Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Whenever I text people who have androids (some not all), it’ll say “Number changed to primary.”

I guess this is a common bug but all of the fixed I have seen on various forums don’t do anything to alleviate the issue permanently.

Has anyone experienced this? Have you fixed it? It’s one of those things that really doesn’t matter, it’s just kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had that happen to me on my phone when I put 13 on my iPad. Some people on Apple products said I left group conversations somehow and i kissed a bunch of messages.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

How can I stop web pages from being full screen when I do add to home screen on my XS? They are like an app, which I don’t want.

101 posted:

It's a PWA thing I think, and as far as I know you can't stop it from doing that.
Yeah it’s coded into the site to do that. A really ghetto workaround is using Shortcuts (give it a URL, open URL) and making that into a home page icon, but the way it launches is kinda messy. It might be better in iOS 13 at least cause Shortcuts seem to be a lot more integrated.

A theoretical workaround is if there’s some extension that kills that, or some way to tweak the page source, then you could take out whatever bits that tell it to save as a web app instead of just a page bookmark.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If my iPhone has two or three bars but constantly spins when trying to load whatever website, application or even crashes with a message there’s no internet connectivity - despite being on LTE.

Is this the provider? I rarely had this problem with Verizon and recently switched to T-Mobil on a new iPhone 8.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

If my iPhone has two or three bars but constantly spins when trying to load whatever website, application or even crashes with a message there’s no internet connectivity - despite being on LTE.

Is this the provider? I rarely had this problem with Verizon and recently switched to T-Mobil on a new iPhone 8.
This happened to me last year, but only when searching with google (be it the site itself or the address bar). It was loving bizarre, and my “fix” was to switch the default search engine to Bing. I experienced the same issue on Chrome and Safari, and I never got around to fixing it since upgrading to an 11 solved the issue.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
"Bars" are only a single metric of cell signal performance. The tower you're connected to could be congested, or the fact that T-Mobile signals often struggle indoors unless you have a phone that supports a newer lower band like Band 71 (which the iPhone 8 does not.)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Anyone with a touchID phone in the iOS 13 beta having serious issues getting Apple Pay to come up reliably? The phone unlocks to the home screen before I can even get the second tap on the home button.

On an 8+ of that makes a difference.

I'm on an 8 and it works fine for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

"Bars" are only a single metric of cell signal performance. The tower you're connected to could be congested, or the fact that T-Mobile signals often struggle indoors unless you have a phone that supports a newer lower band like Band 71 (which the iPhone 8 does not.)

What about T-Mobile is bad for indoor performance?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

What about T-Mobile is bad for indoor performance?

T-Mobile uses higher frequency radio spectrums. Higher frequencies handle more bandwidth, but penetrate walls worse.

When the merger with AT&T failed they took the 5 billion dollar breakup fee and bought some lower frequencies. So they’re better than they used to be, but still worse indoors than Verizon, who owns a lot of those low band frequencies.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Krispy Wafer posted:

T-Mobile uses higher frequency radio spectrums. Higher frequencies handle more bandwidth, but penetrate walls worse.

When the merger with AT&T failed they took the 5 billion dollar breakup fee and bought some lower frequencies. So they’re better than they used to be, but still worse indoors than Verizon, who owns a lot of those low band frequencies.

As a former Verizon customer now with TMo, I can confirm this. The Big Pink sucks inside a building.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I'm on an 8 and it works fine for me.

So weird. It works fine if I double tap with a finger that’s not tied to my TouchID, but if I use either of my thumbs then it just opens right to the lock screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Alternatively there's also whatever throttling the provider can do, whether it be cause hitting the cap on whatever "unlimited" tier you're on, or just customer prioritization (related to congestion), which is also according to service tier. It's not necessarily a no service situation, but it can get slow enough that it might as well be, depending on the use.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
ATT was always garbage for me when I worked in midtown and had 5 bars. It was especially bad at MSG when I'd go to Rangers games.

Conversely I'm usually at one bar for Tmo but I get at minimum acceptable performance for iMessage or light app usage.

I don't think we have the low bands here in NYC but I think my XS supports them so that will be nice when it gets flipped on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Bars don't mean poo poo. I have ATT and at my house I get one bar pretty much all the time but I have zero issues with data or voice calls.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bars don't mean poo poo. I have ATT and at my house I get one bar pretty much all the time but I have zero issues with data or voice calls.

There was an article or post or something a few months ago about how bars don't equate to signal strength, but what the perceived signal were to be if you made a call right then and there. Like, your speeds aren't slower on 1 bar vs 5 bars, but your reception may be bad on 1 bar versus 5 bars.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

japtor posted:

Alternatively there's also whatever throttling the provider can do, whether it be cause hitting the cap on whatever "unlimited" tier you're on, or just customer prioritization (related to congestion), which is also according to service tier. It's not necessarily a no service situation, but it can get slow enough that it might as well be, depending on the use.

Probably less of a concern for T-Mobile cause their threshold is like 50 gigs for deprioritization and unless the other goon was on prepaid or something he should have priority.

T-Mobile is just janky. Does have some poor cell service quality I’ve noticed but I’m on wifi most of the time and it’s cheap as hell so I’m not going to complain about it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For those using Waze, CarPlay, and Ford I got this message today:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Probably less of a concern for T-Mobile cause their threshold is like 50 gigs for deprioritization and unless the other goon was on prepaid or something he should have priority.

T-Mobile is just janky. Does have some poor cell service quality I’ve noticed but I’m on wifi most of the time and it’s cheap as hell so I’m not going to complain about it.

I flipped to T-Mobil but as someone who travels all the time for work it’s just not that great.

Who has the absolute best coverage? Verizon or ATT?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think they're pretty much equal. I use ATT and coverage was great on a recent road trip (Chicago->Montana->Jasper and back). The only black holes were in remote mountain valleys where no one will have coverage.

But all my family in Montana uses Verizon and they're happy with their coverage there too.

Ten years ago it was bit more sketchy, ATT was only decent when you stuck to the interstates but Verizon's rural "LTE" was barely providing 3G speeds. But now it feels like there's good parity.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Yeah, nationwide, Verizon & AT&T are about on par. The coverage does tend to vary a bit between regions though.

In cities they tend to be pretty equal, but if you spend any time in rural areas it couldn’t hurt to check the maps, as well as a map for whatever your home area is regardless. I live out in the sticks, and it tends to be that AT&T (which I use) is really weak, Verizon comes in a tiny bit better, and Sprint is totally unusable. No idea on T-Mobile, but they don’t have much presence around here so I’m guessing not great. People here tend to use one of those three or one of the prepaids that use their networks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
13.0 public beta 3 is out

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jose Oquendo posted:

Same -- I have Verizon, and I'm at one bar so frequently in my apartment, that if it actually climbs to 2 bars once in a blue moon, I notice it like moths to a flame. Doesn't matter, though, as I've never had a single issue with reception.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

emdash posted:

Aw yeah, might be time to think about diving in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I follow the details link in the update page and it still won’t tell me what’s in build 3. Someone help me out here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

emdash posted:

Niiiiiiiice, thanks for the heads up!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hopefully it’s not total poo poo (on an iPad)!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hopefully it’s not total poo poo (on an iPad)!!!

Good news! It won't install on an iPad, so you don't have to worry about that!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I’m about 2 minutes from being real angry then!!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Worked perfectly for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Worked perfectly for me.

Very strange since iOS 13 doesn't exist for iPads!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I seriously don’t get the rebranding to iPadOS. It looks like iOS, runs like iOS and uses iOS apps. It’s iOS.

Hopefully PB3 on iPad is less of a mess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

I seriously don’t get the rebranding to iPadOS. It looks like iOS, runs like iOS and uses iOS apps. It’s iOS.

Bluebeam is still crashing almost immediately so not great for me! Doesn’t seem to be crashing from quickly swapping between apps, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

iPadOS will be MacOS in a couple more years. They're just getting everyone ready.

Maybe separating them forks their development process too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ideally a good iPad app is expanded more over the iPhone version, whether cause sheer screen size or the additional UI elements/interactions provided on the iPad. I'd guess the rebranding is to push for better iPad designed apps, besides the iPad itself, also cause Catalyst for Mac apps. Their spiel was a good starting point there was a good iPad app, which itself is more than just a big canvassed iPhone app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My activities app is doing this.

Does the grey area override the workouts.app? Are they additive? Should I not use the workouts app and only use the strong app when I’m lifting?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Very strange since iOS 13 doesn't exist for iPads!

You're a hoot at parties I bet.

But he didn't say iOS. He said 13.0 public beta 3 is out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hello, I'm having a recurring issue with my archaic iPhone 6. When I plug in headphones (lol headphone jack) the sound won't play through them, however when I unplug them sound comes out of the speaker just fine. However if I restart the phone, everything works again. I'm not sure what the issue is. It's almost as if when the phone plays sound through the speaker (like with an alarm) it somehow disables the ability for the headphone jack to work. Any ideas?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

hello, I'm having a recurring issue with my archaic iPhone 6. When I plug in headphones (lol headphone jack) the sound won't play through them, however when I unplug them sound comes out of the speaker just fine. However if I restart the phone, everything works again. I'm not sure what the issue is. It's almost as if when the phone plays sound through the speaker (like with an alarm) it somehow disables the ability for the headphone jack to work. Any ideas?

Any Bluetooth audio devices on and around?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

Any Bluetooth audio devices on and around?

I do have a pair of bluetooth headphones that I setup, but they weren't anywhere nearby when this happened. I'll try turning off bluetooth anyway - thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I would blast some canned air in the headphone jack and lightning port. A hard reset wouldn't hurt either.