Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i didn't see this posted, but i backed dungeons and delvers red book (it funded like literally the day before all this dropped) and this is all that has been posted there about the reveal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: God, I keep remembering worse things. Lord Soth. Everything about Lord Soth, but especially the bit where he is redeemed by realizing it was hosed up to murder his wife and child to conceal that he'd been boning down with. Not doing anything about it mind you, just after centuries going 'huh, my bad'.

Also one of only two darklords to escape Ravenloft. Vecna did it by, if I remember right, some scheme which would blow up the entire plane if he wasn't spat out so the Mists gave in. Lord Soth did it by having copyright lawyers.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bruceski posted:

Also one of only two darklords to escape Ravenloft. Vecna did it by, if I remember right, some scheme which would blow up the entire plane if he wasn't spat out so the Mists gave in. Lord Soth did it by having copyright lawyers.

Vecna got out because he invaded Sigil in Die Vecna Die! after luring Iuz to Ravenloft and stealing his power. The PCs get him booted out of Sigil and back to the Prime (Oerth maybe?), losing a bunch of divinity in the process but retaining power as a lesser god.

Soth either immediately left the Mists upon entering, or got his own demiplane there, depending on who you ask. If the latter is to be believed, then he wandered around a bunch of mirrored worlds and ignored his demiplane, and his lack of regret for his choices eventually lead to the Mists barfing him out because they figured out that he was too stubborn to ever change. Which is a hell of a power move, honestly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Slimnoid posted:

Vecna got out because he invaded Sigil in Die Vecna Die! after luring Iuz to Ravenloft and stealing his power. The PCs get him booted out of Sigil and back to the Prime (Oerth maybe?), losing a bunch of divinity in the process but retaining power as a lesser god.

Soth either immediately left the Mists upon entering, or got his own demiplane there, depending on who you ask. If the latter is to be believed, then he wandered around a bunch of mirrored worlds and ignored his demiplane, and his lack of regret for his choices eventually lead to the Mists barfing him out because they figured out that he was too stubborn to ever change. Which is a hell of a power move, honestly.

Yeah, that's part of what makes his 'whoops, redeemed' finale so frustrating. He was such an unrepentant monster that the plane that exists solely to torment monsters couldn't find a way to make him react.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

i didn't see this posted, but i backed dungeons and delvers red book (it funded like literally the day before all this dropped) and this is all that has been posted there about the reveal:

lmfao

I didn't back it, or I'd be asking for an update in light of the Desborough thing!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So is he trying to deny it was him or not trying to deny it was him, I'm still confused about which excuse he's sticking with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

So is he trying to deny it was him or not trying to deny it was him, I'm still confused about which excuse he's sticking with.
My guess is that nobody believed his lies, so he's trying out the alt-right grift branch of the decision tree, now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LuiCypher posted:

Doesn't Raistlin also travel back in time and cause the Cataclysm? I feel like that was the plot of the one Dragonlance book I read. Also, there was something about him finding just the right woman to overcome his incel shittiness. Thinking about that, hoo boy there is a lot of bad poo poo to unpack there if I remember it correctly.

He traveled back in time to kill the head goddess of the evil pantheon and take her place. His brother, a hot cleric woman, and Tasselhoff Burrfoot followed him. He'd taken over the body of another evil wizard that was trying to control him, so his curse wasn't active and he could see how hot the cleric woman was. I don't remember him being directly responsible for the Catacylsm, but he was digging around in their arcane libraries for the magical power he'd need to kill a god, iirc.

Liquid Communism posted:

That was later. Caramon slamming ham with Raistlin's crush is what sent him into the Test with such a lovely attitude that they cursed him like that.

The bit in Twins with the Priestess was about him 'sure you can change me' gaslighting her until she opened a portal into hell so he could go beat up Takhisis and become a God.

Edit: God, I keep remembering worse things. Lord Soth. Everything about Lord Soth, but especially the bit where he is redeemed by realizing it was hosed up to murder his wife and child to conceal that he'd been boning down with. Not doing anything about it mind you, just after centuries going 'huh, my bad'.

The curse was there from the start though and, if I remember right, the backstory about the girl he longed for from afar falling for his Chad brother was from a later novel addition someone probably thought would make him more sympathetic. He was mostly manipulating the hot cleric lady, but he also found her pretty hot until they jumped forward in time again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This discussion kinda wants to make me do a Let's Read thread of the Dragonlance stuff as a Grown rear end Adult starting with Chronicles and going as far as I can stomach. Idk if enough people would read it to make it worth the effort though.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Toshimo posted:

This discussion kinda wants to make me do a Let's Read thread of the Dragonlance stuff as a Grown rear end Adult starting with Chronicles and going as far as I can stomach. Idk if enough people would read it to make it worth the effort though.

The novels, the adventures based upon the novels, or both?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's part of what makes his 'whoops, redeemed' finale so frustrating. He was such an unrepentant monster that the plane that exists solely to torment monsters couldn't find a way to make him react.

I wouldn't have minded that finale so much if it was handled like he was just done with unlife. Like he'd gotten so tired of his existence and just wanted to rest and found some means of regaining his mortality so that he could finally die. That'd be a better way than the "whoops, I hosed up" plot they followed, which was disingenuous at best.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libertad! posted:

The novels, the adventures based upon the novels, or both?

I don't have any real background to speak authoritatively on the TTRPG sourcebooks, so obviously they should be included.

Also, maybe the animated film and the old Commodore 64 era video games.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Do you know how many people have read and posted about the Let's Read of Sword of Truth books by noted garbage fantasy author Terry Goodkind that DARKSEID DICK PICS has been plugging away at?

:justpost:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Raistlin was the late 80s paperback version of Sephiroth. If MMOs has come out before FF7, all the angsty teens playing on their parents credit card would have handles like Raistlin420.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

lmfao

I didn't back it, or I'd be asking for an update in light of the Desborough thing!

i sent a request for a refund and he has not gotten back to me lol

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Toshimo posted:

Do it

Do it and post a link so I can see

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kai Tave posted:

He's trying to imply that this is some kind of massive double or triple depth conspiracy where someone is pretending to be him hating gnome to discredit him.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kurieg posted:

He's trying to imply that this is some kind of massive double or triple depth conspiracy where someone is pretending to be him hating gnome to discredit him.

Despite his obvious hatred of gnome?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ah, the good ol', "You don't have my notarized confession, therefor I must be innocent," defense

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Darwinism posted:

After Watership Down nothing in Dragonlance was tugging too hard at my heartstrings, but I liked the prequel book where Sturm, Kitiara, and a bunch of gnomes go to the fuckin' moon

Plague Dogs for me.

I mean Sturm's death's sad I guess but god drat richard adams what the gently caress dude.

e: I liked Dragonlance just fine and I was a fairly to very weird kid at that point, but Raistlin's such an obviously poo poo person it's still a mystery how even weird kids empathised with him.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 14, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Plague Dogs for me.

Better than the movie! Which cuts the last bit! My god.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Better than the movie! Which cuts the last bit! My god.

I've never seen the movie. My 12 year old brain interpreted everything past the "keep swimming" stuff as a death-dream, because of the foreshadowing right at the start. Like I said, weird kid.

Turns out that's how the story was supposed to go before editing, too, so I guess it makes a kind of sense to read it that way, if you want to be sadder than you otherwise might have been.

e: Wait, I would have been like 10 or maaaybe 11 when I read that book. I was still in primary school, because I remember that I got it from the school library.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 14, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me. In grade eight, we were assigned lower-grade 'buddies' for... whatever reason. Once a week, or once every couple of weeks, the eighth graders and the younger kids would spend a class doing... stuff together.

As our end of year treat, we got to sit in the gymnasium and watch a movie with them!

Watership goddamn Down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey don't make fun of Raistlin being an incel, he did it before it was popular.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bieeanshee posted:

That reminds me. In grade eight, we were assigned lower-grade 'buddies' for... whatever reason. Once a week, or once every couple of weeks, the eighth graders and the younger kids would spend a class doing... stuff together.

As our end of year treat, we got to sit in the gymnasium and watch a movie with them!

Watership goddamn Down.

Adult: Cartoon bunnies! <leaves room>

Kids: :stare:

Incredibly common. Same people who were freaking out about what D&D might do to the kids in roughly that era.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 14, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As a kid I got a picture book of Secret of Nimh. Wasn't too bad actually. When I saw the actual movie though it was retroactively freaky as hell, some of those segments are a LOT scarier in motion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Adult: Cartoon bunnies! <leaves room>

Kids: :stare:

Incredibly common. Same people who were freaking out about what D&D might do to the kids in roughly that era.

When I was a little kid, the local video store just kind of randomly put anything animated into the kids section.

I saw Ralph Bakshi's Wizards so many times by age 3 that my parents just gave up and let me watch whatever, cause what was going to be worse than elf tits and Nazi propaganda.

I honestly seriously wonder if that hosed me up at some level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

When I was a little kid, the local video store just kind of randomly put anything animated into the kids section.

I saw Ralph Bakshi's Wizards so many times by age 3 that my parents just gave up and let me watch whatever, cause what was going to be worse than elf tits and Nazi propaganda.

I honestly seriously wonder if that hosed me up at some level.

Is that movie as amazing as the plot summary makes it sound?

"Avatar has become a tutor tasked with training the president's daughter, Elinore, to become a full-fledged fairy. Suddenly, the president is assassinated by Necron 99, a robot sent by Blackwolf to kill believers in magic. Avatar confronts the robot and battles it using brain reading."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bruceski posted:

"Avatar has become a tutor tasked with training the president's daughter, Elinore, to become a full-fledged fairy. Suddenly, the president is assassinated by Necron 99, a robot sent by Blackwolf to kill believers in magic. Avatar confronts the robot and battles it using brain reading."

We did a goon simulwatch of it a couple years ago and people were losing their poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bruceski posted:

Not in like the way an actually good movie is amazing, but in the way a just bizarre and weird movie can be while you drink beer with buddies. I re-watched it years later in college with my best friend over most of the bottle of Jim Beam and had a pretty great time. But half of that was spent screaming, "What?!?!?!?!?"

Certainly not a Trolls II, but uh, it's getting up there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh wait, I got the Rankin-Bass Return of the King mixed up with Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. Okay, I know what to expect now.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Wizards is objectively terrible, but it’s probably my favorite bad movie. The mage duel at the end between the two brothers is the best in cinema.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Malthusian posted:

Wizards is objectively terrible, but it’s probably my favorite bad movie. The mage duel at the end between the two brothers is the best in cinema.

Yeah that's probably my favorite scene in cinema and I don't want to spoil it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Oh wait, I got the Rankin-Bass Return of the King mixed up with Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. Okay, I know what to expect now.

Yeah that'd explain your reaction some. Keep in mind this is the same people who did Fritz the Cat.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah that's probably my favorite scene in cinema and I don't want to spoil it.

I wouldn't go that far (it's no finale of The Last of the Mohicans), but it's hilarious and should be watched unspoiled.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plague Dogs for me.

I mean Sturm's death's sad I guess but god drat richard adams what the gently caress dude.

e: I liked Dragonlance just fine and I was a fairly to very weird kid at that point, but Raistlin's such an obviously poo poo person it's still a mystery how even weird kids empathised with him.

I can't comment. My favorite hero of the lance was Flint because I was apparently born too old for the world's poo poo. :p

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I should probably watch Wizards sometime; I have a bizarre love for Bakshi (it's me, I'm the person who really got into Cool World), but for some reason I still haven't seen that one yet, which is ludicrous.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Our friends semi-regularly meet up for Bad Films Friday, and whenever we see anything particularly bad, we reassure ourselves that at least it wasn't as bad as Wizards.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whybird posted:

Our friends semi-regularly meet up for Bad Films Friday, and whenever we see anything particularly bad, we reassure ourselves that at least it wasn't as bad as Wizards.

So you’ve not seen Guns of El Chupacabra, then.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dungeons and delvers guy gave me my refund with almost comically businesslike cheer

i suspect he's going to post through this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

dungeons and delvers guy gave me my refund with almost comically businesslike cheer

i suspect he's going to post through this
It's always hilarious when these guys try to act all professional in the "business space" like we can't see how they act everywhere else.