Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the first 13 episodes were made before the show premiered so they were done in a vacuum. Everything after was a reaction to the kind of instant popularity the show had.

Yep. Fox was very skeptical about the show but the pilot tested well, so they only gave a 13-episode order. Then the show blew up, and Murphy & Co. were like, "Oh, poo poo, what do we do now?" Like, even beginning with episode 14 of season 1, it feels like a completely different show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, my opinion has always been that Glee starts as a show that uses music as a hook but where my favorite episode of that 13 is also the episode that barely has any music in it, but then it exploded and became all about iTunes downloads and what the next music gimmick episode is. Like I'm on the Madonna episode a few after the 13 and I've got nothing against Madonna but its just literally out of nowhere and really dumb because the clear focus of the episode is writing characters to get to Madonna songs.

It's more that the music becomes the hook later. The show used to treat its musical numbers like, well, a musical would, and have nearly each song count story or character wise. Then Murphy & Co started flinging poo poo at the walls while the network chased iTunes sales and they stuffed every episode with mostly irrelevant pop tunes.

Most of the best episodes are post S1 but not worth slogging thru the rest to get to, unless you use it as a 'watch in the bg while you do something else til an Ian Brennan written episode appears'.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I dropped off Glee just before Benoist and a few other new kids showed up. I like her enough in Supergirl that I keep thinking of going back and finishing the show out. But there's always something keeping me busy enough to not get around to it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that's part of why I decided to toss it into my rotation. I'm mildly curious to see her.

I think I dropped out before most of the new kids showed up. I have a vague memory of some girl and like Puck's brother or something but I think I probably just caught a random episode after I quit the show. I'm pretty sure i tapped out before the original cast graduated or anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only Glee anyone should watch are the first 13, and hell, arguably all you need to do is watch "Preggers".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basically all the big moments of the rewatch were when someone's parent was being really cool or really terrible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not. Evangelion is overrated. Its interesting, but its not great. There's much better animes.

Teenagers just loved to go on about how ~ crazy ~ Evangelion was, so it got popular back in the day and still has cult status. Its not bad but its not great either.
Evangelion to me comes down to a matter of, it was one of the first postmodern anime series in the 90s that was not only successful but successful abroad. A lot of people credit it and ADV in general of sort of causing the anime "boom" in the early 2000s that would make it as ubiquitous as it is today in English-speaking markets, and a conflation of all of the above basically seemed to put on a pedestal that it probably never really deserved (in both 'good" and "bad" ways). To me ultimately it's not that it's a particularly deep, or "crazy" show, it's just a story with some themes like any other. Some of those themes are going to work for some people and some are not, and that's fine. For my part I have ebbed and flowed on my thoughts on the overall story, but at this point I feel that it resonates with how it handles its principal characters in its endgame. The stuff with the robots, angels, apocalypse, etc. are vaguely interesting worldbuilding but it's so ancillary to the characterization that I don't really dwell on it that much at all these days.

IRQ posted:

So i watched End of Evangelion and well now it all makes even less sense. I feel like i gave anime a fair shot now, still not sure that show was actually good though?
What would be your general synopsis? EoE is a film that felt so inscrutable the first time through, but as I've revisited it's felt more and more like something that is actually pretty laser focused on bringing its character arcs to their natural endings, even if addressed in one of the most absurd of settings.

Normally I'd say the ADTRW thread is actually a pretty good place to vent/work out this junk, but SMG recently found his way there, so......

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some of the new kids are pretty good, tho they're mostly just 2.0 versions of the old cast. It's a shame the got rid of all of them after like two seasons tho.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Nate RFB posted:

Normally I'd say the ADTRW thread is actually a pretty good place to vent/work out this junk, but SMG recently found his way there, so......

oh sweet jesus no

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SMG is good, actually

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

SMG is good, actually

Is this forums accelerationism.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Love the poster who accuses you of thinking racial slurs when you disagree with him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you say his name three times he appears in a thread, so be careful

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, my opinion has always been that Glee starts as a show that uses music as a hook but where my favorite episode of that 13 is also the episode that barely has any music in it, but then it exploded and became all about iTunes downloads and what the next music gimmick episode is. Like I'm on the Madonna episode a few after the 13 and I've got nothing against Madonna but its just literally out of nowhere and really dumb because the clear focus of the episode is writing characters to get to Madonna songs.

Especially because the one guy is like "ew Madonna" when the same guy was definitely doing an acoustic version of Papa Don't Preach like three episodes before that. Come on man.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Glee is a testament to no matter how good or popular a show is, you don't give it a multi-season order because it all just came tumbling down quickly. Fanbases can be fickle, and I say this as someone who likes Rick and Morty (in a vacuum) and the 70 episode renewal could easily swing between the fans get even more insufferable and it gets even more popular or everyone just forgets about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Love the poster who accuses you of thinking racial slurs when you disagree with him

I'm not familiar with that. I'll take a weird over analytical poster over the bog standard group of irony sheathed cool kids who have somehow managed to reach the conclusion that hostility and negativity are things that worthwhile humans do

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

smg is not nearly as bad as the pearl clutching whenever his name is mentioned like a loving lacanian boogeyman

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

SMG is good, actually
He's been much better ever since I put him on ignore

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/bajillion-dollar-propertie-pluto-tv-premiere-date-season-4-kulap-vilaysack-1202640148/

Bajillion Dollar Properties found a new home on Pluto TV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love SMG and his gimmick, tho it goes a bit far sometimes. The posters who take him too seriously are trash tho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SMG showed up in bss to do his little bullshit and XO probated his rear end so fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

smg is not nearly as bad as the pearl clutching whenever his name is mentioned like a loving lacanian boogeyman

Yeah exactly

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My Netflix account got hacked or something and the password and email was changed. I couldn't reset it because it was attached to an expired card so after like an annoying hour of customer service they were like "You have to cancel it or cancel the recurring payment from the bank." And even though I later realized I gotta do the bank thing anyway I was just frustrated and told them to cancel and signed up new.

And its really weird how pressed I am to lose my viewing/watchlist/rating history. So dumb and weird.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

My Netflix account got hacked or something and the password and email was changed. I couldn't reset it because it was attached to an expired card so after like an annoying hour of customer service they were like "You have to cancel it or cancel the recurring payment from the bank." And even though I later realized I gotta do the bank thing anyway I was just frustrated and told them to cancel and signed up new.

And its really weird how pressed I am to lose my viewing/watchlist/rating history. So dumb and weird.

This happened to me with Spotify last month, where some rando in Italy just started using my account and making playlists. Spotify’s solution was to nuke my entire account, all my likes, saved songs, playlists. By the time they handed my account back to me I’d lost like 5 years of stuff and it was oddly stressful.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This happened to me with Spotify last month, where some rando in Italy just started using my account and making playlists. Spotify’s solution was to nuke my entire account, all my likes, saved songs, playlists. By the time they handed my account back to me I’d lost like 5 years of stuff and it was oddly stressful.

this happened to me too! I don't ever use Spotify since I've been an Apple Music subscriber since launch but I briefly had an account long long ago, and I reactivated it when I started school because students get Hulu/Showtime for free with a Spotify subscription. So after 8ish months of not using it I log on the other night to listen to a playlist and someone has added a bunch of poo poo, about 50% popular rap from today and the 1990s and 50% weird European poo poo. I just changed my password and deleted all of the poo poo that was added but it's definitely weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikeabrusci/status/1150778501206872070

Watch to the end

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Got dam

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love too live in the Running Man dystopia

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
more info: https://courierpostonline.com/story...nly/2836881002/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This really did live up to the hype, just drat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1151157271369605121

Full list as they are announced. Both Levy and O'Hara for Schitt's Creek.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And that De Niro nomination pretty much sinks any remaining credibility that The Emmys have.

Regardless, I might convert my Oscar voting site over to The Emmys if there's any interest, it was kind of fun seeing how we voted compared to the industry - http://crucialweb.net/oscars/results.php

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the Lead Comedy Actress category really needs to calm down

quote:

Christina Applegate, Dead to Me
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag

6-way tie

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson (black-ish)
Don Cheadle (Black Monday)
Ted Danson (The Good Place)
Michael Douglas (The Kiminsky Method)
Bill Vader (Barry)
Eugene Levy (Schitt’s Creek)

He's gone to the dark side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

less laughter posted:

the Lead Comedy Actress category really needs to calm down

6-way tie

Linda Cardelini should have also been nommed for Dead to Me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I only watched one or two episodes of Glee and it was awful so like hell I'm going back to see the rest

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Nice to see Succession get a nod, I thought it was rather underrated when it first aired.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only saw the first episode and IIRC every single song was auto tuned so gently caress that

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aw yeah some Schitt's Creek rep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Glee is actually terrible and only like two of the cast are worth watching in anything beyond the show.