Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Taear posted:

I think it's just that I still can't get over why they get rid of the original Kai in DS9 - they wanted to kill a recurring character and she seemed the best idea - and their total lack of thinking how it affected the overarching story.

But then we wouldn't have gotten Winn, who was a key antagonist. Were they going to have Opaka turn into a selfish, power-hungry conniving little poo poo?

The Golden Gael posted:

I wonder if this would have been any good.

Ugh no thank The Prophets that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shame that the world missed an opportunity for a Golden Girls/Star Trek crossover event. Now we'll never know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taear posted:

I think it's just that I still can't get over why they get rid of the original Kai in DS9 - they wanted to kill a recurring character and she seemed the best idea - and their total lack of thinking how it affected the overarching story.

She wasn't even dead-dead, if anyone really wanted to get her spiritual guidance they could just fly out to her. She could've been like a saintly hermit.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Taear posted:

When you read Memory Alpha it always surprises me how little the writers seem to care about their characters or any sort of internal consistency.
Like yea, why would Klingons invent cloaking devices? The answer is that they were a totally different race in TOS and it made a ton more sense for them then and what we know as Klingons aren't the same as TOS even a tiny bit. Which is kind of a shame.

Ronald D Moore loving loves killing fictional people, but has no idea how to portray others' reactions to it. Everyone's got their kinks, I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I saw a woman at work today who had full on Trill tattoos. I did not know anyone had done that, though of course they have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Grand Fromage posted:

I saw a woman at work today who had full on Trill tattoos. I did not know anyone had done that, though of course they have.

Something I'm curious about with the Trill, do they form a single mind with the host's like a mind-meld, so the host experiences what they do, or do they just pilot the body like a mech/puppet?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm catching up from a large number of pages ago, but the thread title is definitely about Bareil, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beachcomber posted:

I'm catching up from a large number of pages ago, but the thread title is definitely about Bareil, right?
Yup

My wife and I just rewatched Encounter at Farpoint and it's as dull as I always remembered

That really quick McCoy/Data scene is so awkward and for some reason DeForrest Kelley is leaning really hard on the southern accent which I don't remember him ever doing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'm curious about with the Trill, do they form a single mind with the host's like a mind-meld, so the host experiences what they do, or do they just pilot the body like a mech/puppet?

In their TNG appearance it's the latter, but in DS9 it definitely seems to have been retconned to be the former.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Did you ask her if the spots go all the way down?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

How about asking to play a game of count-the-spots? (That was mentioned in an episode, I think. And it was quite suggestive.)

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup

My wife and I just rewatched Encounter at Farpoint and it's as dull as I always remembered

That really quick McCoy/Data scene is so awkward and for some reason DeForrest Kelley is leaning really hard on the southern accent which I don't remember him ever doing

There's like one scene in the episode where the flowers get everyone (including spock) super high where he puts on a something or other accent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

dudeness posted:

There's like one scene in the episode where the flowers get everyone (including spock) super high where he puts on a something or other accent.

Is it a 1960s Rockabilly accent?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup

What the heck that's the only good scene, it's even a bit touching

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ensign Ro owns btw. also I like that in this episode with the memory wipe, they have no idea who the captain is, but Worf points out that both picard and himself have decorations that could imply leadership and have no idea which would be the actual leader - and instead of fighting over it, Worf is just acting as captain for the time being cause "Why not, we need someone leading the recon and we all know gently caress all so it's not like Picard is more qualified right now as far as everyone knows"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

(turning away from the TV news showing children in cages, forcibly separated from their parents by an authoritan government) What's that about Sanctuary Districts?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Ronald D Moore loving loves killing fictional people, but has no idea how to portray others' reactions to it. Everyone's got their kinks, I guess.

Yea I guess I learned that when I watched the DS9 documentary, it's like he doesn't understand how a character's death would make other people react.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

But then we wouldn't have gotten Winn, who was a key antagonist. Were they going to have Opaka turn into a selfish, power-hungry conniving little poo poo?

No, they hadn't planned. It's all total and utter happenstance.
Like I know people love to compare B5 to DS9 but they're really very different beasts, DS9 actually being good feels like an accident more than anything else.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Taear posted:

Yea I guess I learned that when I watched the DS9 documentary, it's like he doesn't understand how a character's death would make other people react.

No, they hadn't planned. It's all total and utter happenstance.
Like I know people love to compare B5 to DS9 but they're really very different beasts, DS9 actually being good feels like an accident more than anything else.

Television was good before the Soprano’s and the Golden Age of TV. Episodic tv is good. There was no 11-season plan for MASH or Cheers. You don’t need to script everything out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, the Outcast is a, likely accidentally, very interesting trans metaphor, given the nature of the "throwbacks" to when the species had gender (having to hide themselves and feel uncomfortable with their gender expression, with the difference that they are eventually accepted after physical alterations)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Ensign Ro owns btw. also I like that in this episode with the memory wipe, they have no idea who the captain is, but Worf points out that both picard and himself have decorations that could imply leadership and have no idea which would be the actual leader - and instead of fighting over it, Worf is just acting as captain for the time being cause "Why not, we need someone leading the recon and we all know gently caress all so it's not like Picard is more qualified right now as far as everyone knows"

I also a cool little character moment when Worf apologizes when they find out he is not the Captain and Picard is like, don't worry about it. Worf because its the honorable thing to say/do and Picard because Worf reached a reasonable conclusion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup

There’s an occasional implication that McCoy works to suppress his native accent. This is not at all uncommon today among southerners — especially in a professional or academic setting, speaking with a strong southern accent is a good way to unconsciously make people think of you as an uneducated yokel. When he’s drugged up or really pissed off though, it occasionally comes through. (Probably he should have done this when he freaks out in City on the Edge but oh well). In Farpoint he’s 150 and doesn’t care about what anyone thinks anymore, so he goes full drawl.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I never heard that before, but Scotty being in just 1 season of DS9 (say 5) would have been great. Watching him adapt to the future, being appalled by the war, that's good stuff. Would have had some great character moments. I'm basing this on Relics being an amazing episode

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Alan_Shore posted:

I never heard that before, but Scotty being in just 1 season of DS9 (say 5) would have been great. Watching him adapt to the future, being appalled by the war, that's good stuff. Would have had some great character moments. I'm basing this on Relics being an amazing episode

gently caress, now I'm imagining him in the Tribble episode or the one with all three TOS Klingons.

Does anyone have a wireless router that can connect to other parts of the multiverse?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah but then what happens to O'Brien?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, the Outcast is a, likely accidentally, very interesting trans metaphor, given the nature of the "throwbacks" to when the species had gender (having to hide themselves and feel uncomfortable with their gender expression, with the difference that they are eventually accepted after physical alterations)

Yeah, they meant it to be a gay thing, but they accidentally created a trans thing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

As I was desperately trying to herd my kid away from Charles Martinet today, I bent down to tell him it was someone else's turn to talk to him. My kid jumped at the exact same time bonking our heads together.

Denise Crosby was at the table closest to us right then and started laughing, saying "Well you're just a comedy of errors!"

I just said "Hi Miss Crosby, thankyou miss Crosby", as I sheepishly backed away.

Which con were you at? We were at Shore Leave yesterday, and I got Nichelle Nichols' autograph for my mother. :kimchi:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah but then what happens to O'Brien?

Everything, same as always. :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A little makeup thing I like is that when the Bajoran's aren't wearing their earrings, you can see the row of dots where the ears are pierced. They didn't need to do that, as no one would have noticed if they were missing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After The War posted:

Which con were you at? We were at Shore Leave yesterday, and I got Nichelle Nichols' autograph for my mother. :kimchi:

Alabama Comicon

I never got to formally visit her unfortunately, had to take my kid to burn off some energy and each of the times I was back around there she was on break

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

A little makeup thing I like is that when the Bajoran's aren't wearing their earrings, you can see the row of dots where the ears are pierced. They didn't need to do that, as no one would have noticed if they were missing.

Trek fans would have noticed

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BioEnchanted posted:

Dio Brando: A Secret Bajoran?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Trevor Hale posted:

Television was good before the Soprano’s and the Golden Age of TV. Episodic tv is good. There was no 11-season plan for MASH or Cheers. You don’t need to script everything out.

There's a difference between the episodic sort-of-comedy of MASH and Cheers or other middle of the road American stuff and the sort of plotting you expect in something like DS9.
That's such a bananas comparison.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Taear posted:

When you read Memory Alpha it always surprises me how little the writers seem to care about their characters or any sort of internal consistency.
Like yea, why would Klingons invent cloaking devices? The answer is that they were a totally different race in TOS and it made a ton more sense for them then and what we know as Klingons aren't the same as TOS even a tiny bit. Which is kind of a shame.

The Klingons didn't have cloaking devices in TOS, although the common assumption back when was that they got the technology as part of the trade that saw Romulans flying Klingon ships.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FuturePastNow posted:

tarlibone posted:

How about asking to play a game of count-the-spots? (That was mentioned in an episode, I think. And it was quite suggestive.)

Man I don't think either of those are remotely appropriate questions to ask at work, and even at like a bar that would be pretty aggressive.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Quicksilver6 posted:

I haven't done an exhaustive bodycount (especially for BSG) but I can't help but feel like he disproportionately kills off women characters.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Man I don't think either of those are remotely appropriate questions to ask at work, and even at like a bar that would be pretty aggressive.

If you get yourself a transparent skull, it'll be fine!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I may have just realised - is the guy who plays Lwxana Troi's assistant the same guy that played Lurch in the Addam's Family movies?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I may have just realised - is the guy who plays Lwxana Troi's assistant the same guy that played Lurch in the Addam's Family movies?

Also the giant in Twin Peaks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Also the giant in Twin Peaks!

And an alien in MiB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Bloop posted:

And an alien in MiB

I think I remember, he was the Arquillian in the restaurant who was talking to the one who screwed up the belt/collar translation. Is that him? Also Worf in the mudbath is adorable "So we just have to sit here :reject:"