Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Almost finished with Gen 3 and looking to start Gen 4. Since HGSS is part of that and I know I'll be playing through Crystal later, I'm beginning to think of what Pokemon I want to use for Heart Gold and which I want to save for Crystal. I'm thinking that my Heart Gold team will include Slowking, Kingdra, and Scizor since it will be a lot easier for me to trade evolve between my own Gen 4 games than to purchase a second copy of a VC game, and that I'll save happiness evolutions for Crystal. Also thinking Typhlosion for Heart Gold because he can learn Solar Beam in Gen 4 to go with Sunny Day. Any other clear winners and losers that are best used during a particular Gen for Johto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Solumin posted:

I for one am looking forward to the erasure of the Gen IV legendaries and mythicals from the Pokedex.

What's with all the Gen 4 hate? I enjoyed them quite a lot, and HGSS especially are my 2nd favorite after RSE.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Annath posted:

What's with all the Gen 4 hate? I enjoyed them quite a lot, and HGSS especially are my 2nd favorite after RSE.

A lot of people assume that Diamond and Pearl are going to be remade for Gen 8 for some reason, so people assume that fewer Gen 4 Pokemon showing up in Galar's regional dex means that they'll be better featured in said DP remake.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i'm the extremely wise and smart people comparing the triangle count between models in two released games to dispel the notion that the models have been improved in a different, still unreleased game

(which isn't to say it they've definitely touched up the models, they could totally end up being exactly the same, but doing the comparisons now instead of, i don't know, when you have access the material in question, is really really stupid)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

Almost finished with Gen 3 and looking to start Gen 4. Since HGSS is part of that and I know I'll be playing through Crystal later, I'm beginning to think of what Pokemon I want to use for Heart Gold and which I want to save for Crystal. I'm thinking that my Heart Gold team will include Slowking, Kingdra, and Scizor since it will be a lot easier for me to trade evolve between my own Gen 4 games than to purchase a second copy of a VC game, and that I'll save happiness evolutions for Crystal. Also thinking Typhlosion for Heart Gold because he can learn Solar Beam in Gen 4 to go with Sunny Day. Any other clear winners and losers that are best used during a particular Gen for Johto?

I'd say look into the Gen IV evolutions of Jhoto/Kanto Pokemon. There's a few things that become more viable

Electivire with Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, and Brick Break gives a lot of coverage.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Dehry posted:

I'd say look into the Gen IV evolutions of Jhoto/Kanto Pokemon. There's a few things that become more viable

Electivire with Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, and Brick Break gives a lot of coverage.

Magmortar also seems surprisingly decent? Maybe not doubled up with Typhlosion, but I kind of want to run one now sometime with flamethrower, sunny day, solar beam and thunderbolt

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Violet_Sky posted:

The owl is round

Whalley posted:

Seel was a perfectly fine 'mon until the game realized its error and introduced Spheal, the much better Seal, Because It Is An Orb
it's true, the best pokemon are round

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

it's true, the best pokemon are round

Counterpoint: Voltorb/Electrode

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Annath posted:

"Filler legendary" sounds like an oxymoron but DPPt made it a reality.

I'm not hating on the whole gen, though it's my least favorite. HGSS were really good, and I like many of the Gen IV Pokemon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

berenzen posted:

You're not disproving it with those two.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dipepl has the archaeology minigame so it rockets ahead of the less gens

but it also has the tiles that trap you and also rock climb and defog

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

berenzen posted:

iospace posted:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

iospace posted:

Kanto Golem definitively disproves it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

berenzen posted:

Because this is an insane scope problem, which is something that Pokémon already struggles with. What if not 100% of all pokemon are included between SwSh and the theorized DPP remake? How long do they support the backwards compatibility? If they can patch in pokemon not in the game files, do they patch in pokemon that didn't exist when a new generation comes out- you know people will ask for it.

They support backwards compatibility for as long as they're using the same set of models. And no one has asked that they patch in pokemon that didn't exist in prior games, even though they could have easily done that in the X/Y, ORAS, S/M. They didn't even patch the new mega stones from ORAS into X/Y, despite people actually asking for that and complaining about it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Let's say they are making a new set of models. They make 400 now, patch in another 200, then release the rest once a new game comes out, and then they can use that model set as a base moving forward for the next generation or two.

Why would they make Sharp Sword / Thick Shield, with a set of pokemon that were unused in Sword/Shield, and not retroactively allow that second set of pokemon to become compatible with Sword/Shield. Or vice versa where they don't allow you to transfer pokemon from Sword/Shield to DPP Remake just because it's not in the pokedex? Despite it being the same generation, engine, and set of models?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mef989 posted:

Keep in mind that when you Bank your Pokémon from Crystal they’ll have their hidden abilities. I’m currently playing Ultra Moon with Pokémon I traded up from Red and Silver. Meganium not being able to receive status effects in sunlight along with Synthesis has made him tanky as hell.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Because patching them into Sword and Shield isn't just a copy and paste dump into the game files? They still need to test it to make sure it works with all the game mechanics, including ones that may have been a one-off thing for Sword and Shield. Like, it does in fact take up resources from other projects by trying to patch in pokemon that don't yet exist in the game files.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Remember when they patched the ORAS megas into XY and when they patched the USUM ultra beasts into SM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Terrain and status effect and status changes are all wasted turns just use whichever is your strongest attack every turn never stop never do anything else.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Annath posted:

From a technical standpoint they are pretty poorly programmed games. They're full of memory leaks and bugs. If you play for over an hour on DP, it takes a couple of minutes to write the save.

Its an incredibly slow generation overall, the length of turns would take forever, especially with status effects and weather. Surf speed was extremely slow etc.

There's a ton of unused events and unfinished areas. The Azure flute is the famous one.

Navigating the map requires a ton of HMs, due to Mt Coronet splitting the region into two parts. It makes everything very tedious. There's also a lot of backtracking because you're doing loops around the region so you're passing through the center a bunch.

There's very serious legendary bloat that gen. In Gen 1 you have 4 + Mew, in Gen 2 you have 5 + Celebi, in Gen 3 you have 8 + Jirachi and Deoxy, and then in Gen 4 you have another 9 + Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus. There's also a weird bloat of baby pokemon, where you get another 9 added for some reason.

There's a lot of lazy designs, taking some older pokemon and then just giving them a new evo is always going to be tough. You try to do something different and you're making GBS threads on the nostalgia of the old design - you do something too similar and you're being uncreative and lazy.

Team Galactic is a pretty boring team. I think they want to destroy and remake the universe? Whatever.

There's some good stuff, like the physical/special split, some new cool pokemon and moves. Platinum fixed some of the above and HGSS is a really well done game (outside of the level curve and the really weird Safari Zone).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

berenzen posted:

Because patching them into Sword and Shield isn't just a copy and paste dump into the game files? They still need to test it to make sure it works with all the game mechanics, including ones that may have been a one-off thing for Sword and Shield. Like, it does in fact take up resources from other projects by trying to patch in pokemon that don't yet exist in the game files.

Well, it is basically a copy and paste as long as they are using the same engine. You're not even changing encounter rates or trainer teams or anything like that, you're just allowing for something to be transferred in. But even then that's not such a big issue? Yeah I'm sure it will go through a standard patching procedure, with QA signoff and everything. That's what a company, that gets paid money, should do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Like all they need to do is say “hey you can transfer non-regional dex stuff in but you won’t be able to dynamax them or do some of the content we have in the game”. Add bank/transfer to the post-game once you complete the story with the regional dex then open up the game’s sandbox to everything and let people bring everyone in so they can continue breeding or training or just battling random poo poo.

Or let’s play devil’s advocate and say this jump to the Switch was too technical and that’s why they really couldn’t add everything. They only get away with that excuse once. Everything in this game is baked and ready to be in every future game on the Switch. So if they opt to do Pokemon...Gun(?) they can further add to the list and bring more pokemon in. By the time the next gen comes in 3 years or so there’s genuinely no reason for every pokemon to be back in. If their goal is to tailor a regional only experience when playing/balancing the story just lock transfers until the end.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Electivire, Roserade, Rhyperior, Magmortar, Togekiss, Dusknoir, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, & Frosslass should've been retconned into Mega Evolutions

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Electivire, Roserade, Rhyperior, Magmortar, Togekiss, Dusknoir, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, & Frosslass should've been retconned into Mega Evolutions

I will never forgive GameFreak for refusing to deliver on the Solrock/Lunatone mega evos.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vinylshadow posted:

This might be the wrongest take in this whole thread

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They should move and renumber all Pokemon so the babies and later evolutions are all together like they should be. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This thread needs a "all Game Freak needs to do/say in order to fix this..." tip jar that you need to donate 25 cents everytime someone uses something like that, at this point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They should move and renumber all Pokemon so the babies and later evolutions are all together like they should be. :colbert:

yes....... yes !! yes !!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

oddium posted:

yes....... yes !! yes !!

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
all gamefreak needs to say in order to fix this is gently caress you you drat nerds

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GameFreak needs to fear the nerds.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

This thread needs a "all Game Freak needs to do/say in order to fix this..." tip jar that you need to donate 25 cents everytime someone uses something like that, at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:hmmyes:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zoran posted:

This might be the wrongest take in this whole thread

I agree, most of those should just be removed entirely.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This thread is getting quite silly.

There are too many things being said as pointless snipes against other posters. This is a thread for discussing pokemon. Keep the personal insults to a minimum and if you do not like a way a poster is posting then report them and ignore them. You do not have to reply to everything, even if it makes you steam.

I have seen very few reports from this thread, but was reached out to by a lurking poster who does not have PMs/reports that explained it was coming close to the way people would discuss gamergate. Do not do it please. There are new pokemon games coming out soon and that should be the main topic of conversation none of these strange attacks/defends on gamefreak and posters.

Thank you kindly everyone!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Name that lurking coward. I will annihilate them with my Lvl 46 Dragonite

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Name that lurking coward. I will annihilate them with my Lvl 46 Dragonite

I am videogames, not videoshames!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Golurking coward

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It was me, all along, Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yes.

Do tgat and include the azure flute event and ill buy these bad games