Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It could be to get to production sooner. $1 backers, if there are a lot of them, can put a lot of uncertainty in just how many games you make. I can't imagine it makes much of a difference for a 6 figure+ campaign, but for smaller campaigns deciding between 1000, 1500, 3000, etc. units is a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Thought this looked interesting

The Asphodel Complex

Creepy horror dreamscape-wandering rpg, I really like the maps.

They have a PWYW preview on drivethru if you want to check it out first and see if it's for you.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 17, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Etherfields is doing that weird thing where each KS Update is making me less enthusiastic about the project instead of more.

I will leave it at a buck for now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Etherfields is doing that weird thing where each KS Update is making me less enthusiastic about the project instead of more.

What's that?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I think I am maybe just not that into "surreal experience" in games. It makes me think of TIME Stories (irrationally), but with dreams and elaborate minis. I backed it, but if this keeps up, I'm out.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

homullus posted:

I think I am maybe just not that into "surreal experience" in games. It makes me think of TIME Stories (irrationally), but with dreams and elaborate minis. I backed it, but if this keeps up, I'm out.

Well, TIME Stories absolutely did not live up to expectations, and I would be shocked if this game did so it's not that irrational

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Artipia Games launched what looks to be a hospital-themed version of Kitchen Rush called Rush M.D. Hopefully the timers and other components are of better quality this time around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

What's that?
Look upthread :)

It's made like 2 million already because the designer is respected, and the minis look baller. People looking at the gameplay vids have had mixed reactions.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Look upthread :)

No, I know what the game is, I posted a bunch about it, I was asking what in particular about the kickstarter updates was making you less and less enthused about it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

No, I know what the game is, I posted a bunch about it, I was asking what in particular about the kickstarter updates was making you less and less enthused about it.
Oh! The general vibe of it is putting me off, more and more with each update. It's starting to read like one of those "unlock your psychic potential now!" self-help courses.

I am probably not being fair, but stuff like this can lose me, quick.

"Etherfields is not your usual Board Game - we will trying to achieve much deeper experience that will go beyond just gameplay and we want to create a really unforgettable narrative."

And all the stuff about - say - the Harpy being directly inspired by Freud and whatnot.

It's just not what I'm in this for.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That stuff was also in the KS and admittedly put me off. Like I had said previously, just sorta sounded weird for weird sake, but not necessarily mechanically interesting. Or even weird in an interesting way, like, say, Ice Pick Lodge.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

And all the stuff about - say - the Harpy being directly inspired by Freud and whatnot.

It made me sad that Harpy won instead of Sphinx, which looked much cooler.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I imagine sphinx will show up in some form, they already put hours towards designing it and I can't imagine they'd just waste that entirely

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Jordan Draper is bringing Import/Export back to kickstarter for a Definitive Edtion. Here's what we know so far:

https://twitter.com/TheJordanDraper/status/1150811976156585984

https://twitter.com/TheJordanDraper/status/1151227163661651969

https://twitter.com/TheJordanDraper/status/1151532994391265281

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine sphinx will show up in some form, they already put hours towards designing it and I can't imagine they'd just waste that entirely

Awaken Realms is like exhibit A for "stretch goals aren't real" so I wouldn't worry about it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

OgreNoah posted:

It made me sad that Harpy won instead of Sphinx, which looked much cooler.

Same. I think they said it'd become an optional add-on, though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I want this

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've never even played Import/Export and I'm in based on goon opinion alone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Want to receive: black, blue, or green box

Will receive: red or yellow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The obvious answer is to buy multiple copies so you get more random color draws.

Also it seems like it will be on Kickstarter within a week?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 17, 2019

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

they all look good imo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

The obvious answer is to buy multiple copies so you get more random color draws.

Also it seems like it will be on Kickstarter within a week?

Per something Jordan said on BGG earlier, he's aiming for before the end of the month, but wants to make sure everything is 100% ready to go before pulling the trigger. Despite making a half dozen projects now, I think he's still mostly a one man operation on the KS side of things.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

they all look good imo

From that image the black box looks orders of magnitude better, followed by blue and green. Red doesn’t look good and yellow is terrible.

Let me pledge $5 more to choose my color. Donate it to charity or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

From that image the black box looks orders of magnitude better, followed by blue and green. Red doesn’t look good and yellow is terrible.

Let me pledge $5 more to choose my color. Donate it to charity or something.

Tweet that at him; he's pretty receptive to feedback

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Red looks perfect and I’ll be happy to exchange copies with anyone who backs and doesn’t like their red box (provided I don’t get a red one myself).

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Merauder posted:

Red looks perfect and I’ll be happy to exchange copies with anyone who backs and doesn’t like their red box (provided I don’t get a red one myself).

I also have a soft spot for the red box because most of the crates in my neighborhood are that color

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So uh, what kind of game is Import/Export? I recall some buzz about it in the boardgame thread, but I dunno if the lack of continued discussion means that it lacked longevity or if it was just widely unavailable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, what kind of game is Import/Export? I recall some buzz about it in the boardgame thread, but I dunno if the lack of continued discussion means that it lacked longevity or if it was just widely unavailable.

Are you familiar with Glory to Rome? It owes a lot of design lineage to that. Every card can be used in one of a bunch of different ways; you can use it as a shipping contract, you can use it as a container to fulfill a contract, you can use cards just as an action to bid on full ships, steal stuff off ships at sea, etc. Player interaction happens as whenever someone wants to import goods from ships at sea, everyone else can follow that action and there's a closed fist auction on who gets the goods.

Every card has a special power on it that you get access to by way of fulfilling the card as a contract. So as the game goes on, player get unique powers that other players won't have. There's also a low key tech-tree type aspect, as you can't contract certain cards unless until you've fulfilled enough contracts of that color.

The definitive edition also is adding a player driven economy where you get more or less money for fulfilling contracts as different colored contracts are put in play.

And yeah, I think availability was a bit of an issue. Jordan does direct sales off his website, and at least a handful of copies were sold via Amazon; that's where I ended up with mine...but I don't think they entered wide FLGS distribution.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137AjvoPmO4 There's a rahdo gameplay runthrough

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 18, 2019

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

cyberia posted:

Same. I think they said it'd become an optional add-on, though.

Yeah, the vote was just which one would be free and which would be paid (to backers - I assume both will be sold separately if it ever goes to retail). And I'm guessing there's at least one to two more similar votes coming.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

jivjov posted:

Are you familiar with Glory to Rome? It owes a lot of design lineage to that. Every card can be used in one of a bunch of different ways; you can use it as a shipping contract, you can use it as a container to fulfill a contract, you can use cards just as an action to bid on full ships, steal stuff off ships at sea, etc. Player interaction happens as whenever someone wants to import goods from ships at sea, everyone else can follow that action and there's a closed fist auction on who gets the goods.

Every card has a special power on it that you get access to by way of fulfilling the card as a contract. So as the game goes on, player get unique powers that other players won't have. There's also a low key tech-tree type aspect, as you can't contract certain cards unless until you've fulfilled enough contracts of that color.

The definitive edition also is adding a player driven economy where you get more or less money for fulfilling contracts as different colored contracts are put in play.

And yeah, I think availability was a bit of an issue. Jordan does direct sales off his website, and at least a handful of copies were sold via Amazon; that's where I ended up with mine...but I don't think they entered wide FLGS distribution.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137AjvoPmO4 There's a rahdo gameplay runthrough

I got mine of Jordan directly at the Tokyo game market. I haven't seen any other copies in the wild.

The big problem with the game is that it's a Lead/Follow game so it's AP Central.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Hey, tg goons,

Some friends of mine are trying to crowdfund MagneHex, which is their passion project to develop a hex-based customizable terrain system. I'm posting it here because I think it would be of interest to anyone looking to spruce up their tabletop gaming.

MagneHex works well with games like Battletech, but also brings an added dimension to D&D and tabletop RPG campaigns.

The Kickstarter is live right now! 27 days left! (Closes on Thu, August 15, 2019)

quote:

What is MagneHex?

MagneHex is 3-dimensional tabletop terrain system, built using magnetically interlocking hexes. The hexes are available in a variety of topographies and color palettes, allowing you to assemble terrain for any wargame or RPG setting. It's highly modular, flexible, sturdy, portable, and perfectly reusable.

MagneHex is NOT a digital file that you print, clean up, and paint yourself; it's a finished gaming product, delivered ready-to-assemble and play. Create any environment you like, mimic any climate you like, and do so anywhere you like: in the family game room, at the local game shop, at tournaments and conventions, or on the kitchen table.

Anyway, if this is of interest, any support for them is appreciated!

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Hey everyone,

I am just letting people know about a Kickstarter for a graphic novel tied into setting that was kickstarted called Swordsfall.

Swordsfall is a system agnostic Afro-futuristic setting with the original concept by Brandon Dixon.

The graphic novel and Kickstarter itself will effect one of the meta-plots in the setting, specifically the Tapestry, the realm of dreams, as it is the battle ground between factions who support either the Withering King Xavian and the Goddess of Creation Ishvana.

Depending on how you pledge, it can effect the final victor and the final cover for the graphic novel.

Brandon is a pretty solid dude and is good for the community as a whole, so I am trying to get word out about his projects.

You can find more information on the Kickstarter here and more about Swordsfall as a whole here.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I got mine of Jordan directly at the Tokyo game market. I haven't seen any other copies in the wild.

The big problem with the game is that it's a Lead/Follow game so it's AP Central.
I'm trying to avoid throwing money at Kickstarter for a while, but for around $60 I could definitely be convinced! The game looks really cool.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I/E graphic design alone makes me interested. So clean.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Whew. Dice Throne Adventures added unpainted minis.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lmao: https://twitter.com/CMONGames/status/1151923894011551749

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m kinda the curmudgeon who doesn’t like required app integration because of the possibility of the apps no longer being supported years from release. I much prefer completely analog board games with minor optional app integration (music/timers/campaign tracking).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Electronics in the pieces, electronics in the dice, electronics in the board, there are SO many things that can break there. What happens when somebody bumps the table?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just figure I'd plug a project I think is cool if you like solo/co-op games (with a 2-player competitive option):

To the Death!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/877511135/to-the-death-a-tactical-skirmish-game-for-1-2-players

Only $20 with free shipping if you want the base game which comes with a ton of characters and enemies, but if you pledge $50, you can get a custom character and receive all of the other custom characters (probably going to be over 100, spread across new heroes/enemies/bosses). You can also add more characters for $5 each. This guy's last game, Puzzle Dungeon, had like 200+ unique heroes to play.

I pledged for 4 custom heroes to have a team from the cartoon Regular Show included (Mordecai, Rigby, Benson, and Skips).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That CMON announcement is shades of Golem Arcana... which looks like it had its mobile apps discontinued sometime in the last few years. Whoops.