Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I hope that management's food was in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for throwing out all of the food in the communal fridge?

nta but you should have made a fake lunch and put laxatives or pot in it to punish the thief.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

HIJK posted:

nta but you should have made a fake lunch and put laxatives or pot in it to punish the thief.

This is how you get arrested for Assault With Intent to Poison

what you really do is give them sugar free gummy bears

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A whole loving bowl of sugarfree gummy bears.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder if other lunches / items went missing besides OP's
Could be this is the break room vigilante that place needs, not the one they deserve

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tythas posted:

worth it imo, especially since the OP has a legitimate medical disorder that means they need specialized foodstuffs. And the thief is stealing the OP's property which is also pretty objectionable.

Of course reddit isn't having it:

quote:

Rogojinen
8 hours ago
NTA

It was a bit cruel, but kinda brilliant. By throwing away everyone’s lunch, your problem became everyone’s problem so, even if I don’t know the exact config around your company’s lunches and the fridge, there was no way someone could steal your lunch now without someone noticing with the increased scrutiny, so the thief had to stop.

When you want to flush out rats, start a fire.

SSJ-Shadow

6 hours ago
It doesnt matter if said fire kills a few families along the was

"Throwing out everyone's lunches to punish a food thief that's stealing your medically necessary food is literally the same thing as killing entire families with fire." Sheesh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scathach posted:

Those are so, so hard to get. At least here. I'm in WA and trying to protect a dementia patient is difficult as gently caress. Especially if they refuse it and get pissed and kick you out of the house, which legally they can still do.

The scams that dad is falling for are apparently from another county but so rarely anyone wants to talk about the homegrown charity scams we have here. Even after being put on the do not call/mail list my patient still gets a couple calls and pieces of scam mail a day. It's loving terrible.

They're not as hard to get in my employer's footprint (which doesn't cover WA) and are typically more burdensome in documentation than a POA but like you said POA is an agent, not a guardian. It does however give the POA access to monitor accounts and (in my job) gives us a contact person if anything weird happens in the account such as the oldster showing up asking to send a wire. We refuse it and call the POA.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HIJK posted:

worth it imo, especially since the OP has a legitimate medical disorder that means they need specialized foodstuffs. And the thief is stealing the OP's property which is also pretty objectionable.

Of course reddit isn't having it:

"Throwing out everyone's lunches to punish a food thief that's stealing your medically necessary food is literally the same thing as killing entire families with fire." Sheesh.

i'm pretty sure that saying is absolutely terrible advice in any context tbh

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HIJK posted:

worth it imo,

I wonder if it's criminal if you just make the food taste really bad. Like, instead of laxatives or dumping a ton of ghost peppers, dump a carton of salt into the food instead. Or let me cook it :rimshot:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Lifehack, steal peoples lunch and get free diarrhea candy. Win/Win.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dudeness posted:

Lifehack, steal peoples lunch and get free diarrhea candy. Win/Win.
It doesn't even have to be a laxative. You can make something with a bunch of chia or acai and watch as they poo poo themselves silly thanks to the fiber content.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

This is similar to how Caesar pacified the Gauls, and it worked for him. Badass power move.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tythas posted:

what you really do is give them sugar free gummy bears

A hyperspace dose of capsaicin is ok

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

chitoryu12 posted:

The first gun control laws were established in part because the royals realized how threatening they were to their power. William of Orange was assassinated in 1584 by a concealed pistol (the wheellock had just been invented about 80 years ago and could be concealed ready to fire, unlike old matchlocks) and James Stewart was shot from a window in 1570 while riding through town. Turns out guns made it really easy for any random person to pop the king in the face.

Balthazar Gérard, who killed William of Orange, had spent time in the army. (In order to kill William, because dedication.) He also shot at close range. He also also was trying for a 25,000-crown offered by Philip of Spain for whoever assassinated William. James Hamilton, who shot James Stewart, "used a carbine of 3 feet 5 inches (104 cm) length and a hexagonal bore barrel of 2 feet 5 inches (74 cm) length." Neither was "any random person", and neither of these weapons is comparable to a six-shooter in terms of ease of use.

In any case, a catch-phrase generally doesn't come from historical research.

e:

Scathach posted:

You can't just take a person over with power of attorney. A POA is picked by the person, and if they get pissed and take it away that's it. It's not some thing where you can just control someone's actions.

A POA is only there to make decisions when the person can't/doesn't want to. But if the patient wants to make their own decisions, no matter how lovely, they're still an adult with rights.

That story with the guy a while back that "gave his friend POA" is so loving ridiculous because as an adult with all your faculties a POA means nothing and can be revoked without having to be in writing. It's literally "go the duck away I revoke your POA" and it's done.

I am dealing with a demented mother right now. She can in fact revoke the POA at any time. Her own lawyer is refusing to do this because he has the medical reports saying "yup, totally demented" and has ruled that she's not competent to make legal decisions. However, she could go to any other lawyer in town and revoke the POA, because she presents well. Her lawyer has reassured me that no lawyer is likely to take a case called in from the dementia ward without medical evidence to the contrary.

To actually have complete, irrevocable control over her dwelling, we'd have to get a full guardianship, which involves going before a judge with copious supporting evidence. You're not going to be able to get one of these with "Fred is completely capable of making his own decisions, he just makes really stupid ones."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 17, 2019

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Renegret posted:

I wonder if it's criminal if you just make the food taste really bad. Like, instead of laxatives or dumping a ton of ghost peppers, dump a carton of salt into the food instead. Or let me cook it :rimshot:

Now this would be a social experiment worth having, would a lunch thief continue to steal food if this was done?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

They're not as hard to get in my employer's footprint (which doesn't cover WA) and are typically more burdensome in documentation than a POA but like you said POA is an agent, not a guardian. It does however give the POA access to monitor accounts and (in my job) gives us a contact person if anything weird happens in the account such as the oldster showing up asking to send a wire. We refuse it and call the POA.

That's hella loving cool. I mean I do understand why it's so hard to get someone into protection but I wish a dementia diagnosis made it easy. It's a constant fight making sure this lady isn't endangering herself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scathach posted:

That's hella loving cool. I mean I do understand why it's so hard to get someone into protection but I wish a dementia diagnosis made it easy. It's a constant fight making sure this lady isn't endangering herself.
Because a lot of children/lovers/heirs are total assholes, basically. See the Sumner Redstone case for one.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for avoiding to bring my girlfriend around the judgemental relatives in my family?

quote:

So the last time I brought her around was Easter. We had dinner together with my family, but just a few days later when I was sitting at lunch with my dad he was telling me about how my stepmom and her parents (my grandparents on her side) were telling me all these things that annoyed them. The way she ate, the way she sat, her body language as we all socialized, etc. I knew it was because she was nervous and I couldn’t control that. However they’re not the type to give people second chances, so it feels like they’ve already written off our relationship.

A few days ago I was invited to our normal weekly family dinner, but only I was invited. Normally I would go alone anyway, but it has been months since my family has seen my girlfriend, and I wanted to try and give them another chance around her. She is also wanting to try and get to know them better despite the hesitant first impression. However my family has refused to invite her, leaving me again to go alone.

My girlfriend is now angry with me for feeling like I’m never inviting her to that side of the family’s events, despite the fact I know she will not be invited almost every time I ask. I avoid that whole side apart from my dad, who I keep in regular contact with.

AITA for asking? I hate having this rift in my life.

Edit: Hot drat this was a reality check. Thank you all for replying. I’ve had a talk with my girlfriend and she’s been very forgiving and understanding. I need to start being more assertive about having her and I as a package deal when it comes to family things.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because a lot of children/lovers/heirs are total assholes, basically. See the Sumner Redstone case for one.

Oh, yeah, I know that. We've been doing court a year with an abusive previous caregiver/family member crying crocodile tears because my client kicked her out of the house for stealing huge amounts of cash. It's just ducked we can't protect the elder and their cash easier.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my coworker about the reality of a 478 MCAT score?

The MCAT is basically the entrance exam for medical schools in the US. Applicants are graded from 472 to 528 based on a percentile. A 478 is literally the bottom 2% of test takers. The median/average score that can maybe get you into a med school is a 500. You must score at least a 508 to be in the top 20% of applicants, in a field where only about 20% of applicants each year accepted into all the med schools in the country.

Results for the June 15 exam came out yesterday. This coworker was happily telling people how she passed and got a 478. I myself aspire to be a doctor but postponed taking the MCAT because I have been unable to hit a 505 consistently in full length practice tests. I have an trying to coach her, telling her that she must hit at least a 500 to be even considered as a serious applicant. Throughout this process, I have noticed that she didn’t have a solid prep plan, or a good idea of how to be a pre-med student (she is non traditional like me).

So when she was happily telling our other coworkers (and the doctors we work for!) that she got a 478, I took her aside and tried to explain to her the reality of the situation as nicely as possible. Threw in some encouraging words about the virtues of retaking, implored her to hit the Kaplan books and really research the kinds of students the schools she wants to apply to (she just wants to get in anywhere). I asked her to reconsider postponing her applications until next year. She had already sent out some primaries but haven’t gotten any secondary applications back.

She was in near tears. It feels like I just crushed someone’s dreams. She couldn’t look me in the eye the rest of the day.

AITA???????

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Renegret posted:

As long as you would eat it, it's fine. You can booby-trap your lunch with hot sauce if you "like spicy food" and can pretend to have intended to eat it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (25/M) girlfriend (30/F) wants me to drop a friend (27/F) that I've known since high school for reasons that she can't seem to explain.

I've been with my girlfriend for a little over a year. She didn't seem controlling or anything at the start but for a couple of months now I've noticed that side of her starting to come out. It started when she tried to tell me what to wear and how to act. Don't wear those jeans anymore. The ones I picked out for you look better. Always pull my chair out for me when we're out on dates. Your hair looks better when you push it to the side. I like you better without facial hair. I know we take turns paying for dates but can you hand the server my card when he comes back so he thinks it's yours? Weird poo poo. None of my girlfriends have ever talked to me like that before. And for the record the jeans she picked out aren't even my size.

About two or three weeks into this weird change in her personality, I brought my concerns to her attention and she said she didn't realize that it was a problem. She's used to picking out clothes for boyfriends even if they happen to have their own distinct style. I know she wants me to dress like I'm in a Banana Republic shop window but that's ... just not going to happen. That's not me. She knew that when she met me. If she wanted a boyband member, she shouldn't have agreed to go out with the tattoo artist that asked her out at a dive bar a little over a year ago.

Anyway I have a friend that I've known since high school. We're not close in the sense that we talk everyday or even every week or month, but we know just about everything there is to know about each other. She has a boyfriend at the moment and she loves him a lot. My girlfriend has met her multiple times. At first she seemed to like my friend and got along with her pretty well. Same with my other friends. But slowly she has started to get really quiet around her and stare her down and give her one word answers when my friend tries to make conversation. I figured my girlfriend was just tired. But she later admitted that she feels I'm too close to this friend and that our friendship makes her uncomfortable ... even though we don't talk outside of group gatherings. And when we do talk, we always include our SO's and other friends. It's never just the two of us locked in.

I will say that this friend is pretty. Maybe that has something to do with my girlfriend's discomfort. My girlfriend is also pretty. Beautiful in fact. But maybe some small part of her feels weird that I've had this pretty female friend for so long. A friend that was around for every life moment that I had growing up. When I asked my girlfriend about it, she didn't give me a clear answer. She just said, "It's inappropriate and weird how close you are." Again I had no idea what she was on about. I don't speak to this friend or hang out with her privately at all. Ever. And she has a boyfriend. When I asked what part of the friendship is inappropriate and weird, my girlfriend had no words. She just turned it into a situation where I should support her because I'm her boyfriend and that I'm gaslighting her if I say she's wrong about her interpretation.

Had she given me a real answer to even just one of the questions that I had asked, I would at least try to understand. I'm still trying even though she was unclear. If she wants me to drop this friend just because she happens to be pretty, then I'm sorry but that's complete bullshit. I would never ask her to drop any of her friends. Not for any reason. That's one of the worst things you can do in a relationship. To me anyway.

We had this conversation over the weekend and then again last night. She was still unclear. I truly just want to get where she's coming from. I would rather she open up and tell me if she feels insecure or something. But she insists that I'm in the wrong for not immediately doing whatever I can to make her comfortable again. I can only do so much when I don't understand the problem. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Now we're in this weird place where neither of us knows what to say or do around the other. She's sleeping next to me in bed right now. I want to figure this out. But the more I think about it, the more I feel like she's just being controlling again and I guess I came here for outside opinions.

Thoughts?

tl;dr I hardly speak to this friend. We only see each other at group gatherings. And she has a long-term boyfriend. When I asked my girlfriend why this friend makes her uncomfortable, she was very unclear and basically just said that I should support her no matter what as a boyfriend. Not sure what to do about this. I'm not dropping a friend over something that I don't understand and that my girlfriend doesn't care to explain.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Can I use a remixed a Beatles lyric for the title of my movie?

quote:

Would it be fair use if the lyric was altered in a funny/shocking way?

(edit: the reddit bot is making me add my location: California)

I'm making a zombie comedy film. For the title I'd like to use an altered Beatles lyric. I don't want to give away the exact title yet but here are some stupid examples to give you an idea of the extent to which I'd like to remix a Beatles lyric:

Here Comes the Bun While My Sword Gently Weeps Larry In the Sky With Dragons

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for breaking crayons that were being donated to children with autism?

quote:

I know the title sounds really bad, but hear me out for a second. I was at a restaurant with my family, and my younger sister was drawing with crayons provided with her kids menu. When she had finished drawing with them and made it clear that she had no intention of using them again, I decided to break them. Why did I do this? I’m a very restless person who likes to fidget. I like the sound that crayons make when they break, and I find it very relaxing. I know that’s weird, but it’s like how popping bubble wrap is to some people for me. I broke two out of the four crayons. The waiter was not pleased, and he naturally thought that my sister had broken the crayons. He informed us of the fact that they donate their crayons to autistic children. My sister didn’t seem upset, and even thought the situation was funny, laughing at it hours after it occurred. I had no clue that they would be donated to autistic kids. I NEVER would have broken them if I knew. My uncle has autism, and I’ve worked with autistic kids at my school for years to honor him. Also, every restaurant I’ve ever been to that I can think of has a poo poo ton of crayons that they throw away after children are done playing with them. I had never heard of a restaurant donating used crayons. Sorry if it’s actually a really common thing and I’m just an idiot, but the concept was foreign to me. So, Reddit, be honest with me. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for letting someone attend our dad's funeral against my sisters' wishes?

I (35M) have three sisters (31-42) and our father passed away recently. It has fallen on me to plan the service since our parents divorced a while ago and my sisters "don't know what to do" (their words, and yes they're grown women..).

Our dad was a sperm donor and it has always been a touchy topic in our family. He donated solely because there was (is?) a shortage of donors in our country and he fathered 7 kids to 5 families which is the maximum number of families permitted by law.

Our dad had a relationship with two of his "donor kids" that had reached out as adults. One of them has reached out and obviously offered their support, but cannot attend the service. The other had become very close to our father to the point where our dad literally referred to her as his daughter etc. She didn't have a dad of her own (lesbian parents) and so bonded quite quickly when she reached out.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, his donor daughter wants to attend his funeral service and is just as broken up as we are. My sisters are all against the idea and think it would be "creepy", "weird", etc. They all expect me to tell her no because she isn't "real family".

But I'd feel like absolute poo poo saying no. She literally said she wont say a word to anyone and will just attend the service in silence. She just wants to honor dad, I don't get why my sisters are so vehemently opposed to her presence. Our dad left her some money from his estate so he obviously considered her family.

Anyway, since my sisters left it on me to plan, I told her to come and intend on making her feel welcome. I don't think a funeral is a time to exclude and alienate someone that is hurting.

As you can imagine I am now being called countless names by my sisters and also my mother. I think I might have accidently been an rear end in a top hat here? Idk. AITA?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's a tough one but the family is being dicks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

one wax crayon costs literally less than two cents to manufacture

the real assholes here are the restaurant owners acting like donating used crayons to autistic kids is any sort of real charity

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The MCAT is basically the entrance exam for medical schools in the US. Applicants are graded from 472 to 528 based on a percentile.

What the hell kind of range is 478-528

It's like they started arbitrarily high but then still compressed it into a tight window

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FilthyImp posted:

That's a tough one but the family is being dicks

Why would it be tough? Dad had a relationship with this girl, it's not weird to want to pay respects to somebody you have a relationship with.

poo poo, I've been to services for people I didn't even know. She has more of a right than I did in those cases.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pinecone Sample posted:

This is weird. I'm imagining the staff of a school or center for autistic kids having to find somewhere to put this week's box of Outback Steakhouse crayons. You're not an rear end in a top hat for fidgeting with crayons you had every reason to believe were yours.

Do Autistic kids lack crayons? Do they want crayons? This is so weirdly specific.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hey! Those napkins are for Parkinsons patients!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
those sweet n low packets are for the homeless

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Sweet n' Low inside, fine - that's all yours. But once you've opened the packet don't! rip it up!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Bad news little timmy, we can't cure your autism because some of the crayons are broken.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure a lot of those crayon recycling outfits melt down the crayons anyway. like they don't want intact, slightly used crayons, they just want the colored wax that would otherwise be thrown away

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Renegret posted:

Why would it be tough? Dad had a relationship with this girl, it's not weird to want to pay respects to somebody you have a relationship with.
It's this weird "Dad has other kids out there, but there wasn't loving involved and they're grown rear end people" thing.
So it's natural for them to bristle a bit, and the grieving process is going to break them, but yeah the girl had what seems to be a pretty healthy and stable relationship so she *should* be there.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The Sweet n' Low inside, fine - that's all yours. But once you've opened the packet don't! rip it up!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for correcting one of church leader for making a joke out of my son's answer?

This just happened an hour ago.

We are attending a bible camp at this church, not the church I go but other one.

There are kids from Prek to 6th graders, like 150 kids, and my son is 8yr.

So the video of "this bird" playing and building a nest was shown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoopoe

So at the end of the video, MC asked, "Wasn't that a pretty bird? I've never seen one. Does anyone know what this bird is called?" Someone raised his hand, (I didn't look), MC walked over and gave the mike. The boy said "Hoopoe". I noticed it was my son's voice. Then the MC said "What?? a Hippo? it looked nothing like a hippo." Then everyone laughed. As MC walked away, I could hear him saying, "No I said Hoop...". I thought the lady probably didn't even know what that bird was.

My son would never ever make that kind of silly joke. So I googled "a bird name Hoopo"(I've never even seen or heard of this bird called Hoopoe so I typed Hoopo". Then, there it is, Hoopoe...

I personally thought joke wasn't funny at all. Kids do get offended when their knowledges are mocked or joked.

When everything was over, the pastor asked all the leaders to remain and debrief for 10mins.

Pastor said "What a great night! any thoughts?"

I raised my hand and told both my kids to come to the front. On my phone, I had that wikipedia pic prepared.

I said "Could you not ask a question when you don't even know the answer? *looking at the MC who asked question and showing my phone. So this is what my son meant, Hoopoe, not hippo. If you knew the answer, you wouldn't have made the joke and made him feel embarrassed."

The MC said "oh...sorry, I knew what it was and just made a joke out of it."

(I'm a dad by the way)

I said. "you knew??"...*brief pause*..."Well, it wasn't funny...You are in children's ministry and you should know that."

I told my wife about this as soon as I got home and she, (didn't tell me that I"m an rear end**), but definitely was an over-react, and didn't have to make that "public" and embarrassing the MC.

On my way home, I asked my son if the joke was funny and he said, "uh...no. dumb."

I teach my kids that when someone does a prank, and the person who got pranked doesn't find it anything funny but anger, it's bullying. When someone makes a joke on a person, and that person doesn't find it funny, it's harassment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Do Autistic kids lack crayons? Do they want crayons? This is so weirdly specific.

it's another one of those zero-effort pretend-you're-helping charities like sticking yellow ribbons on your car or buying paul newman's salad dressing.

if they genuinely wanted to help disadvantaged children they could donate nice full packs of new crayons, instead of sending them restaurant waste and converting the crayons' cost (an expense they were already covering anyway) into a tax write-off

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Eh, it was bound to happen sometime.