Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Replaying the REmake and I appreciate capcom putting in the effort to make sure that jills titties bounce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Jiggle physics is the backbone of gaming

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

The best gun/blade hybrid was Sam’s katana in MGRR, which used a blank to blast the sword out of the scabbard so he had power assist for those cool draw-becomes-slash samurai moves.

The MGS universe also uses the vibration=cutting power thing, the HF in “HF blade” stands for High Frequency.

You can thank Star Wars for vibrating weapons. Those axes the pig guards carry are actually vibroblades, which operate similarly to the high frequency weapons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the wild westworld DLC for The Surge you can get your hands on an old school hunting rifle with a bayonet. The Surge being a game with exclusively melee combat, you do not use it like a gun, it is instead swung wildly around and poked with like a spear while bullets fire off randomly in all directions every couple of swings. Naturally the bullets do big damage if they actually hit something, but most of them fly off into the stratosphere, never to be seen again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wanted By Weed posted:

You can thank Star Wars for vibrating weapons. Those axes the pig guards carry are actually vibroblades, which operate similarly to the high frequency weapons.

The real life version is a 'harmonic' blade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_scalpel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a balista, not what we think of as a gun, called Domina Gunilda which was at windsor castle. Gunilda in the name comes from the womans name Gunnhildr (note same name as the queen) which is basically slamming two norse words for battles and fighting together. So FFXIV pays tribute to both parts of Gun as a words origin.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Gunblades are so 1999 anyway, XIV has long since transcended such things. How about a gunhalberd?

That’s far from the strongest of spears!

I love Gilgamesh so much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

Specifically:

They're called Gunblades not because of gun + blade, but because they were used by the royal guard of Queen Gunnhildr. They were known as Gunnhildr's Blades. The Garlean Empire saw that and made vastly inferior version that were bad at stabbing, so they removed the blade part for the most part. FF14 has regular guns too.

Except that, as I said, regular guns (and gunblades) exist in every single style and culture in the game, including ones that predate both of these cultures and weird supernatural forms that are totally disconnected to both.

Don't think about it too hard. Or do, because it's hilarious.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Babe Magnet posted:

Specifically:

They're called Gunblades not because of gun + blade, but because they were used by the royal guard of Queen Gunnhildr. They were known as Gunnhildr's Blades. The Garlean Empire saw that and made vastly inferior version that were bad at stabbing, so they removed the blade part for the most part. FF14 has regular guns too.

backwards etymology is the best

That's actually the real etymology for the word gun, though? From the name Gunhildr/Gunhilda.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Lee posted:

That's actually the real etymology for the word gun, though? From the name Gunhildr/Gunhilda.

Yeah but FF14 has the extra step of the word Gunblade coming before the word Gun.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

I hate that, when you lose to a miniboss in Sekiro, most of the time they're left so undamaged it's like all you did was walk up and smack them with a paper fan. On the other hand, though, when the stars align and you can pull off a really good fight, you just deny every single one of their attacks and stomp them into the dirt. I mean, I've had my fair share of fights where I just barely won by abusing pocket sand and repeatedly lighting the enemy on fire, but kicking the absolute poo poo out of Snake Eyes Shirafuji while taking almost no damage feels great, even after you just lost that same fight 20 times in a row. A little weird that most minibosses have thus far proven to be much harder than the actual bosses.

Sekiro also does a great job of showing off the difference in skill between a bandit or footsoldier and a talented samurai/elite spearman/ninja. You don't beat the weak guys because they have no health, but because their attacks are basic and predictable, and they can't properly predict or block your attacks at all. They seem inexperienced, and the bandits have to rely on kicking mud in your eyes and feinting. The tough guys are tough because they deflect your attacks, counterattack quickly, and have lots of tools to do things like break through your guard, because they're well-trained and have been fighting for a long time (they also have a lot of health but whatever they usually wear armor anyway).

This becomes extremely apparent on NG+, when you face off against the starting enemies with a much stronger grasp of the game and can effortlessly cut them down in droves, and a seemingly unwinnable boss fight becomes very managable

I can understand why a lot of people bounced off Sekiro hard, because it relies entirely on single set of mechanics with very tight expectations, but boy if they aren't well executed

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but it turns out there were a lot of FFXIV players who did not know this until now, myself included.

https://twitter.com/SleepyBasilisk/status/1146732835186679808

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Lee posted:

And the bazooka is named after an instrument.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
According to the most recent God of War there is also a Valkyrie called Gunnr

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

There was, and the etymology of gunnr is "battle" and I think the name Gunhilda has its roots in combining Gunnr and Hilda (who was also a Valkyrie) so I guess in a roundabout way it's a sensible name?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Gunnar is also a norse name.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm playing through Sleeping Dogs again and I discovered a new way to kill people that I'd never noticed before (hang them from a chandelier) but what I'm really noticing this time is how good the emergency services systems are. When you injure somebody an ambulance is dispatched and paramedics try to resuscitate. I got into a sticky situation and accidentally pulled a hit and run on a pedestrian. While trying to evade the police I cut a sharp right and slam straight into the ambulance arriving for my victims. If they rescussitate then they go back to their NPC lifestyle, otherwise it's bodybag time.

I'm also enjoying the role playing afforded by the costumes. I pulled a GTA massacre then returned to the scene of the crime a few mins later incognito:

Also it's fun to try and break missions. There's one where you need to arrive in a vehicle and whatever you arrived in is parked outside. It works fine for a city bus, next is to see if they'll park a speedboat:

E: Also there's side missions where you basically spy on people to try and catch drug dealers. Each location has a few spots where you have to hack the camera then go to one of your apartments and watch the feed to catch the guy. After you catch the main dealers in each location there's no repeat but if you want to you can still access all the cameras from your TV. You can also still call out arrests on anyone you see in frame. If you call an arrest on a random bystander there's even dialogue for it! Usually it's just "why did you want us to book this guy, he seems harmless?" but occasionally you get praised for catching a guy that nobody had a lead on (except for you apparently).

Lastly, there's still nothing quite like a cutscene where Wei denies being a cop while in full uniform. :discourse:

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Casey Finnigan posted:

I hate that, when you lose to a miniboss in Sekiro, most of the time they're left so undamaged it's like all you did was walk up and smack them with a paper fan. On the other hand, though, when the stars align and you can pull off a really good fight, you just deny every single one of their attacks and stomp them into the dirt. I mean, I've had my fair share of fights where I just barely won by abusing pocket sand and repeatedly lighting the enemy on fire, but kicking the absolute poo poo out of Snake Eyes Shirafuji while taking almost no damage feels great, even after you just lost that same fight 20 times in a row. A little weird that most minibosses have thus far proven to be much harder than the actual bosses.

Sekiro also does a great job of showing off the difference in skill between a bandit or footsoldier and a talented samurai/elite spearman/ninja. You don't beat the weak guys because they have no health, but because their attacks are basic and predictable, and they can't properly predict or block your attacks at all. They seem inexperienced, and the bandits have to rely on kicking mud in your eyes and feinting. The tough guys are tough because they deflect your attacks, counterattack quickly, and have lots of tools to do things like break through your guard, because they're well-trained and have been fighting for a long time (they also have a lot of health but whatever they usually wear armor anyway). I complained at first that Wolf seems like a bad ninja because of all the dying and retrying, but really as you go through the game you end up trudging through poo poo that would stop an entire army in its tracks, and it's not like your opponents are fighting fair at all. Honestly, Wolf faces such a comically, ridiculously large amount of resistance I gotta wonder if the game is indicating that he's just deliberately picking the most difficult route on purpose.

It's a very cool piece of design I think because it means when you crack a boss you destroy them quickly rather than whittling them down perfectly over 10-15 minutes.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It's a very cool piece of design I think because it means when you crack a boss you destroy them quickly rather than whittling them down perfectly over 10-15 minutes.

There's an amazing feeling of progress when taking on a boss in sekiro. The moment where you switch from being on the back foot and playing purely defensively to feeling confident enough to be hyper aggressive is incredible.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

cohsae posted:

There's an amazing feeling of progress when taking on a boss in sekiro. The moment where you switch from being on the back foot and playing purely defensively to feeling confident enough to be hyper aggressive is incredible.

Yeah. The Dark Souls games were like withstanding crashing waves, and Sekiro is like learning to surf. It's a really interesting evolution in game design.

Edit: Bloodborne is like fighting spindly Muppets in a tophat and doesn't quite fit into my analogy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

heckyeahpathy posted:

Yeah. The Dark Souls games were like withstanding crashing waves, and Sekiro is like learning to surf. It's a really interesting evolution in game design.

Edit: Bloodborne is like fighting spindly Muppets in a tophat and doesn't quite fit into my analogy

Bloodborne is running up and punching that wave right in its stupid face.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

1stGear posted:

And then it goes 'Uhh why would you punch a wave?' and you drown.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a boss in Heavenly Sword where you have to literally fight waves (the boss generates them and you have to attack them to neutralize).

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

All of my units in Warhammer Total War have desynchronized animations while they march except for... the reanimated skeletons! Looks like something right out of the old stop motion movies :3:

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Riatsala posted:

All of my units in Warhammer Total War have desynchronized animations while they march except for... the reanimated skeletons! Looks like something right out of the old stop motion movies :3:

A further nice touch: this is only true for the Vampire Counts skeletons, which are mindless minions. The Tomb Kings, who are a faction of free-willed undead, don't do this animation syncing with any of their skeleton troops, as their skeleton soldiers are still the original soul stuffed back in their body and faithfully serving their Kings out of loyalty.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Riatsala posted:

IIRC they're a direct reference to the Ray Harryhausen animation, which is why they've also got that really jerky stop motion flair to them that none of the other units have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

There's a boss in Heavenly Sword where you have to literally fight waves (the boss generates them and you have to attack them to neutralize).

I. Hear. A. Sound... :shepface:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

1stGear posted:

The wave then twists and cracks and bones emerge from the wave in a shower of blood to form a wave monster from the land of nightmares

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

AND THEN WE PUNCH THAT IN THE FACE TOO

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The wave has a baby and it’s simultaneously terrified of you and wants you dead more than anything you have ever seen before.

God drat do I love the Orphan fight. :unsmigghh:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Shadow Warrior 2: If you try to reload a weapon that's already full, Wang will instead do a little flair with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtN0Fdm0Joc

unrelated wang, NSFW warning just in case:

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Spoiler tags are useless for NSFW content. The picture still ends up cached, and some places will sack you based on that alone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ubachung posted:

Spoiler tags are useless for NSFW content. The picture still ends up cached, and some places will sack you based on that alone.

So don't browse the forums on your work computer? You know it's a risk, so use your phone.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I'm not browsing at work, I'm thinking of others, not myself. It's common loving courtesy and something mods have brought up repeatedly in the past.

ubachung has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jul 19, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

So don't browse the forums on your work computer? You know it's a risk, so use your phone.

It's also not okay per forum rules

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ubachung posted:

I'm not browsing at work, I'm thinking of others, not myself. It's common loving courtesy and something mods have brought up repeatedly in the past.

I have literally never seen this complaint before.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You missed the pinned thread that was something along the lines of "Stop spoiler tagging NSFW poo poo you loving morons"? It was from back around the time that became a thing you could do but I don't remember if it was just in GBS or an announcement

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Len posted:

You missed the pinned thread that was something along the lines of "Stop spoiler tagging NSFW poo poo you loving morons"? It was from back around the time that became a thing you could do but I don't remember if it was just in GBS or an announcement

I did miss that! If it was in GBS that explains it as I don't go in there.

Well today I learned a thing.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have literally never read one of your posts before, I guess you don't exist.

Edit: sorry, Tiggum probably deserves the snark more than you do

ubachung has a new favorite as of 11:23 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:a2m: :mamacita: :gizz:
Sorry for your jobs, everyone.