Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SlowBloke posted:

There is a digos video (you can see it here https://www.ilmattino.it/primopiano/cronaca/missile_neo_nazisti_armi_arsenale_torino-4619766.html ) that show the arsenal in detail, including the missile. The transport canister has a clear production lot info (built date October 1980) and a rather unequivocable “built for Qatar” tag

Thanks for the link. Definitely 530F for F1EDAs. Probably from Libya (a lot of Qatari weapons "magically" found their way there).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

to the left belgian goons in the thread. I'm thinking of getting involved to address our social issues - inequality, rise of the fash, environmentalism. basic make the world a better place stuff. any tips on organisations or events where I can go to assist? I'm living in the ghent area.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Nah..but the warhead and the fuel are super usable.

I feels this is still prohibitively overcomplicated compared to just getting commercial explosives or stocking up on fertilizer. Like who hooked them up, how was this plan A.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MiddleOne posted:

I feels this is still prohibitively overcomplicated compared to just getting commercial explosives or stocking up on fertilizer. Like who hooked them up, how was this plan A.

Or, you know, just blackmarketing a 1000kg dumb gravity bomb instead.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I bet it was something stupid like the neo Nazis going to a arms dealer with "We want a missile that can shoot down a plane" and the arms dealer giving them what they asked for in a vaguely technically correct way because he was tired of storing that one missile and he knew they were too dumb to tell the difference.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They were trying to sell the missile, apparently. (Fighter plane sold separately.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

They were trying to sell the missile, apparently. (Fighter plane sold separately.)

like to imagine they were caught by some Italian policeman browsing ebay.it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Junior G-man posted:

I wouldn't read too much into Selmayr's shady dealing above self-preservation and ambition.

Oh then it's all right, nothing bad ever came from that :)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That looks like a French Super 530.

What the hell were they planning to do with it? It's not like you can launch it without like, a French fighter aircraft. Plus what kind of state/non-state actor is going to buy a single outdated air to air missile?

Can you rig missiles to fly straight ahead and detonate on explosion? Even on the old ones there's probably a bunch of safeties that need to be bypassed, maybe it's only triggered by infrared and would ineffectively plop against the building it's aimed at. Aren't AA missiles basically HE and shrapnel anyway? Seems like itd make an awkward bomb. Then again I guess thats just the kind of terrible hardships that come with being a Nazi asshat.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can you rig missiles to fly straight ahead and detonate on explosion? Even on the old ones there's probably a bunch of safeties that need to be bypassed, maybe it's only triggered by infrared and would ineffectively plop against the building it's aimed at. Aren't AA missiles basically HE and shrapnel anyway? Seems like itd make an awkward bomb. Then again I guess thats just the kind of terrible hardships that come with being a Nazi asshat.

If the wiki is correct the missile homes on a radar guidance feed, so I don’t think heat will have any effect. Given the missile age I don’t know if the warhead or rocket are still good or they have fizzled out.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 15, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia probably wants the avionics package from the missile.

If they can get their hands on a super5 they could definitely have had access to plastic explosives
Theyd have been better selling the super5 to russia and buying explosives than trying to rewire it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia probably wants the avionics package from the missile.

I doubt it considering it was state of the art in 1979.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I doubt it considering it was state of the art in 1979.

But it works. And it has known NATO identification markers on it. Its the most usable piece of the missile which is also the hardest to find.
While some random nazis dont have the capability to use it, Russia does.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

But it works. And it has known NATO identification markers on it. Its the most usable piece of the missile which is also the hardest to find.

I mean if by usable you mean not usable with any Russian aircraft then yes. Not to mention there's nothing to be gained technologically from analyzing it now since anything Russia has far exceeds it at this point. Even if they wanted to look at one they probably already did back when they were still the Soviet Union considering France sold them to drat near everyone including Iraq, Egypt, India, and Libya. It wouldn't have been that hard to get.

Like that's the weirdest thing about this, there's really no sane reason for these guys to acquire one. They can't use it, nobody who could use it would buy it since they'd have it already, and there's no real conceivable buyer in any other case. It's just so shockingly stupid.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 15, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

thanks louise

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

double nine posted:

to the left belgian goons in the thread. I'm thinking of getting involved to address our social issues - inequality, rise of the fash, environmentalism. basic make the world a better place stuff. any tips on organisations or events where I can go to assist? I'm living in the ghent area.

I'm not much involved with organisations at the moment, but I've been hearing some good things about vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen. Also, you can always lend your monetary support to critical lefty journalism in publications like Apache and Lava Media.

https://www.vluchtelingenwerk.be/

https://www.apache.be/

https://lavamedia.be/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean if by usable you mean not usable with any Russian aircraft then yes. Not to mention there's nothing to be gained technologically from analyzing it now since anything Russia has far exceeds it at this point. Even if they wanted to look at one they probably already did back when they were still the Soviet Union considering France sold them to drat near everyone including Iraq, Egypt, India, and Libya. It wouldn't have been that hard to get.

Like that's the weirdest thing about this, there's really no sane reason for these guys to acquire one. They can't use it, nobody who could use it would buy it since they'd have it already, and there's no real conceivable buyer in any other case. It's just so shockingly stupid.

it's probably for propaganda op

"we have got an AA missile" is a pretty fun thing to be able to say when you're a weirdo fascist paramilitary group. if you can't fire it and are trying to flog the loving thing that's still you with your mitts on sophisticated military hardware

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean one of the other potential uses is wiring it to blow as as stationary bomb, although I'm not sure your average fash is smart enough to deal with warhead circuitry.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Voting in the EP to confirm Von der Leyen will begin in Strasbourg around 18.00, should have the results around 19.30 CET tonight.

The Greens have already stated their opposition, but the S&D will most likely vote to confirm, locking her in. The Spanish, Italian and other S&D prime ministers are pushing hard for her confirmation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Was there an actually good alternative to her or is she the least crap?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tesseraction posted:

She's probably the least realistic alternative, unless parliament found a spine and just voted down everyone until the EU heads nominate Weber or Timmermans or Vestager.

She's still crap though.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

They were all pretty bad, including VDL, who is still under investigation by the German parliament for really weird consultant hiring practicing at the defense ministry.

I dunno, the best one that actually stood a chance was probably Timmermans, but he won't get it because Poland and Hungary don't like it that he pointed out that they're awful and harming rule of law.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tesseraction posted:

I mean one of the other potential uses is wiring it to blow as as stationary bomb, although I'm not sure your average fash is smart enough to deal with warhead circuitry.

I imagine the more effective use of it would be to sell it and use the money to expand the actually usable arsenal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

I imagine the more effective use of it would be to sell it and use the money to expand the actually usable arsenal.

"We need more swastikas to furnish our LARP arsenal"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

That is, in fact, what they were trying to do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tesseraction posted:

"We need more swastikas to furnish our LARP arsenal"

Hey iron crosses arent cheap

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Apparently, Ursula received just enough votes to get the job.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Torrannor posted:

Apparently, Ursula received just enough votes to get the job.

383 ayes, 327 no's apparently. Can't say I'm very happy, Timmermans isn't exactly a true leftist and has made a lot of enemies, both in Brussels and in The Hague, but he's a much better candidate still.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The next EU budget will include an additional €135bn for hiring consultants, and some seemingly solid pieces of major infrastructure will spontaneously start falling apart.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Why didn't Timmermans want to return to the post again?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

An insane mind posted:

Why didn't Timmermans want to return to the post again?

He was the Spitzenkandidat for S&D but, unfortunately, made lot of people in Poland and Hungary angry by accurately describing their opposition to the rule of law and authoritarian-esque government. The push-back from Orbán and Law and Justice, combined with the disappointing result for S&D in the EU elections (though, totally unexpected Timmerman's PVDA did really well, becoming the biggest Dutch party in the parliament, even though the party is not even the biggest left-party in the Netherlands) probably led to Timmerman's complete lack of chances.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
He's also been nominated by NL to return to his old post and continue doing what he was doing.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I must have had a giant brainfart yesterday, I know who Timmermans is...I'm loving Dutch myself.

Oh poo poo, am I getting alzheimer's...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A bit bummed that Vestager didn't get the spot, if only because it would have pissed Trump off gloriously after the comments he made.

There was supposedly a lot of politicking about the exact relative power and authority of Vestager and Timmermans as deputies under VDL. It's going to be interesting to see how that shakes out into concrete areas of responsibility.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Slashrat posted:

A bit bummed that Vestager didn't get the spot, if only because it would have pissed Trump off gloriously after the comments he made.

There was supposedly a lot of politicking about the exact relative power and authority of Vestager and Timmermans as deputies under VDL. It's going to be interesting to see how that shakes out into concrete areas of responsibility.
where can i read up on stuff like this?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't know where to find an english-language source for it. Most of the coverage I've seen is in the danish press because Vestager has become a bit of a national rockstar for her efforts as Commissioner for Competition, and so the press is obsessed about following her career trajectory in realtime right now.

The gist of it that I got was that Vestager's position as deputy of the highest rank was one of ALDE's conditions for voting for Ursula von der Leyen, so the danish press at least tried to make it out as if there was a bit of furor when VDL later commented that Timmermans would be her ranking deputy. The messaging since seems to be that it's just a matter of protocol, with Timmermans and Vestager set to wield equal authority in practice.

e: this article gets a bit into it toward the end https://www.politico.eu/article/von-der-leyen-promises-the-earth-and-more-in-push-for-eu-top-job-eu-commission-presidency/

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 17, 2019

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Danish links are fine, even if most readers can't speak it, machine translation does Scandinavian <-> English really easily.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LMAO sometimes the EU still manages to surprise me:

quote:

Ombudsman opens inquiry into private sponsorship of Council presidencies

The European Ombudsman launched an inquiry into the private company sponsorship of the rotating presidencies of the Council of the EU, according to an announcement today.

That follows a complaint by international NGO Foodwatch criticizing the sponsorship of the Romanian presidency by Coca-Cola.

The NGO in February said it was “unacceptable” that the drinks producer was permitted to sponsor the presidency while Romania was overseeing discussions on, for example, revisions to the General Food Law or packaging rules. “This damages the independence and credibility of politics,” Thilo Bode, Foodwatch’s executive director, wrote at the time.

Informing the Council of her decision to launch an inquiry, Ombudsman Emily O’Reilly said the institution could consider amending its guidelines on how the presidencies are organized.

In a letter to Council Secretary-General Jeppe Tranholm‐Mikkelsen dated Monday, O’Reilly said the Council’s initial response — that it held no responsibility for presidency sponsorship arrangements — does not hold. She wrote that the presidency is “functionally part of the Council” and that “it is difficult to see why” the Council should not address or comment on the issue.

She asked the Council to respond by a deadline of September 13.

Finland, which holds the current presidency, told EUObserver this week it had no plans to discuss the issue with other countries.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO regulatory capture is so easy with a willing liberal government

There's something to be said about abolishing the rotating presidency, it works okay as a PR exercise but stuff like this probably shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The Raytheon president of the Council of Europe *Freude schöner Götterfunken plays*