Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bufuman posted:

So! I've been slowing down a bit on my fervor for this event after 6 years of it, and I'm concerned that I might not make my usual half-dozen or so runs. Thus, I decided the best way to make up for it is with a pledge of my own. And I was given a decent idea upon getting my Earth job in my second run.

Duplicate jobs (even the broken ones) are always kind of a bore, so let's make the most of it!

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

If this is still accepting submissions, my last run had Double Samurai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Next year's starting run should be pure chaos just so they have a chance of getting stuck with 4 Berks for most of world 1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beating Liquid Flame with a Zerk party that has single-digit solo survivor is a Fiesta tradition.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

Oh I totally missed this - I had four black mages earlier!

Poque posted:

Run 2 down. Four black mages for my solo job run of the year and it was mostly easy. I forgot to buy a flame ring in world 1 for the crystals so I unfortunately had to game genie it in. Nothing else was really that bad at all - black mage is a killer job.

Grinding that first reflect ring sucked, though.

Level 28 all around, so I don't think it qualifies for any toxxes.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Poque posted:

The rift has places where you get pushed backwards so you can automate it

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

rodbeard posted:

Next year's starting run should be pure chaos just so they have a chance of getting stuck with 4 Berks for most of world 1

What level were you? This is one of those things no one talks about but in the Matrix version Liquid Flame is in the back row. It's... bad. Bad. It's bad.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I grinded up to level 22. I was trying to figure out why I was doing so little damage compared to other videos of the fight I had watched. I equiped berserk on every character for the rest of world 1 because I was strong enough to just beat everything down with just regular attacks past that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Trying to find a strategy for Omega with Thief/Ninja/Redmage/Dancer and am at a loss on how to deal damage. Scrolls, Throw and Sword Dance seem to be the only things that deal reasonable damage, but they all trigger his counters. It looks like it would be a long fight? At lvl40 he would need 20 sword dances to go down, with double counters for each. Enkibot claims that reflected spells do not trigger his counters, but on iOS reflecting dualcasted Thundara onto him does in fact trigger them.

Even with the right level and equipment (Bone mail, flame ring ?) to survive the counters, confuse and mustard bomb aren’t even the problem, the problem is Encircle in a drawn out fight. Even in the best case scenario I would just have to hope for the dice roll to not give Encircle more than once out of like 10, 15 times.

I guess it could be possible at like, lvl85, but gently caress grinding to that on an actual iPhone.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 12, 2019

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Bisse posted:

Trying to find a strategy for Omega with Thief/Ninja/Redmage/Dancer and am at a loss on how to deal damage. Scrolls, Throw and Sword Dance seem to be the only things that deal reasonable damage, but they all trigger his counters. It looks like it would be a long fight? At lvl40 he would need 20 sword dances to go down, with double counters for each. Enkibot claims that reflected spells do not trigger his counters, but on iOS reflecting dualcasted Thundara onto him does in fact trigger them.

Even with the right level and equipment (Bone mail, flame ring ?) to survive the counters, confuse and mustard bomb aren’t even the problem, the problem is Encircle in a drawn out fight. Even in the best case scenario I would just have to hope for the dice roll to not give Encircle more than once out of like 10, 15 times.

I guess it could be possible at like, lvl85, but gently caress grinding to that on an actual iPhone.

Does using dual wield chicken knife swords dance with a crap knife in the left hand to do 0 damage in the second hit work on iOS version? I used it on the GBA and I didn't get countered by him (thanks goons), but that may be another change for iOS.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Serene Dragon posted:

Does using dual wield chicken knife swords dance with a crap knife in the left hand to do 0 damage in the second hit work on iOS version? I used it on the GBA and I didn't get countered by him (thanks goons), but that may be another change for iOS.
Tried this now, it triggers counters on mobile for each attack that deals damage. Thanks Obama.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, even as someone who prefers the iOS version. Don't bother without chemist for the most part.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just do not get the mobile version at all. So many of the changes seem to be deliberately designed to make challenge runs more difficult to the point of being impossible just to force you to play in the way the designers intended. Or at least whatever the Matrix people are assuming was the intended way. A lot of those decisions strike me as being especially dubious, like preventing Search from redirecting counters. I mean why even give Omega that move in the first place if it wasn't supposed to be a weak spot?

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

I just do not get the mobile version at all. So many of the changes seem to be deliberately designed to make challenge runs more difficult to the point of being impossible just to force you to play in the way the designers intended. Or at least whatever the Matrix people are assuming was the intended way. A lot of those decisions strike me as being especially dubious, like preventing Search from redirecting counters. I mean why even give Omega that move in the first place if it wasn't supposed to be a weak spot?

It was definitely deliberate and it's awful. Like, berserking Rugwizard was also clearly an intended way to beat him because the original developers could have just made him immune to it but Matrix changed it so that he still casts reset through berserk. Matrix is the no-fun allowed police and I will never buy that version.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bisse posted:

You want Rainbow Dresses (and Equip Ribbon) so you can toss elixirs. And yes, that is how you do it with Dancers. Grind up 99 elixirs in the Rift and that should get you the levels to do it. You want Hermes, come in with Float, and a Wonder Wand queued up to Shell your Dancer.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I did a terrible, terrible thing.

:stonk:

This is such a meh run, Red Mage/Thief/Bard was such a slow start and I had to stop and grind relatively cautiously for such a long drat time to take out some bosses, especially Archeoaevis. I got Samurai after that, which let me Zeninage through most of W2, but Fifth Job brought with it White Mage and now I gotta go do Fork Tower with Red Mage/White Mage and Bard/Thief which... urgh.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Darwinism posted:

I did a terrible, terrible thing.

:stonk:

My current run I went with “Dude”, that’s working out pretty well, Dude......

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:yeshaha:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kyrosiris :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ky ro sirius?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

Ky ro sirius?

I think you need to play a Fiesta run with Butz named "Oof" as punishment for this post

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poque posted:

I think you need to play a Fiesta run with Butz named "Oof" as punishment for this post

Is this good enough

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

Is this good enough

Extremely yes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mega64 posted:

Ky ro sirius?

Yes.

Yes!

YES!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Serene Dragon posted:

It was definitely deliberate and it's awful. Like, berserking Rugwizard was also clearly an intended way to beat him because the original developers could have just made him immune to it but Matrix changed it so that he still casts reset through berserk. Matrix is the no-fun allowed police and I will never buy that version.

Magic lamp means any party can get him to kill himself tho. So I'd call it a wash on omni.

As for preventing challenge runs, I've done 20+ fiesta runs no problem. And I think I've skipped doing all tablets twice? Like, the only thing it really restricts is Omega. And I'm personally not really going to complain that a super boss is more difficult.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I only play matrix. While I could get an emulator I don't think the matrix changes have ever made me want to install new software and faff about with ROMs.

The only time I ever hit a wall with matrix was when the beastmaster captured dragon aevis' breath wings turned out to have a miss chance, meaning I had to fight NED honestly with Quick and Gil toss. I don't want to underplay how big of a wall that was, I almost quit this year's fiesta over that NED battle, but since then I've had a lot of fun on the matrix version.

Also autosave is a darling.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 12, 2019

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Better to play Matrix and be happy than to be spoiled on fast forward capabilities and get Ronkan Speed Trapped.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Azza Bamboo posted:

The only time I ever hit a wall with matrix was when the beastmaster captured dragon aevis' breath wings turned out to have a miss chance, meaning I had to fight NED honestly with Quick and Gil toss. I don't want to underplay how big of a wall that was, I almost quit this year's fiesta over that NED battle, but since then I've had a lot of fun on the matrix.

We should all be so unfortunate

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Note to self, !conjure doesn't transfer any magic stat. Once I realized that it was separate from !summon, my scroll casting went from ~1300 against these zombie dragons to ~2700. Scroll from a summoner with a fire rod did ~4200. I think there is a pretty clear winner in this test.

Sort of feeling like I might run something else on my ninja, double double lances does really strong single target damage. [thf/sum/nin/sam], I'm not a big optional bosses sort of player. Maybe evade from samurai, or eventually katanas if I grind that much (+5 str).

Thief is quickly falling into item user status. Duel wield eventually would probably be strong, but again feeling like a short pick-up of evade (or using !escape to bypass annoying random fights) and letting him keep people healed with my giant pile of potions would be as useful and way less work.

Since I have one person who just maxxed thief, I'm sort of tempted to put them on samurai with the agi boost (+14 agi), and leaving them using katana+shield to have a decent damage person who doesn't take much in-fight healing (or give them bone mail) while also being able to spam out !giltoss if something is really kicking my rear end.

I ramble a lot and take way too much time thinking about how to set my guys up compared to just doing it, so posting about it helps me assemble my jumbled thoughts into an actual plan. The samurai is the only person I don't really have strong ideas for, so if there is something neat I'm overlooking feel free to let me know!

edit: summon on thief for stuff like golem might be good too!

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 12, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Run 4 Complete: Geomancer/Chemist/Dragoon/Ninja

Omega was a bit tedious, but no threat thanks to the magic of drugs. My Geomancer's Thunder Scrolls were doing 5k to Omega, and I could handle all his attacks other than the occasional death to Surge Beam. Simple enough.

I actually ground out two Rune Chimes before going for the Tinklebell. Giving my Dragoon the Coral Ring, then using Mix to Haste/buff his levels and have him spam !Jump worked well, and I was able to grab this in only my third victory.

That said, it's not really much better than the Rune Chime, and seemed to even be worse when my levels are buffed to 255. Still, I dual-belled for the entirety of the Void besides Omega.

Shinryu was a joke with Zerk + Blind. Blind is really drat good, y'all.

I buffed everyone to L255 and Zerked my Geomancer. Rune Chime rolled as high as 7k at times, though Tinklebell hovered around 3k. The rest of my team had solid offense as well.

Geomancer, Chemist, and Ninja complement each other nicely. Geomancer is great for grinding Chemist mats, and it has that fat Magic stat for Succubus Kiss and !Throw. Ninja's speed is great for throwing mixes quickly. Dragoon was also there, I guess.

The big thing is that I...like Geomancer now? It's like anti-Dragoon, it's not really self-sufficient by itself but it can have great synergy with certain jobs, and if you have no other mages it can certainly hold its own.

Will probably do a fifth run sometime soon, but that'll do for now!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Note to self, !conjure doesn't transfer any magic stat. Once I realized that it was separate from !summon, my scroll casting went from ~1300 against these zombie dragons to ~2700. Scroll from a summoner with a fire rod did ~4200. I think there is a pretty clear winner in this test.

Sort of feeling like I might run something else on my ninja, double double lances does really strong single target damage. [thf/sum/nin/sam], I'm not a big optional bosses sort of player. Maybe evade from samurai, or eventually katanas if I grind that much (+5 str).

Thief is quickly falling into item user status. Duel wield eventually would probably be strong, but again feeling like a short pick-up of evade (or using !escape to bypass annoying random fights) and letting him keep people healed with my giant pile of potions would be as useful and way less work.

Since I have one person who just maxxed thief, I'm sort of tempted to put them on samurai with the agi boost (+14 agi), and leaving them using katana+shield to have a decent damage person who doesn't take much in-fight healing (or give them bone mail) while also being able to spam out !giltoss if something is really kicking my rear end.

I ramble a lot and take way too much time thinking about how to set my guys up compared to just doing it, so posting about it helps me assemble my jumbled thoughts into an actual plan. The samurai is the only person I don't really have strong ideas for, so if there is something neat I'm overlooking feel free to let me know!

edit: summon on thief for stuff like golem might be good too!

Once you get Syldra, I'd put artful dodger(thief agility) on summoner. And Summon on thief, since they will get the air knife boost. Id probably do katanas on ninja and dw on Samurai. Though I'd still use just twinlance and ck for ninja if you're not on matrix.

Ultimately, you could also just slap summon on everyone and just Syldra your way through the rest of the game.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just finished a run with red mage, time mage, samurai and berserker.

Bosses were generally OK, but man this party is bad at sustained dungeons.

Zerker gonna zerk, samurai was great for bosses susceptible to pay to win but honestly pretty bad apart from that. Instant kill was very useful for clearing things because otherwise my party had like no damage without slamming very expensive time mage spells, which are also pretty unreliable.

Red mage was great for the start, but made pretty bad right up until grinding out double cast. It was nice to have heal spells on all which made things marginally easier.

Time mage hmm, pretty rubbish until right at the end when doing meteor/quick/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor (thanks for that tip Mega64!)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 3, Pure Chaos: Mime / Knight / Red Mage / Dragoon

No Omega this time because meh.

I've been using the balance mod, which helped out a lot on the random stuff and bosses, but I decided to try playing without any of the mod's toys for Shin and NED, so it was pretty rough in both cases; Shin was mostly a sandbagging match until everyone died at least once, at which point Guard+Cover helped, aside from Mime ALSO having Cover (welp!) and occasionally taking bullets instead of my invincible Knight. NED was a bit of a slog since the spellcasting part could basically one-shot someone at will, Almagest was still a good bit of damage even after I Ancient Sworded it for Old, and it got off two Grand Crosses. But TACTICS prevailed!

Anyway next run is Random Fifth Job, starting out with White Mage again. I may just reroll this one if the All Jobs :toxx: is still up, gonna go check! EDIT: Whoops, Fifth Job makes this run ineligible for that one. Oh well.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 13, 2019

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
And speaking of toxxes, Nasgate, jaclynhyde, Kheldarn, and Poque's runs are all noted for the Duplicate Job one.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Just finished a run with red mage, time mage, samurai and berserker.

Bosses were generally OK, but man this party is bad at sustained dungeons.

Zerker gonna zerk, samurai was great for bosses susceptible to pay to win but honestly pretty bad apart from that. Instant kill was very useful for clearing things because otherwise my party had like no damage without slamming very expensive time mage spells, which are also pretty unreliable.

Red mage was great for the start, but made pretty bad right up until grinding out double cast. It was nice to have heal spells on all which made things marginally easier.

Time mage hmm, pretty rubbish until right at the end when doing meteor/quick/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor (thanks for that tip Mega64!)

Why fight anything that isn't a boss? Time has Teleport, Return, and Comet (level independent damage). Gravity is not bad for trash if you insist on fighting, but just attempt running, Return if you fail to run for a bit, then try running some more.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Does the Equipment Status bug not work on the European version or something? Weirdly I couldn't seem to get it to work which is odd because I swore it worked fine before.
Just an update on this, so I tested it out and the Equipment Status bug does not happen with the EU version (well, I tested the orchestral mod but that probably doesn't matter). I double-checked the US version just in case it was an emulator issue and it worked fine there. The appropriate bytes in memory (during battles) for the EU modded version start at 0x0201EBEF, 0201EC83, 0201ED17, and 0201EDAB.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Run 10 Pure Chaos Upgrade: Bard --> Dragoon --> Thief --> Ninja completed.

Bard start wasn't as terrible as I had heard but that was probably in part because I grinded up to 14 before fighting garula. I still used like 56 potions to get through the battle. Dragoon was dragoon. Lance was helpful in draining mp from two of liquid flame's three forms and Jump was useful against sol cannon and archeoavis. Thief was only used in bal basement to steal 8 twin lances. Ninja then mowed over everything with relative ease between twin lances, chicken knife, sasuke's katana, and throw, hide, or sing. I killed omniscient thanks to reflect rings and singing up my level, agility, and strength to 99. It was just enough damage to kill him in one attack from bartz with a twin lance and chicken knife. I just through the assassin's knife at minotaur again 'cause gently caress it. I did all tablet dungeons so I could have sealed weapons to throw only to not throw any of them, oh well.

Omega was free between romeo's ballad, singing up agility, level, and magic, and throwing lightning scrolls at him for like 3400 to 3600 a scroll.

Bartz hid while three zombies punched each other. Shinryu hit himself with atomic rays in confusion.

Ned died very quickly after singing up stats. CK user did 15,000ish damage per attack everyone else did 10,000ish if all four twin lance hits landed. He didn't even get to do anything.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Doom Goon posted:

Just an update on this, so I tested it out and the Equipment Status bug does not happen with the EU version

Huh, interesting. Does that mean Chemist buffs running out when you switch weapons was also fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

derra posted:

Why fight anything that isn't a boss? Time has Teleport, Return, and Comet (level independent damage). Gravity is not bad for trash if you insist on fighting, but just attempt running, Return if you fail to run for a bit, then try running some more.

Because You need 999 ABP to be able to dualcast?