Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Deakul posted:

and the story from what little I remember of it was surprisingly worse than Fallout 3.

It really wasn't.

It's partly a futile job of differentiating between the quality of poo poo as no Fallout game had really good writing or strong main storyline. There are interesting sci-fi concepts, great worldbuilding and background lore. But even the best of them - New Vegas - is very unevenly written. And Fallout 3 is the worst of the bunch but it has some of the best writing in the series like Eden's speeches (though it may be just Malcom McDowell being able to make supermarket cheque sound interesting).

Fallout 4 has dropped the idea that every quest should have multiple solutions. Most "big" quests still have that but it's more about which quests you do or not do at all. But the writing itself and voice acting is far better than in Fallout 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

ilitarist posted:

But I would recommend cranking up difficulty to max level cause it makes you think hard about your equipment and skill choices. Unlike previous Bethesda games, this difficulty doesn't just double HP and damage of your enemies. Usually it means that, say, stealth becomes less useful as you can no longer one-shot enemy from stealth and thus you'd better get combat skills instead. You can still one-shot weaker enemies but also meet more unique bosses, each one brings some unique equipment.

The two bolded parts aren't related are they? On Survival, you do 150% damage and take 200% damage so it's somewhat balanced (until you run into an NPC that tosses a molotov, you've got a split second to react and you die on contact from it). Very Hard turns enemies into bullet sponges by halving the damage you do and doubling the damage you take.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I marvel at the brain worms that can cause people to believe Fallout 3, 4, or New Vegas is poo poo, and cause those people to feel it so deeply that they share what the brain worms made them think in an AC thread.

They're good games, Brent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of lovely games that I inexplicably like, has anyone tried the AC3 remaster yet. Is it any good

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
So the final dlc is out now, did anyone actually side with Aita, what was behind the door? Just the big arm fucker but early?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

will installing mods ban me from online activities or anything? I enjoy Odyssey a lot but enemies are just too health spongey for me to put up with on easy

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There are no online activities, you're playing a single-player games. The other characters you're seeing are NPCs, not players roleplaying.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lambert posted:

There are no online activities, you're playing a single-player games. The other characters you're seeing are NPCs, not players roleplaying.

:thunk:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, go for a hunter/bow build. It's extremely powerful, enemies will melt away with that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of lovely games that I inexplicably like, has anyone tried the AC3 remaster yet. Is it any good

It would take a lot more than a remaster to polish that turd

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

homullus posted:

I marvel at the brain worms that can cause people to believe Fallout 3, 4, or New Vegas is poo poo, and cause those people to feel it so deeply that they share what the brain worms made them think in an AC thread.

They're good games, Brent.
it's pretty damning that in retrospect, FO4 is by far the least of the gamebryo RPGs

Like, of course it's not gonna top Morrowind or New Vegas but we're talking about it having less depth than Skyrim and a worse story than FO3 with shitter DLC than Oblivion

If you really, really need that Bethesda RPG fix you can play it and with mods the gameplay itself is tolerable, especially the first DLC, but there are so many other, much better games out there to play or even interesting, flawed games (Play STALKER to find out what Bethesda ripped off!)

Ainsley McTree posted:

It, is not good. Even the DLC isnt as fun as I remembered and you can't get those powers in the main game

Still mad they mad the incredibly poo poo choice of picking the absolute dullest and lamest part of the Americas as their setting for that really and only having a glimpse of the interesting parts in the turd vita game

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I mean it's a pretty good game, the world is huge but shallow (there's a lot of bullshit radiant quests that are just 'go here, kill X'). They also added in romances but they're all really brief and kinda pointless and the main plot is really meandering and poorly paced, plus they added a lot more heavy sci-fi elements that don't really fit the theme of the series. There's a bunch of new game mechanics that don't really mesh that well either but can be fun to mess around with. The combat is probably the best in the series though and the female VA is great, even if overall the game that came just before it in the series (made by different devs) was a lot tighter and more well-written.

So yeah I would recommend Fallout 4/Assassin's Creed Odyssey :v:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean it's a pretty good game, the world is huge but shallow (there's a lot of bullshit radiant quests that are just 'go here, kill X'). They also added in romances but they're all really brief and kinda pointless and the main plot is really meandering and poorly paced, plus they added a lot more heavy sci-fi elements that don't really fit the theme of the series. There's a bunch of new game mechanics that don't really mesh that well either but can be fun to mess around with. The combat is probably the best in the series though and the female VA is great, even if overall the game that came just before it in the series (made by different devs) was a lot tighter and more well-written.

well played

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Speaking of mods, was there a mod (should I spoiler this?) that lets you wear Kassandra's modern day suit? I half want to do a new game+ and it'd be a fun gimmick costume

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

:golfclap:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

jisforjosh posted:

The two bolded parts aren't related are they? On Survival, you do 150% damage and take 200% damage so it's somewhat balanced (until you run into an NPC that tosses a molotov, you've got a split second to react and you die on contact from it). Very Hard turns enemies into bullet sponges by halving the damage you do and doubling the damage you take.

They are related.

Survival certainly feels better balanced, but as I've said it's not for everyone. On Very Hard or whatever it's called your damage is lowered, yes, but in reality, it means that the game switches from "anything goes" (by Cole Porter) to forcing you to specialize. All those +20% damage perks make sure that you can't use unfamiliar weapons effectively, except maybe Fatman (but it's very heavy and dangerous so it's balanced in a different way) or grenades (which is a support weapon anyone can use). So enemies never become spongy enough so that you can't stealth one-shot grunts or heavily damage stronger enemies.

Previous games (Fallout 3, Skyrim) also allowed you to fight bullet sponge enemies in an ineffective manner if you had enough stimpacks and didn't give you enough tools to compensate for sponginess.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All the AC3 'remaster' does is update the graphics a bit, but it still looks like a 5 year old game.

In fact I'd argue it's subjectively worse now that it was at release. The only really interesting bit of AC3 was the prototype naval combat module they hurriedly rushed in from Black Flag, which was really fun at the time. The problem is that Black Flag and Odyssey and Rebel Galaxy now exist and are mature and fun implementations of that system - you don't even get nostalgia fun from playing those naval sections anymore, you just wish you were playing one of those better games.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Alchenar posted:

All the AC3 'remaster' does is update the graphics a bit, but it still looks like a 5 year old game.

And some graphics are strange, faces were weird.

Another problem is that it's released right after previous AC game and picks up the storyline from a cliffhanger. It expects you to care. And you won't care about any of the modern BS. Writing is relatively good in this game but it's full of traditional AC padding and very constraining mission design. AC Odyssey is refreshing with many of its missions being "make sure that dude doesn't live" that you can do however you want. Older AC games force you to do very specific things and fail for no apparent reason. My will to play this remake has died out very early: right after you get to America you witness some thief stealing something and running away. Naturally I run to catch him... Mission failed, restart. Turns out what I had to do was continue walking with my slow talkative companion.

And at the end of that walk 3 minutes after getting to America you meet Ben Franklin.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ilitarist posted:

They are related.

Survival certainly feels better balanced, but as I've said it's not for everyone. On Very Hard or whatever it's called your damage is lowered, yes, but in reality, it means that the game switches from "anything goes" (by Cole Porter) to forcing you to specialize. All those +20% damage perks make sure that you can't use unfamiliar weapons effectively, except maybe Fatman (but it's very heavy and dangerous so it's balanced in a different way) or grenades (which is a support weapon anyone can use). So enemies never become spongy enough so that you can't stealth one-shot grunts or heavily damage stronger enemies.

Previous games (Fallout 3, Skyrim) also allowed you to fight bullet sponge enemies in an ineffective manner if you had enough stimpacks and didn't give you enough tools to compensate for sponginess.
Survival is a lovely addition that copies games that were actually designed to use it; hence why it's so terribly broken and lame (Molotov cocktails anyone?)

It's changing from bad type of balance to another

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I've played a lot of assassin creed games this year including the ezio trilogy and AC3 remaster.

The remaster is awful. The resolution is great but the bloom is so awful. Everything is washed out more than before.

Additionally it just isn't a very good game. The combat is changed versus the eizo trilogy, you just don't feel like you have as good options, and so many things just feel shoehorned into the game.

Trying to do 100% sync is an absolute nightmare. Often you're given 2-3 optional objectives and you have to complete all of them in one go to get 100% sync. I did 100% sync in all 3 ezio games and I said gently caress it to AC3.

And they've really messed with Desmond's model, he looks like a caveman.

Honestly the only reason I played it is just to say I've finished it and I would imagine 90% of people who own AC3 remaster is because of the odyssey gold edition/season pass.

If you have better games to play, go play them. AC3 has aged badly.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 17, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Thomas Hickey was cool at least.

Hope he’s getting that titty in heaven.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have been binging this game for the last week or so and I love it and Kassandra is the best but there is one thing that kinda irritates me and I am only just now figuring out what it is. The way everybody says each others names.

The rolled R's, are, I am assuming, how they are supposed to be pronounced, and that is cool, they go out of their way to have everybody in the game have an accent. But nobody ever rolls any other R's in speech as far as I can remember, it's just when they say people's names. It really stands out.

Edit: It's not just the R's now I think about it, everybody just says names differently than how they say anything else is the thing.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 17, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

it's pretty damning that in retrospect, FO4 is by far the least of the gamebryo RPGs

Like, of course it's not gonna top Morrowind or New Vegas but we're talking about it having less depth than Skyrim and a worse story than FO3 with shitter DLC than Oblivion

Fallout 4 is also one of the least flexible in terms of the RP in RPG. I mean you can technically beat the game without a single kill but the amount of bending over backwards and near breaking of the game you have to do is ridiculous compared to how (relatively) easy it is in New Vegas. Your character is insanely locked down backstory wise compared to FO1/NV

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

In fact I'd argue it's subjectively worse now that it was at release. The only really interesting bit of AC3 was the prototype naval combat module they hurriedly rushed in from Black Flag, which was really fun at the time. The problem is that Black Flag and Odyssey and Rebel Galaxy now exist and are mature and fun implementations of that system - you don't even get nostalgia fun from playing those naval sections anymore, you just wish you were playing one of those better games.

the ground combat is ok if not old fashioned feeling. i have been playing syndicate and that game still holds up really well outside the slow leveling.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also, I miss the feeling of actually being a, you know, Assassin, who fuckimg sneaks around and assassinates people

Every game after the French one has moved further away from that: say what you will about 3 but chain murdering your way through an entire group of redcoats was what I would have wanted more of and way, way less dumb abilities and action RPG garbage

The first time I saw a level attached to a sword in Origins it was poo poo. It remains poo poo. But it's made up for with all the other things around it what ain't

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I have been binging this game for the last week or so and I love it and Kassandra is the best but there is one thing that kinda irritates me and I am only just now figuring out what it is. The way everybody says each others names.

The rolled R's, are, I am assuming, how they are supposed to be pronounced, and that is cool, they go out of their way to have everybody in the game have an accent. But nobody ever rolls any other R's in speech as far as I can remember, it's just when they say people's names. It really stands out.

Edit: It's not just the R's now I think about it, everybody just says names differently than how they say anything else is the thing.

Yyyeeeerrrrrrodotuss

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the ground combat is ok if not old fashioned feeling. i have been playing syndicate and that game still holds up really well outside the slow leveling.

Also, I miss the feeling of actually being a, you know, Assassin, who fuckimg sneaks around and assassinates people

Every game after the French one has moved further away from that: say what you will about 3 but chain murdering your way through an entire group of redcoats was what I would have wanted more of and way, way less dumb abilities and action RPG garbage

The first time I saw a level attached to a sword in Origins it was poo poo. It remains poo poo. But it's made up for with all the other things around it what ain't

I prefer the combat in the old series. I feel like if you are going to go Dark Souls-esque then you really need to go all the way in, otherwise it's just ends up being boring button mashing. Old AC combat felt like an interesting parallel development of the Batman games combat - a rhythm game where each combat encounter is a different combination of opponents which require you to push buttons in a different order to defeat them.

I regret that Syndicate showed they were clearly dipping their toes into going historical Hitman but then veered away, which was probably the right business decision but I would have preferred them to go down that road a bit more.

I can't ever shake the feeling I'm being experimented on when playing an AC game, particularly right now. The Odyssey expansions can be summed up as:
1. Do you like fort areas? Lets see how much you like interesting fort areas.
2. Do you like boss battles? Ditto.
3. Do you like running around doing quests in a single urban environment rather than the great outdoors?

You can bet Ubisoft are running the stats your PC is calling back with to extreme focus group the direction of the next games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

The Odyssey expansions can be summed up as:
1. Do you like fort areas? Lets see how much you like interesting fort areas.
2. Do you like boss battles? Ditto.
3. Do you like running around doing quests in a single urban environment rather than the great outdoors?

Which expansions are these? Because I am much more interested in 1 but not 2 and the marketing only ever seems to promote 2 so I haven't cared to check them out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mostly like the combat in all the AC games (with the exception of 1, and at times, unity and 3) but I can’t help but feel like it peaked early at brotherhood and never quite hit the mark again. Nothing felt quite as cool as wading into a horde of enemies and gracefully one-shotting everybody without mercy until you were standing on top of a pile of corpses.

It was so good that the finale, where you’re wasting everyone with the Apple, kind of sucked because those huge fights would have been amazing with just the normal swordplay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In 2 you just threw down a smoke bomb and shanked everyone.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I think the stealth gameplay in Odyssey is probably my favorite, in terms of being able to clear out an entire area without being detected, at least in the base game.

The eagle was a great addition in Origins, but I thought the stealth was awful in that one. They gave you a slow motion warning, but really nothing to do with it, which they also fixed with Odyssey.

The earlier games often felt very twitchy and unfair with enemies detecting you, in my opinion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The problem with the slow-mo is that it happens at the wrong time: as they've spotted you and not just before like in every other game with a similar mechanic

Dunno if they just tarded or what, as the old saying goes

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lobok posted:

Which expansions are these? Because I am much more interested in 1 but not 2 and the marketing only ever seems to promote 2 so I haven't cared to check them out.

Sorry, I meant the three episodes of Fate of Atlantis. There's very obvious massively different emphases in each of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

Sorry, I meant the three episodes of Fate of Atlantis. There's very obvious massively different emphases in each of them.

Maybe I'll buy the first one then if possible. Forts have been the best part about AC games once they stopped making a big deal about the puzzle areas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You buy all of Atlantis at once but there are three distinct episodes all taking ~6-7 hours to complete, the last of which came out yesterday.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The last episode feels like some ambitious attempt at the most content recycling in map design possible. And very heavy on the Precursor-lore, everyone's favorite aspect of AC.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lambert posted:

The last episode feels like some ambitious attempt at the most content recycling in map design possible. And very heavy on the Precursor-lore, everyone's favorite aspect of AC.

Yeah it's the 'how engaging is the story bit everyone always says they hate' test.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
See, I feel like the absolutely strongest worldbuilding was in 1, where you really had no idea what the gently caress was going on, had only the vaguest notions of what the world was like (and heavy, missable implications that it very much was not) and you end up seeings the blood smeared incomprehensible messages of the past on your walls.

I feel like the worst thing to happen is that we got concrete, serious answers to everything and they backed down on the dystopia suggestions

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jimbot posted:

In 2 you just threw down a smoke bomb and shanked everyone.

More like stomped up to a dude and chokeslammed him, then your Armor of Brutus procced the fear AOE and you shanked the poo poo out of anyone foolish enough to stay and fight :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If this is not how you're playing Odyssey what the gently caress are you doing

Are you just wading into enemies groups mashing attack and then moaning about how this isn't stealth??

Entirely 2/3rds of the action rpg garbage is devoted to abilities that help you chain murder malakas, in case you haven't noticed