Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Engine out. Despite being insanely dusty this car is surprisingly clean and everything has come apart really easily. There's not a spot of rust anywhere on the chassis and corrosion seems to have limited itself to the aluminium body panels

Some plasticky bits have not fared so well

At least the belts are intact and the engine turns over easily so with any luck it'll still make some compression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

Barn Find Testarossa would be a good username band name.

Fixed that for you.

Powershift posted:

It's like a modern mighty boy

I like it. And it'll do most of the pickup things that people actually do with their giant F-5000s.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

Wow! For a machine that size thats...... Not a lot. I converted that to ftlbs (freedom units that we still occasionally use in canuckistan) and thats about 3700 ft lbs. The drill I run is just about 3300. Its tiny in comparison to that one. But yeah, if you're coring and constantly flushing the hole with air or water, you don't need as much.

Yeah the lake rig is huge and impressive because it's a lake rig. Making something that won't sink to its doom as soon as you get it out on the salt is a decent feat. We also have a reverse circulation rig set up on the salt lake that consists of the rig, support vehicle, booster and lake walker, all daisy chained together with air and water hoses. The RC rig tops out at about 17k Nm, and with one booster we can push it to around 300m depth. I was on it on Saturday morning, finishing up a 280m hole and it took us two and a half to drill the last 15m, very slow going that deep. I've seen RC rigs get down to 500m but at that depth they're running two boosters and drilling even slower.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Memento posted:

Yeah the lake rig is huge and impressive because it's a lake rig. Making something that won't sink to its doom as soon as you get it out on the salt is a decent feat. We also have a reverse circulation rig set up on the salt lake that consists of the rig, support vehicle, booster and lake walker, all daisy chained together with air and water hoses. The RC rig tops out at about 17k Nm, and with one booster we can push it to around 300m depth. I was on it on Saturday morning, finishing up a 280m hole and it took us two and a half to drill the last 15m, very slow going that deep. I've seen RC rigs get down to 500m but at that depth they're running two boosters and drilling even slower.

OK, dumb loving question, what is the end goal or what is the job?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag posted:

OK, dumb loving question, what is the end goal or what is the job?

Gold exploration. Drilling holes in the ground isn't actually that hard, but drilling holes in the ground and getting samples of what you're drilling through is. Aircore and reverse circulation drills bring up rock chips from what you're drilling as well as bulk samples that you can get assayed for gold.

Aircore only goes to the first layer of fresh rock, so you use it to drill hundreds of holes in a grid to map what's down there. Then you can use reverse circulation drilling to target specific layers or structures, and diamond drilling (deeper, far more accurate and controllable) to hit specific targets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disappointed that no one put "Barn Find Barchetta" out there.

With a glowing pentagram for an avatar.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

xzzy posted:

Barn Find Lamborghini

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

xzzy posted:

For the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjNvjURS-s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But how about instead of a pentagram, it's a five speed shift gate with first in the lower left.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I wasn't entirely sure which of the threads this would fit best. But imo these truck designs, with their focus on technology and aerodynamics, convey a of optimism about the future that has almost completely disappeared from modern automotive design:

Never seen it in the wild though.

I think the first truck is the one with the brown interior, which was the concept. The others were the ones of which a small series was produced.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 13, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wasn't entirely sure which of the threads this would fit best. But imo these truck designs, with their focus on technology and aerodynamics, convey a of optimism about the future that has almost completely disappeared from modern automotive design:

I think the first truck is the one with the brown interior, which was the concept. The others were the ones of which a small series was produced.

It sort of wraps around in a "so bad it's good" way? It's definitely ODD, but I can't particularly hate the fact that Mercedes did a concept car truck with the front window as their logo in a way that is surprisingly functional.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same guy also designed mice and PC cases for a discount, now defunct German computer retail chain in the 90’s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Engine out. Despite being insanely dusty this car is surprisingly clean and everything has come apart really easily. There's not a spot of rust anywhere on the chassis and corrosion seems to have limited itself to the aluminium body panels

Some plasticky bits have not fared so well

At least the belts are intact and the engine turns over easily so with any luck it'll still make some compression

You are doing the Lord's work good sir.

What the hell happened to that harness? Did it melt from heat or something else?

I would love to be hanging out while you worked on it, I would hand you wrenches and get you coffee/tea and poo poo to compensate for my annoying presence :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lord Stimperor posted:

Love the windshield wipers, but the hairy donger coming out of the dash to hide the wiring for the motor is :mediocre:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lord Stimperor posted:

I love everything about this except the soft materials in the interior.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Luigi Colani is the designer, I think that truck design was actually used as some super exotic RV a few years back. Though whether that was a company selling it as a concept I dunno.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Suburban Dad posted:

Love the windshield wipers, but the hairy donger coming out of the dash to hide the wiring for the motor is :mediocre:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Luigi Colani is the designer, I think that truck design was actually used as some super exotic RV a few years back. Though whether that was a company selling it as a concept I dunno.

This one?

Also does away with the :mediocre: windshield wiper motor. But I think without a long freight car in the back, it doesn't look nicely proportioned imo.

Colani as a designer seemed to have loved dynamic, flowing shapes and glossy finishes. He also expressed himself in a bunch of household appliances and glossy furniture. The taste of the late 1980s and 90s must have really helped him here. He was eventually also involved in an even more radical truck design:

Godholio posted:

I love everything about this except the soft materials in the interior.

I feel like those kinds of interior are a staple of the era. It reminds me of Star Trek TNG. Brings back childhood.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 14, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You are doing the Lord's work good sir.

What the hell happened to that harness? Did it melt from heat or something else?

I would love to be hanging out while you worked on it, I would hand you wrenches and get you coffee/tea and poo poo to compensate for my annoying presence :v:

Not sure really but my guess is just age and the type of plastic it's made of; interestingly only the sensor side of the connector disintegrated and not the harness side. The ignition phase sensor on the back of the cam suffered a similar fate as well as the rear ABS sensors :(

From what I've been able to figure out the car has come from Macau and has been in storage since 2007 judging from the date on a newspaper found in the car lol

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Lord Stimperor posted:

I’ve seen one of them in the wild before and when you get close, you can see just how shoddily made this thing is. It’s all fiberglass, which is starting to flake off, and screws and glue. The interior is especially bad, but you can tell that even from the pictures you posted.

From further away, they do look very 90s future though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm the Nokia cellphone recliner and VDO DVD-based navigation combo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lord Stimperor posted:

I feel like those kinds of interior are a staple of the era. It reminds me of Star Trek TNG. Brings back childhood.

It looks like everything is poorly wrapped in carpet. I'm fine with a well-fitting tan interior, like the Enterprise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's all fun and games until your shithead neighbor calls to complain about the "truck" parked on your lawn.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'd like to see them try and tow it :colbert:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aww yeah, fat old Cadillac.

Wait, what's going on at the back there?

:vince:

Cadillac Mirage, mid 1970s, built by Traditional Coach Works, based on the Coupe de Ville. They made something like 240 of them and one sold on BaT for about 50k last March.

(all images are links to enormous versions)

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 15, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
El Cadmino?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cadichero?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lord Stimperor posted:

🎶 wish that I could be an Oscar Mayer something 🎶

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

🎶 wish that I could be an Oscar Mayer Curry Wurst🎶

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

🎶 wish that I could be an Oscar Mayer Eldritch Horror 🎶

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
I like to think there's an old grandma-style living room with beat up antique furniture inside it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Memento posted:

Aww yeah, fat old Cadillac.

Wait, what's going on at the back there?

:vince:

Cadillac Mirage, mid 1970s, built by Traditional Coach Works, based on the Coupe de Ville. They made something like 240 of them and one sold on BaT for about 50k last March.

(all images are links to enormous versions)

At first glance I would have thought funeral flower car, but I don't know how functional the beds are on those. This looks so much better.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Memory posted:

I like to think there's an old grandma-style living room with beat up antique furniture inside it.

Well at least you can't complain about the breeze coming in from the front window.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Memory posted:

That is almost certainly the best case scenario for what the interior looks like.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Dr. Memory posted:

Heartwood of Darkness posted:

The honey oak!
The honey oak!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell fuckin' yeah dudes

https://twitter.com/765Sport/status/1151262610936877057

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

oh. my. god. the rear end :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VlJUHn8CWM

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:fap:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please keep Richard Hammond away from it, that horsepower figure is too big for that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:psylon: