Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The setting would be exactly the same if you just removed basically any of the aliens except regular eldar.
I've only played a little bit of a handful of the various 40k games, but orks seem way more integral than the eldar. I don't even know what the eldar are, but orks are hilarious. The whole idea that the entire species is kind if psychic and their technology is complete bullshit but it works because they believe in it is genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

40k is not and never has been about the Imperium vs Chaos. It has always been about the Imperium vs everything. The entire idea is that mankind has taken to the stars, settled the galaxy, and it's a loving nightmare because there's a whole bunch of things that are inimical to our existence. We are beset on all sides, and the only way humanity can survive is to become a nightmare authoritarian theocracy that is itself the cause of many of humanity's problems.

You can't cut away the Xenos races because that turns it into just a straight up Imperium vs Chaos war. Which it never has been, and is way more boring.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
There's nothing wrong with having the space marines and Sisters of Battle as gender-specific units, but they should include trans men and trans women.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Because everything about Warhammer 40,000 is exaggerated to the extreme. It's a setting in which the only thing better than a machine gun with a flamethrower is a machine gun with a flamethrower and a chainsaw. Everything has the vibe of being designed by a committee of 8-year-old boys. It knows exactly how ridiculous it is an revels in it.

The real question is why aren't they even bigger and covered in even more skulls? And on fire?

Hmm, yes. About that.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Legion_of_the_Damned

Tiggum posted:

I've only played a little bit of a handful of the various 40k games, but orks seem way more integral than the eldar. I don't even know what the eldar are, but orks are hilarious. The whole idea that the entire species is kind if psychic and their technology is complete bullshit but it works because they believe in it is genius.

The Eldar are basically degenerate space elves. They used to be pretty radical like 100,000 years ago but they built too many machines that made life too easy. Their absurd hedonism caused them to collectively give birth to a new loving chaos god. Slaanesh is the end result of that. It wiped out over 99% of their species overnight and now they're barely holding on to existence. That's how much the 40K universe is terrible and just despises everything that exists. Oh, hey, you space elves are having so much fun. Too much fun. Hmm...we'll have to put a stop to that. Forever.

But yeah everybody loves the Orks. They're pretty great. They're especially fun if you just want to roll like a thousand dice on every one of your turns. They got nicknamed "The Green Tide" because they have so many units that you can just dump a thousand of on the table.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jul 13, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't "Get" space marines. why is their armor that big

StarCraft: Because Terrans still live under capitalism and the bulkier armor is significantly cheaper and mostly effective against the heavier, "blunter" impacts they're likely to encounter in their service, while Ghosts and similar operatives get the much more expensive/sleek/bespoke armor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

No, I said even bigger. More skulls. Literally on fire.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you want a flaming skull just go rob my grave when I decompose.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

No, I said even bigger. More skulls. Literally on fire.

The Legion of the Damned are literally on fire. That's like...their thing. When they fight they burst into flames.

They may very well also be the most metal thing to ever exist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Legion of the Damned are literally on fire. That's like...their thing. When they fight they burst into flames.

They may very well also be the most metal thing to ever exist.

OK, I guess that's pretty cool. But I still think there should be more skulls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

There's nothing wrong with having the space marines and Sisters of Battle as gender-specific units, but they should include trans men and trans women.

They could have trans women Sisters of Battle easily, you wouldn't need to alter the canon at all. Not trans men though, since the in-universe justification for them is that the Ecclesiarchy is specifically banned from men under arms.

Allegedly, the Fabius Bile novel series was originally going to establish that Bile had figured out how to make the Space Marineification process work on women, thus allowing for female Chaos Space Marines. But at some point the editor forced the writer to change it, so the female Emperor's Children commander in the books is very specifically explained to have gotten her strength and stature as a gift from Slaanesh

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The Sisters of Battle was basically rules lawyering. It was specifically written that they were forbidden from having "men under arms" because people were worried about the Ecclesiarchy becoming militant and taking over. So the guy in charge went "arm a bunch of women to the teeth, use them instead. Got it." Then the Sisters turned out to be incredibly badass, fanatical warriors that liked fire so they got to stay.

It was obvious what the rule meant but the end result was of course the Sisters and they're pretty rad.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jul 13, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Venus is a more interesting planet than Mars is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

Venus is a more interesting planet than Mars is.

Seriously, the only planet less interesting than Mars is probably Mercury. Getting people there (and hopefully back) is a huge challenge, sure, but it's not a very interesting one when you compare it to what it would take to do the same thing on the hellscape that Venus is. If I were an alien trying to evade human detection, I wouldn't live on the barren rock, i'd pick the 900 degree acid rain place nobody wants to go to. Nobody has even sent a lander there in like 34 years and as far as I know none are planned for the near future. Why not? Surely the pictures we could get would be more interesting than more red rocks and dust. Like yellow rocks, for example.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Seriously, the only planet less interesting than Mars is probably Mercury. Getting people there (and hopefully back) is a huge challenge, sure, but it's not a very interesting one when you compare it to what it would take to do the same thing on the hellscape that Venus is. If I were an alien trying to evade human detection, I wouldn't live on the barren rock, i'd pick the 900 degree acid rain place nobody wants to go to. Nobody has even sent a lander there in like 34 years and as far as I know none are planned for the near future. Why not? Surely the pictures we could get would be more interesting than more red rocks and dust. Like yellow rocks, for example.

too hot. No thank you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

i've heard it's a dry heat

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine why no one's interested in sending probes to the planet we couldn't hope to survive a moment on even if we could get there. :iiam:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

I can't imagine why no one's interested in sending probes to the planet we couldn't hope to survive a moment on even if we could get there. :iiam:

Colonization is a dumb idea and won't work except the moon maybe. But on Venus you can study runaway greenhouse effects and other stuff that's actually somewhat relevant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Human survival is one of the least compelling reasons to explore space. Why can't we just do something that makes people say "cool" with our robots? Should we not study neutron stars either because we can't live on one?

Besides, Venusian cloud cities are a lot more interesting of an idea that's never going to happen than living in some boring dome on red dust world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The sea is more interesting than space. Also I’d rather live in an undersea dome than a Martian dome OR a Venusian sky city

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Studying space for the purpose of sending people to live there is an American rear end idea.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The sea is more interesting than space. Also I’d rather live in an undersea dome than a Martian dome OR a Venusian sky city

I can respect that. At least you're guaranteed to see some really weird poo poo down there.

but the main point is research of any new environment shouldn't have a main focus of "how can we put people there and ruin that place too". Even if there is nothing at all living there, it's still immoral to inflict ourselves upon it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ever heard of a game called bioshock?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was a show about that. SeaQuest 2032 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106126/. Honestly it was pretty lame. :tipshat:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Living in a deep sea dome on earth is cool, but living on a deep sea dome on another planet is much cooler. Stargate Atlantis is evidence of this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

They could have trans women Sisters of Battle easily, you wouldn't need to alter the canon at all. Not trans men though, since the in-universe justification for them is that the Ecclesiarchy is specifically banned from men under arms.

Allegedly, the Fabius Bile novel series was originally going to establish that Bile had figured out how to make the Space Marineification process work on women, thus allowing for female Chaos Space Marines. But at some point the editor forced the writer to change it, so the female Emperor's Children commander in the books is very specifically explained to have gotten her strength and stature as a gift from Slaanesh

I meant trans men space marines.

And I never said the wider Imperium had to approve of either.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pizzahut needs to stop loving with stuffed crust. They got it right the first time. I don't care if you put it in "cups", or "cheesey bites" or however the gently caress they keep tricking you into getting less cheese+crust. Just do it the normal way, it's good. Also what you actually get never looks even close to the ads, but regular stuffed crust does.

Take a cue from european frozen pizza and put some other poo poo in there instead of cheese too, like hotdogs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Cheesy bites still send me into a frothing rage every time I see them, it's literally just stuffed crust except a hundred times more annoying to make and also basically guaranteed to burn to poo poo unless you reach your hand into the oven to pull it out because the crust is pulled so thin.

The only thing I liked about pizza hut was when they """promoted me""" to a manager with no pay raise or actual title change so I could work the morning shift alone, and I always gave my friends and myself free poo poo because it was the only thing stopping me from shoving my head into the deep fryer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

since you worked there can you please tell me how they get away with the highway robbery they charge for the wingstreet stuff

I mean seriously, you get stringy rear end dry as sand wings and it costs like $1.25 per wing. Their "burning hot" sauce is trash too, it's sticky sweet garbage.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As best I can tell they soak the wings in their mediocre sauces so hard that it hides the taste of the dumpster quality chicken, but since they've been frozen for months before getting to the store, the sauce cant penetrate the wing.

I legit thought I hated buffalo sauce for years because I thought that was just what buffalo sauce tasted like. Pizza Hut is Hell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tennis is boring. I'd rather see the main "hitting a ball back and forth" sport be racketball. It adds some excitement being on the same side as your opponent, you don't have a net separating you to keep you safe. Intramural racketball was how I first got my nose broken and it was exhilarating.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Since 40K came up another fun little bit of lore about the Orks. They're actually genetically hardwired to understand certain mechanical concepts. Mekboys are genetically hardwired to understand more of it at an instinctual level. This is part of why they're technology is such a loving mess but also why Orks can make functional machines out of little more than random scrap metal. They don't need to be taught how to make guns. They just loving know how. They're literally born with the knowledge of how to make and operate simple machines. The Meks get more complex stuff and know enough to figure out stuff like force fields. Orks of course have terrible attention spans so it's very possible that the Mek who built a thing will forget how it works before he's even done making it. There's a bunch of really hilarious lore about Imperium scientists trying to figure out just what the gently caress is going on with Orks and just having no god damned idea. One of the snags is that if a bunch of Orks build a vehicle it will be a ramshackle mess of systems apparently glued together at random. However it will not only make mechanical sense but because of Ork psykic belief function better than it has any right to. Part of why Ork stuff doesn't work in the hands of anything other than an Ork is that lack of belief but also because chances are the only person who actually understands the drat thing properly is the Ork that built it. Even then said Ork might forget how he built the thing and it's highly likely that if it has problems or just doesn't go fast enough then some other Mek will do some other crap to it that just makes it even more of a mess. Then whenever it inevitably breaks down whichever Ork with the right skills just welds it back together in whatever way gets it working again the fastest. There's no consistency to their designs at all because they just do everything on the fly and slap together whatever crazy thing gets them to the fight the fastest.

This is incidentally also why they paint their vehicles red. Because they believe da red wunz go fastah they literally go faster if you paint it red and then have an Ork drive it.

The WH40K fluff is just completely stupid and insane but that's what makes it fun.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Orks are actually a species of mushroom? Confirm/deny.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Orks are actually a species of mushroom? Confirm/deny.

They're basically a sentient fungus, yes. I think it's changed over the editions but they've never had gender; they reproduce asexually via spores and have a symbiotic relationship with an algae that makes them green but also replaces the functions of several vital organs that other races have. This is also why Orks have incredible toughness, good regenerative ability, and can literally be glued and stapled back together if they get chopped up. While they give off some spores when they're alive they give off the biggest puff when they die unless you burn the bodies.

They're basically a bioweapon created by a race that were probably wiped out by the Necrons a few hundred thousand years in the past. They're also the most successful species in the setting. There are more of them than everybody else combined and they seem to just be absolutely everywhere. Ork-controlled space is actually bigger than the Imperium. If they ever unified they'd just utterly steamroll everything else. Thankfully for the rest of the galaxy Orks fight each other just as much as they fight everybody else.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Jul 14, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tyranids are the most successful species in the setting. They already ate at least one galaxy, and the hive fleets the Imperium has encountered are just scouts investigating a psychic flare from ten thousand years earlier. When the actual main body shows up it'll eat everything

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All of the warhammer 40k baddie races have "and they will inevitably win" in their story so you can stan for whichever one you want as the real bestest.

Fantasy/Sigmar is better because the good guys have a chance.

E: also this is why chaos is interesting as a villain- their strength is inherently tied to the traits we like in races like humans and elves which is why they can never be beaten, instead of just being one of several interchangeable overwhelming hordes. Orks are second-best because they remember that they're supposed to be in a satirical setting.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Jul 14, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All of the warhammer 40k baddie races have "and they will inevitably win" in their story so you can stan for whichever one you want as the real bestest.

Fantasy/Sigmar is better because the good guys have a chance.

E: also this is why chaos is interesting as a villain- their strength is inherently tied to the traits we like in races like humans and elves which is why they can never be beaten, instead of just being one of several interchangeable overwhelming hordes. Orks are second-best because they remember that they're supposed to be in a satirical setting.

40K's thing is that there are no good guys. The Tau originally were but people decided that it didn't really fit the setting because, well, it doesn't. Everything is awful in the 40K universe.

Not all of them have "will inevitably win" built in. The Eldar have already lost so the Dark Eldar have as well by extension. They're both in horrible decline and desperately clinging to the last dregs of survival as everything goes to poo poo around them. The Dark Eldar actually became my favorite when they finally came out.

In the case of Chaos they're weirdly paradoxical; they're called The Ruinous Powers because they want to burn down or corrupt everything they touch but if they kill too much psychic poo poo they get weakened. If they successfully exterminated everything in the galaxy they'd wink out of existence. They're basically a reflection of all the worst traits of the psychic races as well as an amalgamation of their deepest, primal feelings. Given that everything is terrible the Warp has been reflecting that by becoming a horrible place. If everybody could stop loving shooting and just get along the Chaos powers would be less, well, Chaos. Instead everybody is fighting, everybody hates everybody else, and the Warp is reflecting that.

If anybody is "winning" it's the Orks because they just fight constantly anyway so if everybody else is doing it too hey great more things to fight! They're basically a fire elemental living in a building that is constantly on fire forever anyway.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Jul 14, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Eldar have a shot if they can get Ynnead up and running in time

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
IDK anything about Warhammer 40k, but from reading this discussion I have developed a new Unpopular Opinion - all of this lore seems like something edgy teens would come up with. I hope it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

IDK anything about Warhammer 40k, but from reading this discussion I have developed a new Unpopular Opinion - all of this lore seems like something edgy teens would come up with. I hope it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

It's basically turning "everything is awful" up to 11, breaking off the knob, and then declaring "no that still isn't ridiculous enough." It isn't really supposed to be taken all that seriously as there's a certain level of satire to it. Other things are very clearly just the most insane thing somebody could come up with put in front of somebody else with instructions of "make this crazier."

The "particular kind of story" I'm talking about is stuff like the Gaunt's Ghosts books. The short of those is that the Tanith First and Only are the last survivors of a dead world that Chaos blew up. They should all be dead but instead of dying they kick death right in his bony rear end junk and survive against all odds anyway. To me that sort of thing is what makes the setting interesting; everything is awful but humanity just refuses to lie down and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

When people talk about Chaos, this dude is Chaos