Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I wonder about what all the industries that die with the boomers is going to be. Stamp collecting, HAM radio, Harleys, and so on. What's the full list gonna end up being?

pretty much anything on QVC or HSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

JoelJoel posted:

How bout fascism? Or are we doomed to repeat it every time society goes through some fundamental change while also dealing with migrant populations?

Fascism is capitalism in decay. It's not due to a migrant crisis (1920s Italy hardly had a migrant crisis), the current migrant crisis is merely a trigger.

But yes, as long as we have capitalism, we are doomed to keep sliding into fascism.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

These loving things:

They're like funko pops for lonely shithead boomers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ChipNDip posted:

Fascism is capitalism in decay. It's not due to a migrant crisis (1920s Italy hardly had a migrant crisis), the current migrant crisis is merely a trigger.

But yes, as long as we have capitalism, we are doomed to keep sliding into fascism.

Yeah, I misspoke a bit, but migrants are pretty much the perfect target for the internal and external enemy require to fuel fascist sentiments. Ask about fascism in the US 10 or even 5 years ago and the enemy would have been Muslims and/or blacks. Now, though those two groups will still be included, the focus is on South American refugees and brown peoples in general.

Though I would contend your definition a bit, I have to fully disagree that you guys are sliding into fascism you're already firmly into stage 3 and about wrist deep into stage 4

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
We'll be fascist the day Trump is asked to leave after losing an election and just says "no".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

How bout fascism? Or are we doomed to repeat it every time society goes through some fundamental change while also dealing with migrant populations?
american politics isn't suddenly going to go left when all the boomers die, the structural problems will remain and won't easily be removed, if they're removed at all

in most western countries, younger generations tend to be more sympathetic towards fascism, not less

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

get that OUT of my face posted:

american politics isn't suddenly going to go left when all the boomers die, the structural problems will remain and won't easily be removed, if they're removed at all

in most western countries, younger generations tend to be more sympathetic towards fascism, not less

Younger generations have way more left people in them than younger fascists + boomers...I mean what the gently caress?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

watch people and audiophiles being huge marks is a trans-generational thing, if you want the boomer adjacent stuff look for the stuff that's cultivated a ridiculous culture of masculinity through consumerism about it

in addition to stuff like harleys and anything "man cave" adjacent like vintage western posters, expect stuff like M1A Garands and Colt SAA's to drop to where they rightly should be as ancient surplus

my friend, rest his soul, used to make a shitload of money making convincing looking fake Rolexes and Olymupses and stuff via bootleg parts with a smattering of genuine parts, usually the part where the clockspring spins out

there's an actual interest in making genuine-looking fakes, but you have to really be into watches for that

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Koishi Komeiji posted:

These loving things:

They're like funko pops for lonely shithead boomers.

this is Western anime

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Soooo... Trumpism is a youth movement? Okay.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

I just thought of some

Davy Crockett commemorative knives
Time Life Collection of old loving music you can download (featuring one of the Monkees)
Stupid poo poo about the Beatles (get over them, boomers)
Woodstock nonsense
Elvis bullshit
Vietnam movies
Cats, the musical (I hope)

I was going to say young people like the Beatles but I just went and saw that movie Yesterday and everyone in the theater was 50+ so maybe not so much

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MunchE posted:

I was going to say young people like the Beatles but I just went and saw that movie Yesterday and everyone in the theater was 50+ so maybe not so much

imo boomers like ALL the beatles music (help & meet the beatles included) whereas young people & people with taste dont like the mediocre first two albums

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my boomer mom firmly believes you can only like the stones or the beatles, so she doesn't like the beatles. i do have her dad's copy of the white album, which is kinda cool. my grandpa was a good guy, despite sireing 5 boomers

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MunchE posted:

I like the Beatles fine, but saying they're the best rock and roll band ever means basically poo poo when we're talking about a genre of music that already die last decade, aged 60

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An insane mind posted:

Younger generations have way more left people in them than younger fascists + boomers...I mean what the gently caress?
the US and UK are the exceptions, a lot of european countries have youth populations that more sympathetic to the far right. it's true in Italy for sure

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Beatles are really good. if you don’t like them fine but they are objectively great. it’s really a historical quirk or accident that people as talented as McCartney and Lennon ended up together as teenagers and then fell into an industry suited to exploit their talents like that.

it would not have happened today.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The beatles are extremely good but they get an outsized proportion of airtime on a lot of stations. Even if something's great you can only hear it so many times.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Volcott posted:

The beatles are extremely good but they get an outsized proportion of airtime on a lot of stations. Even if something's great you can only hear it so many times.
this is every classic rock station ever and Stairway to Heaven

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

euphronius posted:

the Beatles are really good. if you don’t like them fine but they are objectively great. it’s really a historical quirk or accident that people as talented as McCartney and Lennon ended up together as teenagers and then fell into an industry suited to exploit their talents like that.

it would not have happened today.

the beatles are overrated poo poo that did zilch for music, hth

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volcott posted:

ur thinking of Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Militant Lesbian posted:

rough opinion about the band that paved the way for songs longer than 3 min long to play on the radio

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

scary ghost dog posted:

rough opinion about the band that paved the way for songs longer than 3 min long to play on the radio

they didn't write Classical Gas

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Militant Lesbian posted:

you don't have to like 'em but this take's scale is "solar system" at the very least

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

they didn't write Classical Gas

hey jude was 7 min long and got every music station to switch from AM to FM so they could play it

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

hey jude was 7 min long and got every music station to switch from AM to FM so they could play it

lol that is literally the worst beatles song

i really like the beatles but gently caress that song. and gently caress yesterday too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

lol that is literally the worst beatles song

i really like the beatles but gently caress that song. and gently caress yesterday too

its not worse than any of the songs on meet the beatles except by virtue of being three times as long

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
not this poo poo again!!!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

this is every classic rock station ever and Stairway to Heaven

Also Hotel California.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

the president supports A$AP Rocky and his loving problems so the Beatles are out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Beatles and Seinfeld are massively overrated and just another example of urban libs trying to foist their shallow and degenerate and plotless culture on the rest of us

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
cadre quality leftists do literally nothing

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

you don't have to like 'em but this take's scale is "solar system" at the very least

“the beatles are good actually”, a galaxy brain take by nursing home escapee World War Mammories

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

More like The Dung Beatles right

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

More like The Dung Beatles right

in lennon’s case, maybe The Wife Beatles

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

my boomer mom firmly believes you can only like the stones or the beatles, so she doesn't like the beatles. i do have her dad's copy of the white album, which is kinda cool. my grandpa was a good guy, despite sireing 5 boomers

heh, this is my boomer dad. he also likes the stones because his brain spiders tell him that some of their lyrical content is autobiographical. the stones aren't from a middle class, art school background, the beatles are. the stones were roaming the streets of east london until they were discovered by a music producer.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Donald Trump is the Beatles.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
goo goo covfefe

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Epic High Five posted:

The Beatles and Seinfeld are massively overrated and just another example of urban libs trying to foist their shallow and degenerate and plotless culture on the rest of us

Hell yes

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Volcott posted:

Also Hotel California.

I just hate the loving eagles alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Militant Lesbian posted: