Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

This man is straight ballin'.

Needs to work on his squatting technique, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Needs to work on his squatting technique, though.

The Slav squat lobby group has too much power already

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Dawncloack posted:

Hey Cat Mattress! Could you expand on what you said? Do you mean rules qere disregarded? What rules?

This is an earnest question and it's legit not to know (the eu has MANY rules after all), but if you can tell me Id love to learn.

Thanks and keep being a chill bro :)

The most important thing you have to remember about all "rules-based" politics that should govern the EU can be - and somewhat frequently are - tossed overboard, especially if the Council (read: an agreement between Paris and Berlin) wants it to be so.

The ombudsman findings that CM quoted may be a thing, but - as you may have noticed - Selmayr is still where he is.

The EP is somewhat of a check on the Commission, but the Council gives no fucks.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 5, 2019

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I am super aware that Selmayr is still there. But yeah good points.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nosre posted:

I have no idea about who this guy is (beyond being a new politician) but this is a fun tweet

https://twitter.com/MagicMagid/status/1146022757580386306

https://mobile.twitter.com/magicmagid/status/1014494400532148225

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1148905965510647808

Far-right populists making friends in Russia? Well this was unexpected. Or maybe not.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
You think he'll succeed now that he's won?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGEDv3PQOjQ

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

You think he'll succeed now that he's won?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGEDv3PQOjQ

:lol:

quote:

He’s not shy about his establishment credentials either. One of Mitsotakis’s main campaign planks is convincing Greek’s that his financial stewardship can spur renewed confidence in the Greek economy, and lead the lenders who bailed out its economy to the tune of 240 billion euros over eight years to ease their strict requirement that Greece maintain a budget surplus of 3.5 percent. “The key challenge is to restore high growth rates,” Mitsotakis said. “If the economy grows faster, our creditors are going to be happy because the debt is going to be repaid more easily.”

Following Tsipras germany enforced austerity, public sale-off and benefits cuts he's going to change things by austering even harder and cutting taxes.

EDIT: Lets not even get into how New Democracy was one of the key institutions responsible for Greece ending up in the situation it did after the global financial crisis.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 10, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MiddleOne posted:

:lol:

Following Tsipras germany enforced austerity, public sale-off and benefits cuts he's going to change things by austering even harder and cutting taxes.

EDIT: Lets not even get into how New Democracy was one of the key institutions responsible for Greece ending up in the situation it did after the global financial crisis.

Yeah it's pretty funny how some people think that good economic times will come from what can be summed up as 'more austerity but also lower taxes'. Especially seeing as the lower taxes bit in particular precipitated the previous deep recession, IIRC they cut taxes in half in the 2000s.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Also a really good idea to cut further into public spending cause that public healthcare, pensions were definitely being a drain. So were that somewhat lower than crisis levels child mortality and so on

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

When will Golden Dawn take over and make Greece fascy, or does MeRa 25 have an actual chance of rising?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

When will Golden Dawn take over and make Greece fascy, or does MeRa 25 have an actual chance of rising?

Golden Dawn did not even get into the Parliament this time. Which is good.
Instead, another new party simulating it (for the most part) did. It's called "Greek Solution" and is led by this guy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dante80 posted:

Golden Dawn did not even get into the Parliament this time. Which is good.
Instead, another new party simulating it (for the most part) did. It's called "Greek Solution" and is led by this guy.

What do you mean by "for the most part"?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you mean by "for the most part"?

It is more of a weird amalgam of pro-russian, pro-orthodox church nationalist party than a straight up ultra-nationalist/neo-nazi organization.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Greens in the EU Parliament will vote against van der Leyen - not enough commitment to climate (VDL wants to reduce the commitment from 55% reduction by 2050 to 50%) and to rule of law. Which is not surprising as the EPP has Orban to deal with.

Be interesting to see what the S&D does, but I suspect the fix is in already and they'll vote to confirm.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny how some people think that good economic times will come from what can be summed up as 'more austerity but also lower taxes'. Especially seeing as the lower taxes bit in particular precipitated the previous deep recession, IIRC they cut taxes in half in the 2000s.

The "problem" here is that SYRIZA left the state's finances in a pretty stable, good place (there's something like 37bln euros in surplus in the state coffers). So they've handed Mitsotakis what is essentially a gift, whereby he will be able to perform whatever neoliberal reform he wants (tax cuts, privatisations, etc) without having to compensate with cuts that directly affect people like pensions or salaries.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

The Greens in the EU Parliament will vote against van der Leyen - not enough commitment to climate (VDL wants to reduce the commitment from 55% reduction by 2050 to 50%) and to rule of law. Which is not surprising as the EPP has Orban to deal with.

Be interesting to see what the S&D does, but I suspect the fix is in already and they'll vote to confirm.

The German SPD, member of both the S&D and in a coalition with VDL's party, is desperately trying to drum up opposition against her in the S&D so it's going to be interesting indeed!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/BBCHARDtalk/status/1149068779952979969

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Off to a good start. :staredog:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.liberation.fr/planete/2019/07/12/presidence-de-la-commission-europeenne-house-of-cards-a-bruxelles_1739655

TL;DR: rumors are that Martin Selmayr is sabotaging Ursula vd Leyen. The motive would be that he doesn't want to see a German at the head of the Commission, since he's a German secretary general of the Commission, and the rest of the EU is never going to accept that the two key posts are held by the same country. Selmayr, the article says, is pushing for the current Prime Minister of Croatia, Andrej Plenkovic, to get this post. The other name he doesn't want to see would be Timmermans, out of personal dislike this time.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
von der Leyen mismanaged anything she touched, so unless Plenkovic will burn down anything he touches...

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

suck my woke dick posted:

von der Leyen mismanaged anything she touched, so unless Plenkovic will burn down anything he touches...

He's terrible. Worse than Leyen by far.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Details, Gervasius, details!!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawncloack posted:

Details, Gervasius, details!!

Eh, there's not much to say. Plenkovic's government is hilariously corrupt even by croatian standards, he's been presiding over our rapid descent deeper into fascism, there is constant erosion of human rights (especially abortion. Hooo boy), his party is buddy-buddy with Orban and so on and on and on.

And while all that is happening, he is sitting on the sidelines pretending to be ~sensible centrist~.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Isn't it awesome? We are going to live through something similar to the collapse of the USSR in our lifetimes! What an opportunity!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
On a personal level, Plenkovic seems like a cultured, relatively reasonable center-right diplomat. Under him however the country has been shifting to the right and many ministers are horrible. It's unclear is it because of necessary concessions to the right wingers in his party, because of his own incompetence, or maybe because he's moderate only on surface. He's replacing a number of ministers, mostly those horrible ones, so there should be at least some improvement in the government. Since we don't have a competent left politician to challenge him, I worry he'll take the EU job and we'll get an even worse PM.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

S&D demands for their votes to support VDL:

— An investment plan for sustainable development, aimed at generating public and private investment totaling €1 trillion in the period 2020-2024;

— Setting up a European Climate Bank, as part of the European Investment Bank, and creating an EU standard for green bonds;

— Phasing out fuel tax exemptions for shipping and aviation, and reforming the bloc’s carbon market to include shipping and aviation emissions;

— Setting a legally binding 55 percent emissions cut by 2030 under a new Climate Law, due “by June 2020 at the latest.” EPP doesn't want more than 50. The 55% target is also supported by Greens and ALDE+ (or Renew, if you must)

— Introducing a carbon border tariff, compatible with the World Trade Organization, aimed at preventing companies from moving operations to regions with weaker environmental rules;

— Introducing “binding and enforceable social and environmental protections and human rights provisions with the possibility of sanctions as a last resort” in international trade agreements.

Group leader and Spanish MEP Iratxe García wrote in the letter that von der Leyen needed to “make concrete commitments on our key demands or we will not be able to back your candidacy.”

The party also called for the next Commission president to “work for institutional reform to empower voters and to consolidate the role of the European Parliament.”

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So a German is pushing for a fascist enabler to get in power?

Huh...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

So a German is pushing for a fascist enabler to get in power?

I wouldn't read too much into Selmayr's shady dealing above self-preservation and ambition.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Junior G-man posted:

I wouldn't read too much into Selmayr's shady dealing above self-preservation and ambition.

I know, but the low hanging fruit is right there!

This isn't a German thing, but a liberal "well how bad can these fascists really be anyway, surely not worse than leftists" thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Something wild is going on in Italy https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1150719515300421632

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Crossposting my explanation from the Italy thread in case some people miss it:

Forza Nuova are openly neofascist and have been for like 20 years now, they were one of the splits from the old MSI (the basic neofascist party since the post-war era) who didn't agree with the latter's decision to moderate its ideas and collaborate with the centre-right. There are grounds in the Constitution to come down hard with the hammer on both, but for some reason nobody has ever lifted a finger on them.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
An AA missile. Wow.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

That looks like a French Super 530.

What the hell were they planning to do with it? It's not like you can launch it without like, a French fighter aircraft. Plus what kind of state/non-state actor is going to buy a single outdated air to air missile?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That's loving insane.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That looks like a French Super 530.

What the hell were they planning to do with it? It's not like you can launch it without like, a French fighter aircraft. Plus what kind of state/non-state actor is going to buy a single outdated air to air missile?
One that has connections in European militaries that allows it to actually launch it? The most successful current pan-European project seems to be cops and soldiers across Europe joining together in their hatred of immigrants and "the left".

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One that has connections in European militaries that allows it to actually launch it?

Nah..but the warhead and the fuel are super usable.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One that has connections in European militaries that allows it to actually launch it? The most successful current pan-European project seems to be cops and soldiers across Europe joining together in their hatred of immigrants and "the left".

I mean more in that given that you'd need a Mirage 2000 and the associated radar system to actually launch it (it's a semi active radar homing missile, it depends on a separate radar to guide it), if you had the system needed to actually fire that thing you'd already have a bunch of those missiles.

Like I guess sure it had a warhead but that's a really dumb and expensive way to get a 30kg bomb. Although I guess it's par for the course with how dumb the far right is.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That thing cannot be fired from a M2000. It is an F variant, used on the Mirage F1. Probably Libyan or Iraqi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dante80 posted:

That thing cannot be fired from a M2000. It is an F variant, used on the Mirage F1. Probably Libyan or Iraqi.

There is a digos video (you can see it here https://www.ilmattino.it/primopiano/cronaca/missile_neo_nazisti_armi_arsenale_torino-4619766.html ) that show the arsenal in detail, including the missile. The transport canister has a clear production lot info (built date October 1980) and a rather unequivocable “built for Qatar” tag

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 15, 2019