Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

G-Reco on the other hand may be one of the biggest offenders. The Capital Army rolls out 4 different mobile suits in what feels like a matter of weeks.

Not really. Their first combat model is just a Recten with the serial numbers filed off (after literally just sticking guns and armor onto Rectens), and the Elf Bullock is pretty visibly a protype for the mass-production Mack Knifes.

They're also working off blueprints of millennia-old technology, so it's not exactly R&D-intensive as innovating from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

at least they actually had the balls to mass-produce one of their ridiculous gimmick bots, unlike the coward zeon who refused to see the zakrello's full potential

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh, you're a Gundam fan? Then where's your Char massage chair?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

at least they actually had the balls to mass-produce one of their ridiculous gimmick bots, unlike the coward zeon who refused to see the zakrello's full potential

Two of their ridiculous gimmick bots. The Mack Knife fights through zero-gravity breakdancing, and the Wuxia is a close-quarters assault suit that makes up for its lack of melee weapons by being really good at giant robot MMA.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Holy gently caress, it's CHARles Xavier, fighting for the equality of mutants. Does that make Amuro Magneto?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

Holy gently caress, it's CHARles Xavier, fighting for the equality of mutants. Does that make Amuro Magneto?

char would be magneto if anything

he even has the asteroid

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Or Wolverine based on their shared ability to attract young girls in need of mentorship.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. Their first combat model is just a Recten with the serial numbers filed off (after literally just sticking guns and armor onto Rectens), and the Elf Bullock is pretty visibly a protype for the mass-production Mack Knifes.

They're also working off blueprints of millennia-old technology, so it's not exactly R&D-intensive as innovating from scratch.

I don't disagree with your overall point but the Elf Bullock was also mass-produced.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

“Elf Balls”

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Or Wolverine based on their shared ability to attract young girls in need of mentorship.

wolverine's young wards usually survive though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RillAkBea posted:

Zeta I can forgive for this because the EFSF/Titans are bankrolling every production plant in the earth-sphere.

G-Reco on the other hand may be one of the biggest offenders. The Capital Army rolls out 4 different mobile suits in what feels like a matter of weeks.

G-Reco is the series where it makes the most sense. They had all these old MS plans but no idea what they did. So they'd make a small batch one design, see how it worked, and then do another.

Plus the Capital Army had literally zero experience or memory of war. So it wouldn't have occurred to them to worry about the logistical and supply chain problems of fielding a dozen different MS on every ship

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

plus a lot of their mechs are just varying combinations of armor and guns on the same basic frame

they're more-or-less trial-and-erroring their way through MS development

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

plus a lot of their mechs are just varying combinations of armor and guns on the same basic frame

they're more-or-less trial-and-erroring their way through MS development

Not the Capital Army ones. Those all have very different designs with very different proportions. There's zero shared parts between the Caitsith, the Elf Bullock, the Mack Knife, and the Wuxia.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's also worth noting that there aren't really any armies in G-Reco. All of the different factions are more like somebody's hobby. The Capital Army is the closest to being an actual army, and even they hadn't figured out that you can't just leave the base completely abandoned on Friday nights while everybody gets drunk.

So it makes sense for them to more interested in building cool new robots than establishing rational procurement procedure

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yinlock posted:

Well according to various side materials they did make more than one of those things(including a version that gave it Braw Bro style all ranged capabilities), and The Origin had it be Zeon's MP Mobile Armor instead of the Bigro(which took it's place as the in setting joke of a prototype, except it doesn't even get to fight), which is probably the weirdest change The Origin does

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's also worth noting that there aren't really any armies in G-Reco. All of the different factions are more like somebody's hobby. The Capital Army is the closest to being an actual army, and even they hadn't figured out that you can't just leave the base completely abandoned on Friday nights while everybody gets drunk.

So it makes sense for them to more interested in building cool new robots than establishing rational procurement procedure

The Amerians seem like they have a proper army, if a small and inexperienced one. You can actually see it in their mechanical design, too - it's much more conservative and standardised than anything from the rich kids playing with their shiny toys. In fact, most of their intrafactional conflict seems to be between experienced veterans who've seen enough brush wars for one lifetime and clueless, megalomaniacal civilians and fresh recruits.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

char would be magneto if anything

Yeah, he definitely would be, but the combination of the name Char and the fact the device looked like the animated X-Men show's hover wheelchair just made me giggle. Char definitely has more in common with Magneto though, even putting aside that both can be anti-heroes or outright villains depending on entry. Char is the master of (personal) magnetism, uses a red suit, wears a helmet at almost all times, fights for the supremacy of a new type of human with vague powers and hates Nazis due to the death of his parents at the very least. There's a lot of coincidences you can find between them if you go looking.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Apparently this bad boy is going to be available in English on PS4, Steam and Switch on November 28.

https://youtu.be/HbSwvQ3ALRQ

I have no idea the counties where it will be released however.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 18, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Not the Capital Army ones. Those all have very different designs with very different proportions. There's zero shared parts between the Caitsith, the Elf Bullock, the Mack Knife, and the Wuxia.

The parts are different, but it's not hard to follow the basic silhouettes to see how they got from "a construction suit with guns and armor welded on" to the Cait Sith. And the Elf Bullock is very clearly a precursor to the Mack Knife by streamlining everything down to an optimized lightweight form with the same general design.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Solkanar512 posted:

Apparently this bad boy is going to be available in English on PS4, Steam and Switch on November 28.

Sweet! Gundam games have been too hard to come by.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

poo poo this looks cool

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The parts are different, but it's not hard to follow the basic silhouettes to see how they got from "a construction suit with guns and armor welded on" to the Cait Sith. And the Elf Bullock is very clearly a precursor to the Mack Knife by streamlining everything down to an optimized lightweight form with the same general design.

Yes, but that's not nearly the same as them having the same frames with different weapons and armour. The Elf series, for instance, are twice the Mack series's size and have very different underlying proportions (broader shoulders and a completely differently-shaped torso, for one thing).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Solkanar512 posted:

It's receiving an "Asia" release which will be in English. I liked the last one but it got stale fast, I'm hoping using non uc units will make it a little more fun.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

It's receiving an "Asia" release which will be in English. I liked the last one but it got stale fast, I'm hoping using non uc units will make it a little more fun.

At the very least I'd hope they put more limits on deployable units (for first playthrough at least) so you can't cheese things quite so easily like in Genesis.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

At the very least I'd hope they put more limits on deployable units (for first playthrough at least) so you can't cheese things quite so easily like in Genesis.

I wonder how they mix IBO suits in with their “we’re all immune to beam weapons” armor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I wonder how they mix IBO suits in with their “we’re all immune to beam weapons” armor.

Same way they would the Akatsuki, I guess.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Cheesing with a bunch of bullshit is half the appeal of the G Gen games that don't have a new set plot. Hopefully all the IBO, Wing and Astray stuff means that there will be more than 1 melee spec unit in the whole game.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Either they tone it down for game balance reasons (I think the suits with I-Fields in Genesis took half damage from beams or somesuch?) or... well, they could be like Overworld did and play it mostly straight, I remember I-Field units in G Gen Overworld being outright immune to ranged beams.

We'll see in any case, should be fun.

The other half is doing wacky crap like sticking Relena in the Strike Freedom, right?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Reiska posted:

The other half is doing wacky crap like sticking Relena in the Strike Freedom, right?

Exactly, slamming everyone you know into the God Gundam and having them yell about their hand burning red is the good poo poo.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Reiska posted:

Come and kill me Heero. If you can :unsmigghh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Reiska posted:

Either they tone it down for game balance reasons (I think the suits with I-Fields in Genesis took half damage from beams or somesuch?) or... well, they could be like Overworld did and play it mostly straight, I remember I-Field units in G Gen Overworld being outright immune to ranged beams.

They could also just have it be a set limit for how much damage can be nullified, after which, anything over it counts as regular damage. Like, set it as being immune to 10,000hp of attacks; and after the unit suffers that much in cumulative attacks, damage applies as normal. You'd probably need to scale it with levels, so that it might be only 100hp at the start or whatever, but there's no reason it couldn't be done that way. It's not even too far off what is probably the case in show, since napalm can burn off nanolaminate, so it's not immune to energy/heat if it's applied long enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

They could also just have it be a set limit for how much damage can be nullified, after which, anything over it counts as regular damage? Like, set it as being immune to 10,000hp of attacks; and after the unit suffers that much in cumulative attacks, damage applies as normal. You'd probably need to scale it with levels, so that it might be only 100hp at the start or whatever, but there's no reason it couldn't be done that way. It's not even too far off what is probably the case in show, since napalm can burn off nanolaminate, so it's not immune to energy/heat if it's applied long enough.

Just for argument's sake about the IBO MS's in general; I think that particle beams are actually just skidding off a nanolaminate surface like it's teflon rather than impact and refraction, so they're quite likely just fascinatingly flat-immune to beam weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just for argument's sake about the IBO MS's in general; I think that particle beams are actually just skidding off a nanolaminate surface like it's teflon rather than impact and refraction, so they're quite likely just fascinatingly flat-immune to beam weapons.

That said, we do know that nanolaminate-coated armour does have a maximum tolerance, because of the existence of anti-ship napalm (which sticks to a ship's hull and slowly burns its nanolaminate paint away). Presumably, sustained beam fire would eventually bring down an IBO mobile suit by wearing away its coating and rendering the suit beneath vulnerable, but it would be extremely inefficient.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Teflon can be burned off too though. It's just that regular cooking temperatures aren't hot enough to cause it problems. You need to heat it to 300 degrees celsius to start burning it, whereas most people cook in maybe a 150 - 220 degrees celsius range and would have no reason to get close to 300 degrees, since doing so would just incinerate the food they're trying to cook. I'm not even sure most cookers can actually reach that temperature. I can certainly see nanolaminate being immune to common beam weaponry, as least as used by mobile armors (whatever qualifies for that), and maybe even some stuff made to hit above that vague threshold; but I doubt it'd be immune to colony destroying stuff like the buster rifles, satellite cannons and quantum beams generated by AU stuff for example.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 18, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sweet! Gundam games have been too hard to come by.

you should probably only pick it up if you're REALLY into gundam, because genesis and this one have nothing but really dry retellings of canon events

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanolaminate also probably would have trouble ironically enough with AGE units since they all have DDOS rifles which are designed to pierce armor that is anti beam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nanolaminate also probably would have trouble ironically enough with AGE units since they all have DDOS rifles which are designed to pierce armor that is anti beam

If that weird drilling effect increases the amount of contact that the beam has with the coating, it might overload it faster, yeah.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

AGE isn't in the game though luckily. Gosh Bandai really wants to forget that series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://gbo2online.com/

Bandai Namco is doing a poll for Gundam Battle Operation 2, and the top ten most requested suits will be available as soon as you start playing without having to be unlocked

I can't stress enough how important it is that you all vote for the Xamel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

https://gbo2online.com/

Bandai Namco is doing a poll for Gundam Battle Operation 2, and the top ten most requested suits will be available as soon as you start playing without having to be unlocked

I can't stress enough how important it is that you all vote for the Xamel

When the fuckin' Hygogg is an option? I think not.

Very disappointed that the Kampfer isn't listed, though.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2019