Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The biggest issue with Warren is more that she's said she'll end the small donor thing in the general election if nominated. That, more than anything else, shows that the commitment is pretty shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
2800 is the limit to individual candidates. The limit on individual donations to national committees is 106k. In this case, Warren got the multimillionaire to give 100k to the DNC on her behalf.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Does anyone know why Democrats are having to pay democrats for voter data or is rent seeking just the norm--- I know what the answer is gently caress these idiots

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Does anyone know why Democrats are having to pay democrats for voter data or is rent seeking just the norm--- I know what the answer is gently caress these idiots

NGP VAN is a private company. Dems can't even do their own poo poo in house.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pembroke Fuse posted:

NGP VAN is a private company. Dems can't even do their own poo poo in house.

That's on purpose. If they do it in house they have to share equally with all candidates.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is what I'm talking about, more of this please.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This is entirely bad headline context. Biden was asked what he’d do if Trump attacks his mental capacity and Biden said in kinder words that he’d point out how fat Trump is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

This is entirely bad headline context. Biden was asked what he’d do if Trump attacks his mental capacity and Biden said in kinder words that he’d point out how fat Trump is.

Yeah but Biden looks and comes off as seriously infirm in basically every appearance he makes nowadays, so...it's not really believable, no matter what way you slice it. He's in better shape than Trump, but lordy that's a low bar.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not sure that an in depth plan to counter "you're senile" with "oh yeah, well you're fat" is actually any better than the headline.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1151256642463383553

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Oof, not good. He really should have spelt it as "bern."
This is going to hurt his brand in the polls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If this man becomes president he will kill us all

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess that if you manipulate the data points enough you can weave a story where the cops you're supposed to be overseeing couldn't possibly do anything wrong.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Gripweed posted:

Why.

Why are numbers fuckstein so utterly broken.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

The same reason most people dont know how to cook, the system never challenges them.

In an office no one challenges the person who says something akin to "I can work that up in an excel sheet" even if it might be the stupidest, most labor intensive way to go about a task.

What I'm getting at is he's a human pivot table.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

A deep fear of mine is that the next (and possibly last) generation of politicians will all have computer science degrees

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's like how some people link the rise in violent crime in the 80s to the widespread use of leaded paint in the 50s, 30 years from now people are gonna be linking all kinds of societal ills to our modern obsession with STEM education.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gripweed posted:

It's like how some people link the rise in violent crime in the 80s to the widespread use of leaded paint in the 50s, 30 years from now people are gonna be linking all kinds of societal ills to our modern obsession with STEM education.

How else do you explain the rise of Numbers Fuckstein?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Calibanibal posted:

A deep fear of mine is that the next (and possibly last) generation of politicians will all have computer science degrees

As if computer science graduates have enough charisma to get elected

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

Liberalism

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

theflyingorc posted:

As if computer science graduates have enough charisma to get elected

In the land where everyone lives on their phone, the app developers are philosopher-king

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

the_steve posted:

Oof, not good. He really should have spelt it as "bern."
This is going to hurt his brand in the polls.

nah that's what he calls jerking off

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

It's the Democratic Party leeching resources from their own candidates in order to support party leadership organizations. In addition to the six-digit fee, getting access to the voter data also requires contractually agreeing to engage in a whole bunch of fundraising activities to benefit the DNC.

quote:

In addition to the $175,000 price tag on the voter file, according to a copy of the agreement obtained by BuzzFeed News, candidates who purchase the voter file must also agree to appear at one or more DNC fundraising events every three months during the duration of their bid for the nomination. At each fundraising-event appearance — dubbed "signature event(s)" in the term sheet — candidates will also be asked to record a short video in support of the DNC.

Campaigns must also sign at least one DNC fundraising email every three months, with donations split evenly between the campaign and the DNC. Separate from the emails to the DNC’s list, campaigns will also participate in a partywide fundraising day, slated for Aug. 7, 2019, sending an email to their own list. Those donations, too, will be split equally.

According to the term sheet, candidates who use the voter file will continue raising money for the party even after they drop out of the race, sending three additional emails to the DNC list before Election Day in 2020.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Death by a thousand macros.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is what I'm talking about, more of this please.

Unsurprisingly, there is no mention whatsoever of this exchange in Costa's writeup of the interview.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

"Look it's easy just do X"

-Yang, Butt, other techie engineers so specialized into specific pigeonholes they have absolutely no clue why other problems might genuinely be hard

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

The only ideology of liberalism is to maintain plausible deniability of the horrors of the world.

"Well how do you know that those horrors are actually real? You see I have empirical data points arranged in my excell spreadsheet graphed out, which actually show..."

That's why they are so fundamentally broken; they are a physical manifestation of mental gymnastics.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

joepinetree posted:

2800 is the limit to individual candidates. The limit on individual donations to national committees is 106k. In this case, Warren got the multimillionaire to give 100k to the DNC on her behalf.

I still don’t get how that’s not an over the cap in kind donation to Warren. The effect is that you are giving her access to something she otherwise would not have been able to access and that is valued at $100k.

How is that any different than paying a commercial landlord $100k on behalf of Warren for her to use as a campaign HQ? Or to a jet company on her behalf to fly her around?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Warren never promised not to fly around in a private corporate jet so I'm not sure why you bring it up?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gripweed posted:

That's the sort of poo poo that comes from thinking comics are based in reality.
Like, years ago, there was an issue of Fantastic 4 where Reed reveals that he got bored one day and invented a mathematical formula that could predict the future, and that's what that quote sounds like to me, someone thinking they're going to Fuckstein the math formula for omniscience.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RuanGacho posted:

What I'm getting at is he's a human pivot table.

Unfair, pivot tables are at least useful like 10% of the time. When you can't just apply some filters or conditional formatting or do a VLOOKUP. Bernie is VLOOKUP

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Reverend Dr posted:

The only ideology of liberalism is to maintain plausible deniability of the horrors of the world.

"Well how do you know that those horrors are actually real? You see I have empirical data points arranged in my excell spreadsheet graphed out, which actually show..."

That's why they are so fundamentally broken; they are a physical manifestation of mental gymnastics.

Yup, it's this. "Well yeah, I mean sure, NAFTA fucks over a bunch of people, but LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE IT BENEFITS! All we need to do is take power back from the Republicans, and then we can turn the knobs slightly and it'll gently caress over less people. Promise!"

Calibanibal posted:

Warren never promised not to fly around in a private corporate jet so I'm not sure why you bring it up?

Sexism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gripweed posted:

So close to understanding that a lot of "data science" is basically just manipulating the data to tell you whatever you want it to say.

I don't trust pretty much anyone who doesn't have a graduate degree in statistics to deal with "big data" properly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

It's not real. It's a story, just like the stories we tell in cover letters about how our entry-level garbage jobs changed our lives or whatever. That's what they're taught to do from a young age. They learn how to convert every single experience they've ever had into a story of life-changing importance that can be used on a college admissions essay or something, and by the time they're done with their elite education and don't need to pretend they're earning it with merit anymore, the behavior is baked too deep into their brains to turn off.

I looked up the quote (turns out his book is readable for free online in Google Books) to get some context, and that's definitely the kind of thing he's doing there: crafting bullshit for an audience. He presents his work at McKinsey not as a job, but as just another chapter in his education and personal progression. He claims he chose McKinsey not because it fit his skills and education, but because after graduating with honors from Oxford he knew he had to get out of his cloistered elite bubble and learn about the hard, gritty real world beyond the cozy confines of university classrooms.

Similarly, when he left McKinsey, he claims it wasn't because he hated spending 80-hour weeks crunching grocery store price data to optimize sale price timing. Instead, he claims that it's because he had just been there to learn, and now that he felt he had learned all they could teach him, it was time to graduate from the School of McKinsey and find a worthy cause to dedicate his life to...

...and then he completely abandons that whole "sense of purpose" storyline as he shifts gears to talk about how he realized that as a member of the upper class, it's his responsibility to join the military like the Kennedies and Bushes did. No talk of cause or purpose here - he's very clear that the reason he joined the reserves was so it could be just a temporary thing, a way to rack up a couple years of military service without being a career officer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

So close to understanding that a lot of "data science" is basically just manipulating the data to tell you whatever you want it to say.

I don't trust pretty much anyone who doesn't have a graduate degree in statistics to deal with "big data" properly.

Even then you have to be hyper aware of bias and basic human psychology to properly interpret results. 90% of big data fitting your data to a conclusion and not the other way around.

That doesn't even scratch the problem of the data being poo poo in the first place.

As someone that does data analysis, I assume the problem is only going to be worse as the data tools for this kind of thing get into more and more peoples hands. Add AI into the mix and we will have all sorts of bad insights coming out of the big data woodwork.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Either Harris is embracing MMT (she's not) or there's no way she's implementing a M4A plan, since you can't finance it without taxes on the middle class

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1151503179588263937

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Is it possible to do M4A without a tax increase on those making less than 250K? I bet it could be done but that's not what she's selling most likely.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I still don’t get how that’s not an over the cap in kind donation to Warren. The effect is that you are giving her access to something she otherwise would not have been able to access and that is valued at $100k.

How is that any different than paying a commercial landlord $100k on behalf of Warren for her to use as a campaign HQ? Or to a jet company on her behalf to fly her around?

There's not very much detail available, since the actual terms are confidential and the only outlet that's reported on them is Buzzfeed, but it looks like the justification is as follows: campaigns can buy voter file access from the DNC, or the DNC will provide it for free to any campaign that manages to get people to donate a certain amount of money to the DNC. I don't know whether that counts as an in-kind contribution or not; these articles about Warren getting someone to donate the money in her place are literally the only articles that mention that ability to have a donor do it, at all.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Ytlaya posted:

Y'all remember that machine learning resume sorting algorithm that flagged for hire anyone named Jared (not the white house, it was a different company)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is it possible to do M4A without a tax increase on those making less than 250K? I bet it could be done but that's not what she's selling most likely.

yes. Requires a lot from the top brackets though