Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weren't the manspreading pics like 90% exhausted tradies on nearly empty trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
look it's not my fault I have huge nuts ok

it's a medical condition and it makes sitting comfortably difficult

if I could just take em off and leave em at home I would

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because I am such a great ally a weak impressionable soyboy, when this whole hullabaloo about manspreading started, I began to deliberately look for signs of it, and pay a lot of attention to how I sit myself. After some time I noticed that the moment someone wants to sit next to a 'manspreading' guy, the dude just closes his legs. Sometimes, you have to ask him to do that, if he's not paying attention to his surroundings. And I've seen a lot more cases of men just straight up giving their sit to a woman on a crowded bus/train. But I don't live in America, maybe the situation is drastically different there. I'm still very anal about how I sit, though. You won't see me manspreading, ladies, unless we're talking about spreading feminist ideas among men (PM me, if you're single).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot about all the worst parts of the internet makes sense when you realise White Feminism is the only kind of feminism they've ever known.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yep. when manspreading pics were a regular subject on Gothamist, every single one involved a man doing so with nobody around him

Paladinus posted:

But I don't live in America, maybe the situation is drastically different there.
nope. the bigger problem on the NYC subway is people not giving up their seats for obviously pregnant women, but just like "man"spreading, that's a problem among commuters in general and not confined to one gender. when one of my friends was pregnant, she swore that women gave her more judgmental looks on buses and trains than men

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about all the worst parts of the internet makes sense when you realise White Feminism is the only kind of feminism they've ever known.
you can understand the motivations behind some of the internet's worst take makers when you realize that their idea of equality is not to lift up the oppressed, but to bring down the oppressors to their own level. they're driven by spite just as much as the right is

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Jul 18, 2019

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the obvious solution to manspreading is building a shitload of trains and train stations so everyone has plenty of room, also make the trains copies of south koreas high speed rail

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Because I am such a great ally a weak impressionable soyboy, when this whole hullabaloo about manspreading started, I began to deliberately look for signs of it, and pay a lot of attention to how I sit myself. After some time I noticed that the moment someone wants to sit next to a 'manspreading' guy, the dude just closes his legs. Sometimes, you have to ask him to do that, if he's not paying attention to his surroundings. And I've seen a lot more cases of men just straight up giving their sit to a woman on a crowded bus/train.

ive seen far more women take up space by giving their bag its own seat than ive ever seen manspreading and much like manspreading its a problem that magically disappears once the subway gets crowded

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I manspread on my own in my own home so I guess I never understood why I was supposed to see it as some nasty aggression and not an unthinking, careless act in public transportation.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

I manspread on my own in my own home so I guess I never understood why I was supposed to see it as some nasty aggression and not an unthinking, careless act in public transportation.
a white woman living in a coastal elite city and a regular column at a thinkpiece website is a terrible combination

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When do these rich white women even use public transit for this to be an issue?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tetracube posted:

When do these rich white women even use public transit for this to be an issue?
when they live in NYC and DC, and sometimes the Bay Area

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were also mostly black for some reason.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

idk I've seen plenty of manspreaders on DC and Boston subways that give no fucks about people around them, and they can be super creepy in that they'd rather press themselves into other people rather than take up less space

it's like a personal space arms race: manspreaders and people who really don't want to deal with anyone else

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ace of Baes posted:

the obvious solution to manspreading is building a shitload of trains and train stations so everyone has plenty of room, also make the trains copies of south koreas high speed rail

Sir that is Bolshevism and I will not tolerate such talk in my america

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

idk I've seen plenty of manspreaders on DC and Boston subways that give no fucks about people around them, and they can be super creepy in that they'd rather press themselves into other people rather than take up less space

it's like a personal space arms race: manspreaders and people who really don't want to deal with anyone else

Yeah I get that in London where guys will have no problem spreading their legs into me but then I'll just start shaking my leg like I'm nervous/manic and they move their leg away

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I keep my legs tightly coiled around each other but stretched out at full length into the aisle

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm.... no.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYCCOIB/status/1152304275877502976

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

this is transcendent brandposting

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife just got this in the mail

Should I call the cops

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

My wife just got this in the mail

Should I call the cops

Dafuq

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you've been pozzed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've said it before but it really seems like a certain strain of woke article writing is really just a more verbose rich people version of NORMIES REEEEE

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

I'd love to meet someone that cared enough about manspreading to make fighting the concept a part of their career.

I'd posit "You have nothing to worry about when I'm aboard! Thanks to the garbage infrastructure you could have spent your social media influencer energy on improving, riding transit is such a novelty in my life I prefer to just stand and have fun with it".

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

manspreading is by and large a troll concept, talkng about it annoys the people who deserve to get angered about bullshit.

precisely how constructive that is may be debatable, but it was a funny moment in time when it entered popular parlance.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

life expectancy of nearby palestinian children going downs

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mashing my balls into paste in solidarity with the bourgeois feminists.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

life expectancy of nearby palestinian children going downs

lmao

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Here's a pretty good analysis of Disney's woke branding and the effect of late stage capitalism on creativity in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lSoHNmMTA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/INT_BAE/status/1155139003164876800?s=19

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you think about it a sailing boat is insanely ecological. this is why we must subsidize yacht racing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can we take ovee the superyachts and turn them into ocean communes

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

mutiny on the hms stolen bounty

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Here's a pretty good analysis of Disney's woke branding and the effect of late stage capitalism on creativity in general.

i did not see the new mary poppins and winnie the pooh movies and i was legit surprised to learn that the lead characters dont even solve their own problems that straight up good millionaires just do it for them what an utterly bizarre concept why would anyone believe in good millionaires let alone make them their stories version of dumbledore

lets also take a moment to appreciate that of all the unreleased movies to put on their top 10 of 2018 list that came out in early december the afi decided that the loving mary poppins remake was the one that would make them look like geniuses for appreciating its brilliance before normal people had a chance to actually watch it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

this wasn't Disney, but i completely mean it when i say that Ghostbusters 2016 was the defining movie of the decade. not because it was any good, heavens no, but it was the first major release to successfully pull off a massive woke marketing campaign that has been used numerous times since and has a 100% success rate so far. this was promoted by both the people involved, especially Paul Feig, and the critics who are more willing to carry water for major studios these days than they are to actually do film criticism

before anyone says that it wasn't successful at all and was a box office flop, i have bad news: even in the world of Hollywood accounting, Ghostbusters 2016 somehow managed to make a profit. it wouldn't have happened without the marketing thrust of "watch this movie to spite the Trump supporters." sure, Wonder Woman and Black Panther did it better, but they have the ladies of Ghostbusters to thank

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

get that OUT of my face posted:

a massive woke marketing campaign that has been used numerous times since and has a 100% success rate so far.

*sad trombone plays*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are still no concrete data that show how effective woke marketing is compared to regular marketing. Sure, people are abuzz on twitter for a while, and that's always worth something, but how well that translates to sales is unclear. It probably doesn't do any harm, because the vast majority of people don't care either way. The aim, however, is to mobilise people otherwise not interested/have low interest in the product.

Ghostbusters 2016, though, failed because from the trailer it was painfully obvious the movie wasn't going to be anything like the original. People watch Star Wars, comic book movies, and terrible Disney live action remakes regardless of culture wars, because those movies mostly stay on brand, even if superficially so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

General Dog posted:

*sad trombone plays*

Just imagine if they keep losing money at that rate they will *pushes all kinds of buttons on Excel* eventually have all the money in the world