Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Cingulate posted:

Lol @ Randlr and Babies threatening to punch me ITT
Nobody has said this. Stop it with your victim posture.

I mean, unless you would willingly label yourself a nazi.

quote:

If you go the utilitarian route, you should ask if "nazi" "punching" increases or decreases Nazi activity. And not even most "nazi" "punchers" ITT claim it does, hm? It just "feels good". And "it feels good to cause suffering" is not the motivation I want to see behind any political wing I might sign up for.
Nobody except you has made this argument.

quote:

This is why this is such a hill worth dying over for me: I think there needs to be a group whose primary direct motivation is to decrease the suffering in the world
If you want to be part of that group, stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

i wish the cherry tree in your backyard was any good but it mainly makes cherry that less than a centimeter in diameter and i have no idea what the gently caress
Probably wild cherries, which can be cool and used for all sort of stuff, but obviously have much less fruit flesh.

If you knew what you do, you could propf another cherry sort onto it, but that’s more for early spring I think.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Cingulate posted:

I didn't ask you if Andy Ngo is a cool dude (perhaps?) I should follow (god no!), a trusted news source (nope), or if he has dumb friends (definitely). I asked if you literally believe he is an actual Nazi. Do you? I honestly cannot fathom how an intelligent person might even entertain that notion, so I'm trying to establish some very basic grounds first. Not trying to call you dumb, I just cannot understand how anyone might reason themselves into that belief.
ok i can't deal with this level of disingenuity welcome to my ignore list

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pidan posted:

Making your own Radieschen is seriously too easy, you just buy Radieschen seeds and put them in some dirt, and some weeks later Radieschen come out. It is pretty much as easy as making Kresse, I can recommend it to anyone who likes Radieschen and feeling like a master gardener.

also radieschen are considerably more tasty than kresse :D

Mano posted:

Probably wild cherries, which can be cool and used for all sort of stuff, but obviously have much less fruit flesh.

If you knew what you do, you could propf another cherry sort onto it, but that’s more for early spring I think.

that's an interesting thought. i could bring a branch from my parents' tree?

also the cherry tree we have here is gigantic (banana for scale)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
This thread is now about Mithaldu posting more pictures of this dog.

Mithaldu post the doggo

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

he is only in the house sometimes, and he is the softest and nicest doggo who knows only 3 modes of being: sleeping, eating grass, peeing

he never barks and at most snuffles at you

https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1052346211875921921

i should collate my doggo pictures into a gallery sometime

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Shiba Inus are some of the most perfect doggos on Earth, change my mind.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

he is the lesser known type of that that is called akita inu

looks mostly the same, but is bigger, even more relaxed than shibas, and was bred to hunt bears and boars and deer

he also sheds about thrice his weight in fur daily during the winter ... i had just vaccuumed that carpet

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

seriously look at this mess

he also loves to pretend he's a croissant

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ok, i give up, where’s the banana?

E: cute doggo, didn’t know they were hunting dogs!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zwille posted:

Ok, i give up, where’s the banana?
it's the dog :3:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Okay, I decree Akitas are just as good as Shibes. :3: Shame about all that shedding though. The joys of a long hair dog, eh.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Mithaldu posted:

seriously look at this mess

he also loves to pretend he's a croissant

Thank you I’m looking at it and declare it to be an excellent dog.

Please pet right now and report back with results.

:same:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

it's the dog :3:

Okay i figure that counts. Meh.

:3:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Please pet right now and report back with results.

inscrutable from the front, but the tail gives it away :haw:

seriously he is the most lazy, often he won't even rotate his eyeballs towards you, while wagging furiously

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Mithaldu posted:

seriously he is the most lazy, often he won't even rotate his eyeballs towards you, while wagging furiously

:kimchi:

What a good dog

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mithaldu posted:

:shobon:
That's one hell of an excellent dog

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mithaldu posted:

- finding jobs loving sucks and it's never an indictment of the person. companies demand fully trained senior devs for junior pay. try and find companies that actually train devs. and yeah, moving is often involved. i recommend biting the bullet there for at least a few years. (fun fact: imo this also contributes largely to why so many computer nerds are lonely people. it's not easy to build a new friend base after moving, particularly if you haven't been social before)
- also, study the market for open positions and maybe try and focus on learning things with MANY open positions. has drawbacks, but well.
- coding is an art. and like any artist it is useful to have a portfolio. (mine is literally just my github account as well as my cpan account, both of which have passively resulted in job offers)
- impostor syndrome. read up about it, tell all your students about it. every loving developer ever has it hard, unless they're the kind of insane "i never make mistakes" types. that's what spunky turkish girl suffers from, as well as the harry potter one, though she probably has a church-induced inferiority complex too
- coding is a community sport. even if you only work on solo projects, figure out where your community congregates online in chat rooms and figure out a way to be in them 24/7 (irc bouncer, discord, slack, whatever) and check once a day to see if interesting chat happens or people need help. getting people used to seeing your name helps with the job offers.
- read at least one book, BUT: find the community and ask them for books, and listen not to the endorsements, but the criticisms. usually the ones recommended are so because they're old, and have a good chance of being poo poo.

How do I find a good job if I don't want to code outside of work though?
Coding is fun enough, but I don't love it nearly enough to hang out in IRC rooms or contribute to open source projects.
I don't want to do the same thing at home that I do at work anyway, and sitting in front of a pc 18 hours a day isn't my idea of fun.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Eezee posted:

Coding is fun enough, but I don't love it nearly enough to hang out in IRC rooms or contribute to open source projects.
I don't want to do the same thing at home that I do at work anyway, and sitting in front of a pc 18 hours a day isn't my idea of fun.

If you're ok with an ok job you can do like me and only very rarely code at home when you're actively trying to learn something. The story that you constantly have to have a stellar github history is wrong, you just have to be reasonably good at coding, right now companies are desperately looking for you.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

i have an easy answer to that but I'll need to rewrite your question a little

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pidan posted:

The story that you constantly have to have a stellar github history is wrong
I don't know if you're referring to what i wrote (which didn't mean that), but in any case, yeah.

What you need is some kind of portfolio (unless you can point to a masters or phd or whatever). And a portfolio is just SOMETHING that contains work you can point at that you've done that people can look at. Doesn't need to be a lot, just some sort of proof you're for real. Github is just an example, and even if you use github you don't need a perfect record. (Seriously, look at mine that i linked, it's far from that.)

This depends 100% on what kind of tools you learn and what kind of coder you want to be.

Option 1: As i said, look at at the job market and learn the stuff that has MANY open positions. My memory says Java/PHP last time i looked. Those are evergreens with a HUGE market and people searching employees with extremely low expectations. Pay will be fairly low too, but particularly in berlin you can just walk over to the office next door and get a new job if required. Everyone in that market being interchangable cogs results in nobody expect you to do anything but 9-5.

Option 2: As i said, coding is an art. Think about your question if asked like this:

Eezee posted:

How do I find a good job if I don't want to draw outside of work though?
Drawing is fun enough, but I don't love it nearly enough to hang out on Deviantart or post my sketches and drawing techniques to twitter.
I don't want to do the same thing at home that I do at work anyway, and sitting in front of a sheet of paper 18 hours a day isn't my idea of fun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Eezee posted:

Yeah, that was the most annoying part of interviews, the unavoidable "so what other sort of coding are you doing in your free time?". Though I got lucky enough that "motherfucker I'm doing this poo poo 8 hours a day I'm gonna be hosed if I do this in my free time as well" (rephrased just slightly for the interview :v:) was enough to land me the job regardless.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

I don't know if you're referring to what i wrote (which didn't mean that), but in any case, yeah.

What you need is some kind of portfolio (unless you can point to a masters or phd or whatever). And a portfolio is just SOMETHING that contains work you can point at that you've done that people can look at. Doesn't need to be a lot, just some sort of proof you're for real. Github is just an example, and even if you use github you don't need a perfect record. (Seriously, look at mine that i linked, it's far from that.)
This depends 100% on what kind of tools you learn and what kind of coder you want to be.

Will have a Masters in computer science with decent grades (1.3-1.5 depending on my thesis) from Aachen at the end of the year, hopefully that will be enough combined with some Studentenjob Java coding experience.
I'm mostly worried since I'm pretty old. I only started studying CS when I was 24, and now even with Regelstudienzeit I'm 29 so I got to compete with people who are 5 years younger.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Right, then the question becomes how low of a salary you're willing to accept. If you know java and have a degree and are willing to wear a "will code for food" sign then you're almost guaranteed to find something.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Could someone please shoot Djokovic in the kneecaps thx

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

why are you upset about a ... checks notes, tennis player?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Apparently there is a Wimbledon today.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I take it Wengy had some money riding on it. :laugh:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I didn't watch, but IMO it's ok to post about tennis in here because the tennis watchers of SAS have brain damage to a degree that is off the scale even by goon standards (it might be on the scale by tennis watcher standards though)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

No money involved, just emotional investment in the GOAT - who probably won’t remain the GOAT for much longer because one (or both) of Nadal and Djokovic is sure to overtake him now, rendering him a sad footnote in Tennis history :(

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Smirr posted:

I didn't watch, but IMO it's ok to post about tennis in here because the tennis watchers of SAS have brain damage to a degree that is off the scale even by goon standards (it might be on the scale by tennis watcher standards though)

I also sometimes post in the SAS Tennis threads and can confirm that my brain is just as broken as theirs!!!!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gotta hand it to you, that's a very cool dog. I wish I was half as cool as that dog

Cingulate posted:

Mostly outside of my domain of expertise. Two tidbits:
- some people are a LOT better at mental visualisation than others. Some, in fact, cannot do it at all - they have no ability to conjure up mental images. There seems to be a hard limit on how much you can change that. Maybe taking a lot of LSD might help.
- Different ways of learning are a famous "neuromyth". That is, even as ~90% of teachers believe some learners learn better with visual, some with verbal or haptic input, there is no evidence behind this idea. See e.g. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1539-6053.2009.01038.x

I hope that's somewhat relevant.

Thanks! I will follow your advice and try experimenting with some LSD!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Eezee posted:

Will have a Masters in computer science with decent grades (1.3-1.5 depending on my thesis) from Aachen at the end of the year, hopefully that will be enough combined with some Studentenjob Java coding experience.
I'm mostly worried since I'm pretty old. I only started studying CS when I was 24, and now even with Regelstudienzeit I'm 29 so I got to compete with people who are 5 years younger.

If you have a good masters you don't need to just look at jobs that are basic java coding type gigs. You could also go in a slightly different direction like the data analysis stuff that has been talked about or also other database applications. What's your thesis project about? Does that stuff interest you? Or if you're not afraid to get into embedded stuff there are tons of jobs in automotive.

And nobody gives a poo poo about your age. If a) you make clear that you're keen to learn stuff as you go and b) have some problem solving and critical thinking skills then you're golden in most places.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Gotta agree that you definitely shouldn't shy away from anything that looks slightly related. My aim was mostly for "getting a job at all".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I myself come from a Java background, but ended up sliding into a JavaScript position anyway despite fairly minimal experience in that (for normal people: These are actually fairly different despite the names). And having a degree definitely seemed to help bypass a fair bit of the usual "checks". Might just be sampling error, but so far I never ran into the sort of pop quizzes or outright tests during applications that I've seen other people in the industry talk about.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

You don't have to tell them your age before they hire you

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

elbkaida posted:

If you have a good masters you don't need to just look at jobs that are basic java coding type gigs. You could also go in a slightly different direction like the data analysis stuff that has been talked about or also other database applications. What's your thesis project about? Does that stuff interest you? Or if you're not afraid to get into embedded stuff there are tons of jobs in automotive.

And nobody gives a poo poo about your age. If a) you make clear that you're keen to learn stuff as you go and b) have some problem solving and critical thinking skills then you're golden in most places.

Master thesis is about Model-Driven engineering for IoT devices with something automotive related as a use case.
Programming is fine, but honestly I'd rather talk about how to do something than actually implement it.
Data Science lectures were always pretty fun and if I was younger I'd seriously consider doing a PhD in Process Mining. The cool jobs in that field seem to mostly be locked behind a doctorate unfortunately.

pidan posted:

You don't have to tell them your age before they hire you

I'd imagine they want my Lebenslauf beforehand.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Eezee posted:

Programming is fine, but honestly I'd rather talk about how to do something than actually implement it.

So architecting? Bigger companies will have positions for that but don't think a grad can get there, so you'd have to get a few years experience first. There's also going to be teams who analyse performance, development processes etc but I have not enough idea about software development to know what these are called :v:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

that's an interesting thought. i could bring a branch from my parents' tree?

also the cherry tree we have here is gigantic (banana for scale)

That looks like a good banana (unlike nearly all else bananas).
Those look like Weichselkirschen and a loving huge tree of it. Weichselkirschen stay from the color like that, slightly translucent, maybe a bit fuller of that red, but not darkred/violet/nearly black like most other Kirschen. I think Weichsel in general are a bit later than other varieties. They’re also a bit more sour.

If you get more rain and sun the kirschen could get to a good size still.

I only remember this from my father when I was young:
- you need to cut back the tree (in think in fall andor spring). This should generally push the tree into more fruits and bigger fruits since it doesn’t need all the energy for growing.
- for propfing you need a new cut on the tree, some Baumwachs I think it’s called (green, slightly sticky) and some twine. You then bind & stick the newly cut twig from the other tree to that. I think in spring?
Since you have no clue and I don’t either, go to some Gartencenter or Gärtner or Landwirt or whatever and ask them! Better let them do it and watch.
The tree is certainly big enough that you need a profi to cut it down anyway.

I would go now and ask around so you know if you need to do stuff in fall or spring and when exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Still so pissed about Wimbledon I can hardly function