Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Please keep posting your reactions in here
Nicolas Winding Refn is the king of having actors just stand around for a while looking stoic/constipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still give props to the Lost writers for working in their love of Ladytron in the most brute force way possible

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lost isn't that bad if you don't have to wait months between episodes like when it was airing. Even the bottom tier ones like Jack's tattoo or the Nikki/Paolo saga go by without incident if you have the DVD set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah when I did a full series rewatch it all went by pretty smoothly

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still skipped Stranger In A Strange Land on my recent rewatch. Bai Ling is just not a good actress.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I showed my friend the pilot episode of Lost and he was whelmed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

asecondduck posted:

I still skipped Stranger In A Strange Land on my recent rewatch. Bai Ling is just not a good actress.

And Matthew Fox's tattoos are really, really bad

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I specifically waited for LOST to end before watching it, way back in the day. Was rad as hell though it def has stinkers, but any show that runs that long is bound to.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
season 3 of the wire. just saw mcnulty talk to d'angelo's mom. I was waiting for this the whole time and that was intense

also hamsterdam is great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I specifically waited for LOST to end before watching it, way back in the day. Was rad as hell though it def has stinkers, but any show that runs that long is bound to.

I didn't start live watching it until season 4, which I think was the perfect move. I got to binge through the absurdly long filler seasons while also being around for live reactions to things like The Constant

Man, I cried a LOT. I'm tearing up just thinking about that episode. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahahahahahaha I just got to the Hideo Kojima scene in Too Old To Die Young :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bruceski posted:

What is the "Lost structure for character development"? Flashbacks to inform context?

I think they mean different episodes choosing to focus on different characters, each having a theme based around one character, and flashbacks about that character.

I'm sure its been done before Lost. Funny enough to our recent discussion, anime does this exact thing a lot and did it way before Lost. But I'm sure there's shows that did it back then too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Josh Lyman posted:

I asked about shows that feature depression a few days ago. I marathoned Euphoria tonight and it’s really good, the spiritual successor to Skins, though I do wish the characters were 10-15 years older because...

The reason I asked for the recommendation was that sad and depressing shows featuring characters I identify with help me work through my own poo poo, so maybe I should’ve been more specific. I should probably watch You’re The Worst.

watch you're the worst

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finished Too Old to Die Young. That was Refn's equivalent of Twin Peaks The Return, except I didn't like it nearly as much as Twin Peaks. Visually it was stunning, and the score was awesome too. It was a really bad show to binge, though. I shouldn't have done that, and neither should you lol

That finale was loving great though, wow.

I'm probably gonna need some time to process that. Binging that was a lot to take in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

watch you're the worst

Same but also definately watch Bojack Horseman.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Every time I try to talk about good non traditional anime like Bartender or Honey and Clover literally nobody responds
You should watch March Comes In Like A Lion if you liked H&C, it's by the same author and IMO a lot better (and I liked H&C quite a bit).

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9gaf42bveE

I am really looking forwards to this. The characters are all great, and the plot was actually getting interesting towards the end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SimonChris posted:

I am really looking forwards to this. The characters are all great, and the plot was actually getting interesting towards the end.

I tried three episodes of this but it just seemed too aimless and dream like for me. I love Patriot, but I couldn't see what the end game was here so it felt too directionless.

Should I give it another go? When does it become obvious that its building towards something or when will it click?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I tried three episodes of this but it just seemed too aimless and dream like for me. I love Patriot, but I couldn't see what the end game was here so it felt too directionless.

Should I give it another go? When does it become obvious that its building towards something or when will it click?

If "aimless and dreamlike" isn't your thing, the show probably isn't for you. Even after the plot starts getting interesting, it's interesting in a very aimless and dreamlike kinda way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Because of esperterra's recent abuse of power I ended up putting Glee into my "syndication rotation."

Having finished the first 13 episodes I remain kind of shocked how good it was, how many good and effective moments there were, and how many times I actually got a little emotional.

3 episodes beyond that I don't know if its my pre-existing opinion or just a real drop off a cliff but I kind of hate it.

edit: Also my "syndication rotation" right now also includes Dexter so I might hate myself. But it turns out S3 holds up way better than I expected. S1 holds up way less. S2 was alright.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

Because of esperterra's recent abuse of power I ended up putting Glee into my "syndication rotation."

Having finished the first 13 episodes I remain kind of shocked how good it was, how many good and effective moments there were, and how many times I actually got a little emotional.

3 episodes beyond that I don't know if its my pre-existing opinion or just a real drop off a cliff but I kind of hate it.

My wife and I started binging Glee on a whim a few years ago and I made this exact same post of "I'm halfway through season 1 and this show is actually kind of amazing, what's going on?" and I immediately had a half-dozen goons tell me to quit while I was ahead. So I'm paying it forward by telling you to quit while you're ahead :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First 13 episodes of Glee are great and then pretend I made that cliche “same they never made any more” joke

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
v. hyped for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPBi9ttKbeU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

C-Euro posted:

My wife and I started binging Glee on a whim a few years ago and I made this exact same post of "I'm halfway through season 1 and this show is actually kind of amazing, what's going on?" and I immediately had a half-dozen goons tell me to quit while I was ahead. So I'm paying it forward by telling you to quit while you're ahead :v:

Oh, I watched Glee first run for at least 2 seasons. I think I quit during the 3rd season.

esperterra just went on that terror spree and it ended up getting me to put it into my "watch in the background" rotation. So I'm gonna experience it again, I guess.

I once went and made myself finish Weeds and as I said I'm currently also on Dexter. So I clearly make terrible life choices. I'm also reasonably sure the only reason I'm not watching Sons or Anarchy right now in my rotation is its not on my streaming stuff.

Its like I decided to stop watching news in the background so much so I'm subconsciously trying to keep up the misery quota.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the first 13 episodes were made before the show premiered so they were done in a vacuum. Everything after was a reaction to the kind of instant popularity the show had.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TV rarely makes me like, really angry or anything but I was in the room while my wife and her friends watched the ganganm style episode and I had to fight off the urge to murder all of them with a chainsaw.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have never understood the point of telling first time viewers what seasons or episodes to watch. If you like a show then you should watch it until you don't like it anymore.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

First 13 episodes of Glee are great and then pretend I made that cliche “same they never made any more” joke

Rarity posted:

How can the first 13 episodes of Glee be the best ones when they barely feature Best Character Santana Lopez? :thunkher:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oasx posted:

I have never understood the point of telling first time viewers what seasons or episodes to watch. If you like a show then you should watch it until you don't like it anymore.

It's good to know if a show has no payoff though. Just quitting a show partway feels unsatisfying. I think Vikings turns to complete poo poo in season 5 and it's going nowhere. But it's still worth watching the first 4 1/2 seasons or so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the first 13 episodes were made before the show premiered so they were done in a vacuum. Everything after was a reaction to the kind of instant popularity the show had.

Yeah, my opinion has always been that Glee starts as a show that uses music as a hook but where my favorite episode of that 13 is also the episode that barely has any music in it, but then it exploded and became all about iTunes downloads and what the next music gimmick episode is. Like I'm on the Madonna episode a few after the 13 and I've got nothing against Madonna but its just literally out of nowhere and really dumb because the clear focus of the episode is writing characters to get to Madonna songs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Watching Glee is an exercise in heartbreak. you're soulless if watching the pilot doesn't immediately make you want to keep going, and the first thirteen episodes are very good and end on a great note, which makes you think "alright time to keep going" but then after that the good moments get further and further apart, (most) characters get dumber and more broad, the music gets more shoehorned in, the stories get wackier, the new kids get more and more bland, but there is just enough good in it, combined with the goodwill that pilot and those first 13 episodes bring, that you think "i'm gonna keep going".

and then god comes and punches you in the face with Finn's (and Cory Monteith's) death and the rest of the show feels like its soul has left its body.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So i watched End of Evangelion and well now it all makes even less sense. I feel like i gave anime a fair shot now, still not sure that show was actually good though?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

IRQ posted:

So i watched End of Evangelion and well now it all makes even less sense. I feel like i gave anime a fair shot now, still not sure that show was actually good though?

if you have questions just go to the ADTRW thread and ask, they're a good source of information

edit: but the show is good for sure

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Now you have to watch the Rebuild movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

Watching Glee is an exercise in heartbreak. you're soulless if watching the pilot doesn't immediately make you want to keep going, and the first thirteen episodes are very good and end on a great note, which makes you think "alright time to keep going" but then after that the good moments get further and further apart, (most) characters get dumber and more broad, the music gets more shoehorned in, the stories get wackier, the new kids get more and more bland, but there is just enough good in it, combined with the goodwill that pilot and those first 13 episodes bring, that you think "i'm gonna keep going".

and then god comes and punches you in the face with Finn's (and Cory Monteith's) death and the rest of the show feels like its soul has left its body.

And then Puck is a pedo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

And then Puck is a pedo.

I gotta be honest, rewatching the series knowing that doesn't feel terribly out of character.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Now you have to watch the Rebuild movies.

How gratuitous is the fanservice in 2.22? I've def read some things about how it's way creepier than in the show/EoE and despite having watched the show multiple times I've still never watched the rebuilds bc of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IRQ posted:

Its not. Evangelion is overrated. Its interesting, but its not great. There's much better animes.

Teenagers just loved to go on about how ~ crazy ~ Evangelion was, so it got popular back in the day and still has cult status. Its not bad but its not great either.

Try more anime because its not a genre its a medium. Disliking some is no indication that you may not like others. Its like saying "I didn't like a show on HBO so I'm not gonna watch future HBO shows", there's no real correlation necessarily.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SimonChris posted:

Hell yeah. I enjoyed season 1 after giving it a chance, so I'm looking forward to this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rhyno posted:

And then Puck is a pedo.

yeah but that doesn't matter in the show itself, it's just kind of a creepy after-note.