Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Flower Sun and Moon was so weird. I've gotta figure that game out sometime.

Yeah, I meant 64 games that were ported to DS. The DS was certainly capable of handling 64 era games, but they would have been smoother and better looking on 3DS, as Zelda and Star Fox show. Mario 64 suffers from the lack of analog and launch era touch gimmick stuff. And the Mario face start screen minigame thing sucked on DS compared to the 64 one.

Flower, Sun, and Rain, you mean? It's related to the Silver Case duology somewhat, so if you've played those two games, it's perfectly comprehensible.

hahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Er, yeah, Rain. Goddamn that game is weird.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Detective No. 27 posted:

Flower Sun and Moon was so weird. I've gotta figure that game out sometime.

It's a unique experience for sure. After a while I really wished I had the guide book on paper instead of in the game though. I think that's how it was for the PS2 release?

Also, if you write down all your notes and scratch work on paper when you're done you have a notebook that looks like it belongs to a conspiracy theorist.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The White Dragon posted:

ah yes i too long for the ff6 port where they add a bunch of extraneous content that implies that ff:TAY is canon and indicates that the world of FF6 will be destroyed by the crystal eater in a few years

Honestly I was only dimly aware they added anything to the DS Chrono Trigger port so you're right but also it was apparently pretty easy to ignore.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They ported Xenosaga ep I to DS but only in Japan. What a weird idea that was.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They ported Xenosaga ep I to DS but only in Japan. What a weird idea that was.
Not nearly the weirdest thing about Xenosaga, tbh.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

i never understood if there was a relationship between xenogears, xenosaga, and xenoblade

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a japan only DS game by monolith that was very clearly a predecessor to Xenoblade, I can't remember its name though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think I’m gonna go buy a 2DSXL after work cus it’s on sale for $20 less than usual bundled with Mario Kart 7

I don’t care about MK7 so I’m gonna pick up another game to play with it. I’m thinking some kind of JPRG, ideally something that can be picked up and put down at a moments notice so I can gently caress with it during downtime at work. I’m also gonna buy Pokémon Red and probably a new Pokémon game of some kind - “new” for me is anything past like the second or third generation. Anyway what would goons characterize as the best JRPG and the best of the many Pokémons? Cheapness is a compelling factor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frog Act posted:

I think I’m gonna go buy a 2DSXL after work cus it’s on sale for $20 less than usual bundled with Mario Kart 7

I don’t care about MK7 so I’m gonna pick up another game to play with it. I’m thinking some kind of JPRG, ideally something that can be picked up and put down at a moments notice so I can gently caress with it during downtime at work. I’m also gonna buy Pokémon Red and probably a new Pokémon game of some kind - “new” for me is anything past like the second or third generation. Anyway what would goons characterize as the best JRPG and the best of the many Pokémons? Cheapness is a compelling factor

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon for new ones, though anything is fine. X/Y's light on post-game content, but it's still well worth a play.

JRPG-wise, look for Radiant Historia or any of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon for new ones, though anything is fine. X/Y's light on post-game content, but it's still well worth a play.

JRPG-wise, look for Radiant Historia or any of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Thanks! I don’t care much about post game content, usually beating stuff is enough for me, assuming the elite 4 thing still exists I’ll be happy after that. I keep seeing Radiant Historia on “best DS games of all time” lists at like place 3 or 5 so it must be pretty good despite not being a recognizable property for me as someone who generally knows games

I’ve been meaning to play a SMT game for years though so that’s perfect, is Devil Survivor the only one on DS? If not is there another you’d recommend? I just got a PS4 a week or two ago as well so I’m gonna play P5 on that eventually, if there’s any relationship between the two games

Ed: oh dang I see there are a bunch, is there a first one that’s an ideal starting point?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 16, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Frog Act posted:

I’ve been meaning to play a SMT game for years though so that’s perfect, is Devil Survivor the only one on DS? If not is there another you’d recommend? I just got a PS4 a week or two ago as well so I’m gonna play P5 on that eventually, if there’s any relationship between the two games

there's a bunch

Shin Megami Tensei IV: The traditional, mainline SMT game. If you just wanna fuse demons and do rocket tag combat, this is the game for you.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: Kind of a sequel to IV? I've heard it's good but I haven't played it myself?

Strange Journey Redux: Remake of a DS game. Another mainline SMT game; the combat system is roughly the same as IV but this one's a grid-based dungeon crawler. The original got to be kind of a slog but I haven't played the update.

Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker: Both are remakes of DS games. Spinoffs that combine gridmap based combat (like Final Fantasy Tactics) with the traditional SMT battle system. Much more character-focused than most SMT games. They're both good so picking up one or the other is just a matter of personal taste; 1 is more of a dour apocalypse survival story whereas 2 is more lighthearted monster of the week with the best protagonist in the entire franchise.

Devil Summoner Soul Hackers: Remake of an old Saturn game. Haven't played it, know nothing about it, probably old-school as hell.

Persona Q/Q2: Crossover spinoff. Q takes the cast of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and puts them in an Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler. It's like, fine, but there's so many other better SMT games on the console so I'd only recommend it if you're a Persona diehard. Q2 adds the cast of Persona 5 into the mix, but I haven't played it so idk if it's any better overall.

the best starting place would be SMTIV or one of the Devil Survivors, probably

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 16, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! I don’t care much about post game content, usually beating stuff is enough for me, assuming the elite 4 thing still exists I’ll be happy after that. I keep seeing Radiant Historia on “best DS games of all time” lists at like place 3 or 5 so it must be pretty good despite not being a recognizable property for me as someone who generally knows games

Ed: oh dang I see there are a bunch, is there a first one that’s an ideal starting point?

SMT has a billion different spinoffs, but they're usually different subgenres, so it's whatever's to your liking. The Devil Survivor games are remakes of DS games. They're turn based tactical games. (Theyr'e supposed to be good if you're into those.)

SMTIV is an excellent starting point for the franchise. It's basically post apocalypse Japan with demonic Pokemon. You play as a European modeled Samurai from a fantasy land who stumbles into post apocalypse Japan and basically join in a battle between gods from all the pantheons and demons. It's really cool. You can recruit demons to join you, but don't get attached to them like you would a Pokemon. You're strongly encouraged to fuse them to make stronger demons. SMTIV Apocalypse is a side sequel with improvements to the original.

SMT Strange Journey is an excellent remake, but it's more old school first person dungeon crawling, which is kinda polarizing these days. It's an excellent game. Has a story similar to The Thing and the recent Natalie Portman scifi movie Annihilation.

SMT Soul Hackers is a remake of a Sega Saturn RPG game and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're super into 90s cyberpunk and that era's game design.

As far as non-SMT games go, you can't go wrong with Radiant Historia. It feels like a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger in some ways. It's a war story where you jump between two different branching timelines. At various points in one timeline, you'll reach a dead end and have to jump to the other timeline to get a crucial macguffin or a key piece of information that'll let you progress in that timeline. It's really unique. The battle system is good but a bit clunky, they take a while more than most JRPG battles do. But it's worth it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wow, thanks for the super detailed answers, my dudes. I knew it was an extensive series but I didn’t quite grasp just how many titles / genres it covered. SMTIV sounds like a perfect starting place since I’m in the mood for a traditional RPG I can pause frequently at work. Hopefully I can find a copy at GameStop when I go pick up the DS this afternoon

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One thing to note about SMT4: the first dungeon is absolutely brutal in difficulty. Before I started 4, I'd played 3, Strange Journey, both Devil Survivors, and Persona 3 & 4, and it still kicked my rear end ten ways to Tuesday. Personally, I'd recommend starting with Strange Journey (it was my introduction to the series) or one of the Devil Survivor games.

Soul Hackers is a good look into the older (pre-Nocturne) SMT games, but probably not a good starting point. Get your feet wet with one of the newer games first, then decide if you want to work backwards.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. SMT is one of those series that actively hates the player sometimes. Fortunately, there are a bunch of difficulty settings.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's absurdly hard yes, but not terrible if you've played SMT before and otherwise a really good tutorial if you're a masochist. The difficulty curve levels out immediately afterward, so it doesn't affect the rest of the game much, except to demoralize people into playing on easy. I'm like 90% sure it's that difficult because that's how they decided to explain the death mechanic and difficulty switch, but holy gently caress guys you could have just written a tooltip.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Also Apocalypse has a shitload of QoL improvements, definitely check it out if you like SMT.

BlueHeron
Feb 20, 2015
The European eshop has a bunch of RPGs on sale until the 25th:

7th Dragon III Code: VFD - €15.99 / £13.99
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - €15.99 / £13.99
Etrian Odyssey Nexus - €27.99 / £25.19
Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - €27.99 / £24.49
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - €19.99 / £17.49
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse - €15.99 / £13.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - €15.99 / £13.99

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

7th Dragon III might be the best RPG on the 3DS, that no one has played

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

One thing to note about SMT4: the first dungeon is absolutely brutal in difficulty. Before I started 4, I'd played 3, Strange Journey, both Devil Survivors, and Persona 3 & 4, and it still kicked my rear end ten ways to Tuesday. Personally, I'd recommend starting with Strange Journey (it was my introduction to the series) or one of the Devil Survivor games.

Soul Hackers is a good look into the older (pre-Nocturne) SMT games, but probably not a good starting point. Get your feet wet with one of the newer games first, then decide if you want to work backwards.

fwiw SMTIV was literally my intro to the series and while the first dungeon was extremely “you’re going to learn to swim OR ELSE”, I enjoyed that aspect of it

I also liked that feeling in Fromsoft games so take that as you will, just don’t get frustrated if you die a lot because once it clicks you’ll be kicking rear end and taking names

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

fwiw SMTIV was literally my intro to the series and while the first dungeon was extremely “you’re going to learn to swim OR ELSE”, I enjoyed that aspect of it

I also liked that feeling in Fromsoft games so take that as you will, just don’t get frustrated if you die a lot because once it clicks you’ll be kicking rear end and taking names
Yeah, if you enjoy that kind of gameplay, absolutely go play SMT4 first. Just accept that you're probably going to die a surprising amount to random encounters featuring the literal weakest enemies in the game before you manage to even get a full party. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Commander Keene posted:

Eh, SMTIV was my first SMT game of any sort and I did fine, even in the first dungeon. It was rough going at first but the game does explain itself pretty well. I hit a brick wall at an early boss, but I asked for help in the thread and got the tool I need to beat it. The game generally gives you the tools you need to beat an encounter without grinding. Your strategy and party composition are a lot more important.

Also there is a staggering variety of demons in the game. Like, ridonk huge number of demons. And yeah you are definitely encouraged to Fuse your demons often to make stronger demons. You can even summon demons you previously owned at any time by paying a bit of gold. It's surprisingly chill and user-friendly for such a hard game.

And then sometimes a demon will just take your money, call you a loser, and run away. Just remember that demons are dicks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

homeless snail posted:

7th Dragon III might be the best RPG on the 3DS, that no one has played

Word. Same for Stella Glow and Alliance Alive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Additionally, if I were jonesing for a classic Pokémon experience to reintroduce me to the franchise, is there any real reason besides nostalgia to grab red/blue over gold/silver? Silvers original release was the last one j played as a kid, I played red like five years ago and ran out of inventory space and got annoyed pretty quickly, but still had a ton of fun with it. Silver has the original ones, second generation, color graphics, and the same basic gameplay as the first ones right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At that point, you might as well get Crystal.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh wow I thought crystal was way newer but looking st Bulbapedia it appears to just be like a version of Gold/Silver with better everything and extra content. Definitely gonna grab that then

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Unless you have a particular aversion, Ultra Sun/Moon are fantastic. gently caress HMs forever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I always get Alliance Alive and Legend of Legacy mixed up, which one is the good one?

I played the demo for 7th Dragon and thought it was kinda cool but I never saw a physical copy anywhere so my impulse buy button never got pushed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Or if you really have an affinity for those regions, try HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I also found Let’s Go to be a nice re-entry, for me personally, but that’s on Switch obviously.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RichterIX posted:

I always get Alliance Alive and Legend of Legacy mixed up, which one is the good one?

The former. Latter isn't too awful if you grew up trying to figure out SaGa games and think grinding's "part of the experience of JRPGs anyway".

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I will fully admit that the Saga games confused the gently caress out of me as a kid so it sounds like I wouldn't dig Legend of Legacy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'll second HeartGold/Soulsilver as it's the main line Pokemon I played the most of. It has all the charm of the originals plus the QoL updates of the newer games. I know the Suicune quest from Crystal is in it and there's a poo poo ton of other legendaries you can get in game as well since they crammed it full of every Pokemon possible at the time, 493 for a full national dex apparently. A pokewalker is not necessary to play the game but it is a fun little thing to dork around with, if you can even find one now. It was the whole reason I bought HG, but I have extreme nostalgia for the Pocket Pikachu it was based on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Or if you really have an affinity for those regions, try HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I also found Let’s Go to be a nice re-entry, for me personally, but that’s on Switch obviously.

The trick being Crystal is like $5 on the eshop and HG/SS is one of the most expensive pokemon games to find secondhand nowdays last I checked (even before talking about the riskiness of ending up with a counterfeit cart)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The trick being Crystal is like $5 on the eshop and HG/SS is one of the most expensive pokemon games to find secondhand nowdays last I checked (even before talking about the riskiness of ending up with a counterfeit cart)

Buy a flash cart.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So I get why collectors wouldn't want it, and why you should never pay real deal prices for one, but if you just want to play the game do the counterfeits have a downside?

Other than not being a flash cart of course.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sometimes they crash because the person didn't do a good job.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon HeartGold, Soul Silver, Black 1/2, and White 1/2 include an IR blaster for communication features that can't be replicated easily. You'll beat the game, but the challenge mode keys and quick trading won't work without hacking, at which point why not just get a flashcart?

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 17, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If you're open to buying a counterfeit, I don't know what the issue is with getting a flashcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. Get a flashcart instead of a counterfeit. Don't support counterfeiters.