Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Looper posted:

I'm still at work and won't get to play this until later but I've gotta say I'm impressed by your sense of aesthetics. I've seen a of people (including myself) complain about it being tough to get good course decorations going in the sm3dw theme but you're really getting the most out of it in your courses

Seconded. I love the mechanisms used to stir the hive, too. Amazingly creative stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll give that level a shot when I'm more awake too, why the heck not.

Though that said gonna go ahead and plonk this down. Been working on making an entire Metroid-ish adventure for you guys over the past couple days!!

A old concept I wanted to try again where you have to get powers to progress through a hostile planetoid, do some minor backtracking here and there and find a way off a dangerous planet!! It even includes a (very) brief escape sequence!! Get suited up and get out of there!

If you find any sequence breaks that I overlooked uh... we'll just pretend it was intended :shobon:

This was fun. I generally stay away from Metroid stuff because i get lost on 2d games easily. I liked this one though. You could have been a dick about getting and regetting powerrups but you weren’t. The areas flowed well and had the right type and number of enemies too.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

dudeness posted:

Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

Simple puzzle solving to get the red coins followed by a boss fight, it's a bit of a long level but I think it's pretty straight forward. It's not my "for kids" level because it's probably too hard for that and I started work on it before that was announced.

Shouldn't be too difficult for someone experienced in SMW, but I'm also a terrible judge of difficulty.

Aw yeah! That felt good. Got all the red coins. I destroyed that ship!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll give that level a shot when I'm more awake too, why the heck not.

Though that said gonna go ahead and plonk this down. Been working on making an entire Metroid-ish adventure for you guys over the past couple days!!

A old concept I wanted to try again where you have to get powers to progress through a hostile planetoid, do some minor backtracking here and there and find a way off a dangerous planet!! It even includes a (very) brief escape sequence!! Get suited up and get out of there!

If you find any sequence breaks that I overlooked uh... we'll just pretend it was intended :shobon:

This was spectacular.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 16, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That honeycomb level was unbeelievable

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That honeycomb level was unbeelievable

I loved the aesthetic it was so clever but nothing felt like they had to shoe hornet in

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aw yeah, up to 500 levels in the sheet played. Just in time for... wait, it's not at 900 yet? I'm actually past a halfway point for the time being?!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Jam review of Slidetide Pools, guestwritten by Daughter Cedricson, age 5.

"This is a hard one. Why don't you try this part? *is told 'no, this is a kid's level* Maybe we should let Mommy try."

"I don't understand how slide jumps work." *Has it explained and demonstrated* Oh okay. *Takes a leap from the very top of the hill* I like to do it MY way."

"I like the room with the pipes. It is nice except for I never got to the pipe that 3 and 0 coin in there. [sic]"

"Can we play my level?"

Haschelnote: I thought this was a great level. I am so sorry.

haha, i'm glad they found the secret.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Found an interesting Youtube video about how to gate singleplayer and multiplayer routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kSJB-a3Ig

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is really cool!

I just uploaded a remake of one of my MM1 levels that I've been wanting to re-do:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looper posted:

I'm still at work and won't get to play this until later but I've gotta say I'm impressed by your sense of aesthetics. I've seen a of people (including myself) complain about it being tough to get good course decorations going in the sm3dw theme but you're really getting the most out of it in your courses

That really was a good looking level! Was the end of it after that little heartbeat trap? I died to it in a panic before figuring it out, I'm assuming IO can consider it beaten if that was the onyl bit left? I really liked this honey/lava theme.

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is really cool!

I just uploaded a remake of one of my MM1 levels that I've been wanting to re-do:

This one was rad! I really like this on tracks theme. I think I just got inspiration for my next level, pow!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 16, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Khanstant posted:

That really was a good looking level! Was the end of it after that little heartbeat trap? I died to it in a panic before figuring it out, I'm assuming IO can consider it beaten if that was the onyl bit left? I really liked this honey/lava theme.

Yeah that's the last part. Its just supposed to be another "oh poo poo" moment, but not actually dangerous since all you have to do is go right down the pipe to survive.

Problem is, I positioned the POW block and the warp block in such a way that you are likely to accidentally pick up the POW block while running into the warp block. then you drop the POW block when you warp, which triggers the bees, turning it from a "haha scary bees :)" moment into "oh I'm loving dead".

One of those little things you wish you could edit without having to delete a whole course.

The Lobster posted:

Found an interesting Youtube video about how to gate singleplayer and multiplayer routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kSJB-a3Ig

That's a pretty cool thing nobody is gonna bother making for their puzzle levels.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Good Sphere posted:

I just played a great level, with an amazing ending, if not a bit irritating, but it was rewarding to finish.

W3L-09F-FRF

Holy poo poo this was good.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

I just played a great level, with an amazing ending, if not a bit irritating, but it was rewarding to finish.

W3L-09F-FRF

The parts avoiding the flame bars feel good, but the boss fight is utter dogshit. Bowser is way to random for an enclosed space and you have to wait him out to boot.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Storming Treasury Tower

The Koopas are keeping their stolen gold at the top of the tower. Steal it back, Mario!

-----------------------------------

I've worked on this one for the past few nights, and I kind of liked working vertically instead of the traditional horizontal. It forced me to pay attention to where players could fall, and when things load up in game. Like my first level, STT has lots of coins and secrets, though none are required this time. The main danger comes from how "busy" the level is with its hazards, and I'm unsure how I feel about how that aspect of it came out. Let me know what you goons think.

Pay attention to side areas, because that's where all but one of the shortcuts/OP powerups are.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sawmill Creek Koopa Infestation

This is my first ever attempt at a stage. I think it’s a bit clunky and doesn’t have a strong sense of style but I spent most of the time just figuring out the physics and puzzles to get a feel for how to make stuff. I basically just improvised as I went along left to right. My next one will be better planned but feel free to give it a shot if you want!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Raging Railroad

31W N4J 9KF

Train level inspired heavily by the train in Little Nemo's Adventures on the NES, and also general action movie cliches about fighting bad dudes on top of a train. Shouldn't be too incredibly difficult I think.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

My latest attempt at making a playable level...

Spine Chillers

9SW-TP7-NMF

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

My latest attempt at making a playable level...

Spine Chillers

9SW-TP7-NMF

I almost couldn’t wait for those four spike tops over and over in the beginning of the stage. Well I beat it. I think it has a good sense of humor. That 50 coins near the start is almost unavoidable. The skewer comes out of no where. Made me laugh. :)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Good Sphere posted:

I almost couldn’t wait for those four spike tops over and over in the beginning of the stage. Well I beat it. I think it has a good sense of humor. That 50 coins near the start is almost unavoidable. The skewer comes out of no where. Made me laugh. :)

Thanks!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is my first ever attempt at a stage. I think it’s a bit clunky and doesn’t have a strong sense of style but I spent most of the time just figuring out the physics and puzzles to get a feel for how to make stuff. I basically just improvised as I went along left to right. My next one will be better planned but feel free to give it a shot if you want!

I, uh... Sorry about your clear rate. :blush:

I liked this course. It had the feel of one of those games where you have to keep a stick from touching parallel rails in spots and some interesting puzzles, but one thing to note: In the section with the claws and beyond you used a bridge as a roof, which means you can hit the gap and slide in by the claws, bypassing the on/off gate. Not a big deal by any means, probably a good world record strategy for the course. It also means you can accidentally get bumped out above and have to take the long way back.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

I, uh... Sorry about your clear rate. :blush:

I liked this course. It had the feel of one of those games where you have to keep a stick from touching parallel rails in spots and some interesting puzzles, but one thing to note: In the section with the claws and beyond you used a bridge as a roof, which means you can hit the gap and slide in by the claws, bypassing the on/off gate. Not a big deal by any means, probably a good world record strategy for the course. It also means you can accidentally get bumped out above and have to take the long way back.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I didn’t notice. I went back and tried that, and it’s tricky enough that if someone wants to do that they’re welcome to try, haha. Thanks for playing it!

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Played through this one and had a good, if frustrating time. I never had a SNES when I was a kid so I didn’t know how the clown car worked, but I eventually figured it out.

I liked your puzzles and use of tracks and such. It’s super easy to lose your clown car by hitting a switch too early or accidentally jumping. I also met with some frustration by accidentally hitting my head on the underwater victory lap and getting catapulted into the abyss and again by a random saw blade.

I like frustrating and interesting Mario stuff, and I liked the level as a whole. I’m just not sure how much of the difficulty was caused by me being unfamiliar with my mode of transportation.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Freight Elevator
M13-L84-MYG

my last level was a factory in the clouds, so how do they get all that stuff back down again?? by using the goomba freight elevator, of course! this one is mostly a vertical elevator section with a small detour. should be moderate in difficulty.

also, here is my previous level which i'm still pretty pleased with.

Strange Factory
1FT-BRF-GXG

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Elpato posted:

Played through this one and had a good, if frustrating time. I never had a SNES when I was a kid so I didn’t know how the clown car worked, but I eventually figured it out.

I liked your puzzles and use of tracks and such. It’s super easy to lose your clown car by hitting a switch too early or accidentally jumping. I also met with some frustration by accidentally hitting my head on the underwater victory lap and getting catapulted into the abyss and again by a random saw blade.

I like frustrating and interesting Mario stuff, and I liked the level as a whole. I’m just not sure how much of the difficulty was caused by me being unfamiliar with my mode of transportation.

Lol, thanks for playing. Admittedly I rushed the victory lap portion of the level so I believe you when you say there’s random stuff down there that might accidentally kill you. But hey that’s a-Mario!

E: as far as controlling the clown car, I use the d pad when controlling Mario but switch to the analog stick for the clown car, I feel like I have more precise control but ymmv.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 16, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finally messing around with water levels; how do i make it so they go up and down recurringly? it looks to me like it goes in one direction then hangs there for an infinite amount of time. am i not waiting long enough?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

alf_pogs posted:

finally messing around with water levels; how do i make it so they go up and down recurringly? it looks to me like it goes in one direction then hangs there for an infinite amount of time. am i not waiting long enough?

Click on the arrow and it'll cycle between up and down or up/down

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Click on the arrow and it'll cycle between up and down or up/down

legend thankyou!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not sure how to describe the feeling I get when a streamer I like plays Mario Maker but is talking about making a dev path troll level.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Elpato posted:

This was fun. I generally stay away from Metroid stuff because i get lost on 2d games easily. I liked this one though. You could have been a dick about getting and regetting powerrups but you weren’t. The areas flowed well and had the right type and number of enemies too.

Good Sphere posted:

This was spectacular.

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is really cool!

Thank you all for giving it a go! I'm really happy you liked it!

Also that Super Mario Broth guy played my level (he didn't beat it or heart it though :v: ) so seeing him on the list really surprised me. Wonder how that happened.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Here's my fourth level! Trouble on Highfrost Mountain (5SV-QL4-5BG)

Magikoopas have taken over Highfrost Mountain. Reach the summit and reclaim it. But beware of heights, and don't lose your footing!

I finally made a level without a boss fight, but I think the end is still satisfying. This is supposed to be medium difficulty, but I could be way off. I'd love to hear some feedback. I would especially like to know if anything seems unfair or too challenging/easy.

Now to look through some of these levels you all posted!

Edit: Fixed something in the level, updated code.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anyway to set up a note block so it stays globally loaded? Trying to use a noise as a sound indicator for an ON/OFF mechanism but while I keep the contraption loaded I can't figure out a way to make a note block stay loaded.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anyway to set up a note block so it stays globally loaded? Trying to use a noise as a sound indicator for an ON/OFF mechanism but while I keep the contraption loaded I can't figure out a way to make a note block stay loaded.

I think if it's on a track it'll be globally loaded but that would probably ruin the contraption you have going

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I think if it's on a track it'll be globally loaded but that would probably ruin the contraption you have going

Two or more noteblocks cycling to the same spot would probably work, or just timing the shell to always hit it when its at a certain part of the track cycle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Icicles are global ground so you could place it ontop of one. Dunno what would hit it off screen though (assuming that's what you're going for)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The idea I wanted to do was make a tribute level to Tick Tock Clock. Cycling ON/OFF would play a large roll in the stage, as its the cloest approximation of the gears of the clock turning I can think of. I know how to set up a global ON/OFF switch now, but wanted a sound queue to trigger before the switch would be flipped. Like, a 1-2-3 beat, so someone going through the stage would have an indicator of when the ON/OFF switch is gonna be flipped.

Can't figure out any way to do that though. Think it might be impossible, since noteblocks bounce entities which means they leave global ground which results in them despawning. Maybe there's some other setup I could do to produce a global sound in rythm to the ON/OFF switch but I have no idea what that would be. I've never messed with this stuff before.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also if anyone plays my new level can I request some feedback on how it flowed? It's a pretty long stage with exploring being it's big pitch. I put everything where I figured it would work best- but most of all I'm pretty proud of it :shobon:

Posting the tag again for the afternoon crew.

Oh man, this was great. The Chozo statues and the escape sequence at the end were fantastic! The length was pretty much right (fun and not long enough to be tedious) and it had great decoration and atmosphere.

Found Sound posted:

Freight Elevator
M13-L84-MYG

my last level was a factory in the clouds, so how do they get all that stuff back down again?? by using the goomba freight elevator, of course! this one is mostly a vertical elevator section with a small detour. should be moderate in difficulty.

This was a lot of fun too! Great idea, good level design, and nice use of the pipes to make a vertical level. I played a second time to get the World Record (by jumping down the elevator shaft). Someone try to beat my time.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

The idea I wanted to do was make a tribute level to Tick Tock Clock. Cycling ON/OFF would play a large roll in the stage, as its the cloest approximation of the gears of the clock turning I can think of. I know how to set up a global ON/OFF switch now, but wanted a sound queue to trigger before the switch would be flipped. Like, a 1-2-3 beat, so someone going through the stage would have an indicator of when the ON/OFF switch is gonna be flipped.

Can't figure out any way to do that though. Think it might be impossible, since noteblocks bounce entities which means they leave global ground which results in them despawning. Maybe there's some other setup I could do to produce a global sound in rythm to the ON/OFF switch but I have no idea what that would be. I've never messed with this stuff before.

I did something like this with a level I made (a sound beat to help indicate a on/off switch trigger). I just made a contraption for making a sound when the switch was hit and copy/pasted it across the top of the level with a vertical scroll stop across the whole level to prevent the player from seeing it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but—I'm working on a vertical stage now where I have an object bouncing on a note block at the top (where you start), and it's still going when you hit the bottom of the stage. I have a wall down the center of the entire stage to prevent horizontal scrolling, and the note block contraption is two blocks to the right of the wall, on the opposite side of the wall the player is on. I think any more than two or three blocks past the wall and it doesn't load. I imagine this would work just as well if you start at the bottom of the screen and go up, but I have no idea how wide your whole switch contraption needs to be in order to function, or if a single screen width would work for your level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rollersnake posted:

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but—I'm working on a vertical stage now where I have an object bouncing on a note block at the top (where you start), and it's still going when you hit the bottom of the stage. I have a wall down the center of the entire stage to prevent horizontal scrolling, and the note block contraption is two blocks to the right of the wall, on the opposite side of the wall the player is on. I think any more than two or three blocks past the wall and it doesn't load. I imagine this would work just as well if you start at the bottom of the screen and go up, but I have no idea how wide your whole switch contraption needs to be in order to function, or if a single screen width would work for your level.

So this made me curious. I made a contraption with a note block and ON/OFF switch. I placed it at the bottom of a vertical sublevel and an identical copy at the top.

The one the bottom deloads as soon as you travel too high. The one on top stays loaded when you go down, or back up, or whatever. It doesn't need global ground or anything either.

I guess this has to be some weird quirk in how the game loads? Either way its kind of poo poo for me since I want a stage that goes up, not down. And I suppose you could spawn someone at the top too trigger the device and have them fall down but they'd have to repeat that everytime they die and that would get old fast.

Sam Faust posted:

I did something like this with a level I made (a sound beat to help indicate a on/off switch trigger). I just made a contraption for making a sound when the switch was hit and copy/pasted it across the top of the level with a vertical scroll stop across the whole level to prevent the player from seeing it.

How did you keep the contraptions and sound devices in sync with loading taken into account? Or did they all work vertically and were perfectly spaces the load/deload through the level?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

How did you keep the contraptions and sound devices in sync with loading taken into account? Or did they all work vertically and were perfectly spaces the load/deload through the level?

I'll just post a video of it. This setup can still get thrown off somehow if the player moves a certain way (might be able to improve idk), but it'll correct itself on the next switch.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1151038878154993664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

dudeness posted:

Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

Simple puzzle solving to get the red coins followed by a boss fight, it's a bit of a long level but I think it's pretty straight forward. It's not my "for kids" level because it's probably too hard for that and I started work on it before that was announced.

Shouldn't be too difficult for someone experienced in SMW, but I'm also a terrible judge of difficulty.

I had to trek all the way back for the coin in the blue pipe, which I didn't anticipate having to do because the stage looks less linear than it is. I still beat it my first try, with 8 seconds left on the clock, but I was really hauling rear end through the part after the checkpoint. 400 seconds is really not enough for the stage, and I think even 500 seconds might be a bit tight for players who are taking their time.

I loved most of the stage. Good, simple puzzles, and the final section was hilarious—I wish I could have stood around longer to appreciate it. One bit I'd change is the three sets of flame jets you have to go through to get the fire flower, because it's unnecessarily time-consuming in a level where you can't afford to waste time, especially since a lot of players are probably going to have to do this more than once because of that tricky spiny cannon immediately afterward.

Huxley posted:

Thought I'd share my first level. I guess it's a puzzle, there's basically no running and a lot of switches. Feedback appreciated! I have no idea if this works, or if it only works in my head.

Trust Fall
7RF-X2D-5XG

Sometimes shells may miss the blocks because they travel at different speeds depending upon whether you're running or not when you hit them, but it doesn't really matter in this case as it's a brief level and there's more than one way you can go for some of the coins. As a whole, the level works. I had to replay a couple of times because I already turned my brain off for the night and kept unnecessarily trying to hit that last on/off switch with a jump from the springboard.