Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PuddingKnight posted:

big lol @ Uncanny 22 today

Spoilers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

More people die and nothing matters

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Skwirl posted:

Spoilers?

Haven't read it but looking at spoilers online:

- Havok explodes for... some reason?
- Madrox dies off-screen.
- The rest of the X-Men return, they think about following with Emma's plan of deleting everyone in the world memory about mutants but decide against it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Good week to be a fan of Madrox, Warlock and Havok.

Anyone going to a midnight release next week?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloks posted:

Good week to be a fan of Madrox, Warlock and Havok.

Anyone going to a midnight release next week?

Jesus Christ, what the hell was the point of any of this?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Adnor posted:

Haven't read it but looking at spoilers online:

- Havok explodes for... some reason?
- Madrox dies off-screen.
- The rest of the X-Men return, they think about following with Emma's plan of deleting everyone in the world memory about mutants but decide against it.

Didn't they just bring Madrox back?

Also I bet Emma's plan was Rosenberg's big pitch for a big status quo shift in his run, but then he got told 'no, we're giving the line to Hickman now'.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's a lot about this run that feels as if it was meant to be at least a year longer, especially these last couple of issues. Cortez gets fried by a Sentinel and you don't find out it was him for a page and a half.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was one of the worst X-Men runs ever.

Also pretty sure that Hickman is gonna wipe the slate clean and ignore all of that poo poo.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pretty crummy that Emma's big move to become the Black King (in that super good Williams oneshot!) ended in her becoming a patsy for O.N.E., doing a bunch of evil stuff she didn't even want to do, and then having her big plan to make it all worth it fizzle out into nothing immediately after it was enacted.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Android Blues posted:

Pretty crummy that Emma's big move to become the Black King (in that super good Williams oneshot!) ended in her becoming a patsy for O.N.E., doing a bunch of evil stuff she didn't even want to do, and then having her big plan to make it all worth it fizzle out into nothing immediately after it was enacted.

Jean coming in - a telepath who would surely sense that Scott's brother just exploded like a Spinal Tap drummer - and snogging Scott in front of Emma and Logan was truly icing on the turd sandwich. After Scott & Logan repeatedly told Emma Frost to "shut up" and then the X-Men rejected her plan at the end after all this buildup we get a weird payoff(?) to Phoenix Resurrection, that badly didn't fit the issue tonally.

Rosenberg left so many plot points loose or undeveloped, and frequently Uncanny was just a mess to try and parse what was going on. Larroca might not be my favourite artist, but he seemed to have no idea how to translate the script to the page, and the deaths just did not land at all.

Austen's run was ridiculous, but I'd take "weirdly horny but no idea what to do" over Rosenberg's flailing, mischaracterised brutality any day, and Guggenheim must be thrilled that Gold got "beaten" straight afterwards too. I really need to see some exciting creative teams on Saturday, because this period leading up to Hickman has been brutal in terms of "flagship" X-Men.

Age of X-Man Omega was decent as a wrap-up that concluded the events themes well, and X-Force, while never coming close to the best X-Force work, ended on a high at least. I really liked Domino: Hotshots too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Metalshark posted:

I really liked Domino: Hotshots too.

seconded

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Codependent Poster posted:

That was one of the worst X-Men runs ever.

Also pretty sure that Hickman is gonna wipe the slate clean and ignore all of that poo poo.

Banshee is already alive in the preview that came out this week.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is CBR going to run a very detailed comparison of Austen's and Rosenberg's works entitled who was the worst X-writer? They should!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't they just bring Madrox back?

Also I bet Emma's plan was Rosenberg's big pitch for a big status quo shift in his run, but then he got told 'no, we're giving the line to Hickman now'.

Nah, Rosenberg's only been on the book since January and Hickman said when his was announced he'd been back over a year already working on it. I haven't read this run but it almost certainly was written knowing exactly what Hickman is doing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somehow what I hate most about that whole loving run is that Doctor Nemesis was in it. At least everybody else had been in lovely stories before, but he had been pure up until now, uncorrupted. He even had the good sense to wear a face mask so Greg Land couldn't give him that awful smile.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Somehow what I hate most about that whole loving run is that Doctor Nemesis was in it. At least everybody else had been in lovely stories before, but he had been pure up until now, uncorrupted. He even had the good sense to wear a face mask so Greg Land couldn't give him that awful smile.

the actual way Hickman is going to explain how this whole run of Uncanny didn't happen was it was all one of Doctor Nemesis' hallucinations after a particularly rank batch of Ultracoffee

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

from the Entertainment Weekly preview of House/Power of X

quote:

“I have some general philosophies on what kind of work you should do at Marvel, that I try and adhere to. I think the stories should be big,” Hickman says. “Any time you can mine your continuity and the existing continuity of the company in a way that evokes a response from audience and not confusion, that’s powerful, and you’re crazy not to utilize it when you’re writing these books. The cardinal rule beyond that is at the end of the day, after you’ve torn up the playroom and scattered all the toys, you put everything all back on the shelf. Don’t be an a—hole and leave a mess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hickman is a big Emma fan so maybe Rosenberg is just bitter.

How did he do Magneto?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

just seems dumb to think whatever rosenberg is doing isn’t to set up hickman’s run. doesn’t make rosenberg any less lovely of a writer, but i’m guessing all these deaths were dictated by editorial

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I did like that the last issues of Age of X-Man and Uncanny both talked about the idea of Story. Put together they were a good microcosm of the X-line as a whole, in the sense that there's always nutso is-it-real-or-not poo poo going on (AoX) and depressing/incomprehensible bullshit going on (Uncanny) somewhere in the line at any given point.

What else to say... from AoX, Laura and Gabby will never not be the best part of any story they're in, and I love that the door was left open for this "realm" to keep existing. I'd be shocked if this is the last we see of it. And as for Uncanny, well, I mean someone had to X-write the worst fuckin' X-run in the entirety of X-history, and I'm almost pleased to have witnessed it as it happened. Almost. Feel free to ignore any and every part of that fuckin trainwreck, Jonathan.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What did the New Mutants do to Rosenberg lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay so but like so on the upside like...at least the Hickman X-previews are looking really darn good?

This new Krakoa haven for mutants looks and sounds pretty awesome. But then, I'm not sure how this is supposed to be that big of an upheaval from the same old approach of mutants living in some secret refuge away from the real world approach that Xavier has always had.

Also, I can't help but think -- like this was the literal first thought that came to me after seeing it -- "It's sure gonna suck when someone inevitably destroys this place for shock value!"

radlum
May 13, 2013

I mean...he is not wrong. One of the reasons I love Secret Wars is that despite the mess Hickman made to get there, it has a very hopeful ending and doesn't leave a mess for the next writers.

Anyway, Rosenberg's run was crap. I remember feeling bad when people got upset at Blinfold's death, since it was just the first issue but now I feel I was being to nice. Pointless deaths, stupid plot, lame villains, poor characterization; I will avoid all of Rosenberg's work from now on; good writers have done OK or mediocre work on UXM, but his was on another (awful) level.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its okay I can see their parachutes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I mean...he is not wrong. One of the reasons I love Secret Wars is that despite the mess Hickman made to get there, it has a very hopeful ending and doesn't leave a mess for the next writers.

Anyway, Rosenberg's run was crap. I remember feeling bad when people got upset at Blinfold's death, since it was just the first issue but now I feel I was being to nice. Pointless deaths, stupid plot, lame villains, poor characterization; I will avoid all of Rosenberg's work from now on; good writers have done OK or mediocre work on UXM, but his was on another (awful) level.

I was bolding that in reference to the giant mess Rosenberg left, not Secret Wars.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I hadn't been reading X-Men since someone said it was bad but I had been reading the Age of X-Man books and was curious to see how they'd come back, and holy poo poo what a loving mess. Rosenberg offs characters like he's writing a drat What If issue. All it needed was Spider-Man showing up to get killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

radlum posted:

I would say the exact opposite actually. "At the end of my run I don't want anyone or anything to have meaningfully changed in any way" is kind of a depressing thing to read. It is possible to change things without having to 'put the toys back' as it were.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think to an extent Hickman is being a bit modest. Even if he didn't really take a ton of major Fantastic Four characters and concepts off of the table, for example, he did expand what kinds of stories future writers could do with them in a pretty significant way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, he also did stuff like heal Doom's face and bring Ultimate Reed Richards and Miles Morales into the 616, it's not like he reset everything. You just shouldn't kill off a half dozen moderately popular characters for no apparent loving reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hickman's just saying to not just leave plot threads unresolved with a ton of major characters killed off for no reason for the next writer to deal with.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ImpAtom posted:

I would say the exact opposite actually. "At the end of my run I don't want anyone or anything to have meaningfully changed in any way" is kind of a depressing thing to read. It is possible to change things without having to 'put the toys back' as it were.

I think it's less about not having meaningful change and more about.. y'know, not Rosenberging the whole thing. Having one or two characters swept off the board for a period of time, or some new dramatic shift in the status quo is one thing, utterly decimating the line entirely another.

Give the person coming in after you something to work with, not salted earth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how long did doom's face last again? :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

how long did doom's face last again? :v:

Dan Slott melted his face again right? Almost three years then. It probably would have lasted longer if Bendis hadn't left, Infamous Iron Man was a reasonably successful book and from the way he ended it, it was obvious Bendis had more ideas for the book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Nah, Rosenberg's only been on the book since January and Hickman said when his was announced he'd been back over a year already working on it. I haven't read this run but it almost certainly was written knowing exactly what Hickman is doing.

I'd buy that if I didn't know some of the people working on AoXM books learned about Hickman's big push when they read about it on CBR.

People vastly overestimate the amount of communication and oversight that happens behind the scenes in the comics industry.

EDIT:

Skwirl posted:

Dan Slott melted his face again right? Almost three years then. It probably would have lasted longer if Bendis hadn't left, Infamous Iron Man was a reasonably successful book and from the way he ended it, it was obvious Bendis had more ideas for the book.

Nah, that was Bendis at the end of Infamous Iron Man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'd buy that if I didn't know some of the people working on AoXM books learned about Hickman's big push when they read about it on CBR.

People vastly overestimate the amount of communication and oversight that happens behind the scenes in the comics industry.

EDIT:

Nah, that was Bendis at the end of Infamous Iron Man

Wait, really? I don't remember that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Wait, really? I don't remember that.

I was mistaken, it wasn't the last issue of Infamous IM, it was on Bendis' last Iron Man issue, Invincible Iron Man #600. The Hood (or whatever it was running around calling itself the Hood, at one point the phrase "Parker Robbins is a vessel" is used) does it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It was so forced though, it was absolutely because Slott didn't want to deal with anything other than a generic Doom without any growth or development.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

It was so forced though, it was absolutely because Slott didn't want to deal with anything other than a generic Doom without any growth or development.

Come now, be fair, there are plenty of writers who didn't want to deal with anything other than a generic Doom without any growth or development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1152296060837982209

XMEN
MARAUDERS
EXCALIBUR
XFORCE
NEWMUTANTS
FALLENANGELS