Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Yeah I get why people would react that way to her tweet. I still prefer the use of specific and accurate language instead of language meant to inflame people's emotions, especially from someone whose opinions are highly read such as her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Katie Herzog is a transphobic piece of poo poo. Dan Savage is a racist piece of poo poo. The Stranger is garbage, and I don't really care about making arguments against the neo-liberal trash that love their crap.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I usually just go with "kidfucker"

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Her piece on detransitioners was about as fair and evenhanded an article as is possible on trans issues these days. Everyone has such strong kneejerk reactions to any dissenting takes even though it's an incredibly deep, complex, and nuanced subject. I personally experience gender dysphoria from the paraphilic sexual orientation that leads to becoming a late onset transwoman and I think her writing on the subject has been fair and not hateful at all.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Turtle Blogger posted:

Her piece on detransitioners was about as fair and evenhanded an article as is possible on trans issues these days. Everyone has such strong kneejerk reactions to any dissenting takes even though it's an incredibly deep, complex, and nuanced subject. I personally experience gender dysphoria from the paraphilic sexual orientation that leads to becoming a late onset transwoman and I think her writing on the subject has been fair and not hateful at all.

You are giving off really strong reactionary vibes. Your arguments for defending Herzog are the same arguments made by crypto-fash.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Turtle Blogger posted:

Yeah I get why people would react that way to her tweet. I still prefer the use of specific and accurate language instead of language meant to inflame people's emotions, especially from someone whose opinions are highly read such as her.

This implies you think there is a qualitative difference between raping a ten year old and raping a thirteen year old (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't actually think this). And that's really why people roll their eyes/get disgusted by "it's actually ephebophilia" because there is an implicit argument that "it's a different thing so it's not as bad."

Pedophile as used by the general public has a meaning that is broader than the specific Latin term as used in academic publications. Language is like that. Don't carry water for pedophiles.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hey guys did you hear about the earthq.... :yikes:

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
I’m only offended by the fact that you all think all those words are Latin when of course they’re Greek.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

xrunner posted:

This implies you think there is a qualitative difference between raping a ten year old and raping a thirteen year old (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't actually think this). And that's really why people roll their eyes/get disgusted by "it's actually ephebophilia" because there is an implicit argument that "it's a different thing so it's not as bad."

Pedophile as used by the general public has a meaning that is broader than the specific Latin term as used in academic publications. Language is like that. Don't carry water for pedophiles.

I understand the point you are making in terms of the aesthetics/narrative value of using the word pedophile even if it's not the word that sexology academics would use. The general public does indeed use the word as you say they do. I think that kids can't consent and that all of it is rape--whether ephebophilia, hebephilia, or pedophilia. I agree with you on that. I still don't think someone should be maligned for being accurate and specific with their word usage.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

DevNull posted:

You are giving off really strong reactionary vibes. Your arguments for defending Herzog are the same arguments made by crypto-fash.

I'm left wing and anti-authoritarian as gently caress, actually. If you have an argument aside from trying to rhetorically paint someone you disagree with as the enemy(and therefore bad and wrong), then I'm open to hearing it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Turtle Blogger posted:

I'm left wing and anti-authoritarian as gently caress, actually. If you have an argument aside from trying to rhetorically paint someone you disagree with as the enemy(and therefore bad and wrong), then I'm open to hearing it.

Listening to chapo and cumtown doesn't make you left wing. In fact, they have really awful politics that aren't really leftist at all.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Turtle Blogger posted:

I’d argue that in the most charitable reading it comes across as needlessly pedantic and showing off how much smarter than everyone else you are. Like “read the room”

And the less charitable is that you’re drawing lines and giving cover to rapists “it was only ephibophilia come on guys it’s not like it was a little kid!”

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Turtle Blogger posted:

I still don't think someone should be maligned for being accurate and specific with their word usage.
Nah gently caress this. If you are a doctor, and in your medical paper intended to be read by other doctors you find it useful to distinguish between different sorts of child-loving, then great, I'm glad doctors have technical terms for that. If you are a lay person or talking to lay people and you need terms other than pedophile, you are providing cover for child-fuckers.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 12, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

xrunner posted:

I’d argue that in the most charitable reading it comes across as needlessly pedantic and showing off how much smarter than everyone else you are. Like “read the room”

And the less charitable is that you’re drawing lines and giving cover to rapists “it was only ephibophilia come on guys it’s not like it was a little kid!”

Whenever I see someone explaining the distinctions between terms loving underage people I really think it's the definition of winning the battle but losing the war.

But we had an earthquake!!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

I usually just go with "kidfucker"

Can we just word filter both to "kidfucker" so this never comes up again

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Turtle Blogger posted:

I understand the point you are making in terms of the aesthetics/narrative value of using the word pedophile even if it's not the word that sexology academics would use. The general public does indeed use the word as you say they do. I think that kids can't consent and that all of it is rape--whether ephebophilia, hebephilia, or pedophilia. I agree with you on that. I still don't think someone should be maligned for being accurate and specific with their word usage.

But this isn't an example of someone being accurate and specific with their word usage. This is someone going out of their way to correct other people's word usage, needlessly, pedantically, and in a way that minimizes the monstrous repeat crimes of a child rapist.

Do you not understand the difference between using irony correctly yourself and needing to defend a child rapist?

And we're not just talking private life, this is a public person, a reporter, using her fame to offer justification for a serial child rapist, because oh they're not technically a child rapist, at least that hasn't been precisely alleged yet in the years and years and years of repeated child rapes, oh no he's been doing years and years and years of teen rape.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Turtle Blogger posted:

Katie Herzog is right in saying he's not a pedophile. The proper label based on the ages I've seen mentioned is either ephebephile or hebephile.

:siren:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
amazing that anybody continued talking to that guy after he made pedophile libertarian argument number one right off the bat

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

amazing that anybody continued talking to that guy after he made pedophile libertarian argument number one right off the bat

I don't think anyone was doing it because they though they could change that posters mind. They were doing it in case anyone else wasn't aware of the dangers of the bad faith arguments.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Someone was throwing molotovs at a concentration camp in Tacoma and got killed by the guards

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Someone find his name. That person had a name. Say their name.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

twodot posted:

Nah gently caress this. If you are a doctor, and in your medical paper intended to be read by other doctors you find it useful to distinguish between different sorts of child-loving, then great, I'm glad doctors have technical terms for that. If you are a lay person or talking to lay people and you need terms other than pedophile, you are providing cover for child-fuckers.

they're just using accurate language there's no reason to freak out about it

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Better language would not be to call Epstein a pedophile. We should call him an admitted, convicted sex offender who rapes children

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

JK Fresco posted:

Better language would not be to call Epstein a pedophile. We should call him an admitted, convicted sex offender who rapes children

So, a kid fucker.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ulex minor posted:

JK Fresco posted:

Yeah these.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

therobit posted:

So, a kid fucker.

Hey, don't short change the guy. He also was a kid fucker trafficker.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If he was an incel who sprayed people with ar fire at the Tacoma Mall his name and photo would have been front and center in that story.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

ulex minor posted:

No they are deliberately using misleading language to provide cover for a rapist, because lay people mostly don't know the term "ephebophile" and mostly understand the term "pedophile" to cover a large range of kid-raping, and not as a specific psychiatric term. Accurate communication requires understanding your audience, using medical jargon around random non-doctors is either deception or idiocy.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1150202427452383233

This is what I've found about him, and saw it repeated a couple other places so for right now I'm pretty certain his name was Will Van Spronsen.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He was arrested in 2018 for defending a 17 year old protestor after the kid was attacked by a cop.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article232647262.html

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Will Van Spronsen, that sounds an awful lot like John Brown to my ear.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

From the info that has been put out so far, it sounds like he wasn't attacking main building. He was across the street burning the buses that were being used for transport. So targeting infrastructure, and *not* putting people in danger.

Edit: I forgot a very important word...

DevNull fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 14, 2019

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
Good summary of ICE incident.

https://youtu.be/KNQR6kAHSdI

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Scionic posted:

This is a right wing propaganda channel and gently caress you for posting it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DevNull posted:

From the info that has been put out so far, it sounds like he wasn't attacking main building. He was across the street burning the buses that were being used for transport. So targeting infrastructure, and putting people in danger.

Targeting infrastructure = putting people in danger = bad.

Targeting a building full of prisoners that definitely would be left to die if the building was set on fire = not putting people in danger = good?

:thunk:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Targeting infrastructure = putting people in danger = bad.

Targeting a building full of prisoners that definitely would be left to die if the building was set on fire = not putting people in danger = good?

:thunk:

Sorry, I meant to type "not" putting people in danger. I shouldn't post before coffee apparently. I corrected my post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. Sorry, that’s actually the type of sentiment I would expect to hear from some people.

It didn’t mention whether he actually used his rifle at all, and I would think that ICE would have trotted that out front and center if he had. I wonder if he only even had it to make sure that they would try to kill him rather than just arresting him again.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Scionic posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this hosed up my youtube recommended and now im a right wing terrorist

thanks for nothing

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Overhead that 4 or 5 people were on administrative leave for the shooting. And that the guy was trying to start a fire around some propane tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

BrandorKP posted:

Overhead that 4 or 5 people were on administrative leave for the shooting.

Paid leave.

A free vacation as a reward. As usual.