Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

Also no School Days. gently caress you! :3:

Shuffle!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

ichigo 100%?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kokoro Wish posted:

Green Green, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DamnGlitch posted:

Shuffle!

lol

Always that one yandere moment. >_>

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Is there a rehost of ADTRWiki? The original says the domain has been sold.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Coaaab posted:

ookami shounen wa kyou mo uso o kasaneru

Okay I am loving loving this one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

You could still access it by IP address if you can find it, and it's just the domain that's been sold. Assuming that's the case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kokoro Wish posted:

Okay I am loving loving this one.
it's very good and ends well

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

adtrw.nulani.net

I asked about it in the ask the mod thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, Quintuplets is great, thanks

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you like the manga, don't watch the anime.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

adtrw.nulani.net

I asked about it in the ask the mod thread

Thank you!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Invictus posted:

it's very good and ends well

Gotta reiterate, "Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru" is one of those absolutely blessed arcs of manga. Has an actual arc that happens over a relitively short span of chapters, with an actual ending that actually felt was planned as a complete story from beginning to end. Will throughly recommend to anyone.

It's given me the impetus to move on to the anime Wandering Son. Yes I know that it's not the same type of story, but it was the portion with the sibling that I felt wasn't touched on enough that got me to actually start on Wandering Son.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

himegoto juukyuusai no seifuku

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

DisDisDis posted:

himegoto juukyuusai no seifuku

it's really more of a lewd melodrama than a harem or romcom but it is a well-executed lewd melodrama if you are up for that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kokoro Wish posted:

Gotta reiterate, "Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru" is one of those absolutely blessed arcs of manga. Has an actual arc that happens over a relitively short span of chapters, with an actual ending that actually felt was planned as a complete story from beginning to end. Will throughly recommend to anyone.

It's given me the impetus to move on to the anime Wandering Son. Yes I know that it's not the same type of story, but it was the portion with the sibling that I felt wasn't touched on enough that got me to actually start on Wandering Son.
Does Wandering Son's anime reach the end of the manga or is it one of those "one season, gets 1/10 through the story and stops so you have to reach the manga" because the manga is real good and pretty

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Thuryl posted:

it's really more of a lewd melodrama than a harem or romcom but it is a well-executed lewd melodrama if you are up for that

i'm stretching the definition of harem here but i think it holds a very similar appeal to ookami shounen but dealing with more adult (or well, barely into adulthood) and heavier issues.

also it's really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Does Wandering Son's anime reach the end of the manga or is it one of those "one season, gets 1/10 through the story and stops so you have to reach the manga" because the manga is real good and pretty

the series wasnt evne close to done when it aired

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wow, that's some really heartwarming anime on this page

Anyway I'm looking for some horror

Not necessarily gory or overall kill-happy, just generally horrifying in SOME way, through implications or otherwise. Labyrinthine plots and awesome creature designs are a plus. I generally liked the Kara no Kyoukai movies (with the exception of certain hella bad characters... you know exactly who) and Texhnolyze (if you wanna count that as horror - sure had great horrifying stuff, though); I really liked the almost offhanded terrifying stuff of Kaiba; Shiki was kinda cheap-looking, but I appreciated how the plot turned incredibly bleak AND bonkers at the same time.

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad. Turns out it's a time loop, and one character is aware of it and tries to break out (also, there's a ghost). Looked really cheap, too, but I appreciated how it kept hiding plot details and called back to them much later. I remember the ending being kinda TOO good overall, but hell, I suppose they've earned it. Can't find the title for the live of me, tho.

...and I loving love Madoka, if you didn't guess that already, and I'm totally counting that as horror too

Is there anything close to this out there?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Torquemadras posted:

Read Franken Fran if you want a full spectrum of indirect mind-bending horrors. At first you might think that the comedy makes the horror less disturbing, but you'd be wrong. :unsmigghh:

Torquemadras posted:

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad. Turns out it's a time loop, and one character is aware of it and tries to break out (also, there's a ghost). Looked really cheap, too, but I appreciated how it kept hiding plot details and called back to them much later. I remember the ending being kinda TOO good overall, but hell, I suppose they've earned it. Can't find the title for the live of me, tho.
Higurashi?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 15, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad.

Dunno about the rest you mentioned because i think i never finished it, but this sounds like Higurashi no naku koro ni (localized to When They Cry, i think). It's structured into like 8 different arcs or something. The anime aged pretty badly, cuz it was done by a budget studio i think

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Higurashi is definitely a story I would recommend playing the VN it's based off of instead; topical too since chapter 7 comes out on Steam in like 3 days.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Torquemadras posted:

This kinda sounds like Higurashi?

edit: wow, that'll teach me to refresh the page before posting. Higurashi has a bomb-rear end OP song BTW.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Not necessarily gory or overall kill-happy, just generally horrifying in SOME way, through implications or otherwise. Labyrinthine plots and awesome creature designs are a plus. I generally liked the Kara no Kyoukai movies (with the exception of certain hella bad characters... you know exactly who) and Texhnolyze (if you wanna count that as horror - sure had great horrifying stuff, though); I really liked the almost offhanded terrifying stuff of Kaiba; Shiki was kinda cheap-looking, but I appreciated how the plot turned incredibly bleak AND bonkers at the same time.

From The New World, if you haven’t already seen it? Not precisely horror, but definitely unsettling and bleak for the most part. Excellent show in general also, and a really good ED.

Just one thing regarding the first half - there was a guest director who did two episodes (can’t remember which), and I found them pretty clearly worse than the rest. If you think the show’s fallen off a cliff randomly at some point in the first 12 episodes, that’s probably why, so worth sticking with it for a bit rather than dropping it if that puts you off.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

...and I loving love Madoka, if you didn't guess that already, and I'm totally counting that as horror too

you are generally better off reading horror manga as the average quality of horror anime is just bad but try shinsekai yori (more plot than creatures unless you love rats), the devilman ovas (creature designs not much plot in them), perfect blue (plot), alien 9 (plot and creatures, wow!) and Kikoushi Enma (the ova series, not the old series or the comedy series)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Dunno about the rest you mentioned because i think i never finished it, but this sounds like Higurashi no naku koro ni (localized to When They Cry, i think). It's structured into like 8 different arcs or something. The anime aged pretty badly, cuz it was done by a budget studio i think

Yeeeessss, Higurashi it was

Really not a good-looking show. But I liked the mystery quite a bit. Also,

Dias posted:

Higurashi has a bomb-rear end OP song BTW.

Confirming this, now that I looked up Higurashi again

smenj posted:

From The New World, if you haven’t already seen it? Not precisely horror, but definitely unsettling and bleak for the most part. Excellent show in general also, and a really good ED.

Just one thing regarding the first half - there was a guest director who did two episodes (can’t remember which), and I found them pretty clearly worse than the rest. If you think the show’s fallen off a cliff randomly at some point in the first 12 episodes, that’s probably why, so worth sticking with it for a bit rather than dropping it if that puts you off.

I actually started this one! And, holy poo poo, I DID have the impression that it fell off a cliff at some point, because everything looked like garbage and I just didn't care about loving molepeople and how the lessons humanity learned from bonobo monkeys made teenagers horny. (I don't even think I'm that far off actual events in the show.)
Maybe worth powering through???

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Torquemadras posted:

I actually started this one! And, holy poo poo, I DID have the impression that it fell off a cliff at some point, because everything looked like garbage and I just didn't care about loving molepeople and how the lessons humanity learned from bonobo monkeys made teenagers horny. (I don't even think I'm that far off actual events in the show.)

If you read the manga, they have completely different stories. The manga is weird bullshit, the show is one of the best anime of the decade. (They're apparently both based on the same novel but I can't really speak to that.)

You should care about the mole people, though.

Squealer did nothing wrong

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Torquemadras posted:

Mononoke is good. And on crunchyroll.

Gunslinger Girl isn't supernatural at all but has those horrifying implications :smith:

Mushishi is sometimes real spooky, and always great.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Definitely worth trying again I think. That particular director did something like episode 4 and episode 12, not sure exactly. But yeah, I got to that first episode they did and it was just awful all of a sudden. Whilst it may not be your thing in the end, I really found the rest of the show just fantastic, so well worth at least giving it another chance.

As mentioned above, Perfect Blue is also a good horror film. The same director (Satoshi Kon) did a series called Paranoia Agent which has psychological horror vibes. Haven't seen that one myself yet, but I've heard great things.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Torquemadras posted:

I appreciated how the plot turned incredibly bleak AND bonkers at the same time.
My friend, have you ever seen SaiKano (aka She, The Ultimate Weapon)?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

sinky posted:

Mononoke is good. And on crunchyroll.

Gunslinger Girl isn't supernatural at all but has those horrifying implications :smith:

Mushishi is sometimes real spooky, and always great.

From a first glance, Mononoke is TOTALLY my jam. Trippy visuals and crazy shots, I'm digging this

smenj posted:

As mentioned above, Perfect Blue is also a good horror film. The same director (Satoshi Kon) did a series called Paranoia Agent which has psychological horror vibes. Haven't seen that one myself yet, but I've heard great things.

Actually, I do! I really liked Paranoia Agent - all of Satoshi Kon's works, really. Not sure why I haven't grouped that as "horror" in my head, even his tamest stuff has some DEEPLY unsettling things in it. Paranoia Agent in particular had some incredibly disgusting characters in it, holy poo poo.

Paracelsus posted:

.......nooooooooo?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hot tip: don't mix up Saikano with Saekano.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Mix it up with Sekiro instead.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Dark Souls has a wolf with a sword in its mouth. Ergo: Dark Souls is more anime than Demon's Souls.
Bloodborne has swish swoosh dashing and mid-fight powerups with energy aura and everything. Ergo: Bloodborne is even more anime than Dark Souls.
Sekiro has motherfuckin ninjas and jutsus and monkeys and evil parents who are suddenly not dead anymore and farting lightning out your nippon steel and huffing dank carp juices to reach a divine hangout. Ergo: Sekiro is the most anime.

Checks out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dunno if you caught it but definitely go for the recommendation of Franken Fran if you've not experienced it yet, it's real good and horrifying in a wide variety of ways

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paracelsus posted:

The most depressing anime I've ever watched by a mile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

there's a pseudo-sequel/successor to higurashi called umineko, but the anime isnt very good and doesnt cover the whole story. the manga adaptation's decent iirc, or you could read the actual vn.

also a lot of chiaki j konaka's stuff is pretty decent, though its level of horror varies. He wrote texhnolyze, as an example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HenryEx posted:

Just so long as you don't mix it up with Sekirei :v:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hopefully someone can ID this for me, there was a relatively funny slice of life series about a fat girl in swim club, it was mentioned in one of the slice of life threads iirc years ago but I completely forget the name of it and whether it even got finished or dropped or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

hopefully someone can ID this for me, there was a relatively funny slice of life series about a fat girl in swim club, it was mentioned in one of the slice of life threads iirc years ago but I completely forget the name of it and whether it even got finished or dropped or what.

Was it one of these shows? https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/swimming