Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Sucks that I didn't know about it when it was on sale, but oh well.
Any tips for starting out? So far the things I've noticed from watching stuff is:
Scavenge the poo poo out of fights early on.
Become a shinobi, if only for the beds and trading.
Losing fights is not only okay, it's expected.

What are some of the must have mods?(Especially if I eventually wanna make my own town) The link to a list in the op is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nalesh posted:

Sucks that I didn't know about it when it was on sale, but oh well.
Any tips for starting out? So far the things I've noticed from watching stuff is:
Scavenge the poo poo out of fights early on.
Become a shinobi, if only for the beds and trading.
Losing fights is not only okay, it's expected.

What are some of the must have mods?(Especially if I eventually wanna make my own town) The link to a list in the op is broken.

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I don't think you need any mods starting off. If you want to build an army, get or make (it's actually incredibly easy to make your own basic mods using the built in tools) a mod to increase the maximum party size.

Compressed textures is good if you aren't running the game off of a supercomputer.

Dog backpacks is good if you have dogs.

There's a mod for renaming animals if you have animals that you want to name.

There are mods to gain access to more types of buildings, although they're mostly weird poo poo that you don't need.

There's a mod that allows you to build copper drills, which is nice because for some reason you can build ore and iron drills by default, but that one you have to pickaxe by hand?

There's a mod that allows you to make paper and craft books, which can be nice if you'd rather do base building instead of raid labs.

If you have some hivers, there's a mod that gives you some armor specific to them.

If you have a master weaponsmith and are annoyed that the purchased weapons are slightly better than your crafted ones, get or make a mod for that.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I managed with some work to get Kenshi Demo running on my old MacBook Pro but it was unplayably unresponsive.

I was running it off of a USB hard drive soooo I assume that probably contributed as well, I don’t think I messed around with the graphics yet either. I could probably fit it on my laptops windows partition and see if that makes it run smoother. I have 8gbs of ram too so uh that might also be an issue.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I managed with some work to get Kenshi Demo running on my old MacBook Pro but it was unplayably unresponsive.

I was running it off of a USB hard drive soooo I assume that probably contributed as well, I don’t think I messed around with the graphics yet either. I could probably fit it on my laptops windows partition and see if that makes it run smoother. I have 8gbs of ram too so uh that might also be an issue.

For some bad reason I use 8GB of ram also and like I said, I can usually tell when the game starts to chug and needs a reset, but I've almost never had a full-on crash

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

An SSD is pretty much mandatory with how much this game loads and unloads zones. The intel video may be the bottleneck on a mac, though. 8GB is fine (for a few hours, until the memory leaks catch you).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And definitely get that texture compression mod

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Clark Nova posted:

An SSD is pretty much mandatory with how much this game loads and unloads zones. The intel video may be the bottleneck on a mac, though. 8GB is fine (for a few hours, until the memory leaks catch you).

Oh I have it installed on an SSD... just attached via usb lol.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Might not even bother with it in that case, because that's effectively the same as not having it on SSD at all. SSD is about data throughput rate. Standard USB 2.0 has like 30 MB/s. Internal SSD has 200+MB/s, which is the part of it that you actually want.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Definitely get the texture mod, get the party size mod if you start getting towards 32 people and think you'll go over it. People also really like dark UI.

I don't think you should change anything else until you've played a bit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than the hotpants and high heels mods obviously

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Goon beakthing mod. :colbert:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I could probably fit it somehow or see if I can expand my windows partition so I can get it on my macbooks ssd. Given that it was actually stable but just unplayably-slideshow-esqe on the USB at default graphics I might be able to make it actually run if I potato mode it. Something to do on my day off if there isn’t any surf tomorrow(there never is, gently caress the east coast) I guess.

I might be able to finally try out my dream of playing Spartacus in the Holy Nation since I saw a YouTube video of this game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Goon beakthing mod. :colbert:

Baka things and clown mod are required for optimal Kenshi experience.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Are there any more performance improving mods like the compressed textures? My computer ran the demo okay but the full game for some reason is less smooth

Edit: seems like setting the Grass density setting to zero vastly improves the game performance

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 17, 2019

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I'm still on my first major playthrough and have sided with the flotsam ninjas and gone hostile with the holy nation. Had my first holy nation raid of two good sized patrols which each consisted of like 7 paladins one high paladin and a good amount of holy servants. When first notified I did not know how big the attack was going to be so I rushed off to the nearby waystation and hired two sets of goons and set guys up my harpoons which are at MkII. I had 10 harpoons trained on them. Needless to say they knocked down the first gate at high cost (bodies piled high) but were fighting with mercs outside my 2nd gate and cut to pieces by the turrets. First taste of war in kenshi. Only casualty was a bonedog which got insta killed friendly fired on by a turret (HEADSHOT) after everything was over and I just left my bonedogs out by the pile to attack anyone who got back up after KO.

for those who have battled HN before how does the size of this raid compare to avg raids vs the big wrath of god raid? Also if I wanted to go adventuring could I pay the pacifier to prevent any large wrath of god style raid from occurring? relations are at -75 rightnow. I wouldn't feel super good about leaving just the base operating squad to face a big raid.

I noticed where they approach from so I am adding a handful of turrets to the walls facing that approach (gate faces a different way) so that my melee fights can help whittle down any approach before they get to the gate and then disengage while they are at the gate to get back into position.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you join flotsam you can’t use the pacifier to reset relations with the holy nation. Same with UC/anti-slavers. The raids will steadily escalate but you won’t get a Wrath of God event unless you start taking down their faction leaders.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Are you putting your non-gunners on gate repair duty, this is extremely important.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on tobels lp, the wrath of God raid was like 8 patrols worth.

Is the event actually required to take down the nation? I just snuck into the places to kidnap the high inquisitors and don't actually have an outpost since I'm playing solo (other than some random scrub that's been researching eternally in a house in squin)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Clark Nova posted:

If you join flotsam you can’t use the pacifier to reset relations with the holy nation. Same with UC/anti-slavers. The raids will steadily escalate but you won’t get a Wrath of God event unless you start taking down their faction leaders.

My first raid from the HN when playing the Holy Sword start was a Wrath of God, so I think it might just be gated by how hostile they are

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

BMan posted:

Are you putting your non-gunners on gate repair duty, this is extremely important.

they are behind the second gate on repair duty. I have a double gate system with the idea if I was not paying attention to the base (like when adventuring) the skeletons that I have on eternal gunner duty would alert me to attacks by flashing and while mobs are taking down first gate I can get everyone else into position to try and prevent the second gate from being breached. This has resulted in my base never being breached by lowly bandits. the two HN patrols did breach the first gate (lvl3) fairly quickly, but lost close to half their number. 8 squads could probably breach my gates just by pure mass. That is just a lot of dudes.

I'm trying to foster relations with the Shek and will now ally with the hounds rather than kidnap their leader (for now) to bring in as many extra bodies as possible for the inevitable WoG. What I am hearing is that I simply need more bodies to throw against bodies. I think next mission will be to go raid some nearby HN mines/farms to get some low level guys to recruit. the Paladins and High Paladins just are not recruiting and im not about to spend 30 mins running dialogue to recruit. They are dangerously close to just being tossed into the biofuel cage. I let Flying Bull starve to death in a cage on accident because he would not join the 30 times I tried to get him to join lol that seems to be how things are going. captured peeps have until they starve to death to join then they get turned into fuel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Depending where you base is some of the wrath of god guys could get distracted so you won't get hit with everything at once. In the Tobel case he was up on leviathan coast and about 2/3 of em were delayed by beak things

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Azhais posted:

Depending where you base is some of the wrath of god guys could get distracted so you won't get hit with everything at once. In the Tobel case he was up on leviathan coast and about 2/3 of em were delayed by beak things

I'm pretty close on the border of the border zone and the swamp. So this will not help. I will have to just crush them or die.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You could run away. It's a legitimate option.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Build a base in Gut, the local wildlife eats Taxmen and Zealots

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or the Fog where the HN is just too scared to go

e: Can you give prisoners cybernetic legs? Like could one, say, put the holy inquisitor in a peeler then give him cybernetics and release him back to the nation? Would they send him to rebirth?

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 17, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Either he'd be attacked on sight and struck until he actually dies for real, or nothing happens, depending on how friendly he is defined to the HN faction- IIRC a group with high enough relations with the HN can bring their skellies into HN territory, no problem. That said, it's something I've only heard on Reddit- someone want to test that out?

EDIT: Are there any mods that make weapons and armour stackable?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

Or the Fog where the HN is just too scared to go

e: Can you give prisoners cybernetic legs? Like could one, say, put the holy inquisitor in a peeler then give him cybernetics and release him back to the nation? Would they send him to rebirth?
This is possible just by pressing the Limbs button as per usual and I think I even remember someone telling a story here about doing that to the Phoenix and getting him Rebirth'd.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Am I crazy or did I read that you can replace skeleton's limbs at will? Because I can't and I wonder if it's a mod or I just heard wrong.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think so. It won't let me open the Limbs window on one of my standard skeletons, which is a requirement for that. Presumably a mod, then.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm starting a new game and starting with Freedom Seekers, because I want more skeleton guys than tend to be recruitable from bars. Is it worth making one of my six starting guys a scorchlander, so I can have a dedicated diplomat/thief, or can I muddle through with all robots so long as I avoid the holy lands?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing race really affects skill wise is speed of gain. I'm running around as a solo skeleton and I've got 80+ in all of the thief related skills now so it's not like you can't do it. Obviously a hiver will become a better thief faster, but if you're dedicated it doesn't really matter. I kidnapped both High Inquisitors by just running in, stealth ko, and running out without ever being seen so all things are possible

Frankly I like the skeleton for it since with all the extra martial arts damage you can save even more weight for loot

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

In my powerleveling stealth sessions, usually the difference in skill gain is that my +stealth characters can hit 85+ while the -stealth characters will be in the low 70s. So, in that sense yes, race kind of matters, but these sessions usually only last like 20 minutes or so, so it would be pretty trivial to make up the difference. Most of the labor skills or crafting stuff is AFK work anyways, so it's easy to grind that out. Weapon proficiency is the most important racial trait just because it's a big timesaver in the most time-intensive skill to level, both in-game and IRL time

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but even in that case low 70s is good enough for pretty much anything, especially if you're in full stealth mode and slap on some ninja rags and pants for like +40%

After picking up the inquisitors I was at ~68% stealth due to the "equipment penalty" of carrying the guys, and I still ran out past the gate guards without ever going red

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmmkay, thanks guys! And as far as combat goes, I assume that skeletons not having headgear isn't a big deal so long as I train their dexterity/dodge and make sure that they won't be taking many hits in the first place?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skeletons are ridiculously tough and their natural regeneration (which they actually do have, despite what the description tells you) makes them more than capable of taking on nearly anything in their weight class even with the slots that aren't accessible to them.

That said, it's also trivial to just get a mod that opens those, if you prefer. The game is perfectly capable of displaying helmets on top of skeleton physique, although it looks really weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skeletons fight good. Not as good as a cybershek, but pretty good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the bonus to heavy weapons, is good

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only good skeleton is a skeleton locked to my turret forever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, this game suddenly got trading cards it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

dogstile posted:

The only good skeleton is a skeleton locked to my turret forever.

skeletons are just the CPUs of my automated defense turrets.