Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I had to use Windowed/Borderless Gaming on both 4.1 and 5 to get rid of the freezing for me.

Edit: GSYNC on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hot Air Raider tip: The laser-equipped chopper punches way above its weight for missions with flying giant insects and if you feather the button you can shoot aliens in the head also

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lots of discussion on other classes, but any hot Wing Diver tips? I picked up EDF 5 as my first EDF game and it's fuckin rad, and I love zipping around as a waifu while blowing up bugs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In past games lightning guns and rapiers were your bread and butter but I'm not real sure how that works out with the changes to Wing Diver magazines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kanos posted:

Spritefall: The best ticket-based call-in in the entire game. Goes exactly where you point it and basically murders everything in the AoE. It's good against everything in the game that it can hit; it wrecks anchors, frogs, bugs, drones who bumble into the radius, everything. It does huge rear end damage and also reloads super quickly. I bring a Spritefall to almost every single stage, and sometimes I even bring two.

Even if it was poo poo Spritefall is the best weapon because its crazy operator lady owns and having her scream "BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL MUWAHAHAHAHA" :black101: over the radio to everybody and then whisper to the Air Raider about how they now know why the EDF feared this power and thus sealed it never fails to make me crack up.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Bofast posted:

Do you mean the general themes of the levels or what? I have not seen a single level that feels like a 4.1 level so far.

Oh gently caress, I am an idiot. I forgot this came out on the PS4 last year, and I played it on that. No wonder it all seemed so familiar!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

dis astranagant posted:

In past games lightning guns and rapiers were your bread and butter but I'm not real sure how that works out with the changes to Wing Diver magazines.

Lightning guns are OK, but not super great past the early game. Rapiers are still amazing, but now wing diver gets a charge-up EMP shotgun that just ruins things in a cone in front of you, just be sure not to shoot your own feet. Lances are also really good in this one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Big plasma guns do ridiculous damage if you can avoid blowing yourself or your teammates up with them

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lots of discussion on other classes, but any hot Wing Diver tips? I picked up EDF 5 as my first EDF game and it's fuckin rad, and I love zipping around as a waifu while blowing up bugs.

Only just started but Grit Gun and Double Lance are my favorites atm, although the Grit Gun might be a bit low on damage its still nice for stagger/slight ragdoll since its a plasma weapon

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah the Double Lance fuckin rules. I’ve been enjoying the zappy weapons too, both the short and mid-range ones. The big Plasma Lanchers fucks up frogs like no tomorrow, which is nice. The Phalanx seems like it loving obliterates everything too, assuming you can get close enough.

I’m not a big fan of the blasters though, they require SO MUCH energy that they’re just too impractical to use. They also don’t really seem worth it over the big plasma lanchers anyways. The Sniper weapons I’m mixed on, the range is great but the damage always seem eh. The Homing Weapons seem hit or miss, the real slow plasma one (Geist, I think?) is super slow but ridiculously strong, seems real good for frogs. I can’t really get a feel much for the others though, they’re either too expensive energy-wise or too weak damager-wise.

I’ve mostly just been sticking with the generic cores too. The specialized ones are neat but seem too limited on overall energy, maybe I need higher-ranking ones, though. Or maybe I just need to git gud at energy management.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Sydin posted:

Even if it was poo poo Spritefall is the best weapon because its crazy operator lady owns and having her scream "BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL MUWAHAHAHAHA" :black101: over the radio to everybody and then whisper to the Air Raider about how they now know why the EDF feared this power and thus sealed it never fails to make me crack up.

She is so loving extra, I love it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm currently going through the low 20-levels with a co-op friend and my Wing Diver mainstay has been the Spark Vine/Spark Whip class of weapons. Essentially electro shotguns, I love to zip around and blast jerks away at close range like a TF2 scout with a jetpack. The second weapon is almost always situational to the level. So far I've found the Plasma Big cannons are a great opening salvo to the humanoid aliens , as a fully charged shot to the ground near them knocks their legs off instantly. Otherwise it's my more modular weapon slot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think we can all agree that the wing diver guns that get weaker as you fire them are completely worthless. friggin' squirt gun physics.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

True, but the inferno ones are hilarious to look at.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The four all star Wing Diver weapons that stand out ahead of all others are Rapiers, Phalanxes, Lances, and the Stardust Cannon series. Rapiers and Phalanxes are sustained close range death murder with insane DPS. Lances do ludicrous amounts of damage in one shot to the point of being able to one shot larger and more dangerous enemies outright, and tend to be extremely energy efficient. The Stardust Cannon provides the Wing Diver with a weapon that does insane damage and is efficient across multiple ranges, which is super rare since WD weapons tend to be super specialized.

My friend who I played through almost the entirety of Inferno with basically never switches from a combo of Stardust + Lance/Phalanx/Rapier unless he's messing around or the mission benefits a lot from a specific gimmick weapon(the little pew pew homing lasers are great for bees since bees have no HP, for example).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 15, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was pleasantly surprised with the 3 way shot that you charge and never stop firing until it runs out. I still don't have enough energy to fill it, but having it going on for half a minute and playing keep away with friends doesn't get old.

Air Raider tip: If you have an attack that requires hitting a distant target to queue up multiple shots, just fire at your feet to save time and effort, then hit the target.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 15, 2019

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In addition to the previous posts, also useful are:

the Destroyer Blaster (nice since it doesn't lose dmg at range, although you do want to reload it around the halfway mag mark)
the Heavy Plasma Cannon series (can be useful against aliens when there's not much cover around or Deroys, or if you need to snipe anchors without being able to get close to them)
Raijin (mostly only for super exceptions like the levels where you fight like 90% deroys)

Granted I only played on PS4 to around lvl 106 on hardest, so maybe some of these aren't as useful in Inferno.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blood Storm is so loving good, yall. I love being able to stand outside the battle and just rain hell with dual blood storm rockets to thin out the herd before zipping in with my spear and cleaning the rest out. I imagine it's not as good on higher difficulties when friendly fire actually hurts but on normal/hard let those fuckers fly.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Seconding blood storms.

A double shot will kill a frog trooper, so you can kill three of them in a single salvo. There's pretty much nothing they aren't good at killing, so long as the target isn't to close. But that's what the spear is for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shotgun+grenade Ranger can carry teams harder than an Olympic bus

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not big on grenades but shotgun + emerald missiles ranger is ridiculous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm real bad at using thrown grenades, in that whenever i try a bug comes up to say hello and then we both go on a magical sky adventure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

luv 2 nade

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grenade launchers are pretty fun, tho. Love me some UM-RA

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've been using DNGs, mostly because they can two-shot frogs at any distance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the cheat engine scripts are already on point btw, there's stuff for multipliers on how many crates you pick up, an unlock all weapons and a seperate max level everything stuff, among the usual invincibility stuff

also unlocking inferno early

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Wing Diver dashes are hilariously good, it's what they needed. Get high enough and you can just dash around to stay in the air instead of burn your flight juice, and depending on the core you've got you can even regenerate juice while doin' it.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Gamerofthegame posted:

the cheat engine scripts are already on point btw, there's stuff for multipliers on how many crates you pick up, an unlock all weapons and a seperate max level everything stuff, among the usual invincibility stuff

also unlocking inferno early

*gets carried to the top of Everest by Sherpas*
I DID IT IM THE BEST

Also the Ranger's bike is absolutely inglorious, I've revived my whole team more than once by the skin of our collective teeth on that thing. Combined with the Eagle sniper you can do some good damage to larger targets from afar.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those giant grays sure are fast when they feel like it. Even when we ambushed the one on the bridge at that six or so queen mission before the Not Retiarius introduction, he somersaulted so much and so fast, that he got behind a couple buildings that were not close to the bridge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Reallycoolname posted:

*gets carried to the top of Everest by Sherpas*
I DID IT IM THE BEST

Also the Ranger's bike is absolutely inglorious, I've revived my whole team more than once by the skin of our collective teeth on that thing. Combined with the Eagle sniper you can do some good damage to larger targets from afar.

hey now some people just want to get right to maximum explosion mode

I can respect that

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

I can respect that

I mean fair but yknow that shits getting sprung on online multiplayer

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Reallycoolname posted:

Against HUMANOID ALIENS it's incredible. Just drive by and kneecap those HUMANOID ALIENS then hop off and shotgun their TWO EYES

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

E S L! E S L! :pseudo:

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Against HUMANOID ALIENS it's incredible. Just drive by and kneecap those HUMANOID ALIENS then hop off and shotgun their TWO EYES

Why hop off when you can kneecap them on the drive up and then park red-hot twin machineguns right up against their crotch? :getin:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I played the Erginus mission today and the amount of decal blood splatter that thing gushes out onto nearby buildings is probably the absolute best decal work I've ever seen in a video game.

And by "best" I mean "made me laugh the hardest."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DaveKap posted:

I played the Erginus mission today and the amount of decal blood splatter that thing gushes out onto nearby buildings is probably the absolute best decal work I've ever seen in a video game.

And by "best" I mean "made me laugh the hardest."

:hellyeah:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Gamerofthegame posted:

I can respect that

Do they effect the other players when you use them online? I don't care what anyone does in single player, but I know in 4 people using cheats would give max armor and weapon drops to other players in the multiplayer game, which really sucks if you want to actually play the game yourself.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I want a cheat that changes the gib and decal lifetime, lemme bring my PC to its knees with meat chunks

Snake Maze posted:

Do they effect the other players when you use them online? I don't care what anyone does in single player, but I know in 4 people using cheats would give max armor and weapon drops to other players in the multiplayer game, which really sucks if you want to actually play the game yourself.

I got lucky enough that no one ever messed with my armor in 4.1, but yeah that would suck. Just to be safe, back up your saves regularly
Documents\My Games\EDF5

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 16, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only play single-player and I've been using a trainer, I know rapid fire makes all the AI teammates shoot a million bullets a second as well, so that might affect other players if I went online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every random person i've played with online has been totally cool with the pickup cheat. no one likes grabbing boxes for 5 minutes at the end of missions.