Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean it in the sense that I rarely see the folks who flip their poo poo over Williamson react similarly to other candidates.

E: as an example, Liz's horrendous I/P poo poo has been brought up fairly often and it never earns more than a shrug from the folks who weren't already side-eyeing her, but lord do folks get real mad about Williamson and occassionally Gravel.
Pretty much this, Warren being lovely in various ways hasn't caused the thread meltdowns that the MAW discussions always seemingly lead to. And to be honest one is a far more productive conversation because they're an actual threat to win and is running as the runner up "most left" candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

LinYutang posted:

Gravel isn't held to account for his 9/11 trutherism as well.

9/11 trutherism is good though. Prosecute Cheney and Rumsfeld.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m gonna start charging y’all by the word you write about Marianne Williamson, and any other candidate polling at sub-3%.

Satan forbid there's discussion of the primary candidates in the primary thread!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ross perot in hell posted:

Satan forbid there's discussion of the primary candidates in the primary thread!

More accurately, the same discussion, with people writing more and more elaborate variations of “no, it’s bad to like problematic tired memes!” versus “actually problematic tired memes are fine leave us alone” in increasingly pretentious language.

Williamson is a boring topic because Williamson is only really here to raise her profile and sell books. At least the Gravel teens have an actual plan to influence the discourse and also are clearly not 100% smart on what the gently caress they’re actually doing which makes considering whether or not we should support them and if so how much an interesting topic of debate.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 18, 2019

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Lightning Knight posted:

More accurately, the same discussion, with people writing more and more elaborate variations of “no, it’s bad to like problematic tired memes!” versus “actually problematic tired memes are fine leave us alone” in increasingly pretentious language.

Williamson is a boring topic because Williamson is only really here to raise her profile and sell books. At least the Gravel teens have an actual plan to influence the discourse and also are clearly not 100% smart on what the gently caress they’re actually doing which makes considering whether or not we should support them and if so how much an interesting topic of debate.

You don't like Marianne, we get it. We can stick to discussing the imperialist candidates only I guess if that's required by the new rule you just made up, sure.

hip hip hooray for bernie "voted yes on the 9/11 AUMF so GWB could murder a million civilians" Sanders, the best candidate (that is allowable for discussion)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You don't like Marianne, we get it. We can stick to discussing the imperialist candidates only I guess if that's required by the new rule you just made up, sure.

I am disinterested in Marianne Williamson because Marianne Williamson is not a real candidate. She is a book seller who happens to make good tweets in between crazy tweets. I think the people acting like she’s a greater threat than people like Booker or the Butt are dumb but so is holding her up as the great anti-imperialist hope when she’d just as soon announce that the solution to the I/P conflict is for everyone to better align their spirit energy or whatever.

There is no real good second choice to Bernie, but if I had to pick one it’d be Gravel.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Lightning Knight posted:

I am disinterested in Marianne Williamson because Marianne Williamson is not a real candidate. She is a book seller who happens to make good tweets in between crazy tweets. I think the people acting like she’s a greater threat than people like Booker or the Butt are dumb but so is holding her up as the great anti-imperialist hope when she’d just as soon announce that the solution to the I/P conflict is for everyone to better align their spirit energy or whatever.

There is no real good second choice to Bernie, but if I had to pick one it’d be Gravel.

TBF, the solution to the I/P conflict is for everyone to better align their spirit energy, and she's the only candidate brave enough to say it and risk ridicule from the so called "intellectual left"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m gonna start charging y’all by the word you write about Marianne Williamson, and any other candidate polling at sub-3%.

Thanks for this, phenomenal idea.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

i'm p sure her two state solution would have palestine's borders drawn on the astral plane while israel is shackled to the physical realm

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TBF, the solution to the I/P conflict is for everyone to better align their spirit energy, and she's the only candidate brave enough to say it and risk ridicule from the so called "intellectual left"

See this is a level of trolling I can respect.

How are u posted:

Thanks for this, phenomenal idea.

Proceeds will be donated to pay for a coder to add CC to private messages.

^ the anime foreign policy solution.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think we need Biden to hold the blue wall, the national polls showing some of the dem nominees leading Trump head-to-head don’t mean anything due to the %$*! Electoral College. Biden is the only one leading the racist-in-chief in WI, MI and PA. That could change of course. His performance in the first debate was awful, he needs to come out strong in the second debate, else it may be the end of his run (which would make most of the people on here happy LOL … I fully get that). IMHO Warren would make the best president due to her policies and stance as a reformer, Harris is clearly the smartest person in the room … or at least the most articulate and the best debater. I’m trying to prepare myself for that monster to win another term and not to not scream in agony for 15 minutes like I did in November 2016, but I hope the 2018 midterms results are a good omen. Despite the electoral college and voter suppression, the dems COULD win … if the base comes out REGARDLESS of who the candidate is. But for now … a vigorous (but not destructive) debate on who we support and why should ensue. Sorry if TL;DR … everyone have a great day!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean it in the sense that I rarely see the folks who flip their poo poo over Williamson react similarly to other candidates.

E: as an example, Liz's horrendous I/P poo poo has been brought up fairly often and it never earns more than a shrug from the folks who weren't already side-eyeing her, but lord do folks get real mad about Williamson and occassionally Gravel.

I'd say there's two reasons for that.

First of all, different people have different opinions, different things that they get mad about, and different things they're willing to ignore from their favored candidate. People are going to disagree on things in this thread, and that's fine. Sometimes these disagreements are going to be on matters of opinion, not on matters of fact.

Second of all, the bad things about politicians like Harris and Warren are things that are shared by the vast majority of the political field, so there's not very much to say. The question isn't "are these positions good or bad", because everyone loving knows they're bad - the question is "does this politician break from the political consensus of badness in a meaningful way", which rarely requires a detailed discussion of the issue. Williamson and Yang are attracting people and memes because of their willingness to break the mold and have positions shared by no one else, which means that while they can be good by breaking from mainstream bad positions, they can also end up taking bad positions that were previously so out of the mainstream that they weren't even worth complaining about.

There's also the matter of emphasis. There's plenty of other politicians who are weak on vaccines, but they haven't ever been loud about it the way she has. Just like how there were plenty of anti-immigration Republicans (and Democrats!) before Trump, but the level of emphasis he put on it and the way he talked about it changed the conversation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

I just want to clarify something here - I don’t think Williamson is a greater threat than Biden or Booker or so on. I just expect that if we’re going to call ourselves leftists that we shouldn’t tolerate this sort of garbage in our politics. Buttigieg had a terrible option as well, but folks don’t seem to remember me saying anything about that for some reason. I have a background in the biological sciences, so issues like public health and epidemiology are things I tend to follow. If you see me comment on future healthcare systems, I'm the one always going on about nationalizing drug research and development for the same reason. It's not that I don't give a poo poo about imperialism or Warren's rent plan, but that poo poo has already been dismantled by folks who have a much deeper knowledge than I do, so what is there for me to add?

There's also a massive difference between being too much of a coward to block non-medical vaccine exemptions and spreading anti-vaxx conspiracies, telling gay men to pray the AIDS away., telling women never to look to meds for postpartum depression all while making bank off of doing so.

That this feeling of “we should hold ourselves to a higher standard” get dishonestly conflated with liberalism is really something. Especially since anyone (including myself) who is supporting Sanders is doing so because we need something bigger and better than “10% rent”.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 18, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

Every post saying that woo woo lady is a bigger threat to public health than candidates who are pro bombing the third would is saying this.
Bombing developing countries will definitely kill fewer Americans than antivaxx, so it's not a problem for most Democrats.

hip hip hooray for bernie "voted yes on the 9/11 AUMF so GWB could murder a million civilians" Sanders, the best candidate
This is unfortunately the case, yes.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully Bernie will pick Williamson as VP, since she can heal the soul of America while he heals the body of America with Medicare 4 All

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ruminahui posted:

Hopefully Bernie will pick Williamson as VP, since she can heal the soul of America while he heals the body of America with Medicare 4 All

She doesn't need to be VP to realign the chakras of the zeitgeist.

In fact, some would say it puts her at a disadvantage.

Bernie should create a new cabinet position to head the new Department of Crystals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

First of all, different people have different opinions, different things that they get mad about, and different things they're willing to ignore from their favored candidate.

There should be limits to this, because in practice people are going to end up caring about the things our society and media encourage them to care about (and ignore the ones that aren't discussed often). It's okay to say "you're wrong for ignoring this issue or prioritizing this other issue above it."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Has Bernie ever said anything about his vote on the 9/11 AUMF?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TrixR4kids posted:

There are reasons to go to college other than getting a job afterward and I honestly don’t see how else you solve that problem. I can’t imagine it’d be legal to force employers to drop the college degree requirement for instance.

Federal Jobs Guarantee

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

Has Bernie ever said anything about his vote on the 9/11 AUMF?

He did at the time. He said that, since Bush already had authority legally to do it, the AUMF was just a symbolic vote and that he voted for it because

quote:

I believe that the use of force is one tool that we have at our disposal to fight against the horror of terrorism and mass murder. One
tool but it is not our only tool, and it is something that must be used wisely . . . and with great discretion.

I believe that we must work with other nations to root out, capture and eliminate the terrorists who have caused such terrible suffering in
our country and elsewhere. But we must also understand that widespread and indiscriminate force could lead to more violence and more anti-
Americanism.

Mr. Speaker, the people of the developing world must know that we do not hate them, but only the terrorists who hide in their midsts and
control their lives. By word and deed, we must show those people that we are on their side, rather than the terrorists who exploit them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

Bernie should create a new cabinet position to head the new Department of Crystals.

Is this thread doing enough to help Marianne Williamson charge our nation's crystals?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
"Williamson isnt a real candidate"

"My choice? Gravel, obviously"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is this thread doing enough to help Marianne Williamson charge our nation's crystals?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Lightning Knight posted:

Being disinterested in Williamson because she is not a real candidate, but picking your second choice of Gravel, the 89 year old who didn't even manage to qualify for a 20 person debate, seems pretty strange. Like I'm not here to say Gravel is bad, but on the spectrum of real candidates, I don't see any sort of justification that's he's more real than Williamson.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

Being disinterested in Williamson because she is not a real candidate, but picking your second choice of Gravel, the 89 year old who didn't even manage to qualify for a 20 person debate, seems pretty strange. Like I'm not here to say Gravel is bad, but on the spectrum of real candidates, I don't see any sort of justification that's he's more real than Williamson.

He's actually been elected to office before and as a result of his long service has extensively detailed policy positions on a host of issues.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

He's actually been elected to office before and as a result of his long service has extensively detailed policy positions on a host of issues.
Again, I'm not here to say Gravel is bad, he is, in fact, good. But, today, in the year two thousand and nineteen, he's also a retired 89 year old who didn't even manage to sneak into the top 20 candidates for this primary, so I'd like to hear an explanation on how he is more of a real candidate than Williamson, who did actually manage to sneak into the top 20 candidates of this primary. Like if the argument here is "Williamson is a joke candidate who is drastically out performing the very real candidacy of Gravel" that seems like not a great argument in favor of Gravel.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 18, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

She doesn't need to be VP to realign the chakras of the zeitgeist.

In fact, some would say it puts her at a disadvantage.

If she wants more pylons, she just has to click on a probe...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crystals are the distractor that keeps you from understanding the fundamental universal truths of auras.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epicurius posted:

He did at the time. He said that, since Bush already had authority legally to do it, the AUMF was just a symbolic vote and that he voted for it because

we must use the power to wage war with great discretion, which is why i'm authorizing george w bush to create an oversightless tech panopticon to reach into every corner of every life on the planet to enable PNAC ghouls to kill or torture or blackbag any person anywhere and at any time for longer than any of us will live

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

confession time, my shift to Marianne has been helped by having a very woo-y lefty friend who's deeply unironically campaigning for her and I have made her promise me she'll bring up subsidizing our nation's crystal resources if she gets some genuine face time. So now I need her to do well enough in Texas to visit and get my plank brought up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Bombing developing countries will definitely kill fewer Americans than antivaxx, so it's not a problem for most Democrats.

Third time mentioning this. I guess 61,000 cases of measles in the DRC, 140,000 in Madagascar, 20,000 in Nigeria, 44,000 in Ukraine and 31,000 int he Philippines are just nothing then. Bombs explode once, diseases self-replicate. I can't believe I have to explain this to people but this is where we're at.

And I keep pushing for someone to at least acknowledge the existence of Jay Inslee if we're going to discuss poorly polling candidates because climate change is killing people right loving now and will make our wars pale in comparison, but I guess he smiles weird and is from Washington State so no one talks about him. But hey, gently caress the global south, right?

EDIT:

Marxalot posted:

A few hundred people catching measles because of rich dumbass yuppies sucks and 90% of this thread would be willing to send those parents to jail for it, but there's just this tiny rear end thing. Irrelevant really, considering most of the people involved aren't American or white (and good luck getting bougie PNW weirdos to care about that).

American foreign policy kills, literally, millions.

No poo poo. But as I've posted previously and above, we're talking about hundreds of thousands around the world, and that's just measles.

quote:

Whether it's directly (Iraq, Iraq II, Vietnam, Yemen),indirectly in the form of every country we've starved to death and deprived of basic medicine via sanctions, or every country we routinely exploit/depose/coup/generally keep ground into dust so that we can make them work in toxic waste dumps for pennies on the dollar. Our government, and by extension we, are responsible for the deaths of millions.

Wait, starved to death? Lacking basic medications? Destroying and preventing the development of modern infrastructure? Holy poo poo, it sounds like you're talking about public health! Like, I've previously brought up this exact point twice in this thread and yet folks keep ignoring that and pretending I only give a poo poo about the United States.

quote:

e: or that our healthcare system puts tens (hundreds?) of thousands a year into early graves lmao

Which is why I'm supporting Sanders and why no one who honestly supports Sanders should even joke about supporting Williamson.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 18, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Third time mentioning this. I guess 61,000 cases of measles in the DRC, 140,000 in Madagascar, 20,000 in Nigeria, 44,000 in Ukraine and 31,000 int he Philippines are just nothing then. Bombs explode once, diseases self-replicate. I can't believe I have to explain this to people but this is where we're at.
It's not that they are nothing, it's that those numbers are much smaller than the number of people directly killed by American imperialism. (Also the President has a ton more power concerning "Do we drop bombs on people?" versus "Do people contract measles in Madagascar?")

quote:

And I keep pushing for someone to at least acknowledge the existence of Jay Inslee if we're going to discuss poorly polling candidates because climate change is killing people right loving now and will make our wars pale in comparison, but I guess he smiles weird and is from Washington State so no one talks about him. But hey, gently caress the global south, right?
Inslee is also good, but aren't you the person complaining about whataboutism when people point out that American imperialism is worse than Williamson's stance on vaccines?

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Williamson's America would be the true revenge for Trump

Smugly and condescendingly telling angry Trump supporters, "sounds like someone needs a yoga pose :smuggo:" in response to everything they say would be delicious

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Solkanar512 posted:

The US military is the leading global consumer of oil and producer of greenhouse gases

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Solkanar512 posted:

i guess its hard to be anti-imperialist when you're also arguing that we need to send the marines into central africa to vaccinate people

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The US military is the leading global consumer of oil and producer of greenhouse gases

Please stop equivocating bad poo poo. One terrible thing doesn't "balance out" another terrible thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

My position is, and has been from the beginning, that I think Marianne contributes much more to the primary and the discussion around it than some loser like Hickenlooper or de Blasio or Booker does and I welcome her being in the primary -- explicitly and entirely because we don't loving have enough anti-imperialist voices in the primary, almost every single one of these candidates are bloodthirsty warmongers.

This position is also why I donated $4.20 to Mike Gravel to try to get him onto the stage. I don't expect either Marianne or Gravel to go anywhere, but the more voices pushing back against the infinite expansion of the American empire, the better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

have you seen my baby posted:

Williamson's America would be the true revenge for Trump

Smugly and condescendingly telling angry Trump supporters, "sounds like someone needs a yoga pose :smuggo:" in response to everything they say would be delicious

there's a lot of theory around presidential elections being mostly reactionary cultural events more than anything, and for a while we've all thought the 'reaction' to Trump would be some boring Warren type regulator.

But what if we REALLY reacted to Trump and got our weird Xanax and wine aunt to run the country and tell the president of Iran to get his toxins purged if he wants to calm down

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twodot posted:

I don’t think I’d vote for Gravel in the primary but I donated a dollar to his campaign in the hopes he’d get onto the stage and accomplish something rhetorically given his history, which I think is materially better than Williamson. As I said, I don’t have a second choice after Bernie and I live in a solid red state now so I don’t really need to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

He's ignored because his dumb rear end couldn't even correctly beat his single issue drum when closing out the previous debate, instead opting for a dumb applause answer.