Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

if there was anything i was worried about with the school phase it was how long i was gonna be playing it for and how long i was gonna get saddled with decision paralysis for during said phase

apparently the choice is right at the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gamerofthegame posted:

apparently the choice is right at the start

I meant id get the urge to min/max and figure out who gets trained in what and who to poach from the other houses and poo poo and end up dawdling for a long rear end time during the school phase

Like I’m a guy who redid an entire chapter of Genealogy just to make sure Lewyn shacked up with Tailtiu like I’d intended

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
By the 2nd house, you'll probably have a good grasp of how to plan out your day and maximize time to recruit another character while keeping parity with your own house.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Zoran posted:

I think we've seen Byleth's full class chart and there was nothing unique in it

Not sure about this, there is at least one class which doesn't even show up if the requirements aren't met which is Dark Bishop. So it could well be the unique classes are the same.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder how easy it is to mess up the school stage of the game and not manage to recruit someone from another house and ruin the units that you do have.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just don’t know what a player avatar adds to FE. Let alone a silent one.

Fanart and fanfic search tells me self-inserts are popular. Even weaksauce Mark from FE7 kinda succeeded at that, because booooy do I remember the Tactitian OCs in fanfics back in the day. Even now you can find ppl drawing/writing Byleth self-insert/Claude/Edgelord/Punished Dimitri/take your pick.

I'm not a super fan of those mostly because of all the rear end kissing the game does to the MC, and by extension, the player (Fates and Heroes are excepcionally guilty of this). I'm looking at you, Fjorm.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder how easy it is to mess up the school stage of the game and not manage to recruit someone from another house and ruin the units that you do have.

that's probably why the professors exist :v:

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Starsnostars posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly easy to miss out on out-of-house recruits if you spread yourself too thin or something since it's sounding like one or two tops is about all you can manage to grab. I'd assume ruining your entire house'd probably take either incredibly bad luck with blind experimentation or a deliberate effort to pick every subject wrong, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shiny777 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly easy to miss out on out-of-house recruits if you spread yourself too thin or something since it's sounding like one or two tops is about all you can manage to grab. I'd assume ruining your entire house'd probably take either incredibly bad luck with blind experimentation or a deliberate effort to pick every subject wrong, though.

Yeah, this. You have helpful green up arrows and red down arrows to show you how to skill your units. Some may be better served by unlocking a hidden potential, turning a weakness into a strength, thus unlocking an easier path to unorthodox class choices that might be better served with their growth. But I figure you will always get serviceable units if you simply go with each unit's strengths.

Recruiting specific members of other houses probably needs a guide, while I think you will likely meet at least one character's recruitment requirements by accident, no matter what you do.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
So I'm gonna take a wild guess based on everyone's preferred weapons and make the assumption that to probably get the most characters to jump to your house you'd probably need to invest heavily in swords. and maybe along the way you get a bunch of the characters who "want big lvls or good str" since those seem more based on byleth. Tho that's how I'm understanding the mechanic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like you could deliberately focus on everyones weaknessses and have things turn out okay. The difference just seems to be how quickly they unlock new classes via weapon ranks, not some massive issue of stats. Like the e3 demo had the nintendo rep making Linhardt a cavalier just because and he was doing fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

I feel like you could deliberately focus on everyones weaknessses and have things turn out okay. The difference just seems to be how quickly they unlock new classes via weapon ranks, not some massive issue of stats. Like the e3 demo had the nintendo rep making Linhardt a cavalier just because and he was doing fine.

But Linhardt has no weakness in any of the cavalier proficiencies.

But you're right that the strength and weaknesses mainly determine how fast you can class change. I could imagine that somebody who has strengths in his class path's proficiencies could gain the ranks to pass the class exams before they reach level 15/20 for the higher tier classes, while somebody with weaknesses in them likely reaches those levels before being able to pass the exams. But there might be a reason to remain in a lower tier class anyway, since each character also has a level in each class he's unlocked, and you get the classes unique talent when you max level that class (max level is level 5). So even if you fulfill the requirements to advance to a higher tier class, you might want to remain in your current one until you get it's capstone talent, depending on how powerful said talent is.

It will be very interesting to see how big of an influence the strengths/weaknesses system really has on the class composition of your units.

Still 10 days until Three Houses comes out :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah but he's obviously specced to be a mage, not a physical class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The base game is designed for normal, which almost every reviewer says is too easy, while factoring in casual mode and turn wind at 3 uses at the start.

The developers definition of a failsafe and what people in this thread are going to play on are probably going to be very different (Since hard mode apparently doesn't even have grinding or something).

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tae posted:

The base game is designed for normal, which almost every reviewer says is too easy, while factoring in casual mode and turn wind at 3 uses at the start.

The developers definition of a failsafe and what people in this thread are going to play on are probably going to be very different (Since hard mode apparently doesn't even have grinding or something).

On weekends there are a few skirmish battles to choose from, though apparently it changes from week to week and there might not be available skirmishes every weekend. Those take up "venture points" which might or might not replenish every week. On top of those, in normal mode there is one skirmish battle available every week which doesn't use up "venture points" so there isn't infinite grinding for normal either.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The guy who's doing Polygon's review just confirmed on Reddit that males can be dancers, and that none of the unique classes appear on the certification board until after they are unlocked through story progress.

So I think among Master-level classes, we have Falcon Knight and Gremory as female-exclusive, with War Master as male-exclusive. I believe Dark Bishop is male-exclusive and also unique in the same way as Dancer—you can get special instruction in the class, but only once. It's unclear to me whether it's an Advanced- or Master-level class.

edit: heh

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did they mention anything about dual audio, or is Europe just without english for some reason?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zoran posted:

The guy who's doing Polygon's review just confirmed on Reddit that males can be dancers, and that none of the unique classes appear on the certification board until after they are unlocked through story progress.

So I think among Master-level classes, we have Falcon Knight and Gremory as female-exclusive, with War Master as male-exclusive. I believe Dark Bishop is male-exclusive and also unique in the same way as Dancer—you can get special instruction in the class, but only once. It's unclear to me whether it's an Advanced- or Master-level class.

edit: heh

pack it up fellas, Three Houses confirmed to be disaster

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You cannot get A supports before the time skip.

Byleth can not become a Dancer.

quote:

It feels like mounted units are way more powerful than they've been in previous games. The maps are a lot bigger and many of the top tier classes are mounted, almost like being mounted is a direct upgrade to non-mounted units. That said there are a few non-mounted top tier classes that crush in terms of stats and damage, like the magic-centric Gremory infantry class.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 17, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way they phrase that I suspect they mean Birthright. That said, we have already in trailers seen more interesting scenes than contained in the entirety of Birthright so

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Everyone's playing on normal mode, still waiting to see a week from now if anyone done with one route tries hard mode and see the changes.

It was kinda stark how different hard in SoV was, and I wonder if hard mode's solution to horse Calvary is just equipping more anti-horse weapons.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I hope that comment just meant subject matter and not writing quality. Though it was weird to mention Awakening's time traveling babies and not Fate's time compression babies, but maybe it was only referring to the main plot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's kinda strange that reviewer thinks Awakening had more crazy stuff than Fates.

I know i'd consider time travelling kids less weird than kids who had accelerated growth from growing up in a pocket dimension.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That was my reason for thinking that they only played birthright. They could also just be a person who doesn't think too hard about the story and just appreciates the spectacle

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Tae posted:

Everyone's playing on normal mode, still waiting to see a week from now if anyone done with one route tries hard mode and see the changes.

It was kinda stark how different hard in SoV was, and I wonder if hard mode's solution to horse Calvary is just equipping more anti-horse weapons.

I really wonder whether enemy units use combat arts at all, and whether that is affected by difficulty.

cheetah7071 posted:

That was my reason for thinking that they only played birthright. They could also just be a person who doesn't think too hard about the story and just appreciates the spectacle

Yeah, I don't really read too much into it. I just think it's hilarious that this person picked the one comparison that was sure to send people into meltdowns.

edit: He elaborates:

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 17, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zoran posted:

I really wonder whether enemy units use combat arts at all, and whether that is affected by difficulty.

Some reviewers said they definitely use combat arts as well.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's kinda strange that reviewer thinks Awakening had more crazy stuff than Fates.

I know i'd consider time travelling kids less weird than kids who had accelerated growth from growing up in a pocket dimension.

Could just never touch the kid mechanic, or more likely, most people don't actually think beyond surface on anything involving time problems.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is your reminder that nearly every professional review for Fates praised the writing as gripping and layered.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And this very thread sang the praises of the Fates gameplay for months

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

people still sing the praises of fates gameplay

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Conquest is very good!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Real talk: Recruiting other students is HARD. Teachers are easy, they usually require levels, and the level reqs seem pretty low. But students seem to have high demands. Playing without any guides or direction I was unable to recruit any students from other houses in part 1 because my Byleth's skills didn't really match up with what they were looking for. I didn't try all of them, but the few that I wanted to recruit needed stuff like flying, lances and charisma and the requirements seemed pretty high. TLDR, if you have your eye on someone, make sure you focus on those skills in Part 1, otherwise you'll miss your chance.

yeah as expected

Zoran posted:

Conquest is very good!
purely gameplay wise conquest is probably the fourth worst game in the series, only beating fe2, fe1, and revelation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically, there are two modes FE's combat really shines in.

1) Juggling multiple objectives.
2) The enemy aggressively coming to you and you have to defend on multiple fronts.

Conquest does the latter twice and only pretends at the former. Instead, it focuses all its design on what I'd describe as combat tunnels. That is, narrow paths filled with enemies that you have to fight through, and the difficulty comes from raw stats rather than any strategic considerations. It's an exhausting mode of design that both gets very old very quickly and reveals the massive flaws of both Fates' pair-up systems and its UI, considering how many goddanged Ninjas the game throws at you. A system in which the greatest strategy is just Xander, Guard Naginatas, and Horse Spirits moving forward in a straight line is not engaging nor interesting, and it's so oppressively designed that you can't even have the base fun of smashing dudes into dudes. Map design is too cramped and simple to be challenging, but enemy stats are pumped way too high to be fun.

And pretty much every lategame conquest map is more poorly designed than anything in Echoes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like Fates gameplay in about 90% of instances :shrug:
I think the weapons just needed another pass to iron out the kinks (daggers were kind of too good, for example and made Ninja Hell ninja hell), but most of the things that bug some people I found really enjoyable or I didn't interact with enough to break over my knee. Like forging.

The skill and weapon effect micromanaging might be why I'm fond of Heroes's whole....nonsense, even if I make fun of the absurdity of the weapon descriptions.

Except for Revelations, which I am not including my calculations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think daggers were just a poor idea in general.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Male dancers?

Excellent, Ignatz now has a use.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Conquest map design is mostly a series of tricky enemy formations, repeated ad nauseum. You almost never have to think more than a turn or two into the future. A few maps with that design would be a nice novelty but not every map.

I also dislike most of the combat innovations--heavy focus on skills so you have to check every enemy, every weapon having an effect you have to remember, debuffs existing, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Efficiently cracking open a really tough enemy formation is fun, but it shouldn't be the only thing you do, and that's the basic problem with Conquest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked daggers and shurikens. Though I think that was mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It is interesting how Three Houses has abandoned basically every idea Fates had, mechanically. The only thing that really seems to be here is the idea of a homebase, but it's implemented so differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Fates innovations work a lot better in Heroes just because maps are much smaller. Functionally, each map of Heroes is kinda like a single enemy formation in Conquest. Its just that you don't have to do ten of them back to back to get the win

e: debuffs are still poo poo though