Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Neurophage posted:

Her name is Nuetzi, lol

Did Nuetzi that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Conservatism actively selects for people who fall for the same poo poo over and over again

It's why all the AdSense scammers in 2016 all immediately bailed on trying to target Bernie voters because they'd ask about sources and poo poo whereas chuds would just immediately believe and click on anything that validated their preconceived notions

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I knew a bunch of people at my suburban high school who thought Colbert was for real, it was so bizarre

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Badger of Basra posted:

I knew a bunch of people at my suburban high school who thought Colbert was for real, it was so bizarre

the only one i knew irl who did this was a centrist dullard, they also watched TDS and liked stewart lmao

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Badger of Basra posted:

I always knew he was playing up being, well, Colbert but I had no idea he just up and invented an entire personality for himself whole cloth

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

I always knew he was playing up being, well, Colbert but I had no idea he just up and invented an entire personality for himself whole cloth

From what I remember it seemed to develop over time, from being kind of a confrontational loudmouth newsman correspondent into the explicitly conservative confrontational loudmouth

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

conservatives literally cannot "see" satire. they can't. i think there have been studies that say as much.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Chokes McGee posted:

I thought it was always pretty explicitly mocking O'Reilly

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

pseudanonymous posted:

I thought it was always pretty explicitly mocking O'Reilly

AKA "Papa Bear" as he was called by Colbert

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NecroMonster posted:

conservatives literally cannot "see" satire. they can't. i think there have been studies that say as much.

My favorite Colbert bit was when he invited a politician that had said gay marriage was forbidden in the Bible, said as a proud Catholic he followed every single law in the bible, and then asked if the guy was kosher

it went on from there

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I wonder if there were conservatives who watched the Colbert Report like...literally and who were surprised at his 'flip' when he went to 'Late Show'

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

An insane mind posted:

I wonder if there were conservatives who watched the Colbert Report like...literally and who were surprised at his 'flip' when he went to 'Late Show'

there are. you know there are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An insane mind posted:

My favorite part is how he kept up Stephen Colbert instead of reverting back to Steve Colbert and being himself

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I also liked how Murdoc from Gorillaz "called in" and dodged his interview so Colbert stormed off the set in protest, changed real quick, and interviewed Damon Albarn as himself

e: way off there

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It was a bit like those racist scum who dreamed that Taylor Swift was secretly on their side. Conservatives wanted to believe deep down that Colbert was pulling a subversive double-cross where he was secretly turbo-owning the libs by pretending to be a conservative satire.

Because ultimately conservatives really, really hate that they're so goddamn poor in social capital and want all the big, rich, popular people to be on their side.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

there are. you know there are.

Youre describing my mother-in-law. I used to love the Colbert Show but now hes just way too political. He used to be much funnier

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
now hes just too political both doesnt surprise me because people like to equate political with opinions I dont like and simultaneously blows my mind that you can think of the Colbert report as apolitical, regardless of whether or not you agree with him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ugato posted:

“now he’s just too political” both doesn’t surprise me because people like to equate “political” with “opinions I don’t like” and simultaneously blows my mind that you can think of the Colbert report as apolitical, regardless of whether or not you agree with him.

Conservatives are mind bogglingly stupid, and intentionally so.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Elephant Ambush posted:

Conservatives are mind bogglingly stupid, and intentionally so.

Yet they also generally think of themselves as being incredibly smart and well informed. It's just projection all the way down.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JoelJoel posted:

Yet they also generally think of themselves as being incredibly smart and well informed. It's just projection all the way down.

Everybody thinks they are smart and well informed. It's kind of a problem with our society, that we encourage people to think that way. If stupid people knew they were stupid, if ignorant people had their ignorance called out, we might be in a better place.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, yeah, but some people actually are smart and well informed. I've never encountered a smart and well informed person that thought they knew better than the whole of the scientific community on all matters science related.

Pretend I posted the Dunning Kruger graph here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pseudanonymous posted:

Everybody thinks they are smart and well informed. It's kind of a problem with our society, that we encourage people to think that way. If stupid people knew they were stupid, if ignorant people had their ignorance called out, we might be in a better place.

Do you remember all the "calling us stupid and racist is why Trump won" hot takes from 2017?

It's amazing how much of right wing politics is covering up insecurity with evil and pettiness

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

pseudanonymous posted:

Everybody thinks they are smart and well informed.

Not me :smug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
im dumb as poo poo but at least i know why kids like cinnamon toast crunch

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
still don't get the applejacks craze though they aint even taste like fukken apples

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
We eat what we like, motherfucker.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Thread", as they say:

https://twitter.com/Devilstower/status/1151184427919319048

TL;DR - Trump is loving coal miners seven ways to Sunday, and the goddamn rubes will still go out and vote for him next November.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

"Thread", as they say:

https://twitter.com/Devilstower/status/1151184427919319048

TL;DR - Trump is loving coal miners seven ways to Sunday, and the goddamn rubes will still go out and vote for him next November.

this is sad but also....good.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Nah I've known plenty of folks who were perfectly aware they weren't the sharpest or big on politics/science/literally whatever topic was at hand and cheerfully owned it, this isn't a universal human thing it's a mediocre rear end in a top hat thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this isn't a universal human thing it's a mediocre rear end in a top hat thing
so...a near-universal human thing. :v:

And actually, that's the usually-neglected other half of Dunning-Kruger - that smart people tend to underestimate themselves and overestimate the difficulty of unknown tasks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol, Donktum got doxxed after all by somebody who had the nerve to......search for his brand on LinkedIn

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nah I've known plenty of folks who were perfectly aware they weren't the sharpest or big on politics/science/literally whatever topic was at hand and cheerfully owned it, this isn't a universal human thing it's a mediocre rear end in a top hat thing

That's fair. My experience has not been that, and of course, the media goes out of their way to get the opinion of idiots. And there's that quote from Plato, so I assume it's been going on for a while.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

pseudanonymous posted:

And there's that quote from Plato, so I assume it's been going on for a while.

do you mean the cave allegory? if not, to which quote do you refer?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"suck my goddamn balls"

-plato

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1redflag posted:

do you mean the cave allegory? if not, to which quote do you refer?

I can't find any evidence of it anywhere, in Bartletts or via Google, but for like 20 years I've had this quote in my head

"every man thinks himself the wisest since he sees his own wisdom close at hand and others at arm's length"

And I swore it was Plato, but I can't prove it now.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

pseudanonymous posted:

I can't find any evidence of it anywhere, in Bartletts or via Google, but for like 20 years I've had this quote in my head

"every man thinks himself the wisest since he sees his own wisdom close at hand and others at arm's length"

Are you thinking of the Socratic paradox? Where he says "I know that I know nothing"?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

"That is cool."
-Abraham Lincoln, February 27, 1860

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

Are you thinking of the Socratic paradox? Where he says "I know that I know nothing"?

I think you are thinking of celebrated philosopher, Operation Ivy.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Iraqi Christians facing deportation feel conned by Trump: 'You vowed to protect us'

quote:

The administrations deportation efforts are viewed by many Chaldeans as a shocking betrayal, not least because many in the community have been enthusiastic supporters of Trump and voted for him in large numbers in 2016.

The generally conservative community with between 70,000 and 80,000 voters went big for Trump in the 2016 election in a state that he won by only 10,000 votes. They did so after Trump portrayed himself as a savior who would stand up for persecuted Christians. Chaldeans For Trump signs appeared at Trump rallies and in lawns in Oakland county, a wealthy metro Detroit area where the community is concentrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That's the stuff.