Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

17 episodes into G-Reco. Yeah, this is still cool. I can't quite imagine why it gets so much hate, though I can completely understand why you might not get into it if you only half-watch it. I've been giving it my full attention and I still kinda missed some stuff.

Klim and Mick are a great double act though, I never get tired of watching those two. Mask needs to be about 20% more bombastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

17 episodes into G-Reco. Yeah, this is still cool. I can't quite imagine why it gets so much hate, though I can completely understand why you might not get into it if you only half-watch it. I've been giving it my full attention and I still kinda missed some stuff.

Klim and Mick are a great double act though, I never get tired of watching those two. Mask needs to be about 20% more bombastic though.

The real flaw with G-Reco is it needs about 5-10 more episodes scattered about to really let everything gel together once it gets into space. As-is it rushes through each arc to get to the next just a little too hastily at times.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Hopefully the G-Reco movies will spur a Hecate kit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RillAkBea posted:

Mask's hype levels slowly build over the course of the series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I desperately need Viz to bring the Thunderbolt sidestory manga to America

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
As much as I enjoyed G-Reco when it was airing, if it weren't for following this thread I would have been so lost

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Man I just started watching Zeta for the first time and I gotta say... “Hey! Are you Char?” “Nope! I’m clearly Quattro!”

Amuro shows up “HOLY gently caress ITS CHAR! EVERYONE THIS GUY IN THE GLASSES IS CHAR!”
Hayato “Oh get the stick out of your rear end it’s not Char it’s Quattro! He said so!”

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I don’t get why Amuro told those lies about Quattro either.

Like Quattro doesn’t even pilot a red mobile suit, they’re pretty blatantly different characters. Amuro’s delusional.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I don’t get why Amuro told those lies about Quattro either.

Like Quattro doesn’t even pilot a red mobile suit, they’re pretty blatantly different characters. Amuro’s delusional.

What about the red Rick Dias?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Look if Quattro was Char that means he chose to go by Quattro Bajeena

Ipso facto they cannot be the same person :science:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

What about the red Rick Dias?
You mean the orange ones? I think they’re orange.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zore posted:

He's not a Char, he identifies as a Quattro, how dare you mischaracter him.

Biologically, he's still a Char though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dead Like Rev posted:

Man I just started watching Zeta for the first time and I gotta say... “Hey! Are you Char?” “Nope! I’m clearly Quattro!”

Amuro shows up “HOLY gently caress ITS CHAR! EVERYONE THIS GUY IN THE GLASSES IS CHAR!”
Hayato “Oh get the stick out of your rear end it’s not Char it’s Quattro! He said so!”

Are you watching dubbed or subbed?

I know the dub isn't that popular or anything but I \liked it and so did most people on here I think. I've always been conflicted on whether I like the original Japanese OP's or the dub OP more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSycojV_L1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVp_jCwhFB0

Although does anybody know if the Right Stuff blurays come with the dubbed OP or the original ones?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

You mean the orange ones? I think they’re orange.

Looks pink to me. Char clearly flies a red mobile suit.

Maybe Quattro is Johnny Ridden?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Whenever I meet someone new I accuse them of being a Char, just in case

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marx Headroom posted:

Whenever I meet someone new I accuse them of being a Char, just in case

Do they wear a mask, have blond hair, enjoy relationships with underage women, pilot red mecha, or are manchildren? If so, there's a high probability that you are right and they are Chars.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Char did NOT enjoy his relationships with underage women.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Do they wear a mask, have blond hair, enjoy relationships with underage women, pilot red mecha, or are manchildren? If so, there's a high probability that you are right and they are Chars.

But you see if he wears sunglasses and sleeveless shirt smock and or pilots a red mecha to later pilot a gold mecha.... Clearly not Char. Clearly its Quattro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Amuro never saw Quattro fly the Rick Dias, right? He'd switched over to the Hyaku Shiki by that point, and gold is Quattro's style.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Zore posted:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Quattro kissed a grown woman. Clearly not Char.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you watching dubbed or subbed?

I know the dub isn't that popular or anything but I \liked it and so did most people on here I think. I've always been conflicted on whether I like the original Japanese OP's or the dub OP more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSycojV_L1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVp_jCwhFB0

Although does anybody know if the Right Stuff blurays come with the dubbed OP or the original ones?

Dubbed version, i tried watching the sub and whats her name screaming KAMILLE over and over in the first episode did it in for me. Way more tolerable in the apparently less than desirable Dub.

Oh, the Rick Dias is all sorts of amazing but can anyone tell me why the gently caress the Titans are using almost nothing but Hi-Zacks? I mean yeah they've got the mobile armors tossed here and there but their grunt suit straight up appears to be the Hi-Zack and for an earth federation based outfit I don't get it?

Edit 3: I've gotten far enough where they're heading into space. Quattro walks into the lift with Amuro and is all "I think you should go into space"
Amuro : "No It's not for me, I'm terrified of that feeling of weightlessness."
*takes off sunglasses*
Char: "HAHAHAHA MOTHER FUCKER I AM CHAR AND I THINK YOURE JUST SCARED OF LALA!"
Amuro: "YOU MOTHER FUCKER!"
*sunglasses back on*
Quattro: "I DONT KNOW WHO THAT CHAR GUY IS BUT ITS NOT ME AHAHAHAHAHA!"

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 12, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Neil Sedaka ripoff original OP for Zeta remains the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZVb9IggJQ

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Looks pink to me. Char clearly flies a red mobile suit.

Maybe Quattro is Johnny Ridden?

i hope there's some obscure gundam side novel where johnny ridden has to pretend to be char pretending to be quattro while char is off pretending to be johnny ridden pretending to be... edward mass

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dead Like Rev posted:

Oh, the Rick Dias is all sorts of amazing but can anyone tell me why the gently caress the Titans are using almost nothing but Hi-Zacks? I mean yeah they've got the mobile armors tossed here and there but their grunt suit straight up appears to be the Hi-Zack and for an earth federation based outfit I don't get it?

After the OYW, the Federation absorbed all the genius Nazi Zeon mobile suit designers, engineers, and manufacturers to make use of all the stuff they had learned during the war. The Zaku was basically a triumph of rugged, general purpose design that was most importantly cheap as gently caress to build shitloads of, so the Hizack is basically a modernized version of that. It's cheap, rugged, and reliable and good enough to perform the duties the EFF/Titans were performing at the time(stomping out Zeon remnants and keeping the peace).

It's a parallel to how in real life the Allies absorbed shitloads of knowledge and personnel from the Axis, like the U.S. taking in Nazi rocket engineers who built V2 rockets to bombard London and repurposing that knowledge to go to the Moon, or the Allies gaining medical knowledge from stuff like the Unit 731 atrocities.

(From a meta perspective, the real reason is that Zeon-coded suits are traditionally the bad guys in Gundam and it's much easier on a casual viewer to maintain that visual pattern. Most of the later Zeta suits the Titans deploy also look very Zeonic.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's cause the mono-eye looks cool as hell and the Titans know that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Merilan posted:

i hope there's some obscure gundam side novel where johnny ridden has to pretend to be char pretending to be quattro while char is off pretending to be johnny ridden pretending to be... edward mass

This could easly go into a SRW game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

(From a meta perspective, the real reason is that Zeon-coded suits are traditionally the bad guys in Gundam and it's much easier on a casual viewer to maintain that visual pattern. Most of the later Zeta suits the Titans deploy also look very Zeonic.)

Which, to put an impromptu wishlist post, I would love to see a Gundam Ace Combat style game where everyone uses everyone's suits. Sorta an MS Saga game, but action rather than RPG.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

After the OYW, the Federation absorbed all the genius Nazi Zeon mobile suit designers, engineers, and manufacturers to make use of all the stuff they had learned during the war. The Zaku was basically a triumph of rugged, general purpose design that was most importantly cheap as gently caress to build shitloads of, so the Hizack is basically a modernized version of that. It's cheap, rugged, and reliable and good enough to perform the duties the EFF/Titans were performing at the time(stomping out Zeon remnants and keeping the peace).

It's a parallel to how in real life the Allies absorbed shitloads of knowledge and personnel from the Axis, like the U.S. taking in Nazi rocket engineers who built V2 rockets to bombard London and repurposing that knowledge to go to the Moon, or the Allies gaining medical knowledge from stuff like the Unit 731 atrocities.

Later materials further expanded upon this by revealing that the Federation ended up outright producing quite a few Zeon units for their own usage as well, with the Act Zaku, EWAC Zaku, and several aquatic Zaku variants being the primary examples

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Neil Sedaka ripoff original OP for Zeta remains the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZVb9IggJQ

I'd say Richie Kotzen's cover of it is a pretty strong contender as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngaBfVeJ3i4

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Which, to put an impromptu wishlist post, I would love to see a Gundam Ace Combat style game where everyone uses everyone's suits. Sorta an MS Saga game, but action rather than RPG.

The Gundam Battle ________ games on the PSP were pretty close to this. Though there's no in-game reactions to what you pilot so nobody bats an eyelid if you take down A Baoa Qu and win the OYW with a Ball.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RillAkBea posted:

The Gundam Battle ________ games on the PSP were pretty close to this. Though there's no in-game reactions to what you pilot so nobody bats an eyelid if you take down A Baoa Qu and win the OYW with a Ball.

I mean, there's no real reason to be shocked so long as the pilot is a true Newtype and A Baoa Qu is defended by no more than six Doms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Zaku thing is funny because I remember hearing that one of the Nazi ideas for how to deal with the Soviet T-34 tank was "let's just make it ourselves? Obviously some details will be different but it's a real good tank." I believe this plan was rejected as being far too sensible for German procurement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sloped armor plate on the top glacis of the Panther tank was directly inspired by the T34.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I lust for a new one of those, SEED Battle Destiny on the Vita was the last one of those we’ve seen.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nessus posted:

The Zaku thing is funny because I remember hearing that one of the Nazi ideas for how to deal with the Soviet T-34 tank was "let's just make it ourselves? Obviously some details will be different but it's a real good tank." I believe this plan was rejected as being far too sensible for German procurement.

If this was even a remotely serious thing in the first place, than any sort of procurement individual in any army would tell you this would be an incredibly stupid idea. Even ignoring that it's not THAT much better (and there are actual pros and cons) than its actual counterpart - the Pz. IV - as opposed to the big cats, producing something even remotely close would involve entirely retooling your own production lines, which is a massive loss of time. Captured ones being pressed into service? Sure, but that's an entirely different thing.

It kind of needs to be remembered that while the T-34 was a really good tank at the beginning of the war, it kept being produced years in because it was "good enough." Sure, it was the most produced tank in history, but it also had the most losses in history too, with its total LOSSES exceeding the numbers of every single German tank and assault gun produced combined. Even ignoring the chronic overengineering issues of later designs, there was just flat out no way they had the factory space, resources or even manpower to match those sorts of production numbers, regardless of how simple a design they came up with (even before they started getting bombed).

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh man, I forgot how sad Emma's death makes me and the ending of Zeta in general. Except Katz, Katz dying is fine by me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

unless tanks can walk on two legs and swing a giant ball-and-chain i don't give a drat

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh man, I forgot how sad Emma's death makes me and the ending of Zeta in general. Except Katz, Katz dying is fine by me.

rip katz he died as he lived: accomplishing nothing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Germany also had ridiculous procurement problems that drove Guderian up the wall. He found out that procurement was taking resources away from the StuG factories to build Jagdpanzers as tank hunters, despite the fact that the StuGs were already pulling double duty as tank hunters and assault guns and excelling in both roles. The German designs were either pigeonholed onto extremely specific tactical niches or they were made into omni purpose vehicles and they had to suffer all the pros and cons that entailed.
At least the poor bastards designing the tanks didn't have to deal with the batshit insanity that was the Luftwaffe's research and development misadventures.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

*Katz runs into an asteroid, dies*
Me: Finally, Jesus.
*shot of Emma's floating body when the colony lazor goes off*
Me: :(

The only thing the Zeta movies did right was lighten the ending up just a little. Fa's reaction to Kamille post Scirocco destroying his mind and then bringing in the Zeta and the Mk. 2 hit me hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Nazi T-34 equivalent was the Skoda T-25. It didn't get far off the ground, but some of the design concepts it introduced were used in the Panther.