Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well at least

It's official that he's finally moving to the next class, which is at least progression.. how long has he been in that class lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
is ippo finally going to learn how to box?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"I need to... Not get punched??"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"I can lead off with something that's not a left hook to the body?!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shindragon posted:

Well at least

It's official that he's finally moving to the next class, which is at least progression.. how long has he been in that class lol

He won the middleweight title back in chapter 555.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ippo's revelation that finally gives him the courage to Cross the Line: "I've figured it out! I'm supposed to punch... and not get punched!"

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
"That's it! If I receive enough punches in the head, it'll be like I'm drunk! I'll use that swaying to make it harder to hit me! And I'll call it... Drunken Boxing!"

:v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New chapter link.
http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1269#page=1

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love the total lack of self-reflection that is "Man, I never really understood anything at all about boxing" and wistfully thinking of his coach. Like motherfucker it's literally his job to teach that to you, he failed miserably at the one thing he had to do. Not like he didn't have years to do it either.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not even being subtle about it. RIP bald/buzzcutt Ippo.. so technically at least a month passed by didn’t it?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's extremely cool that he's using his mangaka assistant experience to help him analyze boxing poo poo with the model drawings. for every big fumble in this manga there's a really good detail that comes in around the side

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah isn't this basically admitting that Kamogawa was a lovely coach who never pointed this out to him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Yeah isn't this basically admitting that Kamogawa was a lovely coach who never pointed this out to him

Well stuff like this had been pointed out in the past. Kamogawa was just bad in tell Ippo the exact answers, usually trying to get Ippo to figure it out himself. Kamogawa himself already said he failed Ippo by not properly explaining stuff to him.

Edit:Though what Kamogawa needs to do is explain to Ippo about how it was his fault for not teaching Ippo properly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's really fun to think of what Kamogawa's career would be if he didn't have three giant boxing beasts walk into his open arms. Takamura doesnt need a ton of coaching, Miyata was destined for greatness no matter who he trained under, and Ippo literally headbutt against a brick wall repeatedly to win and defend a championship.

It would be an absolutely awful coaching career.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

It's really fun to think of what Kamogawa's career would be if he didn't have three giant boxing beasts walk into his open arms. Takamura doesnt need a ton of coaching, Miyata was destined for greatness no matter who he trained under, and Ippo literally headbutt against a brick wall repeatedly to win and defend a championship.

It would be an absolutely awful coaching career.

Miyata was never trained by Kamogawa his dad coached him. Plus Miyata left the Gym before he debuted.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope Morikawa just turns Ippo into a Inoue expy, frankly. He seems to be really focusing on The Left and using it as a versatile tool while not being a passive fighter like he kinda was for the longest time.

Kamogawa continues to be a terrible coach and probably the thing that brings this pretty good arc down the most.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsterEnvy posted:

Miyata was never trained by Kamogawa his dad coached him. Plus Miyata left the Gym before he debuted.

I guess I was thinking he had some sort of hand in his training back then, but hell just Takamura and Ippo figured a lot of it out on their own.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Kamogawa is pretty good at physical training, but sucks at strategy. Despite what he said in his youth, he's still with the same mindset that just training harder is the solution to all his boxers's troubles.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That chapter was good. I like that he figured it out using stick figures (he picked up drawing from mr. manga bully, ie life experience outside of boxing). It's actually a reasonable arc for him to have had too much success early on, but jeez this all should have happened hundreds of chapters ago. Whatever I'll take it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kal-L posted:

Kamogawa is pretty good at physical training, but sucks at strategy. Despite what he said in his youth, he's still with the same mindset that just training harder is the solution to all his boxers's troubles.

He's good at developing the strengths of his boxers but really, REALLY bad at shoring up their weaknesses.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I loving love this show, and Ippo's enormous hog. I'm on episode 45. Rooting for Barfmichi.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 16, 2019

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Show is good. Enjoy the show. If you get hung up on season 2 push through, season 3 is really great.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

DamnGlitch posted:

Show is good. Enjoy the show. If you get hung up on season 2 push through, season 3 is really great.

doesn't season 2 end with the best fight in all of HnI? i can't see anyone not wanting more if they make it that far

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oh my God Ippo get the gently caress out of this toxic work relationship.

"The coach didn't teach me to fight like that" No the problem is that coach never said stop doing stupid poo poo and called you on your weaknesses. It's his fault that you developed such bad habits.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he'll use The Left to lay out a long steaming greasy one on his desk to establish the new power dynamic

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I really liked this chapter, but goddamnit Ippo you can blame the coach, you followed everything he told you, if your fighting style went downwards it's because he didn't correct it during training.

I'm going to miss Ippo's shorter hair.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tbp posted:

doesn't season 2 end with the best fight in all of HnI? i can't see anyone not wanting more if they make it that far

In the manga certainly, but s2 as a whole and the hawk fight in particular were really disappointingly adapted, in my opinion. It’s drawn out in a weird way, looks goofy instead of intense, and the first season sound is missing so we get a way lamer soundtrack. s3, whatever flaws it may have, has the s1 ost style back, and the eagle fight (which I was luke warm on when I first read it in the manga after hawk) almost makes up for how poorly they did the hawk in s2

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Agreed ,the season 1 soundtrack is phenomenal and is part of what made the show so iconic. Season 2 is a real drag up until the Bryan Hawk fight because the fight’s before it aren’t very good or interesting and also paced poorly with a worse soundtrack to boot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

This manga's idea of coaching is that it's some bizarre position where the coach's role is just to provide the athlete the motivation to train themselves. Kamogawa is basically the father Ippo never had*, and his job is to simply "have expectations" of Ippo.

* I know Ippo technically had a father but no one remembers him so he doesn't count

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The S1 soundtrack is real goddamn good. The techno-ish track that plays during the Volg and Sendou rematch fights is great, wish I could find it.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Since I'm on the Volg episodes, I feel the need to defend Kamagawa: he gave Ippo the Gazelle Punch :colbert:

Didn't realize this was the manga thread. Sorry folks! I'll probably seek it out once this is over - the soundtrack and the voice actor playing Takamura are too good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kal-L posted:

if you block all punches with your face, your face will become invincible

that's how that works right???

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Yinlock posted:

if you block all punches with your face, your face will become invincible

that's how that works right???

So the problem is that Kamogawa did not employ a hammer to create the Ultimate Skull for Ippo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
IIRC Kamogawas training is really good at training his boxers to always aim their punches at vital points so that when they hit, they hurt. He's just not good at anything else

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It’s kinda sad and funny that he gave this advice since day one. Defense/counters? Nah gently caress that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well stuff like this had been pointed out in the past. Kamogawa was just bad in tell Ippo the exact answers, usually trying to get Ippo to figure it out himself. Kamogawa himself already said he failed Ippo by not properly explaining stuff to him.

Edit:Though what Kamogawa needs to do is explain to Ippo about how it was his fault for not teaching Ippo properly.

"I feel bad about ruining one of my most promising students' lives

not enough to actually change how i do things or whatever, but yknow it's kind of a downer"

he acts like explaining things to ippo is a qte, well i didn't press x in time so i guess i'll stay silent forever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Will there ever be a season 4 of the show

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I sure hope not

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

I sure hope not

We are not deserving of seeing the Woli fight animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

We are not deserving of seeing the Woli fight animated.
That'd be the kind of weird thing that I sorta don't expect to see, but then again I figured that we'd never get a season 3 of neither Index nor Full Metal Panic a few years ago, so what the hell do I know.

While I do agree that the soundtrack was inferior to that of Season 1, sound direction/"effect boxes" and voice acting still carried a lot of weight there. Rikiya Koyama was absolutely the MVP because he made Takamura sound positively feral at points.