Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Scored another one, 1994 Lite Ace “Field Tourer” 4WD/5 speed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

everdave posted:

Geezer leaf!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Arishtat posted:

Speaking of J70s...

Didn’t catch the exact engine code but it was a turbo diesel with an automatic transmission. The guy has had it for about a m9nth. He bought it to replace an 80 series that is sidelined with a broken track bar mount. He said that he tried to repair it but the axle housing was too corroded to get a good weld going so voila 70 series instead.

And here it is in front of a six month old Tundra in electric Voodoo Blue.

It is probably a pre-1990 J70 then with the BJ series of 4 cyl diesel in it. Prados are all turbo'd, 70 series switched to NA 5 and 6 cyl diesels in 1990 (I think).

everdave posted:

Also :eng101: diesel

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This thread definitely has a type, and I wholeheartedly agree

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I haven't shared my recent jdm import purchase in this thread because it really, really does not fit that type (also to be fair it was done through an importer such as yourselves, not by me).

God I love 4x4 vans and wish I had a reason to own one though.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 16, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:justpost:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

everdave posted:

I decided against bidding on that one when my wife pointed out the scratch along the back half.

I like it though, for sure.

I assume you saw that lwb awd hiace kzh 5speed a few days ago, but man that thing was just too beat.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Blacknose posted:

I haven't shared my recent jdm import purchase in this thread because it really, really does not fit that type (also to be fair it was done through an importer such as yourselves, not by me).

God I love 4x4 vans and wish I had a reason to own one though.

I mean there's trucks, vans, sedans, and coupes represented here..... WTF did you buy?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A forklift, maybe?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah to be fair there's a wide variety, I guess I just pay more attention to the trucks/vans on account of their coolness.

I didn't actually buy anything that exotic at all, its a jdm Legacy tuned by STI, which in its self is one of 600, so somewhat rare, but also is basically just a jdm Legacy GT spec B with some STI stuff bolted to it.

I feel I may have got your hopes up unnecessarily here.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

This is how I found out that it is probably a [FOUR speed instead of a 5 speed, but that's just minor because the 85 5 speed I had didn't like going faster that 55 anyway. Didn't get a 'P DREAM' plate but did get the sticker on the back, rad. The driver's seat is proper hosed, that needs to be re-foamed and re-upholstered, might just do all of the seats. I don't like the wheels at all and am going to want to get something else. Going to put white letter tires on it too because of course. Looks like the applied some sort of goop on top of the cowl panel there, you can kind of tell in the picture under the hood and confirm it in the picture of the VIN plate. Mechanic says everything is good, just has weak AC but thinks a recharge of R12 will do it.

If you need anything, I have a few interior parts that should interchange, and maybe even a right side seat, though shipping would suck all the way across the country. The inclinometer probably broke a tab which causes the ball to rotate away like that. You might be able to fix it, and the silicone oil that it is filled with is available.

Snugtop made a replacement soft top for the Rocky here, and its the same as far as I can tell, being the same body. A sailmaker or convertible shop may just be able to remake that by the pattern.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Blacknose posted:

basically just a jdm Legacy GT spec B with some STI stuff bolted to it.

Nope. That’s cool as hell.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Blacknose posted:

Sorry to contradict you here, but this is boss as hell.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I'm definitely not bored of looking at it yet. Or makin' boost.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blacknose posted:

Yeah to be fair there's a wide variety, I guess I just pay more attention to the trucks/vans on account of their coolness.

I didn't actually buy anything that exotic at all, its a jdm Legacy tuned by STI, which in its self is one of 600, so somewhat rare, but also is basically just a jdm Legacy GT spec B with some STI stuff bolted to it.

Very nice, who did you use if you don't mind me asking? I mean it's been a long time since the old boom days of jdm imports here although it's still possible. Although I regret badly not buying an R32 GT-R when they were like £8000

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I've been watching MotoCheez on Youtube because of this thread. Now I want a mini truck!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Very nice, who did you use if you don't mind me asking? I mean it's been a long time since the old boom days of jdm imports here although it's still possible. Although I regret badly not buying an R32 GT-R when they were like £8000

I got it from Prodrift. There's still a pretty thriving JDM import market, but obviously all the classic late 90s/early 00s cars have hugely inflated prices globally now, and the European competitors have mostly caught up performance wise. Loads of good stuff still being brought in though, including tons of nice Subarus.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Another pricing data point on the Legacy STi trim wagons. A local Alberta, Canada importer has a 2005 on the lot for $8k CAD all in. It is so very tempting.

Edit: That one sold already, so now they have this one https://jdmconnection.ca/inventory/2004-subaru-legacy-2-0gt-spec-b/

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2019

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That's pretty good. 2005s here go for £9k+ and 06+ facelift models start at £10k, assuming low mileage and really good condition.

e;

gratuitous butt shot

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blacknose posted:

I got it from Prodrift. There's still a pretty thriving JDM import market, but obviously all the classic late 90s/early 00s cars have hugely inflated prices globally now, and the European competitors have mostly caught up performance wise. Loads of good stuff still being brought in though, including tons of nice Subarus.

I was wondering if I could get an imported GT86/BRZ cheaper than you'd pay for one over here. Probably not now the pound is so weak.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

friend of mine on FB posted this today... that lot sure looks familiar

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I was wondering if I could get an imported GT86/BRZ cheaper than you'd pay for one over here. Probably not now the pound is so weak.

Looking at used car sites, the cheapest used ones are going for about £7,500 as the market for them here is pretty much saturated.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I'd think with the pound being so low it'd be a waste of time. It's only really worth importing stuff you can't get here now, is my understanding.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

Looking at used car sites, the cheapest used ones are going for about £7,500 as the market for them here is pretty much saturated.

I mean thats cheaper than the bottom end of the market here. But I wonder if shipping will bring it in line with the local ones.

Blacknose posted:

I'd think with the pound being so low it'd be a waste of time. It's only really worth importing stuff you can't get here now, is my understanding.

I think the only modern'ish thing I'd want is something like an Elgrand Camper or something similar, but I already have 2 cars. The GT86 would be a replacement for my old mr2 if I get bored of it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I decided against bidding on that one when my wife pointed out the scratch along the back half.

I like it though, for sure.

I assume you saw that lwb awd hiace kzh 5speed a few days ago, but man that thing was just too beat.

I won this diesel 4wd old man Toyota for 263 I’ll take a big rear end scratch all day long

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blacknose posted:

All vehicles are welcome here, friend.

DJ Commie posted:

If you need anything, I have a few interior parts that should interchange, and maybe even a right side seat, though shipping would suck all the way across the country. The inclinometer probably broke a tab which causes the ball to rotate away like that. You might be able to fix it, and the silicone oil that it is filled with is available.

Snugtop made a replacement soft top for the Rocky here, and its the same as far as I can tell, being the same body. A sailmaker or convertible shop may just be able to remake that by the pattern.

We'll see when it gets here how the top is, if it is the SAME as the USDM Rocky then I can maybe see how difficult it is to move the hardtop parts to my Rugger. Thanks for the advice on the inclinometer, again I'll have to see it when it gets here if its empty or if the tab is broken like you suggest. If the seats are the same I might take you up on your right side seat offer, the one in this looks beat and you can bet your rear end I won't be able to easily find a seat in Japan, maybe worldwide, and the shipping is going to be WAY more than across the USA for one of those.

There is an Aussie guy on Instagram that deciphered the chassis ID for me, he's into Daihatsus:

quote:

you officially own a unicorn. A soft top turbo should only exist in LHD for the European market. Those letters “MGT”: M=5 speed, G=grade (no listing for this spec, T=Turbo. DL50 engine has thrown me too, all turbo 2.8 records I have are DL52. Love the 250kg load sticker still on the back, I may have exceeded that on occasion. 😮

It turns out that I DO have a 5 speed after all, that's just an aftermarket shift knob. Makes sense since its wood.

snugglz posted:

friend of mine on FB posted this today... that lot sure looks familiar

:hellyeah:

Dock pics of that lil' white Joy Pop we bought are in:

The latest in a long line of "never washed" vehicles, though besides the now-yellow (wtf) front floor mats it IS incredibly clean. Wonder what that tape is....

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sweet rear end van yo!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Everdave, I'd be interested to hear how well that drives on the freeway once you get it. Having the true two range transfer case would be a huge boon out here in the mountains but our freeways are 80 and I am wondering how one of those keeps up at those sorts of speeds (going up grades I assume it slows down to 45) with the c series diesels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Everdave, I'd be interested to hear how well that drives on the freeway once you get it. Having the true two range transfer case would be a huge boon out here in the mountains but our freeways are 80 and I am wondering how one of those keeps up at those sorts of speeds (going up grades I assume it slows down to 45) with the c series diesels.

The gasoline 5 speed 1991 Lite Ace (4WD) was a champ on the interstate, with no issues with gearing or engine speeds or anything. Along with the HiAce it was one of the better highway cruising vans we've had. Assuming all things being equal everdave's would be similar, though I do hear lots of complaints with the c series diesel in regards to it being slow as gently caress especially at altitude.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
have you done much off roading with any of the 4x4 vans?
how do they hold up?

i've lusted after one for some time, now and am seriously considering getting rid of my iltis for something equally dumb and fun.
i'd like whatever i get to be more usable in everyday scenarios, though and be a bit less terrifying on the highway.

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 21, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gomi Day posted:

have you done much off roading with any of the 4x4 vans?
how do they hold up?

i've lusted after one for some time, now and am seriously considering getting rid of my iltis for something equally dumb and fun.
i'd like whatever i get to be more usable in everyday scenarios, though and be a bit less terrifying on the highway.

Have not no, I'm strictly a mall crawler. How it goes though is that Delicas are the best for off-road as they are true low range, more substantial running gear rigs. They are slow though, with the L300s (aka Star Wagons) being pretty much topped out at 55 mph. They aren't terrifying or weird on the interstate, you're just slow.
LiteAces are like Delicas in that they are real deal off-road vehicles being that a lot of their drivetrain is derived from the Hilux. These are better on the roads since they have gearing that allows higher speeds, but as mentioned the deisel is sloooowww, though I do not know what either the Delicas or LiteAces are like with automatics as we've only had manuals.
The Toyota HiAce is the best imho, goddamned Lexus super van as far as I'm concerned. Get one with the KZ and you have a lot of grunt, it will fly down the interstate at 70 mph and be gloriously comfortable doing it. Downside is they are full-time 4WD so do not have low range. Practically I don't know what that means in off-road capability just that it is a difference.

My favorite is the HiAces, if I had to pick one that is absolutely the best.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am actively bidding on Caravan/Homy 4wds (Nissans). Big vans with switchable 4wd and diesel. I’ll be buying one this week or a nice Hi Ace if the bidding goes my way.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I drove my automatic L300 Delica up north through BC highways and it was not a fast car, but it was totally fine. I think so long as your local highways aren't super aggro with folks going 140km/h or something it'd be fine. The Delica is quite happy to go 90-110km/h on the highway.

I had a great time driving the Delica in the city of Vancouver before I left, and on the highway. It has handled itself admirably off road as well. It's a fantastic car.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's the issue, my local highways around here are absolutely 80mph meaning people go 85 or 90. I need something that can keep up with at least 65-70mph on a 7% grade (provided I get a running start) and at least 80mph on flat ground.

Kinda feels like a kzh hiace is my only real choice for this. I've basically fully discounted the delica due to slowness (and reliability, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the desert in a delica whose 2.5d gave up the ghost.)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Have you guys seen any Toyota Century's come up on the bidding block?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Russian Bear posted:

I saw a mint late 90s LS400 in green yesterday and it made me hunger for a Century luxobarge with wool seats :swoon:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

There are always some up, but the V12 goodness isn’t legal for a few more years. They go for surprisingly little money.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

That's the issue, my local highways around here are absolutely 80mph meaning people go 85 or 90. I need something that can keep up with at least 65-70mph on a 7% grade (provided I get a running start) and at least 80mph on flat ground.

Kinda feels like a kzh hiace is my only real choice for this. I've basically fully discounted the delica due to slowness (and reliability, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the desert in a delica whose 2.5d gave up the ghost.)

You definitely want the kzh. The 3L in mine is fine around town and off-road but its all the way wound out on a 70mph highway and will actually lose speed on even small grades.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I should clarify and state that the diesel LiteAces are slow in so much as how they accelerate, not in their actual top speeds they can reach. I don't know if the LiteAces have differences in gearing or transmissions between the gasoline and diesel models. If they don't then a diesel LiteAce will do highway speeds just like the gasoline ones, just going to take you a while to get up there. Though now that I'm re-reading your post I see the 7% grade and yeah, sounds like the KZ HiAce is your jam.

There is also the Delica SpaceGears that come with the 2800 cc turbo diesel Mitsubishi engine. By all accounts the SpaceGear Delicas are better than the StarWagons across the board in comfort, power, and reliability. Too bad they look like lifted third-gen Caravans to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
1984 Acty. 16k confirmed miles. 4wd. Straight fire. Just won. 10th car this year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!