Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nail Rat posted:

Uh...there's no element of satire here, this is just factual reporting. What the hell Onion.

When reality inverted decades ago, the onion also inverted to become the only real news with deadpan accurate reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Trump shoots himself in the foot. Pelosi, not to be outdone, waits till Trump's foot starts to fester, then shoots herself in the hand, in a show of decorum and bipartisanship"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me why suddenly people are acting like Pelosi changed what she said? The comment she said that caused all this "trouble" was that the president made racist comments. She never said "The President is a racist", it was always "these comments by the President are racist".

I mean I guess if you want to be mad that a shred of ambiguity was removed by her clarification :shrug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

When reality inverted decades ago, the onion also inverted to become the only real news with deadpan accurate reporting.

Fact Check: True

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1151215696602435586

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Can someone explain to me why suddenly people are acting like Pelosi changed what she said? The comment she said that caused all this "trouble" was that the president made racist comments. She never said "The President is a racist", it was always "these comments by the President are racist".

I mean I guess if you want to be mad that a shred of ambiguity was removed by her clarification :shrug:

The President is a racist, and calling him that got people to agree far more than disagree

This is dumb :decorum: "appeal to the 9 boomers in Swing States who are Democrats but like Trump"

It's just stupid weak bullshit

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ague Proof posted:

Rand Paul has a serious empathy problem.

i mean the fucker is a super objectivist, he doesn't have empathy at all.

Ruminahui posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/scottwon...1435%23lastpost

:allears:

What’s funny is that there’s still people out there that are under the belief that democrats won’t immediately flip whatever meager victory they manage to make.

jesus, these people are such loving cowards. like stop bending the loving knee and or trying to take some high road. like i get it you have to throw meat to the blue dogs but for gently caress sake, they arnt the majority.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

It was a bad statement to begin with and lots of people pointed out that it was pretty much the most lukewarm of lukewarm takes (which also sent republicans in the house into a complete froth, so at least that was fun). Pelosi's new comments were, "Look at how mild and gentle I was! Let me point out exactly how worthless and meaningless my statement was! I want it to be 100% clear that I refuse to make a firm stand on even something as obvious and important as the president is going on racist tirades in public!" She's basically telling everyone that she doesn't want to be mean to Donald Trump and that is the wrong message anytime, but especially right now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

It's just another example of Pelosi opening her mouth where staying silent is warranted. Like with her comments chiding "The Squad" a week or two (or a month? year?) ago....she clearly has some problems/disagreements with what they believe in and how they're going about things, and that's ok. It is NOT ok to talk about those things in public. You're essentially the leader of the party and the most powerful woman ever in American politics. Show a little leadership by keeping your infighting behind closed doors. When you give a very clear rebuke to the President's racism, LET THAT VERY CLEAR REBUKE REMAIN CLEAR. Don't let the media spin it into mealy mouthed pedantry.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
She doesn't want to call the racist president who keeps making racist comments a racist because it will hurt his (and his cult followers) fee fees.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It was a bad statement to begin with and lots of people pointed out that it was pretty much the most lukewarm of lukewarm takes (which also sent republicans in the house into a complete froth, so at least that was fun). Pelosi's new comments were, "Look at how mild and gentle I was! Let me point out exactly how worthless and meaningless my statement was! I want it to be 100% clear that I refuse to make a firm stand on even something as obvious and important as the president is going on racist tirades in public!" She's basically telling everyone that she doesn't want to be mean to Donald Trump and that is the wrong message anytime, but especially right now.

what annoys me more is she is trying to push it as some statement of strengths. like "we could have hosed you up, but we are the good guys TM and we will try to help you better yourself" bullshit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

The President is a racist, and calling him that got people to agree far more than disagree

This is dumb :decorum: "appeal to the 9 boomers in Swing States who are Democrats but like Trump"

It's just stupid weak bullshit

Nancy Pelosi, July 16, 2019 posted:

"“Every single member of this institution should join us in condemning the president’s racist tweets. To do anything less would be a shocking rejection of our values and a shameful abdication of our oath of office to protect the American people.”

She never said "The President is a racist" she said the president's tweets were racist. Do try to keep up.

Random Stranger posted:

It was a bad statement to begin with and lots of people pointed out that it was pretty much the most lukewarm of lukewarm takes (which also sent republicans in the house into a complete froth, so at least that was fun). Pelosi's new comments were, "Look at how mild and gentle I was! Let me point out exactly how worthless and meaningless my statement was! I want it to be 100% clear that I refuse to make a firm stand on even something as obvious and important that the president is going on racist tirades in public!" She's basically telling everyone that she doesn't want to be mean to Donald Trump and that is the wrong message anytime, but especially right now.

While I don't entirely agree with this (well, to be fair I agree it was pointless to clarify), I do acknowledge plenty of people were poitning out it wasn't a "strong enough" take (though Andrew Gillum said the same thing against his GOP opponent while running for FL Governor so :shrug:). I still think overall the dustup in congress over this and making the Republicans wring their hands in nervousness over even something as lukewarm as this was still worth it, but that's me.

Basically I feel it's at least an improvement that someone in Congress was willing to go "These words are racist" instead of "racially biased" or "racially charged", and send everyone into a tizzy. The post-facto explanation has weakened that, however. My point of contention was that some responses in the thread when she explained sounded like she had said "the president is racist" when she didn't actually do that.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

"America burned while Pelosi played the otamatone" will look great in future history books.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Ruminahui posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/scottwon...1435%23lastpost

:allears:

What’s funny is that there’s still people out there that are under the belief that democrats won’t immediately flip whatever meager victory they manage to make.

She should have said "the tweets speak for themselves" like everyone else does but this time it's the right answer.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that pelosi can say “Those words are racism,” and “These comments from the White House are disgraceful and disgusting and these comments are racist,” and somehow twitter can spin that into "dems in disarray!" and this thread just eats it up based on some guy stargazing and getting a signal from the cosmos on what she really meant by that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ewiley posted:

She should have said "the tweets speak for themselves" like everyone else does but this time it's the right answer.

No it's not.

Her statement does nothing but attempt to protect fragile white feelings

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like that pelosi can say “Those words are racism,” and “These comments from the White House are disgraceful and disgusting and these comments are racist,” and somehow twitter can spin that into "dems in disarray!" and this thread just eats it up based on some guy stargazing and getting a signal from the cosmos on what she really meant by that.

Funny how its never unclear what a member of the Squad means by their words.

its almost as if Dem leadership has a pathological need to control how people even perceive the world around them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

my issue is she won't call him out and out racist. i get why she doesn't it just gets really old after awhile.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Lifting up the words of Ronald Reagan"

:lol: loving what?!

Whoever said the 80s loving broke Boomer Democrats' brains was spot on. Why the gently caress are we praising Reagan?! Who's party are we even? :psyduck:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ronald Reagan was second Jesus. Trump is the Golden Orange Calf.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Its cool that Pelosi attacked The Squad, giving Trump a clear opening to do the same (although he was probably going to do it anyway), then couldn't be bothered to call him a racist. Would start calling her a fifth columnist, but that historical narrative was debunked.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This should be brought up every time some GOP hack starts whining about 9/11

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Nazzadan posted:

drat, this is going to be a 'young white guy in America' take but that video is loving astounding. I know American history classes focus on wars pretty heavily, but how does a video grab a handful of Japanese youths and not a single one know what Nazis are, vaguely know who Hitler is, and not know the German usage of the swastika?
Well I recommend to you that you not look up anything to do with what Japan tells its kids about their own involvement in WW2, particularly wrt China and double-particularly wrt Rape of Nanjing. I mean American history classes in the US will glorify dropping the bombs, but at least they acknowledge that the bombs were dropped. I don't know, maybe that's actually worse though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TulliusCicero posted:

Women attracted to Trump...what the gently caress even is that?

The most severe case of cultural Stockholm Syndrome ever recorded?

It's paid propaganda.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC/status/1151519644357971969

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Koalas March posted:

No it's not.

Her statement does nothing but attempt to protect fragile white feelings

Which statement? A guy on twitter just stargazed that she was saying that she wasn't calling trump racist when she called the tweet disgusting. She did not "clarify she wasn't calling trump racist", she called the tweet racist and twitter man galaxy brained that it was a coded secret message that she didn't think trump was racist.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I'm aware. It literally doesn't matter, Silver discussed it and there's basically no correlation between where you campaign and how you do, going back decades. It's a simple answer to the problem that sounds right but isn't born out by any data we have.

It's not terribly surprising that there's no correlation between where campaigns focus their effort and how they do in those areas. The data we have is all based on actual campaigns, and because of our lovely electoral system those campaigns focus on heavily contested locations. And because those locations are heavily contested and both parties are focusing efforts there, that effort by either individual candidate is not going to be reflected in outcomes. If they totally blow some obvious location that the other candidate focuses on, that might show up as an affect but any top-level marginal analysis of correlation would just reflect the vast majority of time where efforts mostly cancel.

That doesn't mean that not campaigning in those areas wouldn't help your opponent, it just means that most of the time campaigns are throwing money at balancing each other is contested states. Maybe Nate addresses that (looking at relative spending or something similar), but I can't seem to find the article you're referring to?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 17, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Question: what the literal gently caress is he talking about

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Democrats finally supporting entrepreneurs and small business innovation

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/Scout_Finch/status/1151563488428462081

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

Question: what the literal gently caress is he talking about

He couldn't even tell you if he tried

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The old white leadership of the democratic party are also white supremacists.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

drat that is a flaming hot take, even for a guy named Sherman.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Real glad we have people working in our government who dont know what the word innovation means.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

She never said "The President is a racist" she said the president's tweets were racist. Do try to keep up.

But doesn’t the Jefferson rule or whatever people are pointing to also say you can’t say the president made a bigoted or racist statement?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

they spend hours in rooms mouthing out the syllables, changing which have emphasis, trying to figure it all out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Critical posted:

Real glad we have people working in our government who dont know what the word innovation means.

Well using planes as missiles literally was innovative, it's just everything else about the statement is insanely dense and will only lead to him getting dunked on from both sides

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

But doesn’t the Jefferson rule or whatever people are pointing to also say you can’t say the president made a bigoted or racist statement?

Yes, but my point was more yesterday Pelosi said the President's tweets were racist, and today she is also saying the President's tweets were racist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Stickman posted:

It's not terribly surprising that there's no correlation between where campaigns focus their effort and how they do in those areas. The data we have is all based on actual campaigns, and because of our lovely electoral system those campaigns focus on heavily contested locations. And because those locations are heavily contested and both parties are focusing efforts there, that effort by either individual candidate is not going to be reflected in outcomes. If they totally blow some obvious location that the other candidate focuses on, that might show up as an affect but any top-level marginal analysis of correlation would just reflect the vast majority of time where efforts mostly cancel.

That doesn't mean that not campaigning in those areas wouldn't help your opponent, it just means that most of the time campaigns are throwing money at balancing each other is contested states. Maybe Nate addresses that (looking at relative spending or something similar), but I can't seem to find the article you're referring to?

It wasn't a whole article, it was part of a single article ranking how much each thing that lost her the election "mattered". Another one of his major conclusions was that Bernie being mean to her was literally the least important of the things being blamed.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Which statement? A guy on twitter just stargazed that she was saying that she wasn't calling trump racist when she called the tweet disgusting. She did not "clarify she wasn't calling trump racist", she called the tweet racist and twitter man galaxy brained that it was a coded secret message that she didn't think trump was racist.

Maybe it would have been easier if she had just said that Trump's racist tweets make him a racist... instead of this dipshit "racism-infused" approach to dealing with actual fash. Literally no one cares if in your heart of hearts, you're not racist. Your "true" inner state can never been known. The only way we can know if you're a racist is if you do racist poo poo and say racist things. This kind of nonsense attempt to separate who you are from what you say and do is just more worthless centrist hairsplitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Rep Sherman isnt wrong