Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

X-Men Grand Design - X-Tinction 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chinston Wurchill posted:

X-Men Grand Design - X-Tinction 2

If that's Xavier, he was never woke.
Xavier is a human apologist to mutant-kind.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IUG posted:

You're thinking of Reader
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Reader_(Inhuman)_(Earth-616)

He can read three brail cards a day (separated by a full night's sleep), and whatever he reads happens. First card has the biggest effects, and they scale down as they used.

One example was the second card he read was "sanctuary", so he got a mini castle.

This seems like a super overpowered ability

What if he read a card that said "My sight returns permanently"?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He goes back to the way he was before, and manifests whatever 3 things he happens to see.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Phy posted:

Also that basically describes any Vancian magic character in a tabletop RPG. Like, wizards (or clerics, I think?) in D&D.
And druids!

Prior to 4/5e, at any rate. In 5e you prepare a set of readied spells that can be cast in any variety until you run out of spell slots.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Linked for suicide reference.
The Green Mask #2 (1940)

Spidey Super Stories #4 (1975)

Vision & The Scarlet Witch #4 (1982)

Hitman #44 (1999)

Marville #1 (2002)

Astonishing Tales #2 (2009)

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II #4 (2018)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

His people blinded him because after his powers manifested he read Fahrenheit 451 which triggered a massive fire and killed everyone around but him. Presumably the only reason he's still blind is because he wants to avoid a repeat of a scenario like that and staying blind is the best way to avoid reading. He's brought non-existent people into reality... twice.

Anyway...

Fantastic Four: The Prodigal Sun #1: A mysterious alien has appeared in the Savage Land and has conquered a tribe there

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 15, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The guy really oughta know better by now but I like Reed's complete lack of self-awareness as a character trait.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

He can't control his power — it's the first three things he reads each day. And a lot of the time he does use his powers to "see", just via his dog, Forey (though Reader's power doesn't seem to extend to reading through other people's eyes).

Relatedly: Do not gently caress with Reader's dog.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bruceski posted:

The guy really oughta know better by now but I like Reed's complete lack of self-awareness as a character trait.

I also appreciate they were apparently entirely aware of this base, but didn’t think it might be worth a quick once-through?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

He's brought non-existent people into reality... twice.

Yeah, remember that time Matt Murdock pretended to be his made-up brother Mike Murdock to mess with his friends? Reader accidentally conjured Mike into being a real person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Yeah, remember that time Matt Murdock pretended to be his made-up brother Mike Murdock to mess with his friends? Reader accidentally conjured Mike into being a real person.

Not related to the fake Mike Murdock corpse that Matt used to bring himself back to life after faking his own death. The corpse was a leftover doppelganger from Infinity War.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Not related to the fake Mike Murdock corpse that Matt used to bring himself back to life after faking his own death.

I remember Mike getting "killed" to end that storyline, but Matt getting a hobo corpse or something is a bit grim for Lee...

Rhyno posted:

The corpse was a leftover doppelganger from Infinity War.

Oh. The other time he faked his death. Matt Murdock sure does fake his death a lot. You'd think the New York Bar Association would have some questions about that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Oh. The other time he faked his death. Matt Murdock sure does fake his death a lot. You'd think the New York Bar Association would have some questions about that.

In 616 it probably happens often enough that they just fill out a form

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just this last weekend I was rereading The Death of Captain Marvel, in which Drax the Destroyer tries to comfort Mar-Vell by saying, basically, It's okay, I've died before, it's not that bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How can Superman stop the artist formerly known as Mxyzptlk now that he has the law on his side?

Easy:

He just makes an army of tiny supermen explode him from the inside out.

Silver age comics: they're even weirder inside than the cover makes you think they are.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I'm a touch more weirded out by Superman saying "How come?"

I know he's a farm boy and all, but still.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

wizards.jpg

(Source is Dungeon Meshi.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did they eat it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The main thing I remember from the Mike Murdock storyline are those loving bonkers-rear end sunglasses.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mikl posted:

wizards.jpg

(Source is Dungeon Meshi.)

Is that a liberal translation or is the original just as funny?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It is me, the Grumpy Shitposter of Comics Present.

I kinda wish people wouldn't post panels from stuff the literal hour it drops, so maybe people could go read it unspoiled.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Is that a liberal translation or is the original just as funny?

The latter. It's a really good series.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Golden age comics had some funny ideas about women.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe just sit down Superman and tell him you don't like it when other ladies rub their thighs on his dick? You're his girlfriend, it's ok to feel that way.

Or just take off the backpack.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Or take whatever 50 pound archaic battery they have in that thing out of it so it won't light up and ring a bell. :thunk:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How is her 18 inch waist supporting that thing?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Superman aint the only one with abs of steel

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

They did, but that's a silver age comic.

Yes, I am the comics ages police, why do you ask?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Golden, silver, bronze, post-bronze, whatever the hell age we're in now...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Superman hates jealous women but has a pathological inability to learn and know what makes women jealous. "Lois, you're not jealous I spent last weekend at the Fortress of Solitude with Marilyn Monroe, are you?"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Golden, silver, bronze, post-bronze, whatever the hell age we're in now...

It's actually pretty easy to distinguish the different ages.
If Superman's beating the poo poo out of gangster, fascists and politicians he's golden Age.
If he's using super hypnosis to make you think his head turned into that of a lion while his robot duplicate is spanking Lois, *that's* Silver Age.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 17, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so those two wildly different scenarios are both silver age? that doesn't help at all!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If the art is kinda bad and what's happening is the craziest goddamn thing you've ever seen in your life, it's Golden Age.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If Superman is creating complex metal work and forming a Mediterranean spanning empire, it's Iron Age.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so those two wildly different scenarios are both silver age? that doesn't help at all!

whoops

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Uncanny X-Men 129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Uncanny X-Men 129

Kitty: *says something racist*

Ororo: "You're one of a kind."

Kitty: "CAUSE I'M SMART"

Ororo: "Not exactly."