Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Swearing fealty to Bran is like trying to join the UK by swearing fealty to wales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

The nobility would want independence if they can't be high king. Why would they want a scenario where they have to bow to someone and pay taxes when they could have a scenario where nobody is greater than them and they keep all the money?

I'm in the process of listening to the audio books again, and this just brings to mind, did we ever (in either the show or the book) get any indication of what the deal in the Seven Kingdoms is as regards what each kingdoms owes in services and payments to the Iron Throne? I don't think it's ever really discussed, with the individual kingdoms it seems pretty clear that it's the standard feudal arrangement of providing troops (which really began to die out by the late middle ages as armies transitioned to standing forces of mercenaries, with the nobility gradually becoming a class of privileged, but subservient, officers and bureaucrats) and maybe various taxes and tributes in return for protection, mediation and justice.

The relationship between the Iron Throne and the kingdoms (and their Lords) might be similar, but the dynamic would seem to me to be pretty different also because of distance and relative power, as each of those Lords are very powerful in and off themselves with many lands and followers sworn to them. Do we know if the Iron Throne really demands anything from the kingdoms other than that their Lords do them homage and acknowledge them as the only king? Also that they seem to have some sort of obligation to provide counsel (which was a common part of real life liege-vassal relationships). Since there seems to have been no real attempts at expansion after Aegon's Conquest, there wouldn't really be much need for the kingdoms to provide soldiers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Randarkman posted:

I'm in the process of listening to the audio books again, and this just brings to mind, did we ever (in either the show or the book) get any indication of what the deal in the Seven Kingdoms is as regards what each kingdoms owes in services and payments to the Iron Throne? I don't think it's ever really discussed, with the individual kingdoms it seems pretty clear that it's the standard feudal arrangement of providing troops (which really began to die out by the late middle ages as armies transitioned to standing forces of mercenaries, with the nobility gradually becoming a class of privileged, but subservient, officers and bureaucrats) and maybe various taxes and tributes in return for protection, mediation and justice.

The relationship between the Iron Throne and the kingdoms (and their Lords) might be similar, but the dynamic would seem to me to be pretty different also because of distance and relative power, as each of those Lords are very powerful in and off themselves with many lands and followers sworn to them. Do we know if the Iron Throne really demands anything from the kingdoms other than that their Lords do them homage and acknowledge them as the only king? Also that they seem to have some sort of obligation to provide counsel (which was a common part of real life liege-vassal relationships). Since there seems to have been no real attempts at expansion after Aegon's Conquest, there wouldn't really be much need for the kingdoms to provide soldiers.

Not in the main books. Maybe in the Dunk or whatever the other books are I refuse to read them.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The dunk book and the 300 year prequel book are both fine

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

dr.acula posted:

The dunk book and the 300 year prequel book are both fine

They could be game-changing literature which reshapes the way we view our world and examines the nature and meaning of human consciousness causing a fundamental world-altering paradigm shift, I still wouldn't read them until he finishes the main books which he won't.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

At this point, probably better just to pay Alan Dean Foster to do novelizations of the two final seasons.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I was the lord of Oldtown I sure as gently caress would not be chill with random upjumped mercenary getting Highgarden and also being my liege lord.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

If I was the lord of Oldtown I sure as gently caress would not be chill with random upjumped mercenary getting Highgarden and also being my liege lord.

Bronn being the Lord of the Reach was just preposterous.

e: In the show all the Tyrells died in the church right? And there never was a Willas or a Garlan Tyrell? Who was gonna inherit High Garden? Why would they want to put Loras in the Kingsguard?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 16, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Bronn being the Lord of the Reach was just preposterous.

e: In the show all the Tyrells died in the church right? And there never was a Willas or a Garlan Tyrell? Who was gonna inherit High Garden? Why would they want to put Loras in the Kingsguard?

In teh books at least Maegaery has several cousins at a minimum, and I think the lord of Oldtown was actually related to the Tyrells. Oh no according to the wiki its the commander of the watch who is a Tyrell. In any case, there's just no way that Bronn is going to be lord of Highgarden. Maybe if he never leaves King's Landing he can be lord in absentia but if he went there they'd murder him.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

In teh books at least Maegaery has several cousins at a minimum, and I think the lord of Oldtown was actually related to the Tyrells. Oh no according to the wiki its the commander of the watch who is a Tyrell. In any case, there's just no way that Bronn is going to be lord of Highgarden. Maybe if he never leaves King's Landing he can be lord in absentia but if he went there they'd murder him.

How would he even rule in absentia? He has no existing power network, is not related or married into any of the notable families, he doesn't have an army really. He's just some rear end in a top hat who's good with a sword and gets paid to kill people. How the hell could he rule a medieval kingdom?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Bronn being lord of the reach isn't even worth examining lol. it's complete nonsense.

e: wasn't he also master of coin? ie literally an accountant?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

Bronn being lord of the reach isn't even worth examining lol. it's complete nonsense.

e: wasn't he also master of coin? ie literally an accountant?

Yes, and this is despite there being a scene in an earlier season where he explains he doesn't understand how to borrow money and he's never borrowed money.

I mean you're right, it's so stupid it's not even worth dissecting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well to be honest, Bran probably doesn't really need advisors anyway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More advisors just mean less time for peepin' on folks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Well to be honest, Bran probably doesn't really need advisors anyway.

Except like, he's what 15 or something and knows nothing about anything? I mean he spent half his life wandering around a snowy wilderness. He doesn't know about shipbuilding, or navies, or running an army, or harvesting, or how taxes work, or you know anything of the practical education you'd expect a noble son to have.

This is more a rant about clairvoyance in general, but how does he know when to look? I mean presumably, he experiences events he observes in real-time, so if he wants to see a given feast from five years ago he has to spend two hours watching it, which fine but how does he know exactly when the feast was? Is there some mechanism that allows him to lock into a certain time/place/event without actually knowing when or where it was? Does he have some stroboscopic awareness thing? Does he have a fast forward button if he shows up early for something he wants to see?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's implied that he'll have to look around for the dragon so I assumed he isn't quite "Professor X using Cerebro" levels.

It's still wildly useful (even for simple things like spying or battlefield intelligence) but yeah he's not super smart suddenly either...

Unless that's Bloodraven in there.

E: the warging is underlooked imo and potentially even stronger than the all-sight.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 16, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pseudanonymous posted:

Except like, he's what 15 or something and knows nothing about anything? I mean he spent half his life wandering around a snowy wilderness. He doesn't know about shipbuilding, or navies, or running an army, or harvesting, or how taxes work, or you know anything of the practical education you'd expect a noble son to have.

This is more a rant about clairvoyance in general, but how does he know when to look? I mean presumably, he experiences events he observes in real-time, so if he wants to see a given feast from five years ago he has to spend two hours watching it, which fine but how does he know exactly when the feast was? Is there some mechanism that allows him to lock into a certain time/place/event without actually knowing when or where it was? Does he have some stroboscopic awareness thing? Does he have a fast forward button if he shows up early for something he wants to see?

It's magic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It's stupid.

I agree.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Lord of Oldtown straight up doesn't care about whoever owns Highgarden or the game of thrones because he personally owns Westeros's only university, its only bank, and the Papacy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

Bran can just go look into the past and watch how people that knew how to do any of those things did them.

But yeah it's unclear how much actual time he spends doing that so even if he did want to learn how to run an army he'd still maybe have to spend hours and hours watching some film of Robert running the armies in his rebellion or whatever the hell

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Ginette Reno posted:

Bran can just go look into the past and watch how people that knew how to do any of those things did them.

But yeah it's unclear how much actual time he spends doing that so even if he did want to learn how to run an army he'd still maybe have to spend hours and hours watching some film of Robert running the armies in his rebellion or whatever the hell

Lol the "YouTube" school of leadership development is what you're saying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mameluke posted:

The Lord of Oldtown straight up doesn't care about whoever owns Highgarden or the game of thrones because he personally owns Westeros's only university, its only bank, and the Papacy

well not so much the papacy anymore after cersei fantasy nuked the fantasy vatican off the face of the planet (with zero consequences)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lil Peeler posted:

Lol the "YouTube" school of leadership development is what you're saying.

If it's good enough for a goon to become a battlefield medic and survive a torture prison, then Bran will be just fine.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

well not so much the papacy anymore after cersei fantasy nuked the fantasy vatican off the face of the planet (with zero consequences)

lol, the streets are filled with sparrows, but nobody seems to care since they were all killed in a massive decapitation attack.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

UltraRed posted:

lol, the streets are filled with sparrows, but nobody seems to care since they were all killed in a massive decapitation attack.

I knew I never liked that scene, but I didn't know why until I read this thread. It embodies everything wrong with the story after the books stop.

• Shocking twist
  • Eliminates a bunch of new/developing characters
  • No retribution for Cersi
  • Undermines core themes of the story
  • No more Dormer boobies

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

pseudanonymous posted:

This isn't how people thought in ye olden days. Especially the nobility.

it absolutely is? feudal bonds are about shared capacity to do violence

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I should stop thinking about this show. the more I think, the more I dislike it.

The plotlines got resolved with a "i guess that's that", and "I guess we'll leave well enough alone".

If they did that in the first place nothing in the story would have taken place! Petyr decides to be a bachelor and enjoy his brothel. Jon Arryn remains hand to the king, until he dies of old age, and then Ned becomes hand until he dies of old age. The kingdom eventually falls apart from misuse of finances and the Lannisters take a huge swarth of it, assuming Tywin is still alive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

And the Night King bumbles his way into a complete victory, since Bran isn't there to distract him while a tiny ninja easily kills him.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

UltraRed posted:

The plotlines got resolved with a "i guess that's that", and "I guess we'll leave well enough alone".

If they did that in the first place nothing in the story would have taken place! Petyr decides to be a bachelor and enjoy his brothel. Jon Arryn remains hand to the king, until he dies of old age, and then Ned becomes hand until he dies of old age. The kingdom eventually falls apart from misuse of finances and the Lannisters take a huge swarth of it, assuming Tywin is still alive.

This is Canon now

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

I think it's implied that he'll have to look around for the dragon so I assumed he isn't quite "Professor X using Cerebro" levels.

It's still wildly useful (even for simple things like spying or battlefield intelligence) but yeah he's not super smart suddenly either...

Unless that's Bloodraven in there.

E: the warging is underlooked imo and potentially even stronger than the all-sight.

Bloodraven probably isn't a logistics expert either. Every hour spent using WargTube to learn about sewer maintenance and stormwater management is anour hour spent not spying on ladies in the bath. Better to use his abilities to predict that there's going to be a big storm in 2 days and pass it down the chain so the guy who is in charge of stormwater management knows make sure the drains aren't blocked or whatever.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bloodraven probably isn't a logistics expert either. Every hour spent using WargTube to learn about sewer maintenance and stormwater management is anour hour spent not spying on ladies in the bath. Better to use his abilities to predict that there's going to be a big storm in 2 days and pass it down the chain so the guy who is in charge of stormwater management knows make sure the drains aren't blocked or whatever.

Which would logically be Tyrion, he's the drains guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

You joke, but Precog City Planners is totally a show I'd watch.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Final season of Game of Thrones leading all of tv with 32 emmy nominations

Lmao

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

And the Night King bumbles his way into a complete victory, since Bran isn't there to distract him while a tiny ninja easily kills him.

Her face swapping is never really utilized, either. Yeah, she kills the Freys, but what does that really accomplish? It frees up her uncle so he could get :pwn:ed by his niece in the only scene he appears in, later.

Also, Jon's heritage has nothing to do with the plot. The only thing it does is get Varys killed and make Dany not like him.

Who made up the rule that if you come back from the dead you can leave the Night's Watch? For a crime that carries death, they're pretty loose on its enforcement.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

UltraRed posted:

Who made up the rule that if you come back from the dead you can leave the Night's Watch? For a crime that carries death, they're pretty loose on its enforcement.

Basically, nothing about the Night's Watch makes any sense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

UltraRed posted:

I don't think it was a rule. They swear an oath until death, so he decides that his death discharged his oath and he is free.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Should have just stabbed him again, Jon Snow was a craven, a turncloak and a wildling.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They should have given the throne to that Reed chick. The one who dragged Bran around for God knows how many seasons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think it was a rule. They swear an oath until death, so he decides that his death discharged his oath and he is free.

you know, after he (ab)uses his position to take revenge on a bunch of people who caused his death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cool cool. So there's like one weird trick to get out of the Night's Watch, which is to claim you were killed and brought back to life. Because he gets stabbed then taken to a room alone with a foreign demon worshipper who is a witch, and a pirate, those two claim he's dead, and then they claim he was brought back to life. Thankfully nobody questions this story.