Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1150135179886956544

Passionate Pokemon Fans Identity Thieves copy paste animation data from other games onto Pokemon models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The hell is this level progression in Crystal? Around Cinnabar Island the trainers have Pokemon 5-10 levels below the wild Pokemon in the water...

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Gen 2's exp distribution is one of the main reasons that kept me from enjoying Crystal and SS.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I learned around the 4th gym that trying to level a full party was a bad idea. I limited myself to 4 Pokemon(with last 2 in my party being HM slaves) and it's been mostly fine since then. Needed a ton of revives for the Elite 4 though since my Pokemon were around 42 at the start. Haven't fought Blue yet but my party should be roughly the same level as his. Then it's the long grind to Red...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RatHat posted:

The hell is this level progression in Crystal? Around Cinnabar Island the trainers have Pokemon 5-10 levels below the wild Pokemon in the water...

Welcome to Johto’s postgame. It’s a whole new world of poorly thought out ideas and terrible grinding.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
why is route 1 so short in xy, and why isn't the players hometown just Aquacorde

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My three favorite Pokemon are the triple M: Mawile, Maractus, and Mareanie. They all have the sort of ugly cute that I have a thing for. Anyway, when they said the dex would be halved, I imagined most if not all of those would be left behind, so it's honestly been surprising to have seen them present in the different trailers released on the last few days.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1150057639142809601
wow, these new graphics look great actually, look at torterra

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

My three favorite Pokemon are the triple M: Mawile, Maractus, and Mareanie. They all have the sort of ugly cute that I have a thing for. Anyway, when they said the dex would be halved, I imagined most if not all of those would be left behind, so it's honestly been surprising to have seen them present in the different trailers released on the last few days.

Wait they're cutting Pokemon for space so they can include only the best of the best and the ones most suited to a Galarian climate and they chose to include Maractus?????

:psyduck:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dehry posted:

Passionate Pokemon Fans Identity Thieves copy paste animation data from other games onto Pokemon models.

Wow's sfucked up they found a way to port and update the models and animations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

and they chose to include Maractus?????

And thank Arceus for that! Amen

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wait they're cutting Pokemon for space so they can include only the best of the best and the ones most suited to a Galarian climate and they chose to include Maractus?????

:psyduck:

the wild area is wild

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Geostomp posted:

Why else would the special gimmick be called “Z-moves” or Zygarde get its form gimmick in a set of games with nothing to do with its supposed trio partners. There’s also all the mysteriously incomplete areas of Kalos that never get used. That and the weak story of the Kalos games never getting much resolved.

If I recall, the "Z" in "Z-move" actually refers to "Zenith" as opposed to "Zygarde". But yeah, X and Y really would have benefited from a Z version.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It stands for zoomies

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It stands for Z, the third dimension of time, otherwise known as widdershins.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Z-moves were never planned for a gen VI game like Pokémon Z; obviously they weren't going to introduce both Z-moves and Mega Evolution in the same gen. All the Zygarde stuff that made it into SM was definitely meant for Z, however.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dehry posted:

And Game Freak couldn't do this kind of thing for the actual game?

edit: Also I don't care that the mobile game only has like 40 Pokemon compared to what the new game will have

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the most blatant upcycling of kalos content was the “alolan” trio Liberté, Égalité, and Fraternité

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

And Game Freak couldn't do this kind of thing for the actual game?

edit: Also I don't care that the mobile game only has like 40 Pokemon compared to what the new game will have

To be fair the number of animations they could rip from pokken would be pretty limited, given the vast difference in size between the number of moves in a fighting game vs a jrpg. Having a few select attacks, on only a few pokemon, look really good and everything else be pokemon rpg quality wouldn't be great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

To be fair the number of animations they could rip from pokken would be pretty limited, given the vast difference in size between the number of moves in a fighting game vs a jrpg. Having a few select attacks, on only a few pokemon, look really good and everything else be pokemon rpg quality wouldn't be great

Well the company in charge of the biggest franchise in the universe should be perfectly capable of making everything look really good

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Well the company in charge of the biggest franchise in the universe should be perfectly capable of making everything look really good

Yeah, they should. Just saying that specific thing isn't really realistic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody really cares about pokemon animations that much so why would they

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
when's Pokken 2 though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bleck posted:

when's Pokken 2 though

first we're getting Seel Calibur

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

It's not noteworthy to point out its DNA is similar to Mew's if it is merely a child of the species. Since Mew cannot naturally breed, it must be assumed that Mew had been somehow impregnated artificially, with said embryo being manipulated into the vicious state. This would be a clone. Origins confirms this depending on how you interpret that in relation to the games.

Game Freak believed having Pokemon outright stated to be clones was too controversial around the GS era, which would likely have been the case in the RB era as well. An interview with a magazine confirms this. The intent is there in all but writing for Mewtwo throughout the games.

The ironic thing is that we all truly learned about cloning through the PC glitch in Gold and Silver.

Legendaries and mythicals being unable to breed is just a game thing to keep you from getting more of them. These beings need a way to propogate themselves in universe, and creatures like Mew are hardly gods. It's just a rare, powerful animal.

Obviously the case is probably different for things like the ones that are actual gods like almost every Legendary from Sinnoh, or the ones created by special means like the legendary beasts and the Regis, but something like Mew, Lugia, et all, can probably reproduce no problem.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If a side-game can have unique animations for like 40 pokemon and the 4 moves they can use in it, then why can't Game Freak simply make 65,000 unique animations for every pokemon using every attack in a full game?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gruckles posted:

If a side-game can have unique animations for like 40 pokemon and the 4 moves they can use in it, then why can't Game Freak simply make 65,000 unique animations for every pokemon using every attack in a full game?

:rolleyes:

You don't have to have unique animations for every single move, but they can still make the animations look better than they do, especially for their first major console mainline game. I don't think it's crazy to expect better from Pokemon :shrug:

And like it's not like I'm not gonna get the game and play it and enjoy it, but I'm still gonna criticize this aspect of it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Macaluso posted:

especially for their first major console mainline game.

It's the 2nd.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

less laughter posted:

It's the 2nd.

Jesus christ, first major mainline game in a brand new region with all new Pokemon, not counting Meltan and Melmetal holy gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Making early game moves like Tackle and Low Kick and Tail Whip look impressive is a waste of effort. They should focus on giving that to stuff like the flashier, more important attacks... like they're clearly doing with Megahorn here:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Legendaries and mythicals being unable to breed is just a game thing to keep you from getting more of them. These beings need a way to propogate themselves in universe, and creatures like Mew are hardly gods. It's just a rare, powerful animal.

Obviously the case is probably different for things like the ones that are actual gods like almost every Legendary from Sinnoh, or the ones created by special means like the legendary beasts and the Regis, but something like Mew, Lugia, et all, can probably reproduce no problem.

There's nothing that explicitly says that in the games. Lugia having offspring is an anime thing. You cannot make the assumption you're making without recognizing that all proof points to Mewtwo being a clone, inside and outside of the games.

quote:

Low Kick
This is hardly an early game move.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

There's nothing that explicitly says that in the games. Lugia having offspring is an anime thing. You cannot make the assumption you're making without recognizing that all proof points to Mewtwo being a clone, inside and outside of the games.

It's not explicitly said, but like, it's an extrapolation based on what we know about the world. Like, if they don't breed, where the hell do these things come from? There's more than one Mew, and there's more than one Shaymin, Zeraora, etc. And even then, in game, something like Lugia isn't really a god-like being, it's just an exceptionally powerful Pokemon that people revered like one. Mew may be exceptionally long lived and rare, but it's more like Bigfoot than it is a mythological creature like Zeus.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

iospace posted:

More devs = diminishing returns. It's not as simple as you think.

When it comes to something like model and/or animation conversion/scaling that boils down more to being a repeatable process, which is exactly the ideal kind of thing contract work is for.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

It's not explicitly said, but like, it's an extrapolation based on what we know about the world. Like, if they don't breed, where the hell do these things come from? There's more than one Mew, and there's more than one Shaymin, Zeraora, etc. And even then, in game, something like Lugia isn't really a god-like being, it's just an exceptionally powerful Pokemon that people revered like one. Mew may be exceptionally long lived and rare, but it's more like Bigfoot than it is a mythological creature like Zeus.

In the context of the game "canon" there is only ever one of the major Pokemon or mythicals per universe. Mew can only ever be caught on the Faraway Island in South America, the rest are giveaways which are of dubious canon. In cases of Pokemon like Ho-Oh and Lugia, we've only seen them roosting in different places (because they're birds) or accessible through portals. Kyogre and Groudon go to the Embedded Tower after their battle to cool off. Portals offer access to other times and dimensions, thus preserving the one-per-universe rule.

In the case of Mewtwo, it is assumed to never be caught between generations. The Mewtwo in HGSS is the same one from FRLG, and later moves to Kalos. Only through Giovanni's meddling does it ever appear to be caught.

Mew cannot naturally breed, and therefore had to have been artificially impregnated. If we're "extrapolating based on what we know", it makes far more sense for it to have been impregnated with its clone than to assume what we know to be categorically false. In your quest to be right you're missing the forest for the trees.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This comes down to how they're portrayed. Mew is basically the in universe version of a cryptid, not a divine entity. It's essentially an animal, so it's not unreasonable to think it's capable of doing animal things.

That being said, Pokemon are treated like something different from actual animals and the in universe act of Pokemon procreation is strongly implied to be less biological and more mysterious and mystical. Cynthia herself says that before the event in HGSS, no one had ever seen a Pokemon egg being created, and the Breeders themselves have said that they don't know how the egg got there when they give it to you. Combined with that one NPC in XY who says an Egg is more like a "pokemon cradle", it's more than just a cute way of hiding the fact that the cute collectible animals are doing it, and more a clear indication that Pokemon don't reproduce the same way other creatures do.

It'd be really weird if any time two Pokemon decide to have a kid, Arceus himself shows up and does that weird mystical poo poo he did, but the idea of it is hilarious. Especially in the context of chain breeding in the games.

"What, AGAIN? Why does ANYONE need this many Grimer?!"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

Making early game moves like Tackle and Low Kick and Tail Whip look impressive is a waste of effort. They should focus on giving that to stuff like the flashier, more important attacks... like they're clearly doing with Megahorn here:

I mean yeah there's a lot of particle effects here but it doesn't actually look good? I mean it's just a kind of generic explosion after the bird zips across the screen. Seriously if you told me this was brave bird instead of like...megahorn I'd believe you. The only thing tying this to the move is that it's green like a lot of bug moves are usually.

Also you could cut like the first bit of charge up animation and the large explosion at the end and it's be way better cause holy poo poo this is some gen 4 time wasting with animation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, I like it a lot personally, but I'm mostly saying it's got effort and improved compared to the previous game in that Corviknight actually flies across the screen to strike the opponent and doesn't turn into an amorphous green blob of energy like users of it did in Gens 6 and 7.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also you could cut like the first bit of charge up animation and the large explosion at the end and it's be way better cause holy poo poo this is some gen 4 time wasting with animation.

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

People turn them off because they're too long. There needs to be an in-between "accelerated animations" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

This comes down to how they're portrayed. Mew is basically the in universe version of a cryptid, not a divine entity. It's essentially an animal, so it's not unreasonable to think it's capable of doing animal things.

That being said, Pokemon are treated like something different from actual animals and the in universe act of Pokemon procreation is strongly implied to be less biological and more mysterious and mystical. Cynthia herself says that before the event in HGSS, no one had ever seen a Pokemon egg being created, and the Breeders themselves have said that they don't know how the egg got there when they give it to you. Combined with that one NPC in XY who says an Egg is more like a "pokemon cradle", it's more than just a cute way of hiding the fact that the cute collectible animals are doing it, and more a clear indication that Pokemon don't reproduce the same way other creatures do.

It'd be really weird if any time two Pokemon decide to have a kid, Arceus himself shows up and does that weird mystical poo poo he did, but the idea of it is hilarious. Especially in the context of chain breeding in the games.

"What, AGAIN? Why does ANYONE need this many Grimer?!"

You raise another point. If Pokemon lay eggs, why would Mew be pregnant and giving birth? Usually we don't refer to the laying of the egg as giving birth. You can submit that eggs weren't a thing in Gen I, but concept art and the programming of the game demonstrates that eggs were at least planned this far back.