Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

jeeves posted:

I put on Move Along Home for her, and she just kept repeating "what the gently caress?"

Now she gets pretty annoyed when I randomly say ALLAMARAINE or CHULA in response to when she asks me something.

I guess the relationship was good while it lasted. No regrets.

Does she still let you get to shap 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOghfXrbgG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

jeeves posted:

My spouse, who has been enjoying seeing the "good parts version" of DS9 that I've been showing to her once in a while (she fukken LOVED Bar Association because "wow it seems like characters actually grow on this show"), asked to see one of the stinker episodes to know what she's been missing.

I put on Move Along Home for her, and she just kept repeating "what the gently caress?"

Now she gets pretty annoyed when I randomly say ALLAMARAINE or CHULA in response to when she asks me something.

edit - She even admitted that "for a bad episode" it was no where near as bad as anything in S1 TNG. Of course I didn't spring Meridian or crossdressing Quark on her, as I would rather not get murdered in my sleep.

What the gently caress, Move Along Home is a Good Episode.

Also don't skip DS9 episodes, it isn't Voyager.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jeeves posted:

My spouse, who has been enjoying seeing the "good parts version" of DS9 that I've been showing to her once in a while (she fukken LOVED Bar Association because "wow it seems like characters actually grow on this show"), asked to see one of the stinker episodes to know what she's been missing.

edit - She even admitted that "for a bad episode" it was no where near as bad as anything in S1 TNG. Of course I didn't spring Meridian or crossdressing Quark on her, as I would rather not get murdered in my sleep.

Make sure that if she asks you a yes/no question you quickly and brusquely shout "HARDLY"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Put a big ol hopscotch grid on the hallway floor and sing the song anytime you leave the house.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Lt Commander Barkley, his arc is really cute and satisfying watching him go from a nervous wreck to a man who can actually offer suggestions with confidence. <3 Broccoli :3:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Make sure that if she asks you a yes/no question you quickly and brusquely shout "HARDLY"

Already done

Also this episode had the last showing of Lieutenant Somehow-worse-at-security-than-Odo whiteboy.

I really wish Trek had more random lower level characters, much like the above mentioned Barceley. DS9 had a whole cadre of characters, but it always felt like there were maybe 10 Star Fleets on the station ever. It would have been interesting to see more really low level guys cycle through.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 15, 2019

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Thom12255 posted:

The 7of9 and Janeway making out painting is hilarious considering the actor's relationship.

i believe 7 as janeway's lover was a popular fanfic. a friend told me this. a former friend

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

I like Lt Commander Barkley, his arc is really cute and satisfying watching him go from a nervous wreck to a man who can actually offer suggestions with confidence. <3 Broccoli :3:

Barclay's continued arc in Voyager is not the worst.

I like Move Along Home too. Why do people hate it?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Beachcomber posted:

Barclay's continued arc in Voyager is not the worst.

I like Move Along Home too. Why do people hate it?

They don't know how to have fun.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
It's only a game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that whole game episode because it actually subverts the terrible trope of "if you die in the game you die in real life!!" At the end they're all "lol of course it's safe it's a fuckin' game why would anyone make a game that would hurt people??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In the Time's Arrow 2-parter, Picard totally just tried to sound like he knew what Data was talking about :

Data: "My brother's positronic brain has a Type-L Phase Emitter, while I have a type-R"
Picard, in a conspicuously surprised sounding tone: "Type R?"

He totally interjected as if he knew what that meant while having no idea why it was relevant.
It's the equivalent of a plumber and astrophysicist talking, and at one point the plumber just blurts out "Oh yes, of course Quarks would do that..."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BioEnchanted posted:

Data: "My brother's positronic brain has a Type-L Phase Emitter, while I have a type-R"

No wonder Lore turned out evil, he's got a left-handed (or "sinister") phase emitter.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Powered Descent posted:

No wonder Lore turned out evil, he's got a left-handed (or "sinister") phase emitter.

Also it means Data is faster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Levar Burton in a recent CNN interview.

quote:

I’d settle with him having a date with somebody he didn’t invent on the Holodeck. If he could just have sex with a real person, I’d be so happy!

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/15/levar-burton-expects-star-trek-the-next-generation-cast-to-appear-on-picard-eventually/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Even Data had a real girlfriend.

DATA. AN ANDROID.

Geordie's game was wack.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gonz posted:

Even Data had a real girlfriend.

DATA. AN ANDROID.

Geordie's game was wack.

She was pretty mentally broken, though. Geordie could probably have gotten with an engineer, except that would be pretty verboten.

I'm still not sure why Picard was able to date Clarinet girl.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It's even sadder when you realize that his super visor probably made all the holograms appear like something out of Reboot. Instead of like actual human beings like it is for all the sighted people.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

dudeness posted:

It's even sadder when you realize that his super visor probably made all the holograms appear like something out of Reboot. Instead of like actual human beings like it is for all the sighted people.

:aaaaa:

In 32 years I have never thought of that!

Holodecks must have been pretty lame for Geordi. Could he even use them? Did he just see a bunch of forcefields and treadmills and wireframe people? :stonk:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

Holodecks must have been pretty lame for Geordi. Could he even use them? Did he just see a bunch of forcefields and treadmills and wireframe people? :stonk:

Maybe the holodeck has a Geordi Mode in which things are tuned to work better in VISOR vision, and which to everyone else appears like a swirling eldritch horror.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Geordi spent like a whole episode using the holodeck to CSI some missing persons body horror poo poo, so he must have got something out of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geordi could have got with the lady scientist who left the eugenics colony probably

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Pretty sure Transfigurations strongly suggests he got laid.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dudeness posted:

man riker's such a jerk

:v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
tho hexadecimal did have some bangin' titties

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
P sure Reboot had a whole Star Trek episode too

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Season 4 Episode 25, "In Theory"

Goofs
Data is seen asking Geordi for advice on women. Such an illogical action is out of character for the android.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 16, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Greatest Gen guys interviewed him briefly years ago and he jokingly said it was bullshit that Geordi never got laid

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He was rewatching TNG and twittering about it for a bit, talking about how much of a creep Geordi is and he never put it together when working on the show.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty sure Transfigurations strongly suggests he got laid.

It was strongly suggested that he was kinda brain-jobbed by the alien mind-link in that episode, though. And I seem to recall that after he hit on the woman successfully his being influenced by the neural whatsits was never mentioned again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I always thought it was stupid that the VISOR made it look like you saw in oil-in-water swirl cycled through TV static vision. He should have had...you know...human-type visuals. Except, to make the VISOR cool and good, add special engineering modes he could switch on and off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Giving Geordi some innate edge over a normal engineer would have been cool and distinctive, but I can’t even remember a single time the show highlighted Geordi’s engineering abilities as anything more than average. They always just had Wesley or Data puzzle things out. Shame, they shoulda just kept him as the Helm officer and found some 8th regular (but not Argyle) for engineer.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I always thought that was stupid, too. There's no reason he couldn't have had normal vision, with fancy modes he could turn on and off at will. There was an episode where he was on an away mission to a derelict ship or something, and they were piping what he was seeing to the viewscreen. Picard was like "wtfb how can you make any sense out of that poo poo" and he was like "you get used to it" which doesn't even make any sense because it's all he's ever known.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's the episode where he hangs out with the Romulan guy

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

There's so much gold from TOS and TNG they could be mining instead of stupid prequels featuring *~~:spock:~~*. God it's sad. I really hope the Picard show does some thoughtful revisiting, though not to an extent that makes the Trek universe even smaller than they've already made it.

It's interesting, in the 90s they clearly were trying to expand the Trek universe, DS9's premise being "We have perpetual access to the Gamma Quadrant, and we're focusing heavily on a pair of societies we haven't really done too much with yet" and Voyager being "We're exploring The Literal Entire Delta Quadrant" and ever since it seems like nobody currently running the show knows what to do with all of that. Two prequels, and nothing (until now) set after the 2370s. We've been stuck in the Alpha Quadrant since 2001, despite having 3/4 of the galaxy to work with.

jeeves posted:

Crossdressing Quark is the only episode of DS9 that I skipped. I already don't like the Ferengi, so Ferengi episodes were torturous for me. Add in transphobia to an already misogynist, vaguely antisemitic "comic relief" species that I despise and you have the perfect recipe for an episode designed to piss me off.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i think my new trek brag is gonna be that i do not find geordi vision that hard to interpret

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I always thought that was stupid, too. There's no reason he couldn't have had normal vision, with fancy modes he could turn on and off at will. There was an episode where he was on an away mission to a derelict ship or something, and they were piping what he was seeing to the viewscreen. Picard was like "wtfb how can you make any sense out of that poo poo" and he was like "you get used to it" which doesn't even make any sense because it's all he's ever known.

To be fair, that episode was in the first season and I don't think how Geordi sees was ever really brought up again in TNG. I kind of figured that he did have normal vision with overlays for different things that were controllable.

Wasn't there a scene in First Contact where Geordi is tracking Zefram Cochrane with heat vision and that was a special mode for his eyes?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
In First Contact, the zoom-in feature for his eyes should have made them telescope out like a cartoon character seeing an attractive lady.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

To be fair, that episode was in the first season and I don't think how Geordi sees was ever really brought up again in TNG.

It was a few times.

Picard asked Geordi to take a look at an alien ship though the windows because the sensors weren't giving them much.

There was "The Mind's Eye" where he was brainwashed.

There was "The Enemy" where he could see the beacon.

There was "The Masterpiece Society" where he could tell that there actually wasn't a fracture in the biosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

In First Contact, the zoom-in feature for his eyes should have made them telescope out like a cartoon character seeing an attractive lady.

Nah, it's a 3x optical, 16x digital zoom. Max zoom is just loving worthless, it's blocky and blurry.