Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

He said in an interview he is fully qualified for the position because he lived in the US for a while, and worked there flipping burgers

He literally said that

edit: but Im totally expecting they will back out of this by the end of the day and proceed to accuse the press of 'fake news'

Lmao it was on a Popeye's and they don't have burgers there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
hope he washed his hands

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/bruceecurb/status/1151197621836533760

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
they look so proud of it

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Environmental Minister recently visited loggers who are stripping indigenous protected lands and threatening the employees of the same ministry who want to stop them and said they are "true brazilian workers"

https://twitter.com/tdbem/status/1151884874535641088?s=20

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's incredible, you can't make this poo poo up

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I like some Baile Funk music. I told people that on NeoGaf a few years ago and they all told me I was wrong and dumb, and that it was the worst music in the world.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I like some Baile Funk music. I told people that on NeoGaf a few years ago and they all told me I was wrong and dumb, and that it was the worst music in the world.

lol posers, how can anyone hate on claudinho e buchecha, it's fun music to dance to

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seems GAF is right on something for once

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Veja is reporting that an "ecoterrorist" organization called SSS (Sociedade Secreta Silvestre, something like "Forest Secret Society") is planning to kill Bolsonaro

https://veja.abril.com.br/brasil/bolsonaro-terror-capa-veja/

The group is supposed to be part of an international group called "Individualistas que Tendem ao Selvagem", based in Mexico

I never hear of any of that before, and it all seems strange, and smells like the plot of a B movie. This is making me feel wary, that this is going to be the pretext for a new AI5

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Veja is reporting that an "ecoterrorist" organization called SSS (Sociedade Secreta Silvestre, something like "Forest Secret Society") is planning to kill Bolsonaro

https://veja.abril.com.br/brasil/bolsonaro-terror-capa-veja/

The group is supposed to be part of an international group called "Individualistas que Tendem ao Selvagem", based in Mexico

I never hear of any of that before, and it all seems strange, and smells like the plot of a B movie. This is making me feel wary, that this is going to be the pretext for a new AI5

This is so absurdly dumb, of course everyone is going to buy it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sephyr posted:

This is so absurdly dumb, of course everyone is going to buy it.

it didn't became a thing yet, which would be kind of a suspicious sign if it wasn't so obvious at this point that the bolsonaros are directly dictating the social media reactions of chuds (like take the recent reaction supporting bolsonaro's son as US ambassador). for whatever reason the online bolsonaros didn't act on this yet, even if it fits the right-wing meme narrative so well.

what I'm trying to say is: there's no organic element on how pro-bolsonaro bullshit is spreading out, it's all coming from a very centralized effort.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Symbolic Butt posted:

it didn't became a thing yet, which would be kind of a suspicious sign if it wasn't so obvious at this point that the bolsonaros are directly dictating the social media reactions of chuds (like take the recent reaction supporting bolsonaro's son as US ambassador). for whatever reason the online bolsonaros didn't act on this yet, even if it fits the right-wing meme narrative so well.

what I'm trying to say is: there's no organic element on how pro-bolsonaro bullshit is spreading out, it's all coming from a very centralized effort.

Yep. Like half of the tweets supporting Bolsonaro retarded son as ambassador came from only 10 accounts

https://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/ancelmo/post/metade-de-todos-os-tuites-de-eduardoembaixadorsim-vieram-de-so-10-pessoas.html

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1152971480302542848

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

This serving both buries the whole "It's all made up, fake content!" spiel, because it includes contacts with media and other parts that are easy to verify, and is WAY more overtly partisan than the others. As in, literally scheming on how to appear on TV shows to slag opposition while avoiding having to talk about the Boss' failson crimes (Answer: skip the interview), while gauging how to secure a supreme court nomination for their outfit by burying inconvenient poo poo

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This is deep - banksy

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Oct 8, 2021

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
btw nobody cared about these terrorists from Veja threatening to kill the president. because the priority for some time now is to keep propping up the idea of putting Glenn Greenwald in prison.

I seriously think it's 50/50 that it'll work.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

have there been any more of Greenwald's Moro articles printed into english than the first three parts?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

they arrested four people for "hacking moro's phone"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

they arrested four people for "hacking moro's phone"

One's a DJ (because of loving course), one if a rifle-toting Bolso goon, one is a Dem party affiliate...quite the collection of elite commie cyber-warriors.

It's going to be a coin flip for this lot . Either they'll offer them a sweet deal for 'confessing' to doingit all to sink the righteous new regime for their leftist overloards, or they'll crackdown on them with some terrorism charge to double down on the institutional takeover.

Either way, the minions are happy for the week.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1154508295501012992

Moro is deleting all material apprehended in the raid. Not suspicious at all, no siree, deleting evidence is vital for, uh, clearing HD space?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1154566652727627776

i'm gonna have a heated gamer moment with him on voice chat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
congrats on your gamer president brazil

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I assume Bolsonaro is a GamerGater?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1154432279386710016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

and here i was thinking that Bolso would be so incompetent the military would have to step in to impose dictatorship. seems like he's found his footing

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

playing VR....?

not a true gamer

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://politica.estadao.com.br/noticias/geral,sergio-moro-edita-portaria-para-deportar-pessoas-perigosas,70002940276

Moro just edited the law to be able to deport people deemed dangerous to the country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Portaria 666 is really loving on the nose.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
brazil loves to name laws after people so they should just loving go ahead and name it the one person this law is meant for

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

That, AND basically admitted to both planning to destroy investigation evidence and getting access to data that should be available only to the presiding case officer. And sharing it with his chosen people.

I mean, I knew this clown would loving self-destruct the moment he left his little sinecure, but I didn't dare think it'd be this fast or this overt. Still don't think it'll amount to much because, as we've talked, the establishment at large can watch rivers of blood flood their fancy homes waist-deep and as long as you tell them that -some- of it is leftist blood they'll still be cool with it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1154744889567039491
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1154849255825297408

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is it fair to say that Brazil is a dictatorship now?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
A dictatorship concentrates executive power in a single strong leader. Brazil just has a bunch of muppets bumbling around trying to get the minimum done and cover their own arse. The longer Bolsonaro is in power the weaker he looks.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hoiyes posted:

A dictatorship concentrates executive power in a single strong leader. Brazil just has a bunch of muppets bumbling around trying to get the minimum done and cover their own arse. The longer Bolsonaro is in power the weaker he looks.

This is not really the case. Muppets or not, they did in 6 months what our oh-so-serious media accudes th labour government of doing the last 13 years: completely infected every power with their nepotist, ideological peers, disarmed or destroyed any institution that balked or that they didn't like, and openly jeered at any thought of propriety, decorum or limits to their agenda.

The violence so far has been mostly in threats or rethoric, yes, but mostly because 1- they are already getting 90% of what they wanted, so of course they aren't happy because they never are, but there's no need to burn it all down just yet, and 2- Thy are already backed by and turning up the background, invisible violence that has been a staple of Brazil since ever with no one who matters really giving a gently caress. Native people being killed and beaten, activists 'disappearing', NGO and even government fiscalization officers being villified, threatened and beaten.

You can be an incompetent dope out of a bad comedy and still be a dictator, even an an efective one, when the institutions are too poo poo to stop you. Just ask Salazar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
not sure about the definition of dictatorship but greenwald getting deported or arrested is definitely gonna be a significant step towards authoritarianism.

the bolsonaros have been step by step getting a lot of people "comfortable" with the idea of bringing justice to greenwald for daring to sully the name of our hero judge moro. if they succeed on it (and let's be honest here, the worst actors in right-wing politics have been succeeding for years now from dilma's impeachment to lula's arrest) they'll just get more and more momentum to push further poo poo.

tl;dr: it's pretty bad now and this is a sign things are about to get way worse