Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gorilla Radio posted:

Is anyone here a JAG? My buddy (US Army) is getting chaptered out for a disclosed mental illness that his recruiter ignored. My buddy actually wants to stay in (actually loving crazy, right? Catch-22) but has had his two hearings and lost. Is there anything else he can do?

Life is doing him a favor and he should really embrace that he's not under the command of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ughhhh posted:

predatory wedding loans

This is it, this is the ultimate American Armed Forces thing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Memento posted:

This is it, this is the ultimate American Armed Forces thing.

When you absolutely need to hire out the entire Taco Bell.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Gorilla Radio posted:

Is anyone here a JAG? My buddy (US Army) is getting chaptered out for a disclosed mental illness that his recruiter ignored. My buddy actually wants to stay in (actually loving crazy, right? Catch-22) but has had his two hearings and lost. Is there anything else he can do?

Not throw away his lotto ticket for a better quality of life, imho

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Breaching rounds don't work that way, they're little metal fletchette type splinters in a mini sabot to maximize penetration of the (metal) and minimize spalling and ricochets after they straight up blast a hole in door hinges. They're designed to evaporate, not penetrate. If you wanted to murder anyone within 50m or more sure though

they're not flechettes good lord, they're a slug of metal powder pressed together with just enough heat to stick together but evaporate on impact

flechettes are the nail gun from quake

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Gorilla Radio posted:

Wayyyyyy too late if it’s anything like the Navy/USMC system. Just fight to get those VA claims.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CainFortea posted:

Edit: Also those pizza box badges looool

Lol goddamn

Also in the video:

wait what posted:

He's African American, I'm Filipino...

Stupidity has no race, dipshit.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Jaguars! posted:

The GI lays on its back, its armour plate baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not until you take off the radio, the first line ammo, the second line ammo, the CDF, the 72. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

:laffo: I refuse to let this post go unrecognized.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

they're not flechettes good lord, they're a slug of metal powder pressed together with just enough heat to stick together but evaporate on impact

:stonk:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That works out to 1 flechette per 5.6 square meters, although I have to assume there's some clumping near the center. Did these actually end up getting used?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That works out to 1 flechette per 5.6 square meters, although I have to assume there's some clumping near the center. Did these actually end up getting used?

Probably not to the same extent as lazy dogs in Vietnam

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lazy dog bombs are small metal nerf footballs you dump out of planes and they 100% rely on gravity and come screeching in at 200 mph

Experimental Lazy Dog projectiles of various shapes and sizes were tested at Air Proving Ground, Eglin AFB, Florida, in late 1951 and early 1952. An F-84 flying at 400 knots and 75 feet (23 m) above the ground served as the test bed while a jeep and a B-24 were the targets.[4] The result was eight hits per square yard. Tests revealed Shapes 2 and 5 to be the most effective. Shape 5, an improved basic Lazy Dog slug, had the force of a .50 caliber bullet and could penetrate 24 inches (61 cm) of packed sand.[4] Shape 2 could penetrate 12 inches (30 cm) of sand—twice as much as a .45 caliber slug fired point blank.[4]

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was at a local range, and there was an older dude in a unit had sighting in a 22. We got to talking, and it turns out he flew support for SOG (CCN). As we chatted for awhile, he chuckled a bit, and then said, "I miss nailing Cong to the trees with flechette rockets."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

lazy dog bombs are small metal nerf footballs you dump out of planes and they 100% rely on gravity and come screeching in at 200 mph

Experimental Lazy Dog projectiles of various shapes and sizes were tested at Air Proving Ground, Eglin AFB, Florida, in late 1951 and early 1952. An F-84 flying at 400 knots and 75 feet (23 m) above the ground served as the test bed while a jeep and a B-24 were the targets.[4] The result was eight hits per square yard. Tests revealed Shapes 2 and 5 to be the most effective. Shape 5, an improved basic Lazy Dog slug, had the force of a .50 caliber bullet and could penetrate 24 inches (61 cm) of packed sand.[4] Shape 2 could penetrate 12 inches (30 cm) of sand—twice as much as a .45 caliber slug fired point blank.[4]

During the international intervention in Libya, French jets ran out of explosive munitions so they switched to concrete-filled training bombs - worked extremely well iirc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Alright this story happened a long time ago so some of the details might be off. I swear that this story eventually ties into the military.

Back in 2005-2006 eve online was a new thing and it was the perfect game to goon rush. The initial period was one of much turmoil with many different goon groups rising, falling, and imploding not unlike orc tribes from warhammer. Finally a savior emerged as goon orc mentality saw the fattest and gooniest person and everyone rallied behind him. Dan Dargon AKA Remedial was a law school student who at the beginning was being supported by his parents whom I believe were also lawyers. Dargon however had a fatal flaw and could not resist the siren call of puerto rican pussy, largely because she was the first :female: to tolerate his presence much less spread her legs. Remedial's parents did not approve of their overweight manchild son dating an overweight puerto rican and once they became engaged decided to cut him off. Dear Leader now cutoff from his family check book and unable to get a fast food job as he couldn't understand the part where you give customers food instead of eating it asked goons for donations from his fellow eve goons so that he could pay rent, allowing him to continue playing space leader and going to law school. He was showered with a few thousand dollars and things were great for awhile. Soon however this was not enough, as he stole all the assets that his position as leader allowed him to get hands on and sold everything on ebay for more rent money.

A few years go by and he is mostly forgotten about. He has finished law school and found employment in a law firm. One of the goons that did not forget went looking for him elsewhere online, and found him on a swingers website and found a photo of our dear chubby manchild with his baby dick in hand. Naturally, goons took to faxing this photo of him holding his baby dick to his law office.

Another few years go by and he starts his own law firm dealing with mortgages, except that he does so illegally and is soon forced to shutter his office as he faces 300k in fines that he is unable to pay. And so he does the obvious thing: enlist in the army as infantry as an overweight failed Saul Goodman, resulting in what has to be the most over qualified company clerk in US history as I'm sure some 1st sgt cummed when he had access to PFC with a no poo poo law degree to do his paper work

http://badlawyernyc.blogspot.com/2011/07/im-not-really-happy-about-too-many.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dandargon/

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Updates? In theory he apparently isn’t past the RCP for SPC. :lol:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was at a local range, and there was an older dude in a unit had sighting in a 22. We got to talking, and it turns out he flew support for SOG (CCN). As we chatted for awhile, he chuckled a bit, and then said, "I miss nailing Cong to the trees with flechette rockets."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

Updates? In theory he apparently isn’t past the RCP for SPC. :lol:

he hired one of those services that floods the internet with websites about you in order to make it hard to find the news articles

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

he hired one of those services that floods the internet with websites about you in order to make it hard to find the news articles

I saw Pookie posting about 2006 and already knew RemDick was making an appearance.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Meet the Ontos.

Take 6 105mm recoilless rifles, mount them on a self-propelled track chassis. Designed to be a lightweight tank destroyer, it performed fairly lovely in that role. However, once Vietnam rolled around they figured out they were great for airbase security when they loaded all six barrels with flechette rounds. Said rounds were nicknamed 'Beehive' because the sound of the flechettes cutting through the jungle evidently sounded like the world's angriest swarm of bees.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

yeah my bad for misspeaking, I had the image of little metal splinters that the compressed powder makes when it gets fired in my head when I was posting that but my brain just inserted the wrong word.

fletchettes are much nastier things.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It took me forever to figure out what a flechette was as a kid thanks to Hexen having three different items called Flechettes, none of which were a flechette.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Has he requested a JAG to consult with? He's entitled to one, and he needs to do it yesterday.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Alright this story happened a long time ago so some of the details might be off. I swear that this story eventually ties into the military.

Back in 2005-2006 eve online was a new thing and it was the perfect game to goon rush. The initial period was one of much turmoil with many different goon groups rising, falling, and imploding not unlike orc tribes from warhammer. Finally a savior emerged as goon orc mentality saw the fattest and gooniest person and everyone rallied behind him. Dan Dargon AKA Remedial was a law school student who at the beginning was being supported by his parents whom I believe were also lawyers. Dargon however had a fatal flaw and could not resist the siren call of puerto rican pussy, largely because she was the first :female: to tolerate his presence much less spread her legs. Remedial's parents did not approve of their overweight manchild son dating an overweight puerto rican and once they became engaged decided to cut him off. Dear Leader now cutoff from his family check book and unable to get a fast food job as he couldn't understand the part where you give customers food instead of eating it asked goons for donations from his fellow eve goons so that he could pay rent, allowing him to continue playing space leader and going to law school. He was showered with a few thousand dollars and things were great for awhile. Soon however this was not enough, as he stole all the assets that his position as leader allowed him to get hands on and sold everything on ebay for more rent money.

A few years go by and he is mostly forgotten about. He has finished law school and found employment in a law firm. One of the goons that did not forget went looking for him elsewhere online, and found him on a swingers website and found a photo of our dear chubby manchild with his baby dick in hand. Naturally, goons took to faxing this photo of him holding his baby dick to his law office.

Another few years go by and he starts his own law firm dealing with mortgages, except that he does so illegally and is soon forced to shutter his office as he faces 300k in fines that he is unable to pay. And so he does the obvious thing: enlist in the army as infantry as an overweight failed Saul Goodman, resulting in what has to be the most over qualified company clerk in US history as I'm sure some 1st sgt cummed when he had access to PFC with a no poo poo law degree to do his paper work

http://badlawyernyc.blogspot.com/2011/07/im-not-really-happy-about-too-many.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dandargon/

Is he still all up in that fine PR panocha?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1149707791235526662?s=20

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Goddamned Florida Nuetzis.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

They make you go nuetz.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Right into my veins

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Flechette chat- the replacement for the flechette round for tanks is the Canister round. https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/large-caliber-ammunition/120mm-m1028/ this is a 120mm shotgun shell containing tungsten balls. Is fun.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wild T posted:

It took me forever to figure out what a flechette was as a kid thanks to Hexen having three different items called Flechettes, none of which were a flechette.

same

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Flechette chat- the replacement for the flechette round for tanks is the Canister round. https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/large-caliber-ammunition/120mm-m1028/ this is a 120mm shotgun shell containing tungsten balls. Is fun.

Give them a whiff of grapeshot!

The true classics never go out of style!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Valtonen posted:

In slow-mo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

how she did neutzi this coming?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Cannister rounds are the best. I happened to get a side view of one being fired through thermals, and going by the cloud zipping by, at about 500 meters you would shred an entire infantry platoon in patrol formation into fertilizer and cloth strips.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Dingleberry posted:

Is he still all up in that fine PR panocha?

He was as of a few years ago. When I was at Drum I randomly came across a post from his wife on a facebook FRG page. A quick search in global confirmed that I was in fact CLIMBING TO GLORY at the same time as Remedial.

I got curious and looked again a few months back but I couldn't find him, so I'm guessing he's out now.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

not caring here posted:

Cannister rounds are the best. I happened to get a side view of one being fired through thermals, and going by the cloud zipping by, at about 500 meters you would shred an entire infantry platoon in patrol formation into fertilizer and cloth strips.

The US Army gunnery rules require a tank firing one to call ”fire and suppress” which means using the coaxial machinegun to ”sweep remaining enemies” immediately after a can round. Needless to say, in actuality you press the triggers, and after the smoke clears you ceremonially fire a burst into where you think the targets used to be and radio ”target” to the tower since all target silhouettes are long gone.

Summa summarum, i dont want to witness firing one into an actual real-life situation.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah the aftermath of that has to not be uh, pretty. I wonder what kind of energy each of those tungsten balls are packing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah the aftermath of that has to not be uh, pretty. I wonder what kind of energy each of those tungsten balls are packing.

Enough to ruin your entire day.

Just looking at that video and trying to imagine fighting a tank while on foot is giving me heartburn.

I bet a good hit from one of those rounds would mulch the entire crew of an 1151, for that matter. I try to think about what fighting a force-parity-ish conflict would be like compared to the occupations, and basically just gently caress me. Who would do that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Valtonen posted:

The US Army gunnery rules require a tank firing one to call ”fire and suppress” which means using the coaxial machinegun to ”sweep remaining enemies” immediately after a can round. Needless to say, in actuality you press the triggers, and after the smoke clears you ceremonially fire a burst into where you think the targets used to be and radio ”target” to the tower since all target silhouettes are long gone.

Summa summarum, i dont want to witness firing one into an actual real-life situation.

The coax rounds are to mercy kill anyone that is unfortunate enough to still be alive after the cannister round blew through.

I did some napkin math. Assume that each ball is ~.25" or 1cm in diameter and is composed of pure tungsten (19.25g/cm^3). General Dynamics claims that the muzzle velocity for the round is ~1400m/s.

KE = (1/2)mv^2 or ~9800 joules at the muzzle

1400m/s buckshot is no laughing matter.

That number seemed absurdly high so feel free to run the numbers yourself and correct me.