Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I think, I THINK that Ippo is probably going to box again now that he's figured out what boxing actually is after so many years. If only he'd been tasked with developing himself or others sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think, I THINK that Ippo is probably going to box again now that he's figured out what boxing actually is after so many years. If only he'd been tasked with developing himself or others sooner.

it's all ippo's fault for not properly learning the lessons ~coach~ was trying to teach him

he would've been ready for the world stage with only 30 more title defenses

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He also has never taken the weights off, so between it and the fact he still does his roadwork will explain him not weakening physically from being absent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

it's all ippo's fault for not properly learning the lessons ~coach~ was trying to teach him

he would've been ready for the world stage with only 30 more title defenses

He renounced the title right before he fought Gonzales. (And lost.)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Fabricated posted:

He also has never taken the weights off, so between it and the fact he still does his roadwork will explain him not weakening physically from being absent.

He's also been carrying like 30 coolers full of ice into the fishing boat everyday.

You know, I wonder... is there such a demand for fishing tours that Ippo's mom would have to take the boat out to sea daily? If it was just a weekend thing I would buy it, but from what I remember when Itagaki and the manga guy started helping them, they treated it like a full-time job.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kal-L posted:

He's also been carrying like 30 coolers full of ice into the fishing boat everyday.

You know, I wonder... is there such a demand for fishing tours that Ippo's mom would have to take the boat out to sea daily? If it was just a weekend thing I would buy it, but from what I remember when Itagaki and the manga guy started helping them, they treated it like a full-time job.

Well they live on the coast in Tokyo the biggest city in the world. I imagine there would be some regulars that come out nearly every day to fish.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Will there be a satisfying enough explanation for Ippo returning to box? He either has brain damage and ignores it, his brain damage is healed through willpower or he was never punch drunk at all and everyone made a big deal about nothing. I don't see there being any option that isn't stupid or insulting to those with CTE.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

well they've already looked dead at the camera and said "maybe he's just not punch drunk" since i don't think he ever had an actual diagnosis? i might be misremembering

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

well they've already looked dead at the camera and said "maybe he's just not punch drunk" since i don't think he ever had an actual diagnosis? i might be misremembering

He was stated by the doctor as being healthy, but probably on the verge of becoming punch drunk. (Actually mentioning the way he fights as one of the reasons.) Stating that with enough time off he could fully recover his senses and return to the ring in a decent state, but he would be taking a big risk.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 18, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's finally going to realize that maybe he shouldn't let the other guy hit him in the head and he'll avoid brain damage that way

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tazman posted:

Will there be a satisfying enough explanation for Ippo returning to box? He either has brain damage and ignores it, his brain damage is healed through willpower or he was never punch drunk at all and everyone made a big deal about nothing. I don't see there being any option that isn't stupid or insulting to those with CTE.

he almost has brain damage, which means he's perfectly fine and is a coward for not returning to the ring immediately

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
At present, how old is Ippo? He ages so much in the anime.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

rest his guts posted:

Well he was 19 when he won the JBC title, so he's no older than 25 currently.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so at what point does the manga start glorifying kamogawa as some kind of coach deity despite him being poo poo

earlier on people aren't as reverent of him and even give him poo poo, it seems like the worse kamogawa got the more people in-universe started idolizing him

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

rest his guts posted:

i did the timeline and ages in this thread some time ago, and its been roughly a year since he "retired". i'll click my own post after this and edit it in

EDIT: here's the original post

another inconsistency in the timeline of the story: aoki and kimura are said to be freshman in the flashback when they meet takamura. then following getting kicked out of school there are month markers for how long its been. generously, there is about 8 months following them getting kicked out and their first match...which would put that at like 15-16 years old, and a license is only available at 17.

of note timeline wise takamura seems to quit school his senior year to go pro, he already has 2 fights done by the time he does so. so he should be say 17 years old at the time (younger than i thought really). ippo around this time is only 13, as hes 4 years younger than takamura and 2 years younger than aokimura. ippo joins up with the gym in his senior year iirc, so itagaki 15 -> ippo 17 -> aokimura 19 -> takamura 21 at this point. also kinda funny is that, it doesn't seem like it, but itagaki was likely boxing before ippo in even an absolute sense, not just relatively started earlier.

i believe its 1998 in the current story which would put the main cast at the following ages and fights:

itagaki, 23, 14 fights
ippo, 25, 25 fights
aoki, 27, 24 fights
kimura, 27, 25 fights
takamura, 29, 24 fights

so ippo and kimura are the most experienced in sheer number of fights, but takamura's had the most at a really high level considering he took the japanese title within just a few and has fought plenty of world #1 rankers and 3 champions already. if you count amateur bouts, itagaki will have the most but the amount is never really stated - he's the only one with a more typical amateur->pro career out of everyone in the gym.

few other interesting things at least to me:
takamura is now at the age when he referred to date as the "old fart". this probably ties in with his intent to quicken the pace in his belt hunt, but as he didn't take a 4 year hiatus it's unlikely his skills will deteriorate the way they did for date.

takamura won the japanese belt in 91, so he was 21 at the time, which is older than ippo when he won it. ippo was 20 when he fought date and lost, and still 20 when he fought sendou and won. the career trajectory isn't too different up to this point (aside from takamura dominating all his opponents, where ippo had notably difficult fights over and over) - takamura won the JBC belt in his 9th fight while ippo lost his first attempt in his 11th and won his second attempt in his 13th. chalk it up to people running from takamura i suppose, harder for him to get fights.

now itagaki's attempt is much later - i suppose a setback from that initial loss? his JBC challenge is his 14th bout at 23 years old, aaaand he lost so he's definitely not keeping up with the precendent established by the other two "geniuses" at the gym, even if he's grouped with them often.

kimura's belt fight comes in his 16th fight at age 23, more close to itagaki. of note, kimura's record was way way better in the older days. he was 9-1 at one point early on, but now in his last 7 fights hes drawn 3, lost 2 and only won 2. quite a change the more of a "joke character" he became.

aoki's first title challenge came latest of them all, at 24 after 16 fights as well. consistent, at least with kimura. not too much interesting about his career, its always been spotty.

world title stuff - takamura won the junior middleweight title from hawk in his 17th fight at age 25. not a lot of activity for him in those years, just in like with the whole "we can't really find you fights" thing. date actually fought for his world title younger than takamura, at age 24 he lost his first match against martinez, but it was only his 14th fight! kinda strange, guess he took the belt early and only fought when necessary. in 94 he fights ricardo martinez again and loses, putting him at 28/29 at this juncture. vorg's win is at roughly the same timeframe as the other two - 25 years old he beats mike elliot, but most interestingly is his record coming into the fight.. he's 10-2 prior, meaning his fight for the world title was only his 13th professional without even a stunning record beforehand.

finally, miyata's age corresponds pretty close with ippo - being 21 and in his 15th fight when he beats Gregory for the OPBF title. miyata's now 25 as well, which seems to be the magic number for going for the world title. morikawa's pretty consistent generally with the ages, i would expect the characters around this age bracket that are built up to be world contenders to take their chances pretty soon in the story.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Everything up until now has just been training for Ippo. He had to get hit with every kind of punch imaginable so he knows how to avoid them now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Everything up until now has just been training for Ippo. He had to get hit with every kind of punch imaginable so he knows how to avoid them now.

kamogawa: now that your skull has been blasted with every punch known to man, you are ready for the REAL training

ippo: what training is that

kamogawa: shut up figure it out yourself

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
By not training you, I have given you all the training you will ever need.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yinlock posted:

kamogawa: now that your skull has been blasted with every punch known to man, you are ready for the REAL training

ippo: what training is that

kamogawa: shut up figure it out yourself drive this log into the side of a hill with your skull

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

kamogawa: using this elaborate system of pulleys i will now blast your skull with every punch UNknown to man at impossible angles, the real fight starts here ippo

ippo: you're the best, coach

takamura: hey ippo wanna learn how to bloc*gets the poo poo beaten out of him by kamogawa's cane*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New chapter: https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1270/6067/1

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, Ippo, that's kinda a thing already...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Congrats to Ippo for inventing “the one-two”

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

Boco_T posted:

Congrats to Ippo for inventing “the one-two”

Lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
....He’s definitely punch drunk lol

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Congrats Ippo, you're now as knowledgeable about boxing as Takamura was before he even got INTO THE RING!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kamogawa, this dude is five or six years into a professional boxing career, did ya ever, y'know, teach him basic poo poo even a dilettante like myself knows?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Never a dull moment with Kengan Asura/Omega.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

Kamogawa, this dude is five or six years into a professional boxing career, did ya ever, y'know, teach him basic poo poo even a dilettante like myself knows?

I think he had an 8 year career.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"no one knows more about damage and injuries than ippo down there"

*FLASHBACK TO LIKE EVERY PREVIOUS FIGHT*

"ippo if you do the dempsey any more you're going to do permanent damage to your body, you have to stop"

"alright"

*IPPO PROCEEDS TO DO THE DEMPSEY 500 MORE TIMES*

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

learn by doing

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

This chapter would be so good if it was ...chapter 70, instead of chapter 1270

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Why is this being done so loving late holy gently caress. This is the loving worst coach

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol so many people have loving died waiting for ippo to become world champ

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I guess it's supposed to be a "back to basics" thing but it's about 1000 chapters and twice as many concussions too late for it to be meaningful at all

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is all leading back to the ring and if Ippo doesn't absolutely, unequivocally destroy his first opponent without taking much if any damage it was all pointless.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it should lead to miyata watching ippo actually box and having one of those naked foodgasms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ippo's going to take all of these accumulated lessons (The Left, stop waiting to duck in, don't get hit) and the moment the bell rings on his first match back in the ring, he's going to throw a jab from his corner and iaijutsu flash his way across the ring and instantly KO his opponent