Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

graventy posted:

In what way am I defending him? This thread has been remarkably dismissive of the rape, even going so far as to say it wasn't rape at all for a few crazy pages. That's the only thing I'm trying to argue. He's a lovely guy, that doesn't mean he deserves his fate. No one deserves their fate in this movie!

His last half hour is a horrific descent, in parallel to her (in many ways equally horrific) ascent.

Apologies, maybe I read a bit too much into that, but yeah, I think this grinding away to establish the magnitude of Christians suffering to be some sort of defense or call of awareness. Even describing his end as a horrific descent is incredibly off the mark for me, I would describe the end of Midsommar as cartoonish catharsis. If you described the rape and immolation of a random person in dry newscaster fashion, sure, that would be horrific. But the movie clearly doesn't view it that way, because clearly the hands operating the camera, editing the film, and directing the movie don't view it that way.

In summation, Guy in the Easter Bunny suit in Critters 2 <--Christian--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Monica Bellucci in Irréversible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Something I think is missing from this thread's discourse re: Christian (my apologies if it had indeed been brought up or I'm just crazy and seeing something that's not there), is the way I took the moment where he steals Josh's thesis, which came off to me as something of a plot twist or reveal: before this scene Christian, while undoubtedly a major douche and a lovely boyfriend, mostly came off as just an idiot and emotionally immature. But in this scene and afterward it's like we see his mask slip a bit and he is altogether something much more sinister, maybe even sociopathic. Josh even says something to the effect of "You know exactly what you're doing", and he delivers it with such emphasis it signaled to me that we should extrapolate that to all of Christian's behavior, both what preceded and what comes after.

K. Waste posted:

Like, in one sense, the feminist critique is absolutely correct. Christian is literally a victim of coercion...

But in another way, we are compelled to consider Christian as not simply this person who is duped into being made sacrifice. Like, a huge part of the movie is that when he first witnesses the Ättestupa, his impulsive reaction is moral relativism: Oh, you can't judge these people, this is how they've found a way to make their society have meaning. And not only that, he's like, "Okay, I'm gonna stick around and see more, this is my thesis." This is clearly not just an academic interest for Christian and, no, this is not just about him being a stereotypical scumbag slasher film boyfriend. The Ättestupa resonates deeply with him,

I also definitely felt like Christian had a deeper fascination with the cult than realizing they'd make for a killer thesis and I kept waiting for the movie to make it more explicit what exactly interests him so much. The way I saw it is that he admired the way the cult manipulates people and he wanted to study the mental abuse techniques of the masters - holy poo poo they're able to get people to happily kill themselves and each other, I need to get in on this!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Q: What rune should I use to get my nagging girlfriend to sacrifice herself?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Something I think is missing from this thread's discourse re: Christian (my apologies if it had indeed been brought up or I'm just crazy and seeing something that's not there), is the way I took the moment where he steals Josh's thesis, which came off to me as something of a plot twist or reveal: before this scene Christian, while undoubtedly a major douche and a lovely boyfriend, mostly came off as just an idiot and emotionally immature. But in this scene and afterward it's like we see his mask slip a bit and he is altogether something much more sinister, maybe even sociopathic. Josh even says something to the effect of "You know exactly what you're doing", and he delivers it with such emphasis it signaled to me that we should extrapolate that to all of Christian's behavior, both what preceded and what comes after.

Yeah I mentioned that a little bit many pages back. That’s when you really realize he’s not just a bad boyfriend but an all around lovely, selfish person

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
lotta dirtbag boyfriends in this thread

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

JudgeX posted:

buncha luke p's if you ask me

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

JudgeX posted:

That's very inconsiderate of their dirtbag feelings.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching the movie last night really sold K. WASTE's argument to me, but also I'm now convinced Christian is a sociopath.

I also noticed more small details, like in the beginning when the trip is first brought up during the party, Pelle is watching Dani the entire time for her reaction or subtle reference that everyone in the commune intuits that Dani is special. She is watched and stared at by commune members in most scenes, and every interaction with an Elder is either directed at her or presented in such a way to include her. I also noticed the face in the threes in the 3rd act that people had mentioned, and had tried to see if there were more.

Seeing it a second time let me soak more of it without worrying about where it was going. The humor really landed more with me, but my audience was quieter/more serious this time. I saw it with three friends and they all loved it as well.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Natural progression of the thread right here

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I agree, and there's also the fact that we like never once see Christian pick up a pen, compared with Josh who constantly has notebooks and laptops with him recording everything.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
saw this last night, and liked it a lot. Not quite as good as Hereditary, but also much less immediate than that movie, I think. This one begs for a second viewing even more, and I'm excited to give it one and keep an eye out for all the details assuredly scattered around.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guilty posted:

I agree, and there's also the fact that we like never once see Christian pick up a pen, compared with Josh who constantly has notebooks and laptops with him recording everything.

Pretty much all of Christian's interview questions to the Elders are about dating or sex, and Josh's are about spiritual practice or practical, like how they choose an Oracle, how the Commune is funded, etc.

Christian only cares about the sensational aspects of the cult, like he's trying to make them fit the mold/stereotype of what he thought a Commune was when he signed up for the trip.

Unrelated, but one of my favorite jokes in the film is the music that plays at the arrival to the commune being revealed as diegetic, and the musicians follow people around.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Aster should be making interpersonal drama movies and not horror.

This movie sets up some absolutely fantastic character dynamics - a group of people who (mostly) are very believable, have understandable goals and flaws with legitimately interesting relationships.

Similarly to the scene where the brother gets home and flops in bed in Hereditary, this films opening made me feel absolutely sick: It was a perfect, masterful depiction of the kind of stomach-churning-grief that can change a person forever. The relationship set up between Dani, her boyfriend and the catalysing friends was the perfect mix of tension to bubble under the surface of he narrative.

And then at the end people walk around and look at the camera confused for 40 minutes, with the movie almost randomly injecting weird imagery as if to say “it’s a horror! Look! Are ya scared yet? It’s a scaaaaary horror movie!!!!”

Hereditary kiiiiiiiinda had a similar problem. In both movies you can argue the ending is “a manifestation of the characters problems come to symbolic fruition” but it’s just not interesting. At the end of this movie I had no idea what I was meant to feel, and the most I can really summon reflecting on it is a “so what?”

Whatt he movie is doing, on paper, is interesting; it's exploring indoctrination. The kind of outsiders that could be "drawn" to the cult are people who have lost something - Dani, in this case, really wants a new family (Pelle's sphiel is what gets her to stay, and it's what he found in the cult). In order for her to be "fully" absorbed she then needs to give up a piece of her old life herself in the form of Chris. The problem is that none of it is loving interesting to watch and it's presented in near comical fashion. The more I think about the ending of theis movie the more it pisses me off.

VVVVVVV: I'm not saying good people, but I think Josh/Chris are believable and I buy their interactions. Really loving weird no one called Josh out though - I'd be pissed if my friend got me to watch a ritual suicide "for a laugh"

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 17, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

I could see this argument for Hereditary (i’d still disagree though cuz Hereditary was scary as gently caress) but Midsommar has only one even close to well rounded character and it’s Dani

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Ari really tapped into something real with Christain, he's such a genuine dirtbag college kid.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Elderbean posted:

Ari really tapped into something real with Christain, he's such a genuine dirtbag college kid.

"Just smoked some resin at Mark's and now we're getting pizza" is a pretty incredible first line.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Just smoked some resin at Mark's and now we're getting pizza" is a pretty incredible first line.

The delivery too. I immediately hated him lol

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So what's the moral of this movie?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

trip balls and burn bears erryday

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Do some research before you visit a cult.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yew Tree extract is not an efficient pain killer.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If you don’t want to be in a relationship, don’t be in a relationship.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Don't be a boor, or you'll be a bear.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Don’t drink the hallucination laced tea.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Non-joke version: the only true utopia is one you can leave

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The real treasure was the friends you sacrificed along the way

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

I think whatever moral (if any, I don't think every movie NEEDS a moral) this movie has depends on the viewers own experiences. It's an insight into what it feels like when an abusive relationship slowly implodes, and whatever you take out of that is what you get. This film could've nixed the deaths and replaced Swedish Cult with a trip to Disneyland, and that implosion would still be an inevitability. I think all the spooky poo poo is just incredibly beautiful window dressing, for better or worse.

I walked away from Midsommar finding a lot of similarities between Dani and Christians interactions and my own toxic relationships, and I can def understand someone who hasn't gone through similar to not be hit by those moments the same way I was.

Not pretending to know anyone's personal history or saying criticisms about the structure aren't valid unless you're watching in my same mindset, but I suppose my point is ymmv

v :) v

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 17, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goofus ignores the mental health and well being of his girlfriend and stays in the relationship way longer than he should, Gallant draws a nice portrait of her for her birthday and inducts her into his cult

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Drive an electric car

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

QuoProQuid posted:

Midsommar and The Bachelorette are more similar than they are different. Change my mind.

(The bear suit ritual is a metaphor for the symbolic self-immolation of the season's villain getting boo'ed on "The Men Tell All." Christian was there for the wrong reasons.)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I can see the comparisons to Hostel, not in the filmmaking or the execution but the general idea of being a dumb idiot American tourist stuck in a culture you don't understand and have openly mocked.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I never tire of that stereotype because it's just so accurate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

I can see the comparisons to Hostel, not in the filmmaking or the execution but the general idea of being a dumb idiot American tourist stuck in a culture you don't understand and have openly mocked.

Structurally they're similar. A few opening scenes of horror, then mostly a comedic first half, and then a horrific 2nd half.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Franchescanado posted:

Structurally they're similar. A few opening scenes of horror, then mostly a comedic first half, and then a horrific 2nd half.

It's been years since I watched Hostel, but I dont think theyre comparable because Midsommar deals with the aftermath of violence while Hostel revels in the act itself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gejimayu posted:

It's been years since I watched Hostel, but I dont think theyre comparable because Midsommar deals with the aftermath of violence while Hostel revels in the act itself.

That doesn't negate what I said at all. I am talking about the actual way the movie is structured, with both concentrating on comedy and setting up characters in the first half, and then the second building into horror / violence. Hostel doesn't get into the torture or violence until the 2nd half of the film. The first half is them on vacation, loving around with locals, and then their friend going missing. Their friend going missing is the catalyst that pushes it into horror. Before that it's just a sex comedy.

And, really, both play with the impending threat of violence/death. But you're right, Hostel revels in it, Midsommar is almost clinical about it in parts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Franchescanado posted:

That doesn't negate what I said at all. I am talking about the actual way the movie is structured, with both concentrating on comedy and setting up characters in the first half, and then the second building into horror / violence. Hostel doesn't get into the torture or violence until the 2nd half of the film. The first half is them on vacation, loving around with locals, and then their friend going missing. Their friend going missing is the catalyst that pushes it into horror. Before that it's just a sex comedy.

And, really, both play with the impending threat of violence/death. But you're right, Hostel revels in it, Midsommar is almost clinical about it in parts.

Midsommar is also very, very sparse with its horror.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

it's a breakup movie not a horror movie so idk what you're on about

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JudgeX posted:

it's a breakup movie not a horror movie so idk what you're on about

These are mutually exclusive to you?

The Shining and Possession aren't horror movies anymore?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the shining's not much of a horror movie either and a good comparison. horror's such a loosy-goosy genre anyway b/c the major elements just make good watching. aguirre builds a sense of dread but it's not horror. and adding supernatural elements to a kubrik movie makes it magical realism as much as horror.

a lot of midsommar's characterization is weak but calling it horror first and foremost greatly undersells how focused the movie is on dani's journey through a critical point in her life and how the relationships in her life affect her ability to do so.

it's freaky as hell, but if it weren't billed as horror, i dont think it would have earned the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Midsommar is also very, very sparse with its horror.

It hedges very close to being a musical, which is basically it's one truest nod to The Wicker Man. He kind of scaled it back though and made it more like Vox Lux.

gently caress me, there's a double feature.

Gejimayu posted:

I mean, the opposite is true considering that the extended climax of Hostel is about what someone does in the aftermath of the violence. It's a "rape and revenge" movie, just with a chainsaw as a dick. The entire film is predicated on the endurance of horrific violence and what it does to the character on a totally debasing level. That there is still violence that follows doesn't necessarily conflict with that.

Midsommar is very similar in how it goes about not differentiating between the aftermath of violence and its omnipresence. It's just that in this context it's not so much about the post-traumatic stress caused by violence, it's the allure of suicidal ideation. It's a movie where a guy who has a crush on you is basically, like, "Yo, join my big family and be on a roller for random sacrifice auction, let's play Russian Roulette all the years of our lives!" This is where the movie is the most deeply metaphorical, in Pelle's obvious premeditated infatuation with Dani basically coming around to the near certainty that this is a murder-suicide pact. The film is not so much reductively about the violence as it is about the undergirding, dystopian framework of the utopia that Dani's buying into, over-determined by her trauma with visible modernity.

JudgeX posted:

the shining's not much of a horror movie either and a good comparison. horror's such a loosy-goosy genre --

Yeah, okay, so back it up, then, yeah, it is a loosy-goosy genre, and it obviously includes The Shining.

Also, I'm not sure how you're gonna do in this discussion when you're saying that calling anything horror "undersells" it. Pop on over to Horror Thread, you'll see a lot of familiar faces.