Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Samovar posted:

In today's Corto Maltese: Rasputin is a shoot first, ask questions later person. He should join an American Police Department!, or If only he had a brain..., or The kids are on the move

This just jogged something in my memory. Milo Manara was a student of Hugo Pratt, creator of Corto Maltese. Pratt died in 1995. The following bit was published in Heavy Metal's September 1996 issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kammat posted:

This just jogged something in my memory. Milo Manara was a student of Hugo Pratt, creator of Corto Maltese. Pratt died in 1995. The following bit was published in Heavy Metal's September 1996 issue.

are there more pages of that? Only asking because there's this auction for page 4

http://www.artnet.com/artists/milo-manara/heavy-metal-rasputin-lX7Nqf7ZYLYYfvyevEYmLw2

which is odd since it seems complete

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Reply All

Rubes

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Tunicate posted:

are there more pages of that? Only asking because there's this auction for page 4

http://www.artnet.com/artists/milo-manara/heavy-metal-rasputin-lX7Nqf7ZYLYYfvyevEYmLw2

Those are the only three in the magazine. On Manara's bibliography page is this:

quote:

1981: Dedicato a Corto Maltese
It’s a story that honors the main character of the adventures of Manara’s friend and mentor, the great Hugo Pratt, even if he doesn’t portray him. The main character is Corto Maltese’s famous friend, the awful Rasputin. Manara reports that Hugo Pratt was moved when he read it. Also, Gabriele Salvatores liked it enough to think about making a movie based on it.

I can't find a copy of it anywhere though it might be rolled into one of Manara's collections.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Tunicate posted:

That page looks like it's from a different story featuring the historical Rasputin.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's definitely historical rasputin being murdered multiple times in a conspiracy then wandering out into the snow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I've heard the concept described in English before but I don't have a clue what the proper term is or if one exists.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh, you want to have one single solitary instant of happiness or even contentment on your fun camping trip? OVER BERNICE'S DEAD BODY.

Just FYI: eating canned food which is meant to be heaten up (like... I dunno... Stew) without heating it up is a good way to get botulism.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 16, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis with guest author Charles Boyce

Tina's Groove Classic (Dec. 22, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 22, 1997)

Garfield Classic (Dec. 22, 1987)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, if todays Arlo was guest written by Boyce then why wouldn't 1997 have been guest written by Holbrook?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kammat posted:

Awwww. That's really touching.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Well, if todays Arlo was guest written by Boyce then why wouldn't 1997 have been guest written by Holbrook?

I almost went for it, I really did.

The difference being that this run of funny animal strips is actually, well, funny.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The comic skips a bunch of dialogue, which makes Lucia's sudden mood change (in this and next strip) bit weird.

Nancy

Dustin

That's the most pathetic motivational talk I've seen.

Mandrake

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mikl posted:

Just FYI: eating canned food which is meant to be heaten up (like... I dunno... Stew) without heating it up is a good way to get botulism.

No it isn't. There are fewer than 20 cases of food-borne botulism in the US each year. If the can is intact, not puffed out, and the contents aren't spoiled, the food is fine to eat hot or cold.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The process of canning cooks the food.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Botulism is awful, but as stated, if the can is in good shape and not puffed out (or weirdly imploded, although I think that's something else), the food is fine to eat unless it was improperly canned.

You're not heating canned food up to 140-165F anyways most of the time so you're not heating it to kill bacteria, just to make it taste better.

Edit: in 38 years, I have found one puffed can and thrown it out. It may or may not have had botulism. It's not common at all.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

You're not heating canned food up to 140-165F anyways most of the time so you're not heating it to kill bacteria, just to make it taste better.

Maybe not the food, but my microwave drat sure heats the bowl up to 165F at least

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

Maybe not the food, but my microwave drat sure heats the bowl up to 165F at least

Same, although I've found that some of my bowls seem to not heat up as much as others. Otherwise it also depends somewhat what you're making - if you're heating up a canned stew or a soup you're probably heating it up a bit more than canned green beans, and some things don't get heated up at all depending on the food.

Either way heating canned goods (including stews) is unnecessary for food safety if the can is intact, and if the can is blown out, just get rid of it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I'm just surprised there's no ice cream brand they're shilling for in this strip.

Kennel posted:

Dustin

It's always annoying when you run into people who consider desk jobs to be the only real type of job.

Also, you know a lovely Boomer wrote this since finding an okay desk job requires at least five years of experience these days.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

amigolupus posted:

It's always annoying when you run into people who consider desk jobs to be the only real type of job.

Also, you know a lovely Boomer wrote this since finding an okay desk job requires at least five years of experience these days.

Also, loving lol at getting hard time for white collar crime.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

...isn't this exactly the way they introduced the last new character, but with a snowstorm instead of rain?

Phoebe

Baldo

Big Nate

Walllace

Curtis

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vargo posted:

Walllace

I went to boy scout camp at the base of Mt. Monadnock. Wallace is a good comic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 11, 1950)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 16-17, 1986)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Zip

Rip

Dick May 4-5, 1932

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amigolupus posted:

I'm just surprised there's no ice cream brand they're shilling for in this strip.

You also know a lovely Republican wrote this since white collar crime does not get you harder time than theft. Or petty mischief for that matter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tankies are more honest about things like the vanishing commissar than this lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"had died" :airquote:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Selachian posted:

A bit less than three and a half years. And to be fair to Jam, he did manage to eventually get to most of the characters in the list from the start of the strip -- except Dr. Clawburg and his underwater laboratory, and his henchman, Brotous.

Speaking of:

Edge of But Wait There's More

Apparently I was too quick to kick dirt on Edge's coffin. Jam says he has another week of it. But honestly, I'm tempted to just stop reading here, because Sam sloping off miserably with a bottle of high-octane rum to get blotto alone is just the :discourse: way to end this strip.

I want to see how they try to end it.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 9-11, 1933)

You can really be a Beau Brummell baby if you just gave it half a chance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 16, 2019

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Safety Dance posted:

No it isn't. There are fewer than 20 cases of food-borne botulism in the US each year. If the can is intact, not puffed out, and the contents aren't spoiled, the food is fine to eat hot or cold.

And hey, if it was good enough for Calvin, then it's more than good enough for Luann.

Calvin and Hobbes, Aug 15, 1987

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Re: botulism, it depends. It may be different over here since I'm in Europe, but there's a significant difference between ready-to-eat food and ready-to-cook food; usually canned stew and soups are the latter, and they are clearly labeled with "heat this until boiling before eating", which destroys the botulin toxin (if any).

Ready-to-eat food, on the other hand, should be 100% botulin free.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't like nunancy's weird characterization of magnet school students.

Mikl posted:

Re: botulism, it depends. It may be different over here since I'm in Europe, but there's a significant difference between ready-to-eat food and ready-to-cook food; usually canned stew and soups are the latter, and they are clearly labeled with "heat this until boiling before eating", which destroys the botulin toxin (if any).
Nobody is knowingly selling products containing botulism, that wouls be insane. The preventative steps are basic and standard.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 16, 2019

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mikl posted:

Ready-to-eat food, on the other hand, should be 100% botulin free.

That's not how botulism works. You get botulism from eating the toxin produced by a certain bacteria in spoiled food. If a canned food has spoiled to the point that it will give you botulism, that means that heating it up just means you're eating hot poison. If the food isn't spoiled, then it's just normal food that you can eat at any temperature you're comfortable with.

The whole point behind canning food was to preserve it and prevent bacteria from growing in it. I guarantee you, even in Europe, that canned food is safe to eat cold.

You're confusing serving suggestions with safety warnings.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nah. I work in the field, I should know.

Of course no one is deliberately selling botulin-contaminated food; it's just that regulations are less stringent for food that you're supposed to cook before eating, than food you can eat right out of the can, and soups and stews usually fall in the former category. The former shouldn't give you botulism, the latter definitely won't give you botulism (barring mishaps).

Also, botulin toxin is destroyed by bringing the food above 85°C (says WHO), so proper cooking completely removes the danger. The problem with botulism is that the bacteria that makes the toxin is really hardy, and won't be destroyed even by normal heating (it just goes dormant, ready to start growing again); you need specialty equipment (very high temperatures) to sterilise the cans so you are 100% sure you've removed the bacteria.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Dustin

F Minus

Mark Trail

"Oh, JJ. The gold was in our hearts all the time!"

Mary Worth

"I also love baguettes! And berets! And Jerry Lewis was a genus!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I assume we found out Sunday what Bryan's new job is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

don't get my hopes up

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Mikl posted:

Nah. I work in the field, I should know.

Of course no one is deliberately selling botulin-contaminated food; it's just that regulations are less stringent for food that you're supposed to cook before eating, than food you can eat right out of the can, and soups and stews usually fall in the former category. The former shouldn't give you botulism, the latter definitely won't give you botulism (barring mishaps).

Also, botulin toxin is destroyed by bringing the food above 85°C (says WHO), so proper cooking completely removes the danger. The problem with botulism is that the bacteria that makes the toxin is really hardy, and won't be destroyed even by normal heating (it just goes dormant, ready to start growing again); you need specialty equipment (very high temperatures) to sterilise the cans so you are 100% sure you've removed the bacteria.

What regulations are less stringent? Do you have an example of a canned product that outright requires boiling? It seems incredibly strange that every company in the US as well as every person who cans in their home can manage basic food safety but somehow Europe can't?

The only problem with canned stews/etc that I've ever heard is it's a funky consistency until you heat it.

Edit: Wouldn't the can be bulged even if there were some sort of improperly canned food, in which case you should throw the drat thing out anyways? This doesn't make any sense.

ssb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I assume we found out Sunday what Bryan's new job is.

He's going to "work" for "a company."