Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

i'm playing the game and it's a hoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tuo posted:

I remember misjumpering a loving expensive six-channel workstation-level ATA RAID system once, can't even remember the manufacture. Took half a day to get it working, and three weeks later, a firmware update killed the whole thing. Support (rightly so) simply answered with "lol, RAID is no backup, fool, just restore from backup".

Good days, good days ;) (of course I didn't have a backup, because I planned to get that up and running next

e: Promise :argh:

ATA...pffft. Try SCSI. You need to calculate binary in your head to set the device ID from 0-15.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It is in quite a few games! They're just mostly MOBAs, unfortunately, and come with all the MOBA trappings that ruin the enjoyment of the game for everyone except those who are already good at/enjoy MOBAs.

Too bad, because I've always wanted that same thing - a Battlefield-like game where the players play the heroes, and I always enjoy every game that meshes co-op and PvP. Titanfall 2, Destiny 2's gambit mode, L4D's versus mode... All of them are a ton of fun, and Dark Souls' very different (but also very fun) form of invasion appeals a lot to me, and I'm looking forward to Doom Eternal's version of it.

On the flipside, bots designed to feel like players... Are not fun. I remember buying Brink on release for Xbox 360 (I know, I know) and a particular problem for the version on that platform was that the servers (or peer-to-peer connection, whatever it was in that game) couldn't actually handle enough people to fill up a game, so every game would be more than half bots. It got even worse once the player count (very quickly) dipped too low to sustain any full games, but even on launch, almost every game I played was half or more bots, and you could REALLY tell.

Yeah, basically like Dynasty Warriors, with thousands of mooks and players as officers, but that series has tanked lately.

I remember Quake 3's bots would occasionally say things in chat, that was cute. But generally speaking when you're making bots, you don't want them to be smart. You WANT them to be predictable by the player.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So will the AI know to run and jump out of windows to save time?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The computer is perfect and will only perform optimal actions that are simultaneously visually pleasing to all human players within a preset radius.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So will the AI know to run and jump out of windows to save time?

CIG will gradually criminalize all behavior that is not lifeless and robotic- running and jumping will kill you, flying outside your traffic lane will get you shot by police, no pulling out your guns where someone else might see you etc.

When the players and NPC's are indistinguishable because players aren't allowed to actually do anything, Chris will know he has finally saved PC gaming.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Any work on Microchannel?

No, that was IBM only, and we could only afford knoc^h^h^h licensed hardware.

Contingency posted:

Would it not be PR ratings instead? In the Pentium era, if Intel had a 200 MHz Pentium, AMD and Cyrix had a "PR-200" or similar that was clocked lower than 200 MHz. It was supposed to be Pentium-equivalent. It wasn't.

This was pre-Pentium; tail end of the 80486 and the days of competing SSE and microcode that meant absolutely nothing to the end consumer. 'It's ST' and Cyrix would exit the processor fab marketplace with the Pentium. I think IBM gave up at some point, too.

My processor stash does have an AMD K5 with a PR-100 marking though. I did think I had some Cyrix, but they weren't popular compared with some of the other chips fabs. I'm fairly sure that I have more processors than this, but my plan to mount these in a frame has slid, and slid...

I have a similar plan for a full-height MFM 10Mb hard drive. It's like two house bricks, but comparing it with a common or garden microsd card has just entered the ludicrous stakes.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah that was there angle, it was always funny, they were the poo poo tier PC which was fine, but Cyrix was all "aaactually it says 233 right on the chip :smug:" and it just totally wasn't - I have loads of fun memories from back then, that shop was a pit of financial despair but a constant laugh

233 was one of the more problematic base x multipliers as I recall.

TheAgent posted:

lol that no mans sky is adding another free giant expansion, that changes them from opengl to vulkan and gives full VR support (including consoles)

just lol

See, it is possible for a company to completely turn things around....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The computer is perfect and will only perform optimal actions that are simultaneously visually pleasing to all human players within a preset radius.

In Alpha Complex, Entities cull you.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Putting my cat to sleep in about an hour.

:(

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

:< I'm sorry man.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

Awww gently caress :(
Sorry dude

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

You gave it the best life you could, and I'm sure it appreciated everything you did for it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Sorry to hear that, friend. :(

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

XK posted:

Peace be with your Catte friend.

Be strong. <3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

XK posted:

If its any consolation, one of my cats was pretty sick but showed significant signs of recovery so I didn't put him down, and then he ended up passing in a pretty tough way. :( This world we live in is just very cruel.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

Not a fun thing.

My sympathies.

`

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What is the place with the elevators or trains or poo poo like that, lots of NPCs etc? What planet do I go to etc, I have no desire to try and find out in game but would to go there for good times and space adventure

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
I'm not sure I've ever heard a worse excuse for incompetence.

Star Citizen: Sometimes, you have to step backwards to go forward

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It is done.

It was hard, but I had to help my little buddy.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

XK posted:

It is done.

Sorry guy. I've done it for a pup, and yeah it had to be done but it still hurts.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Hav posted:

No, that was IBM only, and we could only afford knoc^h^h^h licensed hardware.

This was pre-Pentium; tail end of the 80486 and the days of competing SSE and microcode that meant absolutely nothing to the end consumer. 'It's ST' and Cyrix would exit the processor fab marketplace with the Pentium. I think IBM gave up at some point, too.

My processor stash does have an AMD K5 with a PR-100 marking though. I did think I had some Cyrix, but they weren't popular compared with some of the other chips fabs. I'm fairly sure that I have more processors than this, but my plan to mount these in a frame has slid, and slid...

I have a similar plan for a full-height MFM 10Mb hard drive. It's like two house bricks, but comparing it with a common or garden microsd card has just entered the ludicrous stakes.

233 was one of the more problematic base x multipliers as I recall.

See, it is possible for a company to completely turn things around....

I used to have the NexGen586-P90 thinking it would run better than the Pentiums. It didn't.
But it ran way better than the K5.
Which made AMD buy the company a year or two later.
It had no math co-pro meaning a lot of programs ran like crap on it, like 3DS MAX.
I've stuck with Intel ever since.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

What is the place with the elevators or trains or poo poo like that, lots of NPCs etc? What planet do I go to etc, I have no desire to try and find out in game but would to go there for good times and space adventure

Loreville on Hurston has trains and elevators

Area 18 on ArcCorp has a very long ride on a space bus and also it's basically impossible to land at unless you know where the spaceport is, like seriously that poo poo is not marked well

When you're looking at the star map, hold down the middle mouse button and move the mouse to zoom in and out- scrolling the wheel doesn't zoom far enough. Yes, I know it's terrible. Your targets are the planets on the far side of the system. Be prepared for 20+ minutes of flight time if you're in a small ship.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

When you're looking at the star map, hold down the middle mouse button and move the mouse to zoom in and out- scrolling the wheel doesn't zoom far enough.

I never knew that - it explains why I could never zoom out far enough to see the whole star system when I was trying to plot a route. Used to frustrate the poo poo out of me back when I had SC installed.

I guess that's CIG for you - taking decades' worth of generally accepted UI functionality and replacing it with something that's counter-intuitive and much much worse.

I'm starting to think you're onto something Sarsapariller - there is a gremlin which lives inside Star Citizen, and its mission in life is to obfuscate, confuse and suck the fun out of anything the "game" might accidentally get right.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

It is done.

Hardest thing you can ever do. Hang in there.

Dogeh posted:

I used to have the NexGen586-P90 thinking it would run better than the Pentiums. It didn't.
But it ran way better than the K5.
Which made AMD buy the company a year or two later.
It had no math co-pro meaning a lot of programs ran like crap on it, like 3DS MAX.
I've stuck with Intel ever since.

Hmm. 386’s had the 387 socket for the co-processor for math. 486SX was partially crippled versions of the DX that couldn’t hit the fabbing levels, but I don’t know of a pentium without a maths processor, but I didn’t touch the NexGen stuff. I think I still have the 387 floating around.

A bunch of really dodgy computing is coming flooding back, though. Like when the athlons came with external traces for the cores, and you could use a conductive pen to join some dots on the substrate.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Grubby Hobo posted:

I'm not sure I've ever heard a worse excuse for incompetence.

Star Citizen: Sometimes, you have to step backwards to go forward

If sprinting backwards at cheetah speeds for the last 7 years is going forward, then ya they are doing fine.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

XK posted:

It is done.

Condolences :( it's always hard but at least your little friend left this world loved

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Imagine being lethality and getting dunked by both fans and haters all the time.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

XK posted:

It is done.

My deepest, deepest condolences. Even when it's the best thing you can do, it's still utterly heartbreaking; hang in there, and try to keep in mind all the good, happy years you got to spend with them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

Hardest thing you can ever do. Hang in there.

Hmm. 386’s had the 387 socket for the co-processor for math. 486SX was partially crippled versions of the DX that couldn’t hit the fabbing levels, but I don’t know of a pentium without a maths processor, but I didn’t touch the NexGen stuff. I think I still have the 387 floating around.

A bunch of really dodgy computing is coming flooding back, though. Like when the athlons came with external traces for the cores, and you could use a conductive pen to join some dots on the substrate.

Yes, cool I had the FDIV error.

Thanks Intel.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

It is done.

Condolences man

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

XK posted:

It is done.

Sorry, my friend.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

IBM still makes POWER processors.. they're inside iSeries machines.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

zcrow posted:

argon bear cuntiflas fud parp.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

XK posted:

It is done.

Was your furry friend a star citizen backer? You should petition CI!G to have your catte immortalized in the BDSSE :downs:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

XK posted:

It is done.

I’m sorry about your cat XK. It sucks, but if your meowdogge was suffering you did the right thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Goondolences on the cat. Always hard, glad you were there to the end.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The sub is making better jokes than we are these days

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

coupedeville posted:

Was your furry friend a star citizen backer? You should petition CI!G to have your catte immortalized in the BDSSE :downs:

If the time comes to put my aging cat to sleep, I’ll tell him all about Star Citizen so that he’ll welcome the cold embrace of oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

The sub is making better jokes than we are these days

:grin::perfect::bravo::five: