Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah poo poo, meant to say it's a manga. Read it years ago originally linked on here but for the life of me I can't remember the name, I just remember scans for it suddenly stopping and it just...disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Status report: Mononoke was an incredibly good recommendation. It's perfect

Stylish, almost incomprehensibly weird storytelling, kinda horrifying even when you don't see anything, cool monsters AND mystery! I'm really liking this mixture of mystery, abstract stuff and occasional terror. That first story arc was nice. Also, I loving love that fakeout with the medicine seller's transformation, just BAM cut to next scene as soon as the sword comes out, hahahaha

Turns out I love weird shows, yay

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mononoke rules, I'm glad you're enjoying it! Kenji Nakamura has a bunch of good shows: Tsuritama, the two seasons of Gatchaman Crowds, and the unfortunately unlicensed Kuchu Buranko which is also my favorite of his.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Are there any chill isekai series? Like a dude gets transported to another world and instead of tryijng to be a big badass hero he just settles down to chill and open a business or something?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Torquemadras posted:

Status report: Mononoke was an incredibly good recommendation. It's perfect

Stylish, almost incomprehensibly weird storytelling, kinda horrifying even when you don't see anything, cool monsters AND mystery! I'm really liking this mixture of mystery, abstract stuff and occasional terror. That first story arc was nice. Also, I loving love that fakeout with the medicine seller's transformation, just BAM cut to next scene as soon as the sword comes out, hahahaha

Turns out I love weird shows, yay

There's also three more episodes that came out before the series in Ayakashi.
You'll probably have to :filez: it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are there any chill isekai series? Like a dude gets transported to another world and instead of tryijng to be a big badass hero he just settles down to chill and open a business or something?
you probably want to ask in The Good Isekai Thread, there's not a lot of animated chill out isekai, but boy howdy are there a lot of them in manga or LN form

edit: one I'm reading right now(the WN of it rather, despite the not great translation, after catching up on the current manga translations) is Moon-Led Journey Across Another World where the MC is rejected by the goddess who summons him for being "too ugly", literally thrown from the heavens to the wastelands at the edge of the world, and forbidden from speaking human dialect verbally but can speak fluently to any non-human races. So far it seems to have avoided many of the worse pitfalls of isekai(slavery, rampant misogyny) but it does have a small harem, all adults and relatively independent of the MC. Tomoe and Mio are basically Ryoko and Ayeka from Tenchi Muyo, if you've ever seen that. Still has the insanely overpowered MC part(like, in short order where I'm at in the WN, he's rivaling the goddess who summoned him in mana power) but also he just kinda wants to be a teacher and a merchant.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

OldTennisCourt posted:

We’re getting 2 next season. The Isekai with female MCs tend to be the chill ones, or are 90s classic shoujo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not a chill isekai but I 100% need to rewatch 12 Kingdoms after G1 season

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

sinky posted:

There's also three more episodes that came out before the series in Ayakashi.
You'll probably have to :filez: it

Well

Turns out I've been utterly, completely owned by my past self

Because I just discovered I had asked in this exact same thread, almost four years ago, for horror anime, had Mononoke recommended, watched it & loved it. Which is starting to dawn on me.

On the upside: I seem to have accomplished the legendary feat of enjoying a great show, forgetting almost completely about it, then enjoying it again until memory finally sets in. Guess I'll give Kuchu Buranko a spin, then! :v:

And while I'm at the topic of stuff I asked about 4 years ago: anybody got an opinion on the Monogatari series? I think I watched it until the movies (???) were supposed to come out. Last event I remember is snake girl turning into a god, then getting owned by the greatest character of the entire show and somethingsomething math girl. While I utterly loathed certain characters, I always thought the series was supremely stylish, and I particularly enjoyed the shenanigans of what seemed to be a recurring multi-arc villain (Google tells me it's Ougi). Without much of spoilers, are the movies/continued seasons worth it?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Torquemadras posted:

Well

Turns out I've been utterly, completely owned by my past self

Because I just discovered I had asked in this exact same thread, almost four years ago, for horror anime, had Mononoke recommended, watched it & loved it. Which is starting to dawn on me.

On the upside: I seem to have accomplished the legendary feat of enjoying a great show, forgetting almost completely about it, then enjoying it again until memory finally sets in. Guess I'll give Kuchu Buranko a spin, then! :v:

And while I'm at the topic of stuff I asked about 4 years ago: anybody got an opinion on the Monogatari series? I think I watched it until the movies (???) were supposed to come out. Last event I remember is snake girl turning into a god, then getting owned by the greatest character of the entire show and somethingsomething math girl. While I utterly loathed certain characters, I always thought the series was supremely stylish, and I particularly enjoyed the shenanigans of what seemed to be a recurring multi-arc villain (Google tells me it's Ougi). Without much of spoilers, are the movies/continued seasons worth it?

Yes

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Torquemadras posted:

Yes.

As a whole it's a series where the main character is absolutely the worst character (IMO), but the supporting cast, artistic flair, directorial style, writing, and plot almost entirely eclipse the negatives. If it weren't for the "why the gently caress are you including this?!" sexualization of child-appearing characters, I would totally give Monogarari a 10/10. Even with the regrettable filth, it's still a 8.5/10 in my book and well worth watching unless those gross parts make it a hard no for you. The movies are really well made!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can't help but think the terrible main character and sexualization are the point and any quality is purely accidental, due to the author apparently not noticing that the series immediately improves from completely awful to actually pretty good when the MC isn't there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I remember watching and highly enjoying Monogatari, but it's been awhile; Was that the series where the aforementioned kinda terrible main character made a remark about how "Those kind of games (imouto eroge) are made for the kind of guy without younger sisters" and then inevitably ended up in extremely suspect situations with his own younger sister? :v:

Terrible Opinions posted:

I can't help but think the terrible main character and sexualization are the point and any quality is purely accidental, due to the author apparently not noticing that the series immediately improves from completely awful to actually pretty good when the MC isn't there.

I mean, it's entirely possible the author likes the sexy stuff and is still overall a good writer even if they don't handle it well.

Fate/Stay Night is an example of something that's generally been well received but kind of fails at any of it's attempts to be sexy.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

I think this is a half-fair take, and speaks volumes about how awesome SHAFT is at adapting stuff to anime in an impressive way. I have to give credit to Nisioisin for some really great witty dialogue though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think this is something the author is unaware of considering how much of the later material is actually characters taking Araragi to task for being a weirdo without much internal life beyond what he projects onto other people.

It's not like an epic subversion or anything, the series just actually does some work with him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
after koimonogatari you get hanamonogatari which is the best arc in the entire show so, yes it's worth continuing

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The movies loving rule so if you've made it to the end of the snake girl arc you owe it to yourself to see them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're already past Nisemono you might as well press on, that's the nadir and there's a good amount of good stuff that comes later.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 19, 2019

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Monogatari rules. Its cast of characters is a lot of fun to spend time with, and seeing them deal with their traumas and grow as human beings over the course of the series is powerful stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm looking for something in the vein of hero mask on netflix except not that since I've seen it. Got netflix/Amazon/crunchyroll accounts and haven't really followed anime in years aside from what's been on netflix

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Probably a month or two ago I was recommended Haikyu!! and I didn't really 'get' it.

Anyway I just picked it back up slowly and am into the third match of the inter-high preliminary tournament and let me tell ya I'm back on board with this. Solid pick, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose posted:

I'm looking for something in the vein of hero mask on netflix except not that since I've seen it. Got netflix/Amazon/crunchyroll accounts and haven't really followed anime in years aside from what's been on netflix

B the Beginning should suit you fine. It's also on Netflix. Sirius the Jaeger's worth a watch too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sirius the Jaeger is good and it's a crime that there won't be a season 2 of their host's daughter hunting down werewolves or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirius the Jaeger is good and it's a crime that there won't be a season 2 of their host's daughter hunting down werewolves or something.

I loved the ludicrously-campy Nosferatu-esque Vampire designs :allears:. Someone had a lot of fun with the villain designs for that show.

Also yeah, the host's daughter was badass. First time seeing a Vampire reveal itself right in front of her, and she just grabs some soldier's sword and cuts the motherfucker down :black101:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

B the Beginning should suit you fine. It's also on Netflix. Sirius the Jaeger's worth a watch too.

probably should have said i've seen both of those lol. does crunchyroll have a much higher amount of series in the US or is it just a bit poo poo? I tried the funimation trial on amazon uk and thats dire as well

anyway i started watching Ajin which might do for now even if the animation is a bit janky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose posted:

probably should have said i've seen both of those lol. does crunchyroll have a much higher amount of series in the US or is it just a bit poo poo? I tried the funimation trial on amazon uk and thats dire as well

anyway i started watching Ajin which might do for now even if the animation is a bit janky

Psycho-Pass is on Netflix now iirc, and is fantastic. Somewhat. Watch the first season, then ignore the second and skip right to the movie. The second's done by someone who wasn't the creator, clearly didn't understand the show, and the movie acts like it didn't exist anyway because they got the creator back to ensure that hot mess wasn't repeated.

Also if you've still got that Funimation trial go watch Star Blazers 2199. If you ever liked 70/80's sci-fi, you'll love the gently caress out of it even if you've never seen the original show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Counter point I just rewatched psycho pass and almost all the positive associations I had with akane’s character ended up being from the second season.

It’s also like 12 eps not the biggest investment in the world.

Crunchy in the United States has a poo poo load of anime, though they focus on currently airing as opposed to back catalog, so if you are looking for an encyclopedic collection you’ll be disappointed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The creator of psycho pass sucks and theres no big difference in quality between s1 and s2

Like s1 has a dude quoting high school lit like hes the deepest man in the world, its cornball as hell too. S2 goes in a different direction but i wouldnt say its better or worse

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My biggest problem with psycho pass when I first watched it the second season seemed like a retread of the first with subverting the sybel system. By the movie it was like “oh this is all you are interested in examining” and on rewatch I was less irritated with the direction it was focused on taking.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I just found season 2 was more mean than Season 1 for Psycho Pass but it's been awhile since I watched both so who knows if I'll feel that way for Season 1 now as well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

The creator of psycho pass sucks and theres no big difference in quality between s1 and s2

Like s1 has a dude quoting high school lit like hes the deepest man in the world, its cornball as hell too. S2 goes in a different direction but i wouldnt say its better or worse

Season 2 starts out inoffensive and has some interesting ideas with the antagonist like reverse-engineering how the Sybil System and technology actually operates with all those proxy experiments, but it just shits the bed past the halfway mark with the "I can tank anyone's score" :evil: vaguely-interesting Enforcer just going full Oedipus Complex Mama's-Boy along with the rest of the plot just tanking itself with bad writing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I just found season 2 was more mean than Season 1 for Psycho Pass but it's been awhile since I watched both so who knows if I'll feel that way for Season 1 now as well

The meanness I feel is someone aping urobochi's style but not quite nailing it. Also, I realized this at the back half recently, but some of the horror / gore elements, but also the psychology and obsession with 'turning' detectives, are right out of Hannibal (the show).

I watched Hannibal between my first and second viewing and as a whole season 2 hit with me much better than on first watch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the cornball tone of season 1 is exactly what makes it so good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I read Ookami Shounen and it was an extremely good romcom-drama that doesn't overstay its welcome (though I do wish that we got to see a bit more of those 3 doofuses in the future).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I read Ookami Shounen and it was an extremely good romcom-drama that doesn't overstay its welcome (though I do wish that we got to see a bit more of those 3 doofuses in the future).

That was cute! I'm very surprised that the MC didn't end with Tokujira since I feel like that almost never happens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It really does rarely happen, when I asked about other examples in another thread only like half a dozen examples came up.

And yeah its an extremely good series with great artwork and character design.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think this describes most isekai, to the point where I actually have trouble thinking of many where the protagonist actually becomes a badass hero.

Captain Invictus posted:

It really does rarely happen, when I asked about other examples in another thread only like half a dozen examples came up.

And yeah its an extremely good series with great artwork and character design.

I also like how the Other Girl is actually upset about how things turn out instead of the more typical outcome where the protagonist manages to avoid upsetting any of his potential love interests.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Gotta reiterate, "Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru" is one of those absolutely blessed arcs of manga. Has an actual arc that happens over a relitively short span of chapters, with an actual ending that actually felt was planned as a complete story from beginning to end. Will throughly recommend to anyone.

It's given me the impetus to move on to the anime Wandering Son. Yes I know that it's not the same type of story, but it was the portion with the sibling that I felt wasn't touched on enough that got me to actually start on Wandering Son.

Yeah, I mentioned it in the shounen thread as being probably the only genuinely good (without the need for qualifiers) shounen romance manga.

It is also quite possibly literally the only male-aimed manga (in the sense of being published in a magazine* with a primarily straight male audience) I've seen that includes topics related to gender expression in a way that isn't a comedic element or otherwise terrible. Pretty much all other manga I can think of that address similar topics are aimed specifically at women and/or LGBT audiences.

* actually from what I understand it was published on one of those web magazines

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 24, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Prunus Girl ran in a shonen mag though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lunar detritus posted:

That was cute! I'm very surprised that the MC didn't end with Tokujira since I feel like that almost never happens.

yeah huge bummer that Tokujira didn't end up with Botan, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Prunus Girl ran in a shonen mag though

Kyou kara Yonshimai ran in Comic Birz and Otome Danshi runs in the same mag (web mag?) as Tomo chan