but has been a solid efb. I've seen a few people using myflightbook as well and it seems solid.

Congratulations!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Two Kings posted:

Dr. Gleim is a real person? And alive? I figured he was like Mavis Beacon.

Or John and Martha King.

They're not real, right?

RIGHT?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Cessna posted:

Or John and Martha King.

They're not real, right?

RIGHT?
I'm quite certain every single piece of photographic evidence of their existence has been manufactured by Big Aero and they exist solely as poorly-programmed computer simulations running on outdated graphics cards and an 80s fashion library for reference.

That said their Private and Instrument courses are solid.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
John and Martha King were gunned down by police while being suspected of stealing a Cessna 172 in a tragic case of mistaken identity.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Martha K was doing recurrent while I was training for something else and I got to see her around the center for a week. She was naturally blurry and hated the following: water. Sun.

Also thanks for the logbook recs, I’ll look into what’s listed.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
MyFlightbook.com or bust

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cessna posted:

Or John and Martha King.

They're not real, right?

RIGHT?

:wtc: I work with a John and Martha King IRL but they have no aviation connection

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

cigaw posted:

:toot:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cigaw posted:

I'm quite certain every single piece of photographic evidence of their existence has been manufactured by Big Aero and they exist solely as poorly-programmed computer simulations running on outdated graphics cards and an 80s fashion library for reference.

That said their Private and Instrument courses are solid.

I ran into them when they stopped by the FBO I instructed for on a fuel stop.

They're about as yawn-inducing in person as they are on the videos.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

I ran into them when they stopped by the FBO I instructed for on a fuel stop.

They're about as yawn-inducing in person as they are on the videos.

They gave a presentation at my flight school about a decade ago. I left that presentation wondering not only how they had become well known flight instructors but how they hadn't died in an airplane crash. They have made a few serious attempts at the latter but haven't managed to seal the deal yet.

Also, I use log book pro which works, but is a bit janky. There are probably better, cheaper, options out there but I'm too lazy to switch.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I love John king. I think the teaching style through comedy is great.

I own lots of King materials and they’re great for refreshers on topics.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I've got my first 'real' lesson tomorrow, after doing an intro flight two weeks ago. Pretty pumped. Been working through Sportys groundschool in the meantime.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Got a class date at OO for January!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

:toot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was flying the pattern at KPAO yesterday and the plane ahead of me was a T-6 and the one behind was a Long-EZ. Goddamn rich techie assholes.

The Long-EZ sure is pretty though.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Welcome, and TFAYD! (you'll find out what this means soon enough :razz:)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

Welcome, and TFAYD! (you'll find out what this means soon enough :razz:)

I miss TFAYD :unsmith:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I've got my first 'real' lesson tomorrow, after doing an intro flight two weeks ago. Pretty pumped. Been working through Sportys groundschool in the meantime.

Oh my gosh I really love flying, had a super awesome lesson today. Really pretty early morning flight. I'm sure every day won't be this great, but I'll try to remember it when they aren't.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Morning flying is always the best. The earlier the better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've started noticing a bunch of NOTAMs popping up about UAS activity in these long areas that generally follow roads and power lines:

It's only up to 200ft AGL. What are these likely to be? Drone powerline inspections?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

final approach corridor for aliens

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hello aviation people,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a turbulence/weather forecast app for flying (as a passenger on a commercial airline). It's the main reason I hate flying and I find the more info, the better. I have an iPhone and I'm in the US.

Two that looked promising were

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/turbulence-forecast/id486438834

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/turbcast/id432042668

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

actionjackson posted:

hello aviation people,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a turbulence/weather forecast app for flying (as a passenger on a commercial airline). It's the main reason I hate flying and I find the more info, the better. I have an iPhone and I'm in the US.

Two that looked promising were

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/turbulence-forecast/id486438834

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/turbcast/id432042668

Foreflight. Be warned: it is an extremely aviation/pilot specific app. I’ve used th PIREP (Pilot Reports) function to check for turbulence.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Foreflight. Be warned: it is an extremely aviation/pilot specific app. I’ve used th PIREP (Pilot Reports) function to check for turbulence.

thanks, though that's quite expensive ($100/year). I would only need it once or twice a year.

On a related note, do commercial pilots report clear air turbulence? If so do other pilots avoid these areas, or is it something that's so unpredictable that there's no point?

I'm in a Delta hub, and I was relieved to find out Delta seems to have a pretty good app that their pilots use

https://crankyflier.com/2019/02/26/a-closer-look-at-how-delta-fights-turbulence-with-the-flight-weather-viewer/

I get that this is real time data, but if any app could show anything close to the kind of info that you can see in the bottom 1/3 of the first pic, that'd be pretty cool

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 14, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

actionjackson posted:

hello aviation people,

We have a very expensive subscription to an aviation specific weather service that uses all sorts of fancy pants technology to predict turbulence. It cross references radar with known winds, temperature gradients, and fronts. It even predicts turbulence generated from geographical interference. It's probably the best program out there and as far as I know is not available to civilians.

It's usually wrong.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Oh my gosh I really love flying, had a super awesome lesson today. Really pretty early morning flight. I'm sure every day won't be this great, but I'll try to remember it when they aren't.

Welcome to the club! You'll have a couple of less-than great days but they're they're exception rather than the rule.

two_beer_bishes posted:

:toot: Everyone I know in the Mormon Air Force seems to enjoy it over there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

thanks, though that's quite expensive ($100/year). I would only need it once or twice a year.

If you want the best data available for free and only need it twice a year, sign up on https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ and make yourself a weather briefing before your trip. You'll need to learn to interpret METAR reports and read a bit about aviation meteorology to fully understand it, but you'll be getting essentially the same information the pilots have.

Or, since turbulence is usually not an issue at airliner cruising altitudes, you could just get the TAFs (terminal aerodrome forecasts) for your departure and arrival airports. Again, you gotta learn the format but that's the best information available ahead of time. https://www.aviationweather.gov/taf

e.g. the one for KSFO right now says

code:

TAF: KSFO 132328Z 1400/1506 29020G26KT P6SM FEW008 
  FM140300 28014KT P6SM FEW008 
  FM140700 27009KT P6SM BKN008 
  FM141700 29010KT P6SM FEW008 
  FM142200 29020G25KT P6SM FEW010 
  FM150300 29014KT P6SM FEW008
which tells me that the winds at this moment are pretty strong, 20 knots gusting to 26, and will be worst between 22:00 and 03:00 zulu time (3pm and 8pm local) again tomorrow, so those are likely to be the bouncy times if you have a flight then. It's calmest around midnight.

There are also some consistent patterns you can learn -- more turbulence over rugged terrain, more turbulence when it's hot, more turbulence in the afternoons, etc.

The best data will be from your airline pilots announcing it over the PA, though, because they're looking at their weather radar and deciding where to fly.

e: oh and duh you can also look up PIREPs online -- you don't need Foreflight. https://www.aviationweather.gov/airep. Look for the little red hats

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 14, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, thanks for the info. Doesn't clear air turbulence typically happen at cruising altitude?

I looked at the PIREP site - can you help me interpret this one as an example

quote:

PIREP A388
Obs Time: 2019-07-13T23:59:00Z
Turb intensity: LGT-MOD
Flight level: 370
PIREP: HLN UA /OV HLN360030/TM 2359/FL370/TP A388/TB LGT-MOD/ZLC

So this happened at 11:59 PM "zulu time" which is 6:59 PM CST.

It was light to moderate turbulence

It occurred at 37000 feet

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 14, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Clear air turbulence is relatively rare. We do all we can to avoid it though by passing on word if we hit it so others can avoid it.

Turbulence won’t hurt you as long as you keep your seatbelt fastened.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. So with this system Delta has (I have no idea if other carriers have something similar), any turbulence that is really noticeable is probably going to be either CAT, or it's going to be something they can't avoid because it's at the departure or arrival airport?

I do okay with takeoff, but I hate the descent part before you get through the clouds. Once I can see the land below me I feel fine, even if there are bumps.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Awesome! Flying is, in fact, loving excellent and there’s no reason I would put up with my job if it weren’t. There are days when it’ll be frustrating, as a student and beyond, but overall it’s still worth it. Let’s talk about how you can make as many flights as possible feel the same way, and make your instructor feel just as awesome:

1) Read up. Studying isn’t anyone’s favourite part of aviation, but the better you understand what you’re about to do, the quicker you will learn and the better you will feel. Out of the people I see making quick progress, the number one common factor is that they study and think about things. Try, as much as possible, to figure out the “why” of the exercises you’re doing. NB: this doesn’t mean “watch YouTube endlessly.” If you do watch aviation YouTube, make sure you know ahead of time what you’re trying to learn from a given video, because if you don’t think critically about what you’re watching you’re more likely to just make someone else’s mistakes.

2) Learn from your mistakes. You will make mistakes, you shouldn’t be upset about them, and your instructor shouldn’t be upset about them. After all, if you were good enough to have a license without training, we’d be out of a job. Don’t beat yourself up over a mistake, it’s a waste of time and you’ll fly worse if you’re dwelling on what you did wrong. That being said, make sure you learn from them. Nothing pisses any instructor off more than seeing the same mistake over and over again. This doesn’t mean I expect a flawless landing on your third try, it means if you make a pile of poo poo landings, I want them to each be poo poo for a different reason (easily done, as there are tons of factors that go into any manoeuvre).

3) Have fun! This is our job, this is your hobby, you pay our bills. If you get sick of doing pattern work, and you want to go grab a $500 hamburger, then ask to do that! If you want to fly over your buddy’s cabin, ask to do that. We can build a lesson around that and it’ll be a bit of fun along the way. Our job, in the absence of any instructions from you, is to try to find the shortest path from where you are to getting your license, but especially if you’re doing this as a hobby, try to have some fun along the way.

4) Use your instructor. We get paid for this, we know quite a bit about flying. Ask whatever question you like, and if we don’t have an answer it’s our job to go find it. That being said, as a corollary to point 2, we get poo poo wrong sometimes, and any instructor who will not admit that it piss poor at their job, so don’t be afraid to really dig if you aren’t satisfied with a given answer or explanation. There is no room for ego as a pilot, and doubly so as an instructor, and the instructors for whom I have the least respect are those who fall back on the “I have 800 hours!” argument. It’s meaningless when it comes to factual correctness and I’ve seen 50 hour PPLs that know things high-time instructors screw up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

actionjackson posted:

Thanks. So with this system Delta has (I have no idea if other carriers have something similar), any turbulence that is really noticeable is probably going to be either CAT, or it's going to be something they can't avoid because it's at the departure or arrival airport?

I do okay with takeoff, but I hate the descent part before you get through the clouds. Once I can see the land below me I feel fine, even if there are bumps.

Are you okay above the clouds, and it’s just in them that you feel uncomfortable? If so, that’s quite natural. The loss of visual reference to just what the gently caress is going on is one of the biggest issues with instrument flying, because without outside vision, your body is susceptible to a number of rather scary illusions. In the cockpit, of course, we have instruments to tell ourselves what’s real and what’s our brain being a fucker (and training yourself to recognize that your brain is a fucker and the instruments are telling you the truth is the real sticky wicket of initial instrument training).

Is there a mobile app that provides synthetic vision to passengers to avoid this? Seems like it could make a decent bit of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

So this happened at 11:59 PM "zulu time" which is 6:59 PM CST.

It was light to moderate turbulence

It occurred at 37000 feet

Yep. And it occurred in the vicinity of KHLN (Helena, MT airport) and the plane reporting it was an A380-800, if I'm reading it correctly.

actionjackson posted:

I am just a student pilot so I don't have any first-hand experience of turbulence at those altitudes, but the definition of clear-air turbulence (including stuff like wake turbulence) is that you can't see it. I don't think it shows up on radars either. You just have to use what you know about the weather and the terrain to make an educated guess of where it's going to be, or rely on pilot reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

a pile of poo poo landings, I want them to each be poo poo for a different reason (easily done, as there are tons of factors that go into any manoeuvre).

There are 100 ways to gently caress up your roundout and you'll do each and every one. And then one days everything clicks.